IMDb > Dredd (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dredd

Dredd More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 61: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Much better than 1995 film

Author: sergio-arauzo from Spain
5 September 2014

When I approached this film a was not very optimistic about it, just because of the awful 1995 version. Stallone film was so weak that I was discouraged about what Hollywood could have done this time. But I was surprised, because this movie is really good and shares only the name with that 1995 horror. It will please Dredd fans but also anyone who like a good action film. Very solid story, with no major holes, good performances of the main characters, excellent combat scenes and some unexpected surprises. Karl Urban is a very solid Dredd, fitting perfectly in the skin of the comic character. Olivia thirtly looks great in her judge clothes and fits very well in their role. A must see for every Dredd fan and every action movie lover.

A noisy and satisfying piece of entertainment

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
22 October 2013

DREDD is the second adaptation of the cult comic book series Judge Dredd, following on from a poorly-received Stallone flick in the '90s (for the record, I thought that version was passable but weak in places, as is the case with a lot of mid-'90s cinema). This one's a lot more gutsy and compelling, thanks to the lean script and emphasis throughout on bloody action and adult entertainment. No pandering to the teenage crowd here.

Karl Urban, long since a favourite of mine (since his excellent turn as the Russian assassin in THE BOURNE SUPREMACY) headlines as Dredd, never taking his helmet off throughout the film. Thus he's reduced to acting via his chin and gravely voice, and the surprise is that it works, to a degree. The helmet serves to distance the viewer from warming to the character, but then that's the point. I did like him though, and enjoyed his totalitarian attitude towards keeping crime off the streets.

Many reviewers have commented on the movie's similarity in plot to the Indonesian action epic THE RAID, and it's clear the two films share plenty. However, I think there's space for both of them in the market; DREDD is an unashamed shoot-em-up while THE RAID is an unashamed martial arts movie. They cater to different markets, and both are equally good.

DREDD's grim, claustrophobic setting is a strong one (bringing to mind the likes of '80s nihilist cinema like TENEMENT and DEATH WISH 3) and the action never lets up from start to finish. The scene with the huge guns is the stand-out, of course, but there's plenty of good minor stuff along the way, where encounters between Dredd and various bad guys are well directed and choreographed. Lena Headey's villain is utterly imposing and my only disappointment was with the ultra-slow-motion sequences, which are a bit pretentious and overused; thankfully they virtually disappear once the novelty wears off. I watched the 3D version of this movie, and while it's not the most visually impressive 3D film I've seen, it does make the film feel more immersive as a whole.

If you enjoy blood, action and superheroes; you won't be disappointed with DREDD!

Author: troy-manatunga from United Arab Emirates
18 February 2013

DREDD is yet another comic book hero that has sprung to life again by the money hungry machine of the filming industry. Starring the Kiwi actor Karl Urban and Olivia Thirbly this movie is the super hero version of the Smith, Lawrence Cop flick BAD BOYS. Set in a distant future DREDD is a cop in a time where they are empowered to pass judgment on criminal offenses and even execute on sight provided it's justified.

Judge Dredd first saw its light as a super hero back in the1977. His missions have carried him across many violent and corrupted cities battling corrupt adversaries. Alex Garland who is responsible for the screenplay of DREDD extracts one tower block and sets the whole 95 minutes in this tower block called the Peach Trees. This is the first good move in the screen play. Next is the plot based on the illicit drug SLOW-MO which aids director Peter Travis to explore the computer generated imagery (CGI) and to add a pinch of salt into the blood soaked movie.

There indeed is a great balance in the screenplay with the inclusion of the sidekick Anderson (Olivia Thirbly). Since DREDD (Karl Urban) is deprived of an actor's most valued tool; eyes and facial expressions due to the helmet, Urban plays a very rigid cop using his body language and voice. Had it been written with no side kick, I doubt even the best of CGI could have saved DREDD from being box office dead!

Yet another aspect that would further entice your entertainment senses is the light used in filming. The glum green filtered lighting settles in a perfect ambiance to the futuristic corrupt world. Each super hero has their own little back yard which elevates their presence. To Spiderman it's a city with sky scrapers, to Batman its Gotham City, to Iron Man once again it's the 21st Century cities and to DREDD it's a Star wars assorted with District 9 and I firmly believe Peter Travis nails it right in the head with his sound stage.

The only thing that does not fly with me is the excess blood spillage that makes it sadly look too artificial. It's clear where the CGI team was heading with the extra detailing of gruesome violence since DREDD was released in 3D, however it's the only reason that could negate points off this movies rating. However provided that the recurrence of such artificial bloodiness is seldom seen it will indeed negate a handsome amount in my rating later on.

Judge Dredd and Rookie Anderson answer a distress call in the corrupt future in a tower called Peach Trees. As the infiltrate they tower and capture a king pin of a mass drug wave the tower is locked down entrapping them within. The only option for survival is to fight until rescue arrives. Equipped with heavy body armor and once hell of a fancy gun, Dredd and Anderson steps up a notch!

