IMDb > Upside Down (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Upside Down

Upside Down More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 14: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Despite the visuals this one is forgettable

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
11 July 2013

This seems like it's one of those movies where the makers came up with the idea, the premise and how they were going to pull it off. Than came the story, because the story is like the weakness aspect of this movie. I like the theme of, fighting even gravity for love. But it goes in a Romeo and Juliet direction where two lovers are separated by an obstacle. Except one of them have amnesia, yeah it's a very cliché love story. But what makes it somewhat stand out is the background and the environment the characters are in. Which is actually creative and the visuals are cool. But after couple of minutes, it just starts to lose it's flare. By the intro it seemed like it was going to lead to something big, but overall it goes in a pretty mundane direction. I guess it's alright for one watch because of the creative visuals but I don't really look forward to seeing this one again. The ending seemed rushed and not very satisfying, it does leave room for a sequel which won't happen. It's not a good film but it's isn't terrible either.

5.9/10

Inversed

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
30 September 2014

Upside Down is a visually stunning film set in a twinned world with gravities pulling in opposite direction, where people are literally upside down.

It is also a social commentary as one world is well off, with better opportunities, the other more deprived. It is also a love story at its core. Despite its visuals the science fiction/fantasy element of the story is confusing and leaves you puzzled. The film needs an opening narration but its done in such a cack handed way, you will be left confused about this dual gravity world. The explanation of this world needed to be much clearer.

The love story between Kirsten Dunst and Jim Sturgess is sweet, she is from above who met him, the boy from below when they were children. Years later, Sturgess a scientist gets a job at a corporation at top and pursues her by means of a gravity suit but it leads to danger as people from both worlds are not supposed to mix.

The plot may not be the strongest, but the actors play it nicely although Sturgess could had been more robust in the role and the script could had been more cutting. Still there is a lot of love in this low budget film, destined to be a cult film because of it is a visual treat.

Author: hazysistersunshine33 from United States
18 June 2014

Most of the stuff available for Netflix streaming aren't very good, but this was an acceptation. I'm surprised this one got past me. I don't remember it in the theaters. It must've been a limited release. It kind of reminds me of Elysium. Two worlds, the one on top has it good, the one down below is cruddy. Two star crossed lovers from each side come together against all odds, like a futuristic Romeo and Juliet. The most interesting part of the movie is the rules of gravity. If you come from below you are pulled to that side and if you were born above you are pulled to that side. There is a company called Tri-corp that both side go to work, so you see people walking right-side up and upside down or visa versa or what-ever. It's really weird and cool how they do it. Even objects from each side are pulled to the side of their origin. The visuals are pretty cool. At one point, Jim Sturgess has weights weighing him down to the top side and when he takes them off he flies up into the air and lands in the ocean on the other side. It's a really neat looking effect. Kirsten Dunst plays his true love from the other side, whom he meet as a child on a mountain top where they could see each other upside down from each other. It's hard to describe. You really need to see it just to see what I mean. There's a scene in a restaurant where some of the couples are dancing on the floor and some are dancing on the ceiling. That would be so funky to live in a word like that. The love story between the two is beautiful and heart warming. It's such an honest innocent love. Jim Sturgess is just great. I just love him and he does a great American accent, which doesn't surprise me.

An Old Fashioned, Whimsical Fairytale

Author: mindyfrostbite from Yellowknife, Canada
14 May 2014

This is NOT a sensible, practical story. It's NOT a futuristic sci-fi film, either.

I think the marketing was a touch off, because this is an old fashioned, whimsical fairytale. :)

So CHECK REALITY AT THE DOOR! I've seen complaints about a lack of logic here and there, in this movie. But in the very beginning - right in the beginning credits! - it's explained to us that this is a pair of worlds completely unlike our own. Completely different laws of gravity and physics apply, even!

You wouldn't watch Cinderella and complain about the impossibility of a pumpkin turning into a carriage, would you?! Follow along the same line of thought when watching this movie, and I think you'll find it to be a weird but sweet fantasy of a love story; visually wondrous, and something you could watch with children, too (I would have ADORED this movie, as a kid), though maybe not children who are very, very young.

