IMDb > Upside Down (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Upside Down

Upside Down More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 16: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

A visionary film

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
16 November 2013

Adam lives in a world that is quite literally upside down - or right side up depending on how you're looking at it. A more accurate way to put it, perhaps, is to say that he lives in a "lower" world, while a "higher" world - which looks much like his world, only upside down - hangs above his head at all times. And if you're having a hard time envisioning what it is I'm describing, then I guess you'll just have to watch "Upside Down" for yourself to get the full picture. And what a picture it makes, as Adam falls in forbidden love with a girl from this reverse-gravity place, a land where all the wealthy people live and which is run by an all-powerful vulture corporation that literally looks down on the people below and runs their lives as much as possible - making this perhaps the farthest-out take on "Romeo and Juliet" ever put on film.

Adam decides to go to work for the TransWorld Corporation when he finds out that his Juliet, known as Eden, works there. The problem he has in getting together with her is twofold: 1) she is suffering from amnesia as a result of an accident and no longer remembers him, and 2) it is virtually impossible for anyone from the bottom world to cross over to the top one without being detected and summarily punished for the violation. Bob has also invented an anti-wrinkle cream based on the principles of anti-gravity that he hopes to market to the world above. But his main reason for being there is to reconnect with the woman he loves (and don't think the two characters don't wind up living up to their allegorical names in the end).

Written and directed by Juan Solanis, the French/Canadian "Upside Down" is one of those rare science fiction films that actually expands the limits of one's imagination. Overflowing with you-really-have-to-see-it-to-believe-it art direction and visual effects, "Upside Down" takes us to a place we've never been to before and will likely never see again. It's simply that unique and visionary.

Jim Sturgess and Kirsten Duntz are utterly winning, charming and engaging as the couple caught between two opposing gravitational forces, and Timothy Spall is equally fine as Adam's co-worker from the upper world who befriends this starry-eyed newbie from below. And even amidst all the dystopic "Brave New World"/"1984"/"Fahrenhiet 451" - style tropes and trappings, Solanis has managed to create one of the most thoroughly captivating love stories we've encountered in quite some time.

A movie not to be missed, and, when once seen, never to be forgotten!

It's fiction people - and it's beautiful

Author: mcpme
23 January 2014

This is a great love story that doesn't try to make perfect sense of an unreal phenomenon - why bother with that when it's the love that makes the story?

The writing is quaint and easy to digest - it's like an old soul, but modern at the same time. This is translated perfectly in the way the visuals were executed - it's not an effects marvel, but more importantly it's just a genuine pleasure to watch

Kirsten is beautiful and totally believable - her emotions flow effortlessly into her character and onto the screen. And Jim Sturgess plays the love swept dreamer equally well

I just think it's refreshing to see a film go back to the roots of story telling, so we can all just relax and enjoy a great movie that leaves some welcome room for our own imaginations

Great idea, terrible ending

Author: evan_harvey from Australia
31 January 2013

Aside from the unrealistic gravity, the idea is good. In theory.

There was so much potential for real commentary on first world vs third world, but it's largely left by the way. There's some mild mention of it, but it's left almost completely alone. Why do the two worlds shun contact? What do the people chasing the two main characters think? Is there any sympathy between the two worlds? So much wasted potential.

The plot focuses on a love story, which wasn't a bad way to go, but it eschews real story for rushed scenes and SFX. Terrible pacing.

SFX were nice. Acting was okay (but zero chemistry). The cinematography was okay. The set designs were great.

But there was no depth to the story. At all. No emotion, no tension, no really great scenes, no sense of danger. Characters went from one world to the other seemingly with impunity. Sure they're not supposed to, but it seems very easy. The director completely failed to deliver anything even remotely resembling tension or dramatic suspense. Flat, completely flat.

They also never explain how the main character can visit the other world and not get an intense blood rush to the head.

The script was really poorly written. Badly paced, poor timing, and nothing at stake. How did the director manage to screw it up this badly? Didn't anyone point any of this out to him? The dialogue was okay. The only reason the film has any value is because of the interesting concept and great visuals.

Why was the ending terrible? Because it made no sense. Maybe I missed some of it, but it went from despair and "I'll never see her again" to "Our love has just miraculously changed EVERYTHING". WTF? They're separated (after a semi-dramatic and completely emotionless chase scene), but then just decide to meet up, despite being warned against it and threatened with consequences.

