IMDb > Dredd (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dredd

Dredd More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 59: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Awesome everyone should check out Dredd this movie was my favorite movie of (2012)

Author: nikola17 from Australia
27 September 2013

this movie was so underrated this movie should not be bomb it's not that high budget movie it was $45 Million and box office $36.5 million. i don't know why they put very very very good movies into bomb Dredd 3D, the much-anticipated (in some quarters) action sci-fi, opened at no. 5 on the North American box office chart, with a dismal $2.23 million at 2,506 venues on Friday according to studio estimates found at Box Office Mojo. Directed by Peter Travis and starring Karl Urban in the title role, Dredd will probably bring in around $6-6.5 million for the weekend — despite 3D surcharges. (Photo: Karl Urban Dredd 3D.) That would be a downright abysmal opening — worse than the already dreadful $8 million to $10 million that pundits had predicted — for the much-talked about reboot of the Sylvester Stallone movie Judge Dredd, which debuted with a already-not-that-impressive $12.29 million ($22.6 million adjusted for inflation) back in 1995. A Lionsgate release in North America, the international co-production Dredd has a reported $45-50m budget; the film's only chance of recovering its production budget (of course, not factoring in Pre-sales , etc.) is the international box office, where 3D action movies perform much more strongly than in North America. Box-office hope for Dredd 3D? The good news: Judge Dredd cumed at a weak $34.69 million (approx. $64 million adjusted) in North America, but went on to earn more than twice as much abroad. The bad news: Despite grossing $113.49 million worldwide, Judge Dredd was still flop, as it cost a reported $90m. (Remember: as a rule of thumb distributors / producing companies get about 50-55% of the domestic gross; 40% of the international gross.) The worse news: Dredd will likely cume at $15-18 million in North America, which means it'll need to gross about six times as much internationally so as to break even at the worldwide box office — despite having cost much less than the Stallone original, especially if inflation is taken into account. To date, things don't look all that promising: $4.4 million in the UK and $784k in Spain after ten days (Sept. 16). But we'll see. that is F*CKED UP !!! even this movie was fun and underrated movie yet made why could Hollywood could of bombed Remake of Total Recall (2012) ??? that should be bomb not Dredd there is thousands of Dredd Fans out there waiting for next sequel they should do next sequel for fans to do Dredd on 3D people when the people look at Dredd they no COME ON LOOK AT POSTER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD IT LOOKS AWESOME MOVIE EVER YET MADE !!!!! i love this because it wasn't remake it's like Batman Begins but why this should BOMB this should not bomb Screw Hollywood Pu**y likes Twilight and Hunger Games was the crap i love scene in Dredd when shot guy with gun Dredd Says Hot Shot,shoots the guy in month the guy head is melt like ice-cream the 3D shots was great and action slow motion was awesome when Dredd blow up the Door shooting all guys in head in slow motion the movie used kinda cgi not really more combining high-speed photography and Color saturation if see movie then you will understand this movie is like 80's style with music and Apartment Shooting with Mini guns from Terminator 2 shoot at Dredd blowing up all room out this movie has a lot of non stop Action if you want Action this is Right Movie for you but people who watch drama or another movies says boring i get bored with action movies there are not action fans this is for everybody and Action fans i love original Judge Dredd with Sylvester Stallone this is not Remake this is like Batman Begins Restart movie this 10/10 MAKE DREDD 2!!!!!!

Short review and suggestion for producers

Author: vojvoda1998 from Serbia
15 September 2013

This is my first comment about movies on IMDb, and it will be short. I watched longtime ago Judge Dredd (1995) and as I remember I liked it. This night I watched this old new judge in a world of crime and life spoils, and I am very impressed. Enjoyed every moment of it. Great action futuristic science fiction master piece.

Movie is not for everyone, but for people who enjoy this genre I highly recommend. (As I read a review here by BA_Harrison and I have decided to watch this movie).

As i said already this is top entertainment and because of that I have suggestion for producers to invest their time and money in creating a Judge Dredd TV Show, there is a lot of material and great stories. I think it will be great, and this movie can be used for pilot, to get the interest of broadcasters.

Slipped under the radar

Author: Zach Weandesh
5 August 2013

Dredd is one of the best action movies I have seen in the last few years. It wouldn't surprise me, that the sole reason why it didn't make its budget back at the box office, was the 1995 cheese-fest "Judge Dredd" starring Sylvester Stallone. This remake is miles ahead of his predecessor and more reminiscent of the early "Die Hard"-movies.

Dredd has the feel of an outstanding 80s- and 90s-action-flick, which happen to have been made in 2013. The story is simple, the characters don't have real depth to them, but the ride is so much fun that you really don't care. Dredd is fast-paced, violent and doesn't cut or turn the camera when a character dies on screen.

Although some scenes stick out as "made for 3D", they didn't bother my 2D-viewing-experience at all, but rather tempt me to revisit the movie in 3D - which never happened to me before.

(Note: I am not able estimate how good the actual 3D is.)

This version is SIMPLY TRUE to the ORIGINAL!

Author: andrew-hannon3 from United Kingdom
25 July 2013

Much has been made of Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby's performances, and rightly so!

Urban IS Dredd, imbuing him with absolutist thinking, totalitarian authority and righteous purpose... ...in the face of violent, criminal anarchy and corruption.

Those who think of Thirlby's "Judge Anderson" as a late addition, created to provide some "emotional relief", need to be put right on the subject!

Anderson is an ORIGINAL character from 2000AD and provided us with some of Dredd's greatest plot lines, from the start.