TITLE: DREDD DIRECTED BY: PETER TRAVIS STARRING: KARL URBAN, OLIVIA THIRBLY & LENA HEADEY RATED: R RATING: 06/10 RUNTIME: 95 MINUTES

Great action, Urban is Dredd!

Author: MoistNarwhal from United Kingdom
24 August 2016

This was one of the remakes that NEEDED to happen, after the disappointment of the 1995 Judge Dredd. This is the way this character and story should have been done, dark, gritty and grounded in intense action. The action sequences are great, the characters are developed enough to be interesting and the visuals are captivating.

Although the plot can be considered underwhelming by some, I prefer to see it as just a smaller scale than what audiences have come to expect from an action movie. It's for this reason I see it as very clever to focus on Cassandra's character and story-arc instead. This is probably her biggest challenge ever, but perhaps not for Dredd. As far as the plot goes, for the run-time I think it was good. It makes sense and provides the story with enough tension and jeopardy for our leads.

The performances here were all good, but I wish more time was taken for some of the bad guys. Kay was interesting, but I feel like Ma-Ma could have had a bit more backstory. Dredd was perfect in this movie, and Cassandra was interesting enough for me to be invested.

Overall this movie is one of my favourites to re-watch and I don't think that will change. The action is good and the characters along with that is enough to keep viewers interested and satisfied. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend. I can only hope that the post-theatrical success of this film is enough to convince them to produce a sequel.

Dredded

Author: mordanttears from Finland
9 May 2015

Finally a movie that respects the tone of the Dredd stories. Karl Urban as Dredd wouldn't have come to my mind first but he ends up being perfect in the role.

Common critic might be about the plot, however having read all the Dredd albums the movie is faithful to how the comics work. There is also criticism of "lack of humor"... It's there all right - it's just very dark like in the books.

For a Dreddie like me this is a must see flick. More of this please me says and don't inflate the budget - things work just fine as they are without tens of millions in Special Fx.

Wow

Author: James Wood from United Kingdom
3 May 2015

Dredd 3D is one of the most violent and entertaining movies of the year! I went into the cinema expecting violence but nowhere near as bloody at this. Packing a tonne of action, an insanely evil baddie and two awesome protagonists, this is a guaranteed good time.

America is an irradiated wasteland. 800,000,00 live in the ruin of the old world in MegaCity One. Crime is at an all time high and a new drug called "Slow-Mo" is on the streets which allows addicts to experience time at a much slower rate than normal. When Judge Dredd is called out to investigate a homicide in Peachtrees, along with the help of Judge Anderson they end up locked down in the 200 storey tower, filled to the brim with the MaMa clan, a notorious gang leader who is distributing the drug. Now Dredd and Anderson must fight their way to the top and put an end to MaMa's clan and stop the Slow-Mo.

The plot unfolds in a spectacular manner, it never slows down it just speeds up, and the bold action sequences get faster and more exciting as the two Judges venture deeper into the tower. The action is brilliant beyond words, there's no messy editing so the camera stays with the action at all times, you are thrown into the deep end and the relentless nature never stops. It has be said that the 3D makes this film even more jaw dropping, the 3D is one of the stand out aspects, it is beautiful. The effects are mesmerising, transcendental, it genuinely feels like you are falling and experiencing part of the slow-mo drug effects. You can literally touch the glimmers of light and particles floating off the screen, and when the title "Dredd" appears it crashes into a million pieces and hits hard.

Karl Urban is electrifying as Dredd, a Judge who is in a 200 floor tower in lock-down, filled with thugs controlled by Lena Headey who plays Ma-Ma, a vicious and brutal criminal whose trademark is violence, Lena Headey is hands down the best bad guy of the year, forget Bane and Loki, her violence is shocking and the best scene features her echoed voice projecting across the speaker system addressing Peachtrees, the atmosphere kicks in and you know she is not to be messed with. Alongside Dredd is Olivia Thirlby who is excellent as Anderson, who follows Dredd on his mission. The way she develops throughout the movie is great, she starts as a rookie with the lack of confidence to execute, but as events worsen she turns into a full blown bad-ass.

DREDD 3D is a knockout 90 minutes of perfectly constructed non stop action, near perfect 3D and a fantastic cast, Dredd is a high recommendation and it gets better every time you watch it, so yes I'd watch it over and over again.

Enjoyably Mean

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
1 April 2015

I was never really a fan of Judge Dredd . My own favourite strip from 2000 AD was Invasion which told of a Communist conquest Britain by the Volgan Republic . That said I do realise Dredd is one of the legends of British comic strips due to the Judge often dishing out poetic justice to baddies and as a film fan I can also tell you the Stallone version of the mid 1990s was rather disappointing not least because it doesn't really keep to the spirit of the source material

What surprised me very much about this version is the producers have resisted the obvious temptation of maximising profits by playing it safe and going for a PG-13 cert . This doesn't happen and we've got a film featuring extreme violence , comic book violence mind you but it's still a little bit nasty and mean . The storyline itself is no great shakes , a reworking of DIE HARD but a simple premise often makes for good cinema and the production know that if you're going to have a film where the title character isn't allowed to take off his helmet under any circumstances then it's a good idea not to spend money on casting a big name star in the role .. Watch out for that poetic justice Dredd dishes out . Conscious that some people might be reminded of the original ROBOCOP the dialogue does give the occasional wink to the audience " Twenty seconds to comply"

