IMDb > Wild Rebel (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Wild Rebel More at IMDbPro »

Good work, fine movie

Author: Moviefanatic2009 from USA
25 February 2009

I rented this movie from the best English DVD and Videostore in Vienna, didn't expect a lot but that little movie really knocked me off my feet.

I didn't care about the small budget, I like Independent Movies. This one seems to be the first Austrian Zen Film. Wolf Morrison did an incredible job. He not only starred in this movie, he also wrote, produced and directed it and I think I remember he also composed the fine Soundtrack.

He plays his rebel somewhere between Dean, Brando, Newman and Matt Dillon with a great feeling for this complex character. I didn't liked the guy who played his best friend and I also didn't liked the actress who played Mona. The guy who played her husband Mackie acts his part like he is in a Soap opera.

I couldn't stop laughing when the bad guy, Rico appeared for the first time with his one eye and wild look. I didn't care much about the girls in this movie, both were not bad actresses but nothing to compare with Morrisons character.

Unlike Austrian movies "Wild Rebel" has a story to tell and it is a movie that really "moves". It never bores you.

If you like Independent Movies go for it!

Cool movie, great cast

Author: David Wolf from Austria
25 February 2009

I didn't expect very much, when I first see it on the screen but "Wild Rebel" really surprised me. Shot with no or a very less budget, this short movie (only 25 or 26 minutes long) tells a very interesting story about a young guy, Jeff, played by Wolf Morrison, who is very well-known at Vienna's stages.

Even the support cast is great. The two guys in the opening scene who play the dealers look really dangerous. They try to beat up a guy named David, but Jeff helps him and introduces him to his girlfriends Jessica and Tina.

In the next scene we see a couple in their best years, Mona and Mackie, married but nothing in common, Mona leaves and meets Jeff in a bar. They start an affair. Not only Mona's husband founds out about their affair, also Jeff's girlfriend Jessica.

When Jeff steals the drug money from the head of the dealers, Rico, this is the beginning of his end.

The guy who plays the villain Rico is a real surprise: Herbie Smith is a well-known guitar legend in Vienna and I think this is the only movie he ever was in. His portrait of a gangster who's best years are over is not bad.

Rico hires a Killer to find Jeff and even the guy who plays the killer looks convincing in his part.

My personal highlight of this movie is the talk between the two girls, Jessica, played by Corinna Lenneis and Tina (Ebm). There is so much power and emotion in this scene. Both are real great actresses with a feeling for their characters. If they ever make a Part 2 of "Wild Rebel" then the story should concentrate on this two great character actresses.

Wolf Morrison is a good actor but sometimes he doesn't know if he should play a scene dramatic or funny. In some scenes Thomas Landl as Mackie steals him the show.

A real cool movie with a great cast. Highly recommended!

The True Spirit of Independent Cinema

Author: Robert Schmied from Austria
24 February 2009

"Wild Rebel" is a fine piece of true Independent Art. It is not even half an hour long but in this little time there is a lot of action. This in not one of these typical boring Austrian Movies where nothing ever happens. "Rebel" has a great story, nice action, little funny moments and a great cast.

Wolf Morrison as Jeff Stark gives a wonderful character performance of a guy who tries to be as tough as he can but deep inside he is a very sensitive person. His portrait of a rebel reminds us very much at legendary cinema rebels like James Dean and Marlon Brando.

He has a girlfriend, Jessica, but he has also an affair with an elder woman, Mona, the wife of his enemy, Police Officer Mackie and starts a little romance with Tina, the girlfriend of his best friend.

Thomas Landl, wasted in so many bad TV series, gives a great character study as disillusioned Police Officer. His daughter died on a drug overdose years ago and it keeps him alive to fight against the crime in this city. Deep inside he likes Jeff because he knows he can lead him to the drug gangsters.

The worst actress is the person who plays his wife Mona. How did she get that job? The guy who played Rico, the bad guy, Herbie Smith is funny to watch. He tries to be a typical B-picture bad guy and he does a good job.

The young actor who plays Jeffs best friend David looks a bit colorless.

But the rest of the female supporting roles are very fine: the girl who plays Jessica, Jeff's girlfriend, has a great scene when she goes downstairs to Rico's place to tell him Jeff's hiding place. The camera shows her face and how she walks downstairs. An unforgettable scene and a very talented young actress.

Martina Ebm, a very young actress who plays Tina, David's girlfriend, gives a fine performance. She shows so much power and energy in almost every scene. Not a girl, not yet a woman, sensual, sensitive and charismatic. She is the best actress in this movie.

Jeff has to pay for his wild lifestyle. After he steals the drug money from Rico he's on the run. Mackie tries to help him but Rico's has already sent out a Killer.

Shot with a very less budget, Wolf Morrison, who also wrote, produced and directed, shows the true spirit of Independent Cinema. Nice work!