Olivia Thirlby does a great job, giving us a complete character. Adept, brave and growing in strength; sensitive but not "gawky". It's as if she stepped from the page. And if you're happy with Anderson so far,believe me, "you ain't seen nothing' yet!", as somebody once said.

Some have attempted to write this movie off as mindless pap. They couldn't be further from the truth!

I'd suggest they think of Dredd as being colossal, Wagnerian, epic and operatic; tackling huge issues, in broad strokes, unafraid of high stakes and full of violent, reductive statements from all sides.

;)

Anderson was a feminist pioneer, when feminism was still a hot topic! Mega City One existed in a nuclear waste land, when the Cold War still held an imposing chill! The conflict between criminal anarchy and totalitarian authority provides the backdrop for Dredd's entire mythology.

Unthinking action? There is more subject matter here than you can shake a stick at!

Previous versions of Dredd have treated the franchise with very little respect. Nobody could be expected to take Dredd seriously, when he was played by Stallone in a cash-cow, reprising Rambo. The epitome of style over substance.

No wonder some people mistakenly feel the need, to talk about "the great one liners", when they have been led up the garden path for so long!

Those who wish to accuse Dredd of "borrowing" elements from other franchises, need to realise they're late. About 30 years late, to be precise.

Judge Dredd brings us a wealth of material, which has stood for 30 years, and still chimes the same uncomfortable chords.

This is the first film aiming to explore Dredd's world, instead of attempting to exploit his fans, his badge and his name!

This movie understands the themes, the personality of Dredd's world, and the issues arising in a version of our future, gone wrong.

Dredd has always been a FUTURE SHOCK, that perhaps isn't so far away!

Now it seems, Dredd is finding his place in our world.

;)

Bring me more!

This was good.

Author: funismyname
21 May 2013

At first I was upset because I had seen The Raid: Redemption and had read the reviews on this movie. Then I saw the film. Taking the plot from one film and merging it with the world of Dredd really works. This feels like the first Hard R rated comic book property released. It is long overdue. Kids read comics because they are R-Rated, then the films are released in PG or PG-13. No wonder they fail.

There is a character who is a mind-reader. That was dumb. It removes some grit and adds "kiddie movie" substance. Lena Headey also comes off as annoying but not tough. She's totally unrealistic as the overly built up character she portrays. The look of dissatisfaction that she's carried from role to role kinda annoys me too. She comes off as a wimpy villain who talks the talk but can't walk the walk.

Besides that, I have no other complaint. Karl Urban is perfect. His acting nails the role. He better be in the sequel. The set design, and action were brilliant. It makes me really happy to see the Stallone version of this get replaced by something serious. That PG garbage reminded me of the pathetic TMNT movie with Corey Feldman. It gives me hope that someday someone will make the Punisher and not screw it up.

I truly hope to see more of this adult franchise. And I hope all other comic book adapters wake up and target their true audience, the Hard-R, adult audience. PG-13 is for filmmakers without courage or vision. Maybe they should ask Freidkin to direct one.

Episodic & Involving Violent Gusto

Author: cultfilmfreaksdotcom from Orange County, CA
8 April 2013

An ultra-violent take on the Judge Dredd comic books, set in a futuristic world where criminals have turned American cities into demilitarized zones, probably wanted to separate itself from the maligned 1990's Sylvester Stallone flick. Although Karl Urban, in Dredd's metallic uniform, does somewhat resemble – at least from the nose down – the action icon as he speaks with a similar guttural growl, leaving most of the dialog to his sidekick, who thankfully isn't Rob Schneider.

Enter Olivia Thirlby's Cassandra Anderson, brand new to the force of elite judges who don't sit behind a desk with a gavel, passively passing judgment after the cops have done their work. These roving crime-fighters are the police, the jury and more often than not, the executioner while Cassandra, a doe-eyed rookie partnered with Dredd to investigate a triple homicide within an ominous high rise, has more than one Ace: she's also a "mutant" psychic able to find truth with a touch of the hand.

While THE AVENGERS successfully garnered a contained "We got a problem" storyline, the DREDD protagonists are caught knee-deep inside the problem: Once both judges arrest a drug dealer whose testimony could bust the sinister gang leader Ma-Ma (Lena Headey)… a cold, calculating vixen pushing a drug called "Slow Mo"… giant doors lock everyone within the mazy building interior. Thus 95% of the film has our heroes trying to get out with the perpetrator and more importantly, their lives.

The soundtrack, reminiscent of John Carpenter's early compositions, is a dark metronomic heartbeat keeping the action flowing from one shootout to the next. Unfortunately Dredd, although one tough cookie and a fun guy to root for, isn't that much different from his aggressive gun-wielding adversaries, especially when a group of bad judges arrive during the 11th hour. Perhaps his sidekick, who eventually realizes her heart might not be in this brutal occupation, has something to do with his ability to remain alive – since we only get one introductory scene without her assistance, Dredd's a difficult title character to entirely distinguish on his own merit.

While Cassandra's visible flashes into other people's thoughts often distract from the steely mainline, she's an effective co-lead who's much more than eye candy, helping the somewhat basic story, feeling like a singular episode of a JUDGE DREDD cable series, be the high-octane motion picture it vehemently strives for.

New Judge Dredd movie - kinda cool!

Author: wordspinner82 from Bath, England
20 August 2013

Before I start, I should say that I've never properly read Judge Dredd (just haven't got round to it) and the most I know of the subject matter comes from the Stallone film and occasional flicks through 2000AD (normally whilst looking for the Durham Red pages).

On to the movie. Karl Urban is easily one of my favorite tough guy actors, putting out great performