IMDb > "RuPaul's Drag Race" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"RuPaul's Drag Race" More at IMDbPro »

Addictive

Author: dsprcBz from United States
17 May 2011

I am addicted to this show – stumbled upon it on VH1 with the Jocks in Frocks episode, was totally entertained by it, then looked it up on the internet and started watching all episodes, (ALL episodes, extras included) of Season 3, 2 and 1 on the Logo site, and I'm straight as a flagpole.

Can they put this on DVD please ? – The Logo site keeps buffering with the same damn commercials (I like the Orbitz commercial tho w/Carmen, Manila and Shangela, tho). They must include the Untucked episodes on the DVD.

It's funny how so many people take this reality show contest sooo seriously – I mean the winner is crowned to a live audience of 3 people, and the host of the Grand Finale in the Untucked episode is eating fried chicken out of a bucket (that's why I love this show) It's so campy and yet so glamorous.

I'm so addicted – I can name every queen of every season, and since I'm sick and can't do anything but stare in front of a computer, I'll critique them all

(Season 1 – The Originators) Bebe Zahara Benet – If Snatch Game were in Season 1, she'd nail Oprah / Nina Flowers – The fiercest androgynous look ever / Rebecca Glasscock - The 1st pretty girl of RPDR / Shannel - The prettiest "real" eyes / Ongina - The prettiest bald queen / Jade - At times, prettier than Rebecca / Akashia - Worst runway walk ever / Tammie Brown - Kinda spooky look / Victoria "Pork Chop" Parker - First big girl to go, will make the trivia list

(Season 2) Tyra Sanchez – Straight women would've gone for him, he's a pretty boy / Raven - A macho pretty boy / Jujubee - She's Got Personality, lots of it / Tatianna - Prettier than Rebecca / Pandorra Box - Looks more like Kathy Griffin than Kathy Griffin / Jessica Wild - Miss Popularity / Sahara Davenport - Miss Ballet Moves / Morgan McMichaels - Miss Rebel / Sonique - Miss Acrobat / Mystique Summers Madison - Miss Splits / Nicole Paige Brooks - Reminded me of Julia Roberts, yes Julia Roberts / Shangela - (Seasons 2 & 3) I like and dislike her cause she's got lots of talent but her character on the show reminded me of someone really "shady"

(Season 3 – I like this season best thus far, simply because of the variety of contestants)

Raja – The fiercest ever runway walk / Manila Luzon - A glamorous camp queen / Alexis Mateo - Competitive, deserved top 3 / Yara Sofia – Wish she were in top 3, likable personality, but what's up with the freaky contact lenses / Carmen Carrera – The pretty girl of season 3, pulls off the female illusion the best / Delta Work - The prettiest of the big girls / Mariah Paris Balenciaga – Perhaps the most beautiful of all 3 seasons queens / Stacy Layne Bryant Matthews, etc. etc. - Already looks like a woman / Indiah Ferrah - She's got $600 boobs and she's gonna wear them / Mimi Imfurst – Aptly named / Phoenix - 2 episodes is not enough to pass judgment / Venus D-Lite - Madonna lives

The Judges: who cares? The Pitt Crew: Nice touch, Ru.

I hope Season 4 is just as enjoyable as Season 3. Can't wait for the next generation of Hoogers.

Groundbreaking TV and total eye-candy

Author: j-michele-roberts from United States
22 February 2010

So many things to love about RuPaul's Drag Race. It gives a platform (heel?) for these gorgeous talented performers to strut their stuff (perhaps a bit too literally for poor Jade). It debunks a bunch of drag-queen myths (no, they don't live in drag all of the time). RuPaul, appearing in both male (dorky and adorable) and full-on drag magnificence is a perfect blend of snarky and kind; guest judge Santino Rice from Project Runway is delightfully perceptive and just bitchy enough. I fell in love with a number of amazing queens: sweet Nina Flowers, who rocks the glam/androgynous look better than Ziggy Stardust ever could; Ongina, the feisty, funny, gender-bending fashionista who reduces everyone to tears (no spoiler here); Bebe Sahara Benet, CAMEROOOOOOOOONNNN!

I'm deducting one star because the contestants that were eliminated early were pretty weak, and because I think there could have been a smidge more drama (Rebecca, you bore me so). Looks like that's been rectified in Season 2 - meow!

America's Next Top Project Runway with a twist

Author: Peter Kowalski
12 February 2009

Being a TV reality show freak as I am and a lover of everything that's original, outstanding and colorful, I got interested in this title as soon as I heard about it. It's basically America's Next Top Model: Drag Edition with some borrowed elements from Project Runway. And it's fun to watch: the 9 contestants are flamboyant and have a great sense of humor (one of them has a nickname "Pork chop"), the style is very similar to the shows mentioned so you don't feel like you're watching a completely redesigned program. The things that are said are sometimes outrageous ("if I was a girl, I'd be a stripper or slept with lots of guys and be pregnant with lots of kids"), always a little bit shocking, and the stakes are high. There will be a lot of flirting and intimate relations ion the show I bet, but it won't be called gay sex, it will be called lesbian sex; add some famous faces to the mix and voila! You got yourself a nice blend for a perfect night with a TV.

This Show is For YOU!

Author: copperncherrio from United States
13 March 2011

The funniest guilty pleasure, full of my favorite things: fashion, drama, and competition. The only thing I really hate is how the drag queens have a better body then I'll ever would. Boo!

The girls from season 1 is very different from that of season 2. However, both are just as entertaining. My favorite competitors actually happen to be the runner up in both seasons. They are very creative and diverse. However, I did love the winner from season one…

Without giving too much away, if you like good old reality competitive TV show, with interesting and creative people, this is the show for you!

In all, it's like a drag version of Project Runway mixed with America's Next Top Model. Which are two of the few reality shows that I watch. Plus, I've always loved RuPaul.

The most real reality TV so far..!

Author: Guanyu4u F from Malaysia
23 November 2013

I just watched the 1st season of Repual's Drag Race and because of the positive energy this show implements; I attend to watch more Repaul's seasons. First of all, for those who compare this show to American Next Top Model and other shows of the same genre; you are wrong in so many levels since the core, for starters, of both shows are totally different. Rupaul's show focus on testing drag's surviving skills in the preforming business. Papering self make-up & hair, sewing unique outfits, dancing & lip-syncing, are some of the jobs assigned for the contestants in Rupaul's Drag Race because these queens are exposed to them every time they want to channel their drag persona on stage and more importantly, to themselves. In terms of human quality and productivity, Rupaul's Drag Race has a lot to offer. Being drag is not easy or safe even in our time. Drag Queens and cross-dressers has had it the hardest among the gay community considering that the majority of drag queens are gay. They put literally themselves out there for the world to judge and there are some, even among gay guys, who try to segregate themselves from them and feel repulsed by them so a drag lady has to be really courageous and develops an unbeatable character to feel strong & stable against all criticism about her life. This is another value that the show is trying to bring through the course of the race. In terms of other reality TV shows, I feel that Rupaul's Drag Race is the most genuine of them all although, ironically, the concept of the show is based on men dressing as women which is should not be up-normal anymore. Rupaul is trying to deliver a positive message in his show about loving oneself which is lacking in many competition shows. I have seen a dance competition show where the majority of the contestants below 20 and the judges are emitting real sociopath behavior when it comes to evaluating the young contestants outcome, all for the sake of the shock value to improve the network ratings. Others might find problem with the tune of the show and how it represent drag in stereotypical image which is incorrect. Drag queens are flamboyant by nature and these individuals have to channel their femininity while they are in the dress and make-up so the only question is if the viewer is comfortable about which 45 min of drag and what does it represent or if the viewer really know the difference between drag queens, transvestites, transsexuals, gays, etc. As the first show of its kind, I find that the creators and the producers of the show have done a great job and if there is a little bit of shallowness, it should be with tolerable amount especially comparing to other reality shows and computation shows which are now quantity with no quality.

Fantastic show on so many levels

Author: julialug from Brazil
11 February 2014

This is a great show. One of the best reality shows I've ever seen. Those interested in fashion, makeup and pop-culture will find it instantly interesting, but beyond the obvious, you'll find a show that makes you think about life, about parenting, about friendship and about love. It is truly wonderful to see these amazingly talented people that went through hard times, but are still able to find joy and beauty in life.

They say Drag is the art of illusion. And isn't illusion a fantastic subject? Films like "Pan's Labyrinth" and "You Will meet a tall dark stranger" make me think so. For me, this kind of art can be appreciated on many levels, and watching this show, just makes me like I could feel/be fabulous too.

(I'm married, with three kids, just saying!)

Ground Breaking

Author: quintero93
29 March 2014

This show is truly ground breaking. This show allows all of America to see a bit of what gay culture is. Not to mention that its funny and the competition is fierce. IT makes people look at how talented and funny drag queens are. Drag is truly an art and it takes skill experience and talent. This show has guest judges apart from the standard judges which are Rupaul, Michelle Visage, and Santino Rice. The guest judges have included actors,singers and TV personalities. The challenges are design to test the queens and to allow them to show America why it is they should win. Acting, singing, rapping, comedy, dancing, impersonation, have all been bases for challenges. Anyone who is obsessed with pop culture should watch this show.

Lame

Author: mariondowning-427-469344 from America
5 October 2013

Really laughably bad. I thought this was a "p-take" of America's Next Top Model, but these people really take themselves seriously. Tyra Banks wannabe RuPaul hams it up putting on the "You are not America's next top model" bit- except he really believes he is being himself. As mentioned, this show is lame and the way the contestants act like stereotypical "drama queen drag queens" shows they are just putting it on for the camera and lowering the bar for real people who are transgender and lowering the public's opinion of them (society learns from the media about people they don't know about). Plus the way the "straight" male and genetically female straight judges talk in sexual ways about men dressed as women makes a viewer want to throw something at their TV. Not much is real at all about the show. Find something real to watch.