5 out of 10 for soooo much wasted potential.

I'm so angry about other reviews saying it's a bad movie

Author: Tu Nguyen from United States
3 November 2013

I'm so in love the concept of two worlds. One is called Up Top and One is called Down Below even if when you stand on either of two, the other's in the same position to you, I mean on top. Should'n they both be called Up Top or Down Below or even be not classified like that? Don't you see the metaphor? About discrimination and hierarchy in our real world.

And why Eden can be back to love Adam? Because amnesia makes the memories away but not emotion. It's beautiful meaning and I would like to see that motif repeating, it's acceptable cliché to me. Eden may not have memories back but she feels like she always has feeling for him, so she believes those memories are real.

Acting is not so bad like others said. If less it's boring if more, it's like musicals.

And I'm just so angry about people asking silly questions like why Adam's clothes got burnt, watch the movie again please as it's explained at the beginning already.

easy lovestory with very low background

Author: koehler-paul
15 January 2013

the artwork really is something here, it looks amazing, and the movie has some (not only a few) nice looking surroundings. But thats mostly it

Not only do the main characters lack of chemistry, these two worlds lack a lot of physics and economics. They are way to many things that just don't add up, and that sickens me in movies. There are some nice references to the whole two colliding worlds/ adam and eden/ upper class - lower class (and the role of partnership and love in each ones). But Jesus Christ, there are so many logical flaws and mistakes, i really couldn't take anything serious here. It's the same old formula "nice twist/ world" + "nice actors" (i don't like her that much) + most common standart story instead of thinking through and let the world live in itself.

Visually it's great plot, not so much

Author: rddden from United States
27 November 2016

Patema Inverted came out the same year after releasing a Web preview a year earlier it is very similar to Upside Down with the world being split in half by gravity. Upside Down does not do a great job with character development entry at all. The world feels more real than the characters. I have the impression that someone saw the 4 part Web series for Patema Inverted the year before and said "we can do that". The effects are great in this film though. Kudos to the digital effects team. I would recommend Patema Inverted instead. It is animated but is a better overall movie. This is a special effects exercise with a plot thrown in at the last minute.

Terrible science, nice visuals, flat/generic story, mediocre acting.

Author: bluerevenge
25 July 2016

Upside Down is an attempt at a novel twist of a story of two planets and opposite gravity intertwined with a "forbidden love" love-story arising out of typical prejudices imposed by one of the two "sides" on the other. I.e. Other than the setting, the rest is a pretty generic "Romeo & Juliet" bit.

I had heard of this movie before and was interested in seeing it but never put much effort into doing so. But when I saw the 3D Blu for $8 in a grocery store bargain bin, how could I refuse? So how does it do?

First off let's get to the "science complaints". The movie does not hold any scientific water. However it's not just that "some people are too picky" or that the science is merely "incorrect", it's instead absolute nonsense. It's one thing to have some minor flaw in an explanation or something that could only be plausible in the most strict/rare cases, but to have something that even a 3rd grader could (and should) see is downright preposterous is another story. Unfortunately, that's what this is.

Still despite this annoyance being clear in the first sequence of the film, I watched the rest without thinking about it (suspension of disbelief and all that).

Let's think of it as a *fantasy* romance movie instead of a sci-fi one, shall we? Even if we forget about the "science" they have going on completely, it's unfortunately still not a very good movie. The visuals are nice at times but really, the movie just isn't good. The story is a bit flat, the narration by the lead seems to have an odd over-enthusiastic tone, and it's just nothing that special. It's a bit hard to rant or rave about anything. With bad movies you can go on about just how bad it is; with good movies you can give a lot of praise; with this one you're just left with not much to say.

The 3D (again I purchased the 3D Blu-ray version of it) is pretty good but for all the reviews I'd read about it, I was kind of expecting *spectacular* 3D and didn't really get it. It's has some very good 3D at times, but it's not the best 3D Blu out there either.

As for the content, I ended up thinking of it as a "poor man's Gattaca," with a more silly premise, a very bland/shallow story, and worse acting. Sturgess certainly ain't no Hawke, and the rest of the cast doesn't hold up too well in comparison either. Granted Dunst is not a bad actress but she didn't do anything special here. I hate to say it but, overall, In Time was a better and more enjoyable film than this (and I can't even stand Timberlake) as it had a much better premise. In Time, I can watch that again and again and still like it for the story; this film, I watched it once and don't really have much desire to pop it in ever again.