Where DREDD is much less successful is the visuals . As has often been said on this page the expressionistic scenes featuring people under the influence of the slo-mo drug very quickly becomes over used . I haven't double checked but I take it this was filmed in 3-D ? I don't like 3-D . Never have and never will because the camera is always locked on at unnatural angles where objects like bullets and splatters of blood fly out of the screen and I guess that's the reason there's so much slow motion and takes advantage of the 3-D

The 3-D is something of a drawback because I found myself enjoying the film much more than I expected due to its mean spirited tone and tongue in cheek violence . It's obviously not an Oscar contender but as a slightly dark action blockbuster that doesn't itself too seriously it is a good film

Great

Author: Brian Downs from United States
15 February 2015

This movie was great because it hit everything that was expected of it. All the key requirement points of the first one, sex, blood, violence, and gore were met extremely well for the era that it was released in. Its the best R rated action movie we've had in a long time. If you just want to see some gratuitous violence and badassery for 95 minutes this is it! Personally I want another one with Olivia Thirlby as the same character being even more bad ass with the notion of experience. Also Karl Urban as Judge Dredd was a great choice. You really get that same Sylvester Stallone feel as he plays through the roll. I definitely recommend the watch! thumbs up! wheres the next one?! We are in the age of sequels and now you jip us.

Best Comic Movie EVER

Author: endorflp from Minnesota
3 December 2014

Dredd might be the very best comic to film adaptation ever made....period. In fact I would even argue that Karl Urban's performance as Judge Dredd is every bit as Oscar worthy, as Heath Ledger's joker (RIP H. L.). The ONLY...ONLY...did I mention ONLY?!!! problem with this film is that almost no one knows the Judge Dredd comics. It will never be as popular as something like Batman. Because of this the film will never get public recognition (like the Dark Night), and Karl Urban will not get the recognition he as a comic book hero like: Toby Maguire.spider-man, Christian bale/batman, Hugh Jackman/xmen, iron man, hulk, captain America, etc. etc, etc, etc, etc, jeez! Take the Hollywood out and you will get nothing with these actors in these roles....

This movie is unbelievable on just about every level. WATCH IT!!!!!!!

A lot better than the first but it still could be improved upon

Author: SnoopyvsRedBaron from United States
28 May 2014

I have read some Judge Dredd comics over the years and watched disappointedly the 1995 movie, JUDGE DREDD . I do not claim to be a fanboy that knows the entire Judge Dredd Universe.

I loved the most of this movie is this interpretation of Judge Dredd played by Karl Urban. This Dredd is not half funny, half serious like the way Sylvester Stallone played him. This Dredd is serious all the time. Even the "humor" that this Dredd shows is more direct and cynical than goofy. You can get the feeling that this Judge Dredd came out of the comic and straight into the movie. The violence is to be expected of course, pretty bloody and a bit gory but again if anyone even read on Judge Dredd comic would not be surprised. Dredd's rookie partner, Judge Anderson, is played by Olivia Thirby and is pretty true to the Judge Anderson from the comics with her Psi abilities. She represents the humanity that Judge Dredd either lacks or unwilling to show in this film. She shows to be more compassionate and understanding toward the citizens of Mega City and the Mega Block called Peach Trees. She definitely is not a side-kick that Rob Sneider was in JUDGE DREDD. Most of the villains were believable and not entirely clichéd. Most important of all, Judge Dredd never removes his helmet once in the movie. The entire cast seems to work well together and flowed smoothly in this film with great screen writing to help.

Now my disappointments on this film. I noticed that other than the gigantic Mega Blocks shown in the movie, and the Judge's personal multi-faceted pistols; everything else look like a modern, crime-ridden city. The vehicles that people drove look modern cars you would see in the highway, Judge Dredd's motorcycle looks like a souped up Decati with machine guns hidden on the sides. Nothing looked futuristic like in the JUDGE DREDD movie and which the comics also clearly show. Minus Judge Dredd and Anderson and the rest of the Judges, this movie would look no different than scenes in TRAINING DAY, COLORS, 16 BLOCKS, etc. Other than the modern look of Mega-City One, the film does show the grittiness and anarchy that rules much of the streets and mega blocks. Looks like the environment of Earth of ELYSIUM or the sectioned off alien area of DISTRICT 9.

Overall I loved the film. I love the violence and how life is so cheap in Mega City One that this movie showed just like the comic. This Judge Dredd definitely has the look of the comic book. However maybe because of budgeting, the overall environment looked like a modern city with its streets and vehicles looking no different than bad area of downtown Los Angeles. Not much was spent of making Mega City One looking like a futuristic dystopian city of JUDGE DREDD. Hopefully in the next sequel there will be more futuristic look with maybe more characters from the comics like Judge Rico, The Angel Gang, etc. If this movie had the setting and background history of the 1995 movie combined, this movie would have been awesome and definitely a 10!