IMDb > Karthik Calling Karthik (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Watch it for Farhan, Farhan and Farhan

Author: puneet-kkv from India
4 March 2010

Title said enough about the protagonist so I am coming to others things. Story looks inspired from 'Fight club' (Brad Pitt, Edward Norton) of a mentally ill guy whose sub-conscious mind tries to control him, but the movie takes this idea one step ahead. During the first part I was sure about the ending but in middle I really got caught in the suspense and didn't have any clue about the climax. The script writer/ director has done a brilliant effort making no flaws which normally Hindi suspense movies are full of. Movie starts smoothly, with brilliant acting skills shown by Farhan Akhtar. As film progresses, it starts attracting more. Even if you have seen Fight Club and have an idea about the problem, you will also feel the suspense for at least an hour after intermission. So I will suggest you to watch it so as to cheer the new wave Hindi film industry is going into.

A sleeper hit

Author: sdreelin from United States
11 April 2014

I bought this because I am a huge fan of Deepika Padukone and ended up loving it for the work that Farhan Akhtar brings to it. I never heard much about this flick, and was pleasantly surprised how well crafted the story line is. Basic descriptions make you think it's another Bollywood romance, and romance is there, but it's not overtly gushing as some films have nowadays. The crafting comes with the small props like the Rubik's Cube that pops up in several scenes, the sound of Karthik's heartbeat when the scene is intense, the camera angles that make you feel like you are part of the scene, or the music playing that is just right for the moment. As you watch the movie the plot becomes believable and you start to feel for Karthik. Deepika's character, Shonali, is portrayed perfect. Not as some way out of reach girlfriend, but as someone approachable, even someone without any social skills. All the side characters play their rolls perfect and contribute to the story without stealing the thunder from Farhan and Deepika. It's has a perfect mix of romance, drama and mystery thrown all together in a beautiful mix.

Well Done Movie

Author: uncle_g1234 from United States
5 August 2011

Preceding reviews have probably hashed over details, so I won't retrace those steps. I only say these were stretching roles for Farhan and Deepika, good roles, roles they did well.

I can't claim to have seen too many movies about mental illness in my years. Equus, I Didn't Promise You A Rose Garden, Looking for Mr Goodbar, Woh Lamhe are a few. Honestly, I don't think any were done better than this movie. They played it like a thriller, but the mystery turned out to be mundane. People finding success lethal is a familiar story. A couple of tricks in the plot were a little wobbly, I won't specify what they are. But the final explanation wasn't terribly improbable. Fact is that many wrongs have been done unknown to the person who did them.

I forgot that Shefali Shaw was in the cast, so when they first show her, my reaction was "Juhi!" She absolutely looked like Juhi in 13 Dewarein. But for many movies now, I've really appreciated Shefali, so it wasn't too disappointing that it wasn't Juhi.

So anyway, I rank it 8 of 10. It was ambitious and the principals showed themselves well. So wonderful to see Deepika in such unlikely roles.

Part hit part missed call

Author: Manoj Arya from India
4 March 2010

John Houston's Maltese Falcon (1941) has a memorable scene. Humphrey Bogart's Sam Spade creates quite ruckus outrageously shouting at the "Fat man", breaking a glass for the effect snapping he means business and giving him a deadline. He walks out with a grin on his face facing audience happy with the bluff-show he put up just in there. Protagonist Karthik is no Sam Spade. He is shy and reserved, quite a loser in life. But after a 5 am call his life is turned upside down. He walks in the office, floors his boss with his worth, bags the job, money, new luxury cabin, position and then like in the same vein as Bogey chortles with the getaway and so are we.

Before this transformation we meet him as a sad figure for sure. We see him being bullied then fired by his boss. Alone on his birthday with zero social-life and unnoticed by his long crush (Deepika, gorgeous presence) after years of working in same office. He tries to commit suicide. A call saves his life. Strange thing voice identifies himself as Karthik. Spooky? Yes. It changes his life. All things negated earlier are now reality. Call becomes his secret. Central conceit of the film forms its title.

Film is pitched in as a thriller, a psychological one and when romance of story dominates and marks the peak moments, it's not a good sign. Frankly, conceit is weak and guessed before I got in my seat. Lurching in second half movie never tightens its grip on audience. Still it sparks with witty moments not to forget this an attempt which tries to divert from the conventional cinema.

A word for Farhaan. He established himself as one contemporary breed of directors who makes urbane and smart mainstream films is definitely emerging as promising actor. He made his acting debut with Rock On! followed by a brilliant feat in Luck By Chance. He is like James Stalwart to me. Understated and striking.

For him alone I can recommend this film but honestly overall it's partially worth. So final verdict – Rent it.

Worth a Watch !!!

Author: nakhetejas from India
27 February 2010

Karthik Calling Karthik tells us the story of Karthik. A man who is a loser in all aspects of his life. Everything in his life is going wrong until he receives calls from a person calling himself Karthik.

Suddenly the life of Karthik changes with these phone calls and he achieves success in life. But he does not know anything about the anonymous caller and why would he want to help him. After a few twists and turns Karthik finally finds out who is the other Karthik.

The main aspect of the movie is its writing. This movie is very well written with some very good dialogues and many twists and turns. Farhan Akhtar gives a very good performance as Karthik. This movie is an edge of the seat thriller, really worth a watch.

Trust Bollywood to mess up a good plot

Author: prakashiam from India
5 April 2011

I watched the movie on DVD and I fast-forwarded at least 30 minutes. Someone earlier commented that it is an excellent musical romantic thriller! What genre is that? It doesn't matter if you had actually planned to make an edge-of-the-seat thriller, the India film industry feels the need to throw in romance and a couple of songs to attract viewers. I had hoped things would change after Ram Gopal Varma's Kaun but looks like we still need to wait.