I would suggest throwing the rules of 'our world' out completely, here. If you can't do that, you might end up spending the duration of this movie just picking it apart and not appreciating it at all. If you watch this movie with a light heart and storybook mentality, however, I do think it's one to really enjoy.

Could be better

Author: idk me
2 February 2014

The visuals are gorgeous and Jim Sturgess' acting was as good as I was expecting, while Timothy Spall did a great job, yet again, as a supporting actor. The idea of the movie, to me, was magical, however, at times it does become hard to keep up with the story, since it's so awfully developed. Several things were left unexplained, and all of a sudden the movie ends, and the viewers are left open-mouthed, trying to figure out a way to fill in the major plot holes themselves, and hoping the movie hasn't actually ended, wishing someone would explain the reason for the ending. I felt like they should've dedicated more than 10 minutes-ish to the conclusion of this story to explain it properly and not just throw it at you like a foot ball.Now, another problem is that the setting sometimes felt waaaay to digitalized and fake, which bothered me because it's hard to take a movie seriously when it's obvious that what you're watching was computer-made. There were two scenes where it felt like it was a video game. Anyhow, the idea of the parallel worlds impressed me (because of how good it is), but the physics around which the story untangles makes no sense at all. If you set apart all the story-problems about the movie, it sure is a greatly original concept. It really does bother me how every time a love story is about lovers from different worlds have to find a way to make their impossible love happen, the story gets called a "Romeo and Juliet cliché", when, honestly, it's not like only Shakespeare had the right to come up with that. I mean, just because the idea was performed already in the fifteenth century doesn't make him the owner of that concept. I believe that there's a great difference between a story of two lovers from parallel worlds who have actual limitations to consume their love and a story about two lovers from different "worlds" (to call them so) whose love only lasts for three days and don't have any real obstacles (and by real I mean obstacles that compromise their lives such as exploding or doing something illegal) to be with each other. With that being said, the idea of this movie is amazingly good, and anyone looking for good cinematography should watch this. Setting all the flaws I mentioned at the beginning apart, the movie is great and no one should miss it.

The science is lost on most

Author: izomiac from United States
24 January 2014

This movie uses a very interesting science fiction premise that is lost on most, judging based on the reviews. In short, it's a Romeo and Juliet story based on two tidally locked, geosynchronously orbiting binary planets, with one planet composed of matter and the other antimatter. There is no scientific consensus for how matter and antimatter interact via gravity, but one theory is that they repel, which is what the movie presumes. The orbital dynamics are sketchy (likely would require a binary star to push the planets together), but the "three laws of inverse gravity" succinctly summarize the net effects as perceived by our protagonists. A) The net force of gravity is in opposite directions for matter/antimatter, B) is a corollary of A, and C) matter/antimatter annihilate each other when they come into contact. C isn't explosive like how most action-oriented sci-fi portrays, and the gradual heating/burning process is actually somewhat realistic. Obviously the writers did their homework first, which is quite rare.

The medical side of the movie that drove the plot isn't nearly as realistic, but used standard movie rules. Beyond that, I thought the plot was entertaining enough. There wasn't as much new ground with the human dynamics, but it's a sci fi/fantasy film with good special effects. The premise kept me pondering while I got to admire some beautiful scenes, with a feel-good plot happening in the background.

Excellent Idea . Shouldn't have been a love movie

Author: denise-hasircioglu from South Africa
21 January 2014

So I just finished watching Upside Down for the second time and I gotta say, brilliant movie.

The storyline and concept is exceptional. One world being poverty stricken and "Imprisoned" and the other world leading a complete opposite quality style of living and at the same time, opposite gravity really added valuable insight and scientific excellence.

I have to mention that this topic is so original it could even be sequeled into a more epidemical movie with less "Power of love" branding Upside Down so obviously displays. Sure, seeing Kirsten Dunst fall in love with an adventurous orphan boy scientist who is desperate for the forbidden heart is fun and all. But I would like to see some more War of the Worlds action. Two worlds clash, nuclear war breaks out. Some continental and universal changes take place. Then eventually both worlds come to live in harmony.

