IMDb > Cockneys vs Zombies (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cockneys vs Zombies

Cockneys vs Zombies More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Very amusing zombie comedy with just some minor issues

Author: 5h4d0w from ...
1 September 2012

The trailer for this movie actually represents what you get very, very well. Quite a bit of gore and funny moments. In fact, I thought that I would find it less funny than I did. There is some really witty writing here.

However, what already bothered me in the trailer really did not sit well with me in the movie too. Namely when the writing goes from witty to dim-witted. Mostly because of those one-liners. Although even some of the serious dialog seems just too unnatural and clichéd.

Also, for my taste, there is a little bit too much cutting to a certain location where people are stuck. There is nothing going on aside from some of the pretty awful dialog I just referred to.

A minor complaint, since there is still plenty of gory action going on, would be that there are some scenes in which gore spatters from off-screen where I would have preferred to see the action on-screen.

In the end, it is about a fun, gory ride and "Cockneys vs Zombies" sure delivers when it comes to that. However, productions such as "Tucker and Dale vs Evil" or "Shaun of the Dead" have demonstrated that one doesn't have to rely on formulaic dialog and one-liners so heavily in order to create a fun splatter film that is actually fun.

Great English Zombie Flick.

Author: Ashman711711 from United States
21 October 2012

First, it's a movie about zombies and it's English, so don't go in expecting some grandiose academy award winners. What we have is a film that is meant to be watched and enjoyed. It's purpose is to entertain us with zombies, gore, and the best type of dry Brit humor one can find. A job it accomplishes rather nicely.

It never takes itself seriously but doesn't go full on to cheeky parody mode either. I have to agree that like Shaun of the Dead or Tucker & DAle Vs Evil, this one has successfully blended a great comedy with a good horror flick. though I'll warn it's more about the good gore one finds rather than scares.

By far the strongest actor would be Alan Ford who fills the character role of "Grandad" brilliantly as the cantankerous grandfather of the two leads and the caretaker of an old folks home. He has some of the best lines- most of which you simply don't expect or at least won't know what the heck is gonna be said next. right from the get go with opening credits you have the idea it's gonna be a fun, somewhat satirical ride and indeed it is. In all, the plot isn't that much of a stretch(it's zombies) but the actors and director make it work. it has a decent music score too. after viewing it may not be in some horror fan's top fav list, but it will certainly not disappoint. (also if you like crass British slang you'll like this movie)

Clue is in the title

Author: kosmasp
19 September 2012

I guess that's the best described movie title since Snakes on a plane. The movie delivers fully on its title and that's all you can expect from it, isn't it? A year ago Frightfest audiences were treated to a glimpse of some footage from the film. August 2012 the same audience (or whoever came again) got to see the whole film. And I'd say it played pretty well with most people.

I liked it too. The humor is good, you get Cockney language thrown in a couple of times and one the slowest chases you'll see in any film. And it works really good tension-wise. Mr. Ford of course is a delight to watch and he must have had a lot of fun on the set. You can't and shouldn't take a movie like that serious. Otherwise you'd have trouble enjoying this

Loved it!

Author: MisterE2108 from United States
21 October 2012

A fun filled zombie film. Definitely not one of the best, but highly enjoyable. Loved the dialog and all the actor character portrayals. The gore effects had highs and lows, meaning there were some gore effects that were crazy good and other gore effects that were most likely rushed or they didn't put too much thought into. Alan Ford had me in stitches, he did an awesome job, I guarantee you will like him a lot in this film. Rasmus Hardiker and Harry Treadaway who play the central characters were both entertaining, and I wouldn't mind if the two reprise their roles in a sequel. Lastly I wanna speak about the lovely Michelle Ryan (who plays Katey, the cousin), I sorta fell in love with her in this film and loved her fiery attitude as she helped kick some zombie butt. In closing, I really try my best not to give away any of a particular film, because we usually already know what a film is about, and the only thing that comes next is to watch the film. In my opinion spoilers suck and it takes away from what others may enjoy or dislike about a particular film, that's why I rather that others come to their own conclusion upon viewing a film for themselves. Cockney vs Zombies...I loved it!...and I hope other fans of the genre get to see it and come to love it as well.

Great British Comedy/Horror! A new cult classic?

Author: Michael 'Hallows Eve' Smillie from New Zealand
21 October 2012

This film was both funny and bloody! If Guy Ritchie directed a zombie film this would be the result. A funny LOCK, STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS type of Comedy/Horror. The plot is mostly original and the action is bloody and gory in scenes which makes this film fun to watch. It's not quite SHAUN OF THE DEAD but it's very close. There are a few familiar faces for those who have seen a lot of the great British Guy Ritchie type films. There are some great kill scenes too. I found myself watching the movie and seeing a few comparisons to the for-mentioned comedy/horror film. This will be, in my opinion, another cult classic in years to come. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Absolute blast of a zombie effort

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
26 February 2014

Attempting to salvage a botched bank-job, a group of robbers find their efforts interrupted by a viral outbreak and must fend off the swarm of zombies infesting London's East End to save their grandfather and get to safety.