I gave this a 5/10. I thought I was being generous due to the visuals, the work put into the opposite gravity concept (and showing it on-screen), and the 3D. Otherwise I might have given it less. It's not a terrible movie and the 3D disc is probably worth the $8.00 I paid, but certainly no more than that. It's worth a watch, but don't be disappointed when you find out it's really just a mediocre film.

Skip this, see Patema Inverted (2013)

Author: Johnjronald-571-398268 from United States
20 March 2016

The visuals in this film are drop dead gorgeous, and I mainly kept watching to see the camera work. I had already seen the anime movie Patema Inverted, which came out in 2013 (after this movie) and had very similar plot elements, but told the love story much more competently than this film. The final kiss-"I love you" is so unearned!...I think the script writer focused so much on the "mind- blowing sci fi*" elements (*read: silly elements) that the love story got very short shrift. The priorities should have been reversed...the "science" is patently nonsense, just a vehicle to tell the love story. Patema Inverted understands this and goes with it. Upside Down does NOT, and gets lost in the details of the strange world. There is a legitimate way to explore this strange world, as allegory, a la absurdist humor like in Terry Gilliam's BRAZIL, say, but not by taking the "science" of it all too seriously. The romance of this story should've borrowed a page from, say, Adam Sandler & Drew Barrymore's Fifty First Dates...that would have made this a much better film. Adam comes off as less endearing than creepy-stalkery and Eden, to her credit, reacts as you might expect, at least initially. There are some very humorous moments in this movie, some intentional (bathroom scene in upworld) some not (I could't help laughing at Adam getting the "hot foot" and running through the streets with his shoes on fire...I know it's supposed to be a serious dramatic moment where we care about his fate, but I could not stop laughing). This movie is on par with Jupiter Ascending...it's a pretty but dumb science fiction yarn with an underdeveloped love story...it feels like a student film with an outsized budget than a quality movie.

Cheesy Romantic wanna be sci-fi - well, not quite

Author: CelluloidDog from United States
1 December 2015

Creative visuals mark this romantic science fiction. As you might tell from reading other reviews and synopsis, it's more fiction than science. Low ratings for this film revolve around the concept of gravity and how it really doesn't work in the movie. But that's what this movie and other movies (science fiction) like Gravity does. More fiction than science. No problem. The story is quite endearing as Jim Sturgess plays the lead romantic anti-gravity hero (or anti-hero for short). His character from Down Below is quite cute as he chases childhood friend played by Kirsten Dunst from the Up Above. Kirsten has never looked more beautiful but due to an accident their forbidden love entailed, she has amnesia. And Adam tries hard to make her remember. Does he succeed? Adam chases Eve hard...no it's really Eden until they get chased by snakes (or the border police in this case). The movie is a play on words and modern society where we often see insurmountable gaps between the poor and rich, between the powerful and the helpless. A modern tale of a caste system. Perhaps it gets inspiration from Romeo and Juliet , just like West Side Story. But it's neither story, and falls short of what it aspires to be. Perhaps it relies too much on CGI rather than a real story.

So what's missing? First, a weak script and plot which could have been more interesting given the complexity of the landscape. Aside from the mirror worlds, the visuals actually fall short. We see too much CGI today and sometimes overdone with blue tints mark a lack of true cinematography. The bluish tint, usually associated with horror and science fiction doesn't give a warmth to the film but whenever Eden shows up, it has a golden hue. After a while, one grows a bit tired of the scenes and wish for something to happen. Otherwise the special effects are not that interesting since it's really only limited to what gravity could do.

We cheer for the characters but it's too trite. Still it's a pleasant story, quite predictable. Real rating is about a 6.5-6.8. Somewhat above average and worth seeing if you like romance with a little spectacular background.

existentialist love story

Author: snigdhoshovon from Bangladesh
23 January 2015

This movie looked so promising based on it's trailer. the visuals were absolutely gorgeous.The plot premise was such an interesting idea; star-crossed lovers separated by the science of their universe. I was excited to watch it.Very well produced SciFi. This is one movie that was completely fresh and unique, sure the love story has been done hundreds of times but the setting in which they do it is the first time I've seen anything like that.

If you're more of a scifi fan than a romantic fan then this will pull the two worlds closer together.

Saw This Movie and made your life upside down for a couple hours .