Also I didn't really get the ending. How did the fact that Kirsten Dunst falling pregnant with twins allow her to stay at the bottom world? What would happen after she gives birth? Does she fall back up into the above world and take one of the babies with her? It's not like her genetics magically changed. And how does that manage to impact the two worlds into accepting each other at the end? It's all a bit half done with the conclusion. Felt almost like the production ran short on time and they had to rush through it. In my opinion; they should have spent less time trying to emphasize the obvious lack of chemistry between the two main characters and more time explaining what is actually going on between the two worlds and the scientific breakthrough the pink powder actually makes.

The graphics department gets a round of applause. The part where he climbs the tree on top of the mountain and catches the inverse rain while the clouds from both worlds collide ferociously around him. Fantastic!

To round it up; I give Upside Down 8 out of 10. It's not every day you come across a movie with such an original concept. I was excited from the start when the topic was unfolded in the narration. Gave me the positive energy to watch on. Perfect beginning, not so perfect ending. But still a dynamic and spirited film that I very much enjoyed.

Is love out if this world, the best if both worlds, or impossible love?

Author: OJT from Norway
10 January 2014

This a story with many difficulties. Imagine you had a first love you could never forget, living in a world you never are to visit, both out of physical and almost all other reasons. A tale of impossible love for you to work in as a life project.

First if all; To be able to take this is, you've got to have an open mind. Argentinian director Juan Solanas is said to have had the idea to this sci-fi love story in a dream. More likely a beautiful fable with sci-fi as a main idea. About impossible love relation, which inspires your mind to think differently. At least if it succeeds in what it's trying to do.

Upside down came as a surprise to me, as a well hidden gem. Because I had never heard if it before. And I'm usually quite informed when it comes to film releases. I love those kind of surprises

The film is happening in a world not to unlike ours, but it's about two worlds so close to each other that the skyline us a different world. Two worlds with both their own equally balanced gravities. Only connected through Transworld, the two worlds are like the poor undeveloped South and the prosperous and rich North, like we have in our own world today. A quite different universe, different from anything you've seen, but still giving you many great associations to our own concerns and problems.

It reminded me of the former East and West Germany, which I got to experience before the wall came down.The run down, bleach communist state under heavy surveillance, and the bright light and almost fluorescent free world, with lots of opportunities and with a prosperous future.

It's all done with beautiful scenes made from CGI. Imaginative, pretty, strange and a bit disturbing. I'm fascinated by the idea, which What makes this film work is mostly dud to the absolutely charming couple Jim Sturgess and Kirsten Dunst.

The fascinating story is encountering a few problems, but it's easy to overlook until it all are too much, concerning the pink powder. From the story loses it's grip on me. Still I think it's an exciting and interesting watch. So n the bed he story seems a bit underdeveloped, ruining what's been built up. Also it's not very suitable with the narrative voice n the beginning. It's forced.

Is there any other films like this? No, not really, but if you enjoyed this, I would recommend these titles:

1) "The bothersome man" when it comes to experience a travel to another world where you don't fit in.

2) "Cloud Atlas" when it comes to the complexity of a fairy tale.

3) "The fifth element" when it comes to the spectacular city surroundings.

4) "1984" when it comes to an illegal love affair in a world of surveillance. world.

5) "The Fountain" when it comes to the fable of it all.

6) "Mr. Nobody" when it comes to the impossible decisions concerning love.

7) "Code 46" when it comes to illegal relations in a future world.

8) "Blade Runner" when it comes to a gloomy, rainy future world.

Everything's pretty much OK... except the hero

Author: Dan Phillips from Texas
8 October 2013

As everyone correctly says, the visuals are gorgeous, and the premise is interesting. It's a little dizzying keeping track of what's doing what, and how; and the idea of two entire planets *that close* to each sounds like a disaster that can't help but happen, like, now. But it's essentially a simple and sweet story, told against a dazzlingly ambitious and well-executed backdrop.

Yet it wasn't really fun to watch. Why not? This one problem: the hero.

He's an idiot.

He isn't just impulsive and dream-driven; he's clueless, foolish, utterly selfish and dangerously irresponsible. He is constantly plunging his hand into fire and affecting a surprised expression when, time and again, it turns out to be hottish.

