IMDb > Upside Down (2012/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Upside Down

Upside Down More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Astronomically dumb

Author: dvpumas-612-687454
25 February 2013

I will keep it simple.

I love science fiction and I understand that sometimes not everything can be logical. For example, any movies where you can jump through time have problems in the fact that they are not really linear and mistakes are made but this is perfectly fine to me.

Science fiction, in my opinion, can make you dream and believe some unrealistic ideas could be real or at least feasible.

This movie is awful. The plot makes no sense and if you are more than 5 years old, knows that planets aren't flat and that to have a sunrise/sunset they need to rotate in some way then this movie is definitely not for you. And it gets worse but I won't spoil the movie.

Not worth watching

Author: Tripmain (reptile@africaonline.co.zw) from Harare, Zimbabwe
7 February 2013

This movie is absolutely not worth watching. Trailer is kinda catchy but the movie itself is ridiculously stupid and the main actor is really annoying. Without wanting to offend anyone, he looks extremely stupid and his acting is extremely bad. Definitely don't recommend watching, you will just waste 2 hours of your life! Story line does not make sense at all. There are stupid attempts at creating dramatic situations which are so short you don't realize what the hell is going on. Main actor's constant stupid decisions and childish attempts to be with his girlfriend after 10 years of not seeing her add up to the whole nonsense. Really, a complete waste of time.

Plagiarize With Cheese Storyline

Author: aero-windwalker from United States
16 February 2013

This movie is a plagiarism of the award-winning short of similar story except it adds on tons of ridiculous cheese elements and found two good looking actors for the main character. The idea of duel gravitation only really works for short movies, not for full length story. It doesn't explain itself from a physic stand point and it doesn't feel romantic because it is simply too long to play the cute idea card - besides because the movie really only use the idea as a plot, not the center piece (which in the short it is a metaphor of relationships - that often bounds two very different persons together), and since the world is so big, too much distractions are involved, questions and conflicts become about life and death, instead of cute and romantic - the drama is too intense, and makes no sense. It turns a cute romantic short film into some big drama that doesn't seem to be necessary at all.

Nice paint job, but its rusty under the hood

Author: joshuaprice-swi
30 January 2013

Two Siamese-esk worlds are linked by chance in an endless tandem existence floating through the galaxy, at some points only about 50 feet separate them. Each has its own gravitational pull that governs anything that originates on its respective planet. So when Adam (from the bottom planet called "down-below) and Eden (from "up-above") fall in love, they have more in their way then just the social differences that the planets have instituted. Down-below is a poverty stricken dirge reminiscent of cold war era Russia while those Up-Above live in the lap of luxury with bright sunshine, wealth and pristine tidiness. The movie follows Adam as he battles both physical and social odds to reconnect with Eden, who was injured years ago in an accident and now has amnesia, leaving her unaware that they had ever shared a love that could defy gravity.

I so badly wanted this movie to be good. The effects were stunning, the idea was clever and even the mediocre acting was bearable. Now a lot of reviews have bashed the fact that the movie's physics are completely in feasible, but come on. Its a sci-fi movie. Are you going to complain that just because Superman comes from another planet doesn't mean he has the power of flight or have heat vision. NO, its a freaking movie. My main issue wasn't the science, but the writing. If the writing lacks continuity and depth, nothing can be done to keep the viewer engaged instead of just being awe struck at the visuals. It felt as though the writer had an original good idea, but every additional concept watered it down so much so that most of the plot devises are completely disregarded by the end. For example, in the opening monologue/montage, Adam describes bees that make a pollen that is gravity neutral. But the bees and flowers are never shown, rarely mentioned and feel more like an afterthought then a main tie in. It never even shows Adam in a field that could have flowers in them, but yet he has the magical pink powder they produce on him all the time.

Almost every facet of development was left uncovered. It left the characters lacking, the story dependent on coincidental plot devises (guys with guns randomly showing up to halt Adam and Eden's engagements), and by the end of the film you will scratch your head wondering "How/why the hell did that happen?". Like going to the Grand Canyon, for about 20 minutes you will "ooooooo" and "awwwww" but after that you realize you've been staring at a big hole for 2 hours.

Outstanding Movie but is so Under-rated

Author: davidh94-452-813171 from United Kingdom
30 January 2013

I saw this when I visited Canada and I have to say ... This film was outstanding. It was a perfect romance film with an excellent cast and stunning visuals.

This movie is under-rated as people will mark it down for its one and only flaw ... Physics. Stop judging this film just because the physics are wrong, it is a different universe. It's basically marking an alien film down because aliens don't exist (my own opinion). It's just a movie with a compelling story.

I really loved this film and would love to watch it again. The story is excellent and the connection between the two characters is amazing.

