IMDb > "Being Human" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Being Human"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Being Human" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

"The Odd Couple" becomes the "Odd Triple" but in Bristol, England..

Author: MrMuffinMan from United Kingdom
15 January 2009

Excellent off-beat drama about a vampire, werewolf and ghost who share a flat in suburban Bristol. The script was intelligent, with thoughtful but compelling story lines that did not treat the audience like complete idiots, was perfectly paced and matched to the main characters. The entire cast was excellent, with quality supporting performances as to be expected from Adrian Lester, Natalie Armin & others. The audience response was so good, it has now been remade by the BBC as a full series. As a whole, this was a perfect short film that deserved a lot more recognition. Sadly only one of the original main actors makes it into the remake, but hopefully the BBC won't screw up by trying to overplay their hand. If the rest of the production crew and cast have been retained this could be another classic in the making.

The Greatest Thing to Come Out of Britain in Years

Author: amethystflames from United States
26 February 2009

When I first saw the pilot episode, I had several problems with it, all of which were fixed in episode one. It's my first foray into British television and I'll admit I'm confused by "remakes" and other such terms, but whatever; I don't care what they're doing as long as they keep this show on the air. It's smart, witty, funny, interesting, and manages to avoid being a tired rehash of the same monster mythology running around the entertainment industry. Lenora Crichlow is a greatly improved version of Annie, and something about her performance makes it far easier to find the character likable. Aidan Turner is an even better Mitchell than Guy, and thankfully Russell Tovey is still around; he's absolutely perfect as George. I haven't been so excited about a new show in years, and I love the way they blend the dramatic, the humorous, the mystical and the mundane. This show takes all the appeal of myth and legend and flawlessly applies it to modern life, allowing us to connect to the characters on a human level while still giving us a well-done version of the occult. No other show on the air today delivers so many forms of entertainment at once.

Fang Bang

Author: SCampbellAJC from Poole, England
5 March 2009

Intelligent script great acting from the three leads and a menacing performance from Eric the chief vampire. You really should give this series a go I missed the pilot so episode 1 was my first taste of this it was a slow start but interesting and has got better and better each week. I have found no-one at work who has seen this and whenever you try to tell them about it you find yourself saying " Well its about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost who live together " you find them looking at you as if your mad or thinking you have discovered Rentaghost ( 70's BBC Kids series ). But the point is it is so much more than the thread of its story it deals with friendship,love,isolation and many other human emotions and it is very funny at times. Give it a go this series is original and you don't get that too often these days do you ........ Life On Mars was the last time that happened

A breath of new (after)life.

Author: russellcarvell from United Kingdom
2 March 2009

I expected to hate this, yet it turns out I loved it. Great first series. Can't wait for the next one. The characters were interesting and funny, and dare I say it, you actually begin to care about them, (which is the cornerstone of any good drama). This took a tired genre and gave it a breath of new (after)life. The backdrop is very ordinary and mundane, and the characters are self-loathing. It gave it a different, quirky angle which hasn't really been explored before. I really hope the BBC have the next series lined up and ready to film. UK series are always woefully small. You just got me interested, and now I've got to wait for the next episode. Best character by far is George the dorky werewolf, who I suspect has unwittingly shacked up with a she-wolf. Mitchell is good as an on-the-wagon blood junkie. The bad guys were all nasty and loathsome, which was great. The first episode was slow, but stick with it!

Good old fashioned comedy/drama with some horror on the side

Author: JackHammer69 from Australia
3 February 2010

I am very pleased with Being Human.

I believe that the US have lost sight of what's really important in film/TV, particularly depth of character. All I see in American film and TV these days are a bunch of clichéd characters who speak in one-liners and catch-phrases.

Not the case with British film and TV - apart from Guy Ritchie films, tic.

Like "Dog Soldiers", Being Human relies on old technology to make their Werewolf work. So what, the wolf looks fake. You can look beyond it as the rest of the show is excellent.

Being Human has stayed true to the crux of Horror, which is the Supernatural element. Nowadays too often we see "genetically mutated" monsters, which takes the fear factor out of it all. If it bleeds, we can kill it (and easier than we thought).

Being Human is beautifully written, superbly cast and has its own feel; one you can immerse yourself in. It's simple viewing without being too predictable or too tame.

I'm pretty sure I would be happy to watch further installments of this show for the next 5 years and not be bored with it, provided the writing remains as refreshing as it is at the moment.

For me, Being Human is about the relationships between the characters and the anticipation of something "big" happening in each episode. It hasn't let down so far!

"A ghost, a werewolf and a vampire walk into a..." sounds like a bad joke, but it's all good!!