These are not unknown, minor, or subtle idiocies he commits; they are major, obvious, and unavoidable — yet in each case the actor affects this stupidly surprised expression, and one realizes there's not a single penny in that piggy bank. Yep, over and over again he plunges in without the ghost of a thought or preparation as to consequences.

This gets tiresome and irritating, particularly when it involves (as it inevitably does) him putting his beloved's life in danger. And when it happens, it isn't the failure of an otherwise-decent could-have-worked plan. It's because he has no plan, other than to act on impulse, no matter what.

For instance: we're not sure how or when, but he evidently has what we call "unprotected" sex with her. Leaving aside the immorality of the act, and given that he knows that every part of his body falls up on her world, what would be the effect on her of "unprotected" sex? (In fact, not just every part of his body falls up, but everything *from* his body falls up, as we are forced to see during a scene at a urinal.) What would the effect be on her, of carrying and delivering a child fathered by him — would that kill her, or make her increasingly unbearably miserable for the nine months? And what of the child? Would the child fall up? Or would it float in midair, unable to set foot on either world (he has done this with his "beloved," being buoyed by carrying her)? To what neither/nor life was he dooming this child?

Ah, but none of these questions stirs the placid surface of his dismally dim mind. And we know that if sex killed her, if the gestation period killed her, if his children were miserable freaks with no home, he'd greet it all with the same stunned, clueless, sha-zam stupidity with which he greets every other obvious consequence of his acts. You see, caring about any of that would involve thought, reflection, working out the law of consequences, caring (or even thinking!) about the consequences of his indulgence of his whims and desires. And he not only wants no part of any of that; he doesn't even seem to have a card-slot for it.

This is, I say, a profoundly idiotic man.

So without a hero to like, or respect, or are really even root for (unless it's Timothy Spall's character), that just leaves the visuals and Kirsten Dunst.

So... maybe watch with volume and subtitles off?

Ah, but you'll still see his stupidly bemused expression, over and over and over.

"Up there, they always win, down here, we always lose."

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
4 October 2013

This is a fairy tale of love, a boy from the wrong side of the tracks with a girl from the wealthy neighborhood. The unique setting is what makes this one different from all the rest.

It is a special world, where two planets almost touch each other, but go around their sun together. To make this work the author had to create a special set of rules, gravity from each world only had a pull on things from that world. So, if two people of exactly the same weight from each world managed to grab hold of each other, the gravity pulls would cancel and they would float in the space between. There is a cool scene where this actually happens.

The worlds seem to be about a few thousand feet apart, and the evil corporate giant is called Transworld, with oil wells on the poorer, lower planet, used to make electricity. They have built a large building which connects the two worlds, the middle is floor Zero, with negative numbers for floors towards the lower world and positive numbers for the floors towards the upper world. People from both worlds work there, but when they are in a common room one is upside down relative to the other.

When they were kids, Eden from the upper world and Adam from the lower world spotted each other when both were at very high mountain precipices. They visited often and as young adults Adam was able to throw a rope to Eden, and pull her down to his world, something that was strictly unlawful. They get caught, Eden has a fall, and grows up with partial amnesia. She forgets about Adam.

Kirsten Dunst is the young adult Eden, working for Transworld in the big building, and Jim Sturgess is young adult Adam, scratching to make ends meet in the lower world. They do have a common communications system and one day he spots her on TV, and is determined to reconnect with her. He has a whole host of issues to overcome to do so, but he is persistent. He has inherited an anti-aging formula from his aunt, and gets the attention of Transworld to hire him to develop his product.

The other key character is Timothy Spall as Bob Boruchowitz, a 31-year veteran with Transworld, who ends up helping Adam and Eden find ways to be able to meet.

This is not a movie to be analyzed too closely, to try to see if all the scientific conditions hold up. Because they don't, they can't. But that isn't important, any more than it is important to understand how Superman can fly or Jack's magic beans can grow into a giant beanstalk so quickly. The story is not about that, it is about two "soul mates" trying to find a way to be together.

I was able to see this on Netflix streaming movies, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus the visuals are great and inventive. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a different and entertaining movie.

Jan 2014 edit: I just saw it on Blu-Ray and what a difference! Great picture and great surround sound.

Page 8 of 14: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]