(This is my first time writing a movie review)

A Magical Fantasy Romance

Author: tommydavies13 from Bristol, UK
24 March 2013

Firstly, Upside Down is breathtakingly beautiful. If any other film this year comes close to the gorgeous cinematography used in this then I will be amazed. From lingered shots of the gap between the two worlds to the confines of an inverse office, a lot of thought and care has gone into little aspects that make Upside Down look stunning. The Inverse shots and topsy-turvy camera-work take about 40 minutes to get used to but once it happens, I felt truly absorbed in the world created here, so much so that I wished for a TV series, or a video game to explore it further such is the vividness of the creation. This can also be accredited to the, at times, almost ethereal quality the score takes on, especially when highlighting key moments. To oversimplify the plot, its a Romeo and Juliet esque story with themes of Corporate Mismanagement and the disparity between the rich upper and lower classes. For a film that really sells itself on the uniqueness of its fantasy/Sci Fi premise, it carefully straddles the line between artsy and entertaining, only occasionally descending into melodrama. Furthermore, Jim Sturgess and Kirsten Dunst both give excellent performances as the star crossed lovers, never letting the in addition to a lovely turn from Timothy Spall. In Summary, Upside Down is a fairly simple tale, told in an extraordinary way, from gorgeous showcase moments to simple touches, it manages to amaze and engage the audience in a tale that has been told in many different ways before, and thats quite some feat.

Spoilers......Sort Of

Author: J. H. from Boston
30 October 2015

You can't leave a decent review without discussing some details. People expect a lot from movies these days and one wrong thing will make the film awful.

Thing is, there was more than one thing.

We were told there are twin worlds. They share a sun, but each one has the opposite gravity. Didn't they sit around the table while working the details out thinking "Well, won't viewers get really annoyed after seeing people and furniture upside down constantly?"

The answer is an emphatic YES. Still trying to get rid of the headache.

Secondly, these are twin worlds.....not Earth.

Yeah, NOT Earth, yet they all managed to speak English (Earths universal language) and managed to play music with a singer singing in Italian I believe. That would mean these completely different planets have Italy?

Then, they also had people, on two completely different planets then Earth, invent the suit and tie, bicycles, alcoholic drinks with the same martini glasses we use, make-up for women, electricity and on and on and on.

All that has been invented yet the freaking BEES were different. Lol Buzz!

Horrible movie.

Solid Movie

Author: Xlyfindel from United States
14 September 2015

First, I'll address my own feeling towards this movie. It's just a little bit too romantic for the amount of Sci-Fi present. The discordant themes just don't work for me. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief just so far for making the interesting science parts work, but asking for reinterpretations of classic fairy tale tropes on top of that is a little too much. One or the other and it might keep my attention in a good way. As it is I just can't stop with the nitpicking of just random absurdities on either end. What I really did enjoy was all of the fantastic shots allowed for by the double gravity of the story. The visuals in this movie are very impressive and well done. I also can't fault the acting at all, both leads are convincing and endearing, with a roster of various memorable support. I'd like to like this movie, and I've watched it more than a couple times because my girlfriend loves it, but it just hasn't grown on me at all.

Unsatisfying

Author: bruce-arrington from United States
23 August 2013

I was particularly intrigued as to why the movie made so little money as recorded on IMDb. The trailer looked fascinating with its awesome special effects art. After watching the film, however, I understand why it did so poorly.

What frustrates me the most is that you have suspense and a good amount of tension built up throughout the story up until the end. Then it was like everything was dropped. Ideas. Imagination. Everything.

Okay, so we have a main character that lives on the 'below' poor world and his girl-to-be lives in the 'above' rich one. And the law states (the reason is never explained adequately)they are not supposed to mingle, talk etc. But of course they do and fall in love, despite being shot, falling, losing their memories, etc. etc.

The main character is ingenious and he figures out ways to get 'up there' without being caught, until the end when he is, and he 'loses everything'.

So at that point I figured the hero would figure out a way to solve his problems, maybe fight back a little and win SOMETHING for him and his world. But no, he gives up and retreats to his poor shoddy house. But hey, there's always the minor character who figures a way for her to come down to him, and so everything is ... is...

WHAT THE?

I want to scream, "Where is the climax?" Beautiful art work only goes so far in a movie like this. Without a satisfying ending where the main character does something to overcome, it just falls flat. And this one certainly did. Oh yes, they left the door open for things yet to come (especially since she is somehow pregnant with twins), but I have no intention of seeing it to learn what happened. If the first movie doesn't deliver, then I can hardly think of how the second one will.

Awesome visuals, mediocre story

Author: brchthethird from United States
14 November 2014

While featuring some jaw-dropping visuals, this movie fails to deliver an interesting story. The main problem is that, despite the fairly cool conceit that drives the plot, the romance between the two lead characters isn't developed particularly well, and the chemistry is just a little bit off. Mind you, the performances are OK, but it all seemed rather cliché and formulaic. Add to that some really obvious plot contrivances and happy coincidences and you have a story which falls apart at the slightest bit of scrutiny. I'll also dock it some points for having an intro which is heavy on exposition and voice-over narration, which sets up the movie in a rather clunky way. Still, the visual effects are top-notch and there are a couple of funny moments which happen as a result of the world which the filmmakers constructed. There also seems to be an attempt at metaphor due to the leads' names being Adam and Eden. Maybe they're talking about man's attempt to reclaim a personal paradise, or something. Still, the romance in the story has been done many times over, and the way in which the plot sticks to it in rote fashion severely dampens the experience. Still, it's worth seeing maybe once.