The acting is mediocre at best and direction techniques have been ripped off from movies ranging from "Gladiator" to "Lock Stock And Two Smoking Barrels"

A predictable romantic flick but not a thriller!

Author: Vikas SS from Mumbai, India
4 March 2010

Following the success of "Rock On" and "Luck by Chance", Farhan Akhtar seems to have taken a serious plunge into acting. The self professed 'method' actor dons the role of a troubled man batting his ambitions, emotions, and himself in débutante Vijay Lalwani's supposed thriller. While it defies its genre, KCK scores brownie points for Farhan's believable performance, oodles of romance and some songs.

Karthik Narayan (Farhan) works for Construction Company where his colleagues take credit for his work and boss (Ram Kapoor) abuses him openly. Notwithstanding that he is a CA and an IIM topper, his timidity renders him obscurity, to such an extent that his crush Shonali (Deepika Padukone) is unaware of his existence. Well, considering that it was such a small office, this premise is actually ridiculous, nevertheless.

When suicide seemed to be his only option, things change for good when a mysterious morning caller claiming to be Karthik advices him on repairing his life. In no time, he has a better job in the same company and is romancing Shonali. The transformation from introversion to boldness is neat. Without resorting to overdone machismo, Farhan's portrayal of guarded optimism makes the Karthik believable.

An hour into the movie, things are going is good. So, it's time for a conflict. Shonali learns about the calls and convinces Karthik to visit a psychiatrist. So you know, what comes next. The caller suddenly chooses to pull the plug on Karthik's good life. With no job, woman or savings, he travels to a blind destination and lives his life in a blissful world without phones, in a performance that convinces you to pity him for his plight.

As much as I would have loved to be critical about its plot-holes, it would be difficult to do that without revealing the suspense, if at all there is any. Towards the end, you know what is in store but wonder what would fill up the rest of its minutes. If this was supposed to be the suspense, then lo, we really have a thriller! Repetitive dialog and unemotional dubbing, the bubonic plague of Bollywood flicks figures here too.

A stunner Deepika romancing an average and shorter Farhan is definitely not my idea of on-screen romance. But, this ironically is its strong point. Acting seems to be an insurmountable challenge for Deepika, who is at her worst in the scene where she breaks up with Karthik. The mean phone in the film has rather bettered her. Ram Kapoor who has taken time off from playing 'brother' on Swayamvars has done well too.

To his credit, Farhan Akhtar's twice as much effort to justify two Karthiks in the movie's name is commendable. But it still comes across a love story but not a thriller. I'm not really recommending it, but if you still want to watch it, I'll say, don't expect too much.

Not like previous Farhan's Movies

Author: Mohammed Hussain from India
26 February 2010

Karthik calling Karthik seems to be a low budget movie with a fewer star cast, unlike his previous movies. This one does not have a ensemble star cast as ' Luck By Chance ' or trendy touch like ' Rock On ', instead the movie is bit darker and seems to loose it touch in the second half, At some points you feel that the movie is dragged little too much, this could have been made as a 30 minutes episode on some thriller TV series. Any way this is not an entertainer you get bored after watching 1 hr of it.

The movie was all about Farhan and he has done a good job being Karthik "He will definitely make it to the best actor category in all the major Indian Awards" he has a completely different look and manages to surprise audience with his performance, deepika looks glamorous but does not have much role to play compared to the male lead. Acting was good enough and they manage to make you laugh, over all movie is a one time watch for the suspense it has which later disappoints at the end.

I would add its music to my music collection but i don't think this movie will make it to my Movie collection, i rather watch this movie on T.V on a Boring Sunday Evening instead of watching it again and again in a theater.

Too many holes and predictable

Author: harineem from United States
3 April 2010

A timid guy Karthik who is been bullied all his life finds himself a loser in his job, social and love life.Frequent meetings with a psychiatrist(Shefali) also fail to help.When things get completely out of hand, he attempts suicide.He gets an anonymous call(who claims he is also Karthik) right at that time, with tips to change his life. As time progresses he becomes a winner in all aspects of life but becomes heavily dependent on the early morning calls from the other karthik.When his new found girlfriend Shonali(Deepika) insists that he keep no secrets, he is forced to reveal about the other Karthik. From now on the plot gets sinister as both Shonali and the psychiatrist try to stop him taking these calls and get help. I would have a given a lower score but there are seriously creepy moments in the film. But there are too many holes for example Karthik is supposedly a CA and IIM topper.You cannot get into IIM if you are that low on confidence, they look for leadership material.His parents never seem to care, wouldn't you care if your son mysteriously disappears for months. And why would a great looking girl like deepika fall for a vey ordinary Farhan and seek him even after his extremely weird behaviour.I will not mention more as that would completely reveal the anyway predictable plot. The suspense is very predictable and director never cares to explain the root cause of Karthik's behaviour. Farhan please stick to direction, you are seriously lacking in looks and an average actor.

5 Years Late

Author: sprska from India
28 February 2010

The movie promos seemed promising to begin with. The lead character is Karthik who is a looser kind of a guy with no self confidence. He receives a phone call one day from Karthik and his life changes within a few days. However complications begin to arise later.

The movie has a good plot to begin with but is weakened by some seriously dragging screenplay. Farhan Akhtar has a long way to go in acting. His performance is very weak and he is unable to carry on the whole film on himself.

The movie has a really bad ending which was the worst part. This movie is at least 5 years late, so many movies have been made with the theme that it is almost a cliché now.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]