This turned out to be quite an enjoyable and entertaining zombie effort. One of the biggest pluses here is the fact that this one manages to contain a large portion of goofy and plain hilarious moments that are flat-out funny for just how absurd this one gets while attempting to play it straight. The way the robbery gets botched, the arguing between the family, the zombie assault on the retirement home and the eventual charge down to their escape is all quite funny for how blatantly goofy it's portrayed yet comes off as completely relevant in the way it transpires and ends up making these scenes better by not writing the movie around the jokes but instead working the comedy into the story. This truly funny comedy makes the action all the better as there's a real massive amount of action with plenty of shoot-outs, including the bank-robbery itself as well as the charge through the streets after the retirement home visit to holding off the creatures in the safe house with the hostages being forced into action to save themselves, as well as the different encounters along the escape route in the streets filled with the zombies which just really gets all the high-notes here with the mad-collision of bullets flying everywhere, zombies getting shot to pieces or blasted to chunks and the victims being pulled apart and devoured in nearly everyone of these encounters which makes for a huge gore quotient to go along with the comedy and thrilling action. While these make the film quite entertaining, there's one rather important factor holding this down which is the fact that there's a rather convoluted series of plot-points that seem to go nowhere and bring more people into this that don't need to be there to begin with. These here make this one fall slightly, but overall not enough from being one of the better zombie efforts recently.

Rated R: Extreme Graphic Language and Graphic Violence.

Shockingly Good

Author: gavin6942 from United States
12 August 2013

A gang of bank robbers fight their way out of a zombie-infested London.

When I heard the title of this film, I kept thinking there was no way this could possibly be good. The reviews were consistently positive, but that title was just so bad. Hopefully others are not scared off by the lame name, because the critics were right -- this is a winner.

We have a rocking soundtrack that keeps the pace and flow going, one of the best chase scenes ever put to film, some clever moments in a subgenre (zombie films) that should be completely used up by now... and some elderly folks with big guns.

Others have said this is "Shaun of the Dead" meets "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels". That may be fair -- it is as good as both of these films, and really needs to be seen. I can see it becoming a cult classic alongside "Shaun"...

Utterly brilliant - a new cult classic!

Author: VicL from United Kingdom
25 October 2012

So - you liked Shaun of The Dead? The mix of drama, deadpan comedy and in-jokes? You will LOVE Cockneys vs Zombies! There's nothing not to like - great story, well-developed characters, loads of laugh-out-loud moments....

I watched this at the back of the house, downstairs. My daughter was upstairs at the front of the house, listening to music via headphones. And heard me laughing. That's how much fun this film is - I could go into more depth and say how funny Alan Ford is reprising his "Bricktop" role from "Snatch," how great is is to see Honor Blackman kicking ass again - in her mid-80's! and ....oh never mind. Watch, laugh and enjoy....I did! At least a 9/10.....

My Review Of "Cockneys VS Zombies"

Author: ASouthernHorrorFan from United States
17 August 2013

"Cockneys VS Zombies" is a British zom-com that brings the horrors of the zombie apocalypse to the world of the East-enders of London. The comedy is directed by Matthias Hoene and stars Rasmus Hardiker, Harry Treadaway, Michelle Ryan, Jack Doolan, Alan Ford, Georgia King, Ashley Thomas, Tony Gardner and Honor Blackman. "Cockneys VS Zombies" follows a group of mates in the East End who come up with a scheme to save a retirement community from eviction when plans to demo the building for new construction with all the mod cons. Unfortunately for the groups worry and plan it all ends up happening at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.

"Cockney VS Zombies" has a very contemporary story set-up with a very standard but well written cast of comedic characters. The gang of cockneys are good natured but illogical friends. Their intentions are good but their problem solving skills are very flawed. That is good for us the viewer of this truly witty comedy because the antics that follow are some truly classical Brit balderdash hilarity. There is very little about this story or it's subplots that fall apart. The script and character portrayals are strong and convincing ones that entertain. I felt invested and connected with the characters, as they fought tooth and nail to survive, and save the helpless through the rise of the undead horde. The comedic shtick and jokes are nothing new or inventive but they deliver honest laughs and amusement-if it isn't broke then don't fix it!

The action and thrills in "Cockney VS Zombies" is a standard array of raucous stunts and action sequences but they hold up much like the comedy with true theatrical force. The zombies are classic zombies- the slow moving, moaning kind which is kind of rare for Brit zombie movies- they usually opt for the fast moving mutant-screechers that quite frankly scare the sh*t out of me. However much like "Shaun Of The Dead" this is a total homage to the classic Romero era of zombie lore. The special effects are great and the gore is rewarding but the bigger rewards come with the banter and interaction between the characters dealing with the zombies, not to mention one another.

"Cockneys VS Zombies" is a cool, energetic zom-com that entertains and delivers the expected zombie montage of rotting corpses driven to consume the living with total a totally hilarious outcome. The characters are lovable, the story holds up from beginning to end and the funny is actually funny. I think any fan of comedies, and zombie films who enjoy the lighter side of the undead will enjoy this film. Some of the dialect is "cockney" and I like many Americans will really not get the lingo but it never takes away or hinders the total dialog of the film. It just adds an extra little bit of humor and organic flavor to the films already entertaining atmosphere.

This movie could have been better

Author: fatt1988 from Malaysia
24 October 2012

As the title, this movie is about some folks from eastern part of London fighting through zombie's apocalypse. Generally, this movie is just a few step behind Shaun of The Dead. However, there are some scenes where it just don't make any sense (i mean, though it is a movie, it should be putting some sense in the storyline). The intro which shown how the zombie nightmare started was quite ridiculous. If you're a man looking at your friend being eaten by a zombie, would you just scream like a little girl or would you ran out for help. It was a construction site filled with construction workers. The other frustrating moment in this movie was at the end of it where the folks were going on a boat but their boat was chained to the dock and one of them tried to release it. At first, they ran onto the boat to get away from the zombie hordes but then suddenly they started to waste their ammo on killing all of the zombies. What was the point of running if all you want to do was killing all the walkers. If some efforts were put to make the plot more 'senseful', this movie would be much better.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]