IMDb > Butter (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Perfect For Some Laughs

Author: Kaitlyn Clark
9 October 2012

I'll admit, when I watched this I didn't have particularly high hopes. I never put much hope into a comedy, because so often they either aren't funny at all or put every joke in the preview. However, I figured it deserved a chance considering my love of Olivia Wilde especially, but also the other big names like Hugh Jackman, Jennifer Garner, Ashley Greene, and so on.

Now, be warned, this is not the movie to watch if you expect to take anything seriously. That isn't to say it's a comedy about people doing stupid things and being immature, quite the opposite, but everything is taken in exaggeration. After all, it is a movie about sculpting butter, so don't expect some pulse pounding drama.

That being said, if you have a good sense of humour, and want to laugh, then this is the movie to watch. The acting was amazing from everybody, Garner gave me chills when angry, Wilde had me in tears from laughing, and Yara Shahidi was unexpectedly amazing in her role as the young foster child. I absolutely recommend it.

Great Dark Comedy!

Author: scissorhands__emily from United States
5 October 2012

I thought this movie was hilarious! It is a black comedy all the way though, so if you don't care for that style of humor you probably won't get this movie. Many of the characters are exaggerated and the plot line itself is a bit over the top, but that is the purpose of a dark comedy. All of the actors are great in this! Jennifer Garner really shines as the more villainous Laura Pickler, and it's nice to see her in a more against type role. Olivia Wilde also stood out as Brooke the local stipper. However, the biggest stand out was Yara Shahidi as 10 year old Destiny. She did an excellent job in the role and really brought heart to the movie. Overall I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but if you enjoy black comedies this is one worth checking out.

Not Perfect, Not Terrible. I Enjoyed It.

Author: gavin6942 from United States
26 November 2012

In small-town Iowa, an adopted girl discovers her talent for butter carving and finds herself pitted against an ambitious local woman in their town's annual contest.

Let me say right off the bat what I did not like about this film: the political angle. I did not mind the Newt Gingrich carving, but was it really necessary for the Picklers to be presented as Republicans? Their political views were not important -- their competitive spirit was.

That aside, it was pretty great. The ensemble cast is incredible -- Hugh Jackson, Jennifer Garner, Olivia Wilde (who steals the show on her bicycle)? Awesome. Ashley Greene outside of Twilight? Incredible. And Alicia Silverstone, who I had completely forgotten existed, comes back in a big way.

Some of the humor here is weak, and some of it is a bit cheap (two sex scandals are a key part of the plot)... but for a film about carving butter, it all ends up being pretty decent.

A delightfully funny satire

Author: Prashanth from India
1 October 2012

Butter is a delightful little comedy that has most of its best jokes in the trailer but still manages to make you smile throughout. It is set around a 'Mastery in Butter Sculpting' competition which is very popular in Iowa. I just found out the competition has been a staple event at the Iowa State Fair for close to a century. Veteran sculptor Bob Pickler wants out but his much feared wife Laura is in no mood to give up just yet. There's a new kid in town with a knack for sculpting and more trouble arrives in the Pickler household in the form of a stripper. What follows is a surprisingly entertaining hour of satirical humor leading to a mushy climax.

Destiny is a foster child who lives out of a suitcase in all her homes in the hope that her real mother would turn up. She is unbelievably good at things and doesn't give herself any credit for it. Her latest foster parents are quite surprised when she decides to take up a traditionally redneck vocation. Rob Corddry and Alicia Silverstone play her immensely likable foster parents who suddenly add a warmth to the film, making it even more palatable.

As a political satire, the film pits a typically God-loving, semi- racist, conspicuously Republican Laura against a young African-American kid who has a way with words. Geddit? There's a dinner table scene, which later gets sculpted into butter, that reminded me of American Beauty. I suspect that was an intended nod.

The language is wonderfully profane, with most of the quick-fire curses flying out from the pretty mouths of Garner and Wilde. Comedies usually stage a huge setup around sex scenes, but Butter takes you by surprise on more than one occasion with the unlikeliest of people getting intimate with each other.

One doesn't have to look closer to see that the film has many problems. Bob hooking up with Brooke (Wilde) makes sense and the narrative flow leads up to it, but Laura doing it with her one time flame Boyd Bolton was completely out of place. I am not justifying Bob's actions and condemning Laura's; it's just that whatever she did was not to get back at Bob but to use Boyd's services and get back at Destiny. Kaitlen Pickler, played Ashley Greene, has a half-baked character and goes nowhere. She's a typical teenager who hates her family but that's not the issue. Her little experimental fling with the stripper Brooke is, shall we say, pointless. Wait, what? I cannot believe I am complaining about the hot, girl on girl action. Never mind.

Wilde is a firecracker as the stripper Brooke; she is the funniest even though her character hangs very loosely to the story. The Jackman cameo, which is what it is, felt a tad in-apposite as well. Actually, most of the actors felt underutilized as they didn't get enough screen-time. It always gets problematic when kids act like grown-ups. Destiny is a cool kid and all that but the final scene, with her advising Laura, was way too cheesy, or should I say, buttery.

The film's strength is its short run-time. At a little over 80 minutes, the film opens up quick, makes you chuckle and sometimes laugh, and wraps up before you worry about its problems. It is necessary for me to address these problems but I honestly didn't care much for them. I had a lot of fun watching it.

Butter spreads easily on the big screen.