Author: Penelope Flynn from Southwest, U.S.A.
20 September 2009

"A ghost, a vampire and a werewolf walk into a..." Okay, I'm sure you've heard it a hundred times and it sounds like the beginning of a really bad joke but it really is the beginning to some of the best spec-fic TV you'll probably ever see. George the werewolf, Annie the ghost and Mitchell the vampire are roommates in an apartment in Bristol where they try to live a "normal" life. But they find that life after life is complex and unforgiving. And the "normal" people can be as frightening as the monsters. Dealt with allegorically in the show are addictions, clinical behavioral problems and mental illness to name a few. Well-rounded characters and oddly familiar situations tinged with the supernatural keep us eager to walk the road with the series' three protagonists. Be advised...this is not Twilight. This is grown-up TV with all the blood, sex and blue language that keeps it interesting for the post-pubescent set. The writing and acting are top-notch and each ensuing episode makes you ravenous for the next. Season II can't come soon enough.

The Brits know how to do TV

Author: todgourley from United States
29 January 2011

Drama, mystery, self discovery, angst and "desperation for relief" comedy is spattered through out this well written and acted show. In 2 very short runs (16 in all?)I care more for these unlikely group of supernatural misfits than all the seasons of "Friends". Annie, Mitchell, George, and Nina sit on the fence between worlds, running from what they are and leaving claw marks in their past. The third set of shows have just started and I can't wait to see my friends again. I think it is best to watch the show, if you can, as they aired on BBC. When the shows makes the crossing on the pond some of the grittiness gets watered down. On a personal note, if you have watched the SyFy version, it pales by comparison.

The best thing I've seen since The Dresden Files

Author: CountVladDracula from United States
30 January 2009

I am in love with a new TV show. I don't know if it will air here in America but if it did it would likely be cut to shreds. Each episode is fifty seven or so minutes long so that's like fifteen minutes that would need to be cut from each episode to fit in an American time slot, not to mention there's a lot of gore that they wouldn't get away with showing here and a scene of someone giving the finger.

Background: Being Human was a British special that aired last year in an hour time slot. Now one year later it's an actual on going series on BBC 3 (Since I am American I have been I having to rely on British friends to watch the show). I absolutely love it. I love it nearly as much as I loved Dresden files when it was new. It's serious but has some great moments of wit.

The plot is about a ghost, a werewolf and a vampire living together and despite that it's actually very serious. They each are trying to function in the real world. The ghost (Annie) is agoraphobic and when she gets emotional normal people might not see her. The werewolf (George) has typical werewolf angst after being turned ala the same sort of scenario as An American werewolf in London. The vampire (Mitchell) is reminiscent if Nick Knight from Forever Knight in that he tries to avoid vampirism temptation while other vampires try to persuade him to embrace his vampire nature.

The TV series continues where the original TV special left off. In episode 1 it continues after the events of the pilot / special in which Mitchell had just turned his girlfriend into a vampire without really meaning to and now she resents him for abandoning her and not embracing his vampire nature. Like with most modern stories with vampires and werewolves the vampires view themselves to be superior to werewolves and poor George is subjected to insults like dog, etc...

There's serious drama and moments of fun comedy and they pick great well known songs to set the moods of the scenes. The actress who played Annie in the film is not the actress here and it's not the same Mitchell either but I like these actors, possibly even more than the originals from last year's special.

I highly recommend this show to anyone who likes modern urban fantasy of strange beings living among us and trying to pass for ordinary.

I don't know if BBC America will ever get it but I think BBC America or the Scifi channel here in the USA need to buy this up NOW. It's great. I'm addicted.

more human than human

Author: rebl1969 from United States
3 January 2010

one of the best shows me and my wife have seen and keep up with together.not to many shows at this level (as far as acting and interesting storyline )on TV these days.very original.we were not sure about the show at the beginning.but as we watched the show it got better and better.hopefully this show will stay on for a lot of seasons to come,just because of the potential.seems to be headed in the right direction.never before has a show defined the lines between vampire and werewolf this way ,but the ghost story is the best human story we have ever seen.very emotional.great cast and we hope to watch these characters evolve even more in the future.

best show on the BBC

Author: vix_louise_hunter from United Kingdom
13 January 2010

Fantastic Series, better than Buffy. It has been a long time waiting for a good supernatural show to fill the big hole left when that show finished. The only criticism I would give is that more episodes are needed in the series or they need to make the break between the series shorter. My favourite character has got to be Mitchell (Aidan Turner), although they are all fantastic, great actors and great characters.

Lenora Crichlow is a great actress and I have loved her since Sugar Rush, which, if you haven't seen you should download or buy. Russell Tovey is fantastic! Funny! He is a great comedy actor, although he does not have a huge role in the Gavin and Stacey episodes he is in, when he is on screen he is great.

More Please!!!!!!!!!