Author: Thomas Black from South Dakota
19 September 2012

"Butter" penned by upcoming writer Jason Micallef has plenty of flavor. The story is fun and uncomplicated. Yes, there are not-so thinly veiled political undertones that enrich the film, this is an easy watching fun film. I thought Micallef did a fine job balancing the very real world of butter sculpting competitions from the Great Plains states and the absurdity of this unreal black comedy.

Olivia Wilde is a tour d' force in this film. She plays the drifting, sexy Delilah with control and command. No doubt she steals her scenes or is allowed to steal the scenes from the rest of this straight laced line up of characters.

Not to be out done, Jennifer Garner offers a fresh and unpredictable performance. We have grown to love the often tender Garner, it was fun to hate her this time.

Ty Burell gives us more of what we love him for. Mr. Kicked in the Groin, has never been more masterfully perfected than by Burell.

If I could I would buy stock in Yara Shahidi. This young actress will win your heart and have you rooting for her from her first scene. Shahidi is surrounded by a strong cast but she finds her own light and performs above the fray.

The art direction, photography, costumes and other creative rolls are completed well within the expectations of well funded Hollywood backed indie film.

The Weinstein Co with their RADiUS distribution are are again testing the VOD prior to theatrical distribution model. Only time will tell how this will work out but Itunes users are popping for the $9.99 rental. I think the multi-platform distribution model will be perfected and small projects will benefit in the end.

Worth Watching

Author: Judy G from Singapore
29 September 2012

this movie is overall good. good movie casting choice and the storyline has successfully conveyed a meaningful message to the audience. it also has reflected the lives of the people in the America so it is relateble to almost everyone. even though I feel that there are a few unneeded scenes and a few details which have not been mentioned in the movie. all I have to say is that I loved it, it's funny and meaningful and I recommend everyone to watch it too. I don't understand why some people think it's silly and stupid when I actually cried at the touching ending. I don't think it's silly or stupid because I actually did learn something from this movie. 8/10.

Super Funny Movie

Author: egbertsouse42 from NOLA
8 October 2012

Just saw this movie last night and was SO impressed. EXTREMELY funny. It's very much in the vein of the rather wonderful, dark comedies that come from the Coen Bros., e.g., Fargo, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, The Hudsucker Proxy, etc. (In fact, I checked out the post-film credits to see if they were involved. They're not, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if their comedies inspired the screenwriter and director.) The screenplay, direction and acting are superb. And the young star who plays Destiny, Yara Shahidi, is adorable and extremely talented. I hope big things come her way.

Very funny, totally enjoyable. If you like the Coen Bros., you really like (or love) this movie. It's a must see in my book!

Light hearted funny satire with a top notch cast

Author: phd_travel from United States
8 December 2012

This light satirical comedy about a butter carving competition has a strong cast and an OK story. The plot is quite funny with some lol moments. There are some cute digs about race and ambition.

I have never been a huge Jennifer Garner fan (the over perky grin) but luckily it makes use of the talents of other fine actors especially Olivia Wilde as a stripper, Alicia Silverstone, and Ashley Greene as a teenage daughter. Hugh Jackman makes a small appearance.

I can see why it wasn't a box office success - it's more TV movie material with a A list movie cast. But I found it worth a watch just don't expect too much.

cute, with some funny moments

Author: fullmoon7461-908-439866
6 October 2012

Well the trailer makes it look much funnier than it is.. though I did laugh out loud a few times.. "Butter" tries to delve into the area of something like "Best in Show" or "Waiting for Guffman" where people take small-time events and blow their importance WAY out of proportion.

I wish it had been a bit longer to flesh out some of the characters better. LOVED Rob Cordry, who was very low-key compared to his usual roles.. he was great, as was the little girl who played Destiny. I didn't mind her adult speeches, as did some reviewers. She was really sweet.

If the script had been stronger and a bit more wicked with the satire this would be a strong comedy rather than just a decent one.

At least there wasn't a lovable 'man-child' anywhere to be seen (so tired of that branch of humor)

If you like films like I mentioned at the beginning of my review than give it a try, it's not a black comedy as some people said as it never goes very dark at all. Just a soft satire

Uneven but, entertaining satirical comedy

Author: jaguiar313 from USA
20 December 2012

Uneven but, at times, amusing offbeat comedy about the participants in a butter sculpture contest. When butter sculpture king, Bob Pickler (Ty Burrell) is asked to step aside after 15 years in the spotlight, his vengeful, social climber wife, Laura (Jennifer Garner) decides to enter to win to keep the Pickler name at the top. When she comes up against a truly talented 10 year old orphan, Destiny (Yara Shahidi) the gloves come off as Laura Pickler fights to keep herself socially relevant. While the film isn't perfect, the script by Jason A. Micallef provides some fun satirical wit and director Jim Field Smith guides a good cast through the hit and miss material well enough to entertain. And while for the most part, Butter is a fun satire of middle America, it does have a tendency to divert attention to subplots that don't serve the story. No more evident then Bob's involvement with a hooker (Olivia Wilde) who then becomes involved with the contest and Bob's daughter (Ashley Greene). It provides some sex and spice to the film but, nothing to the plot as does Hugh Jackman's brief appearance as an old flame of Laura's. While the film's focus does wander, there is enough there to make this an amusing enough watch and the cast helps carry things well enough when it flounders. More like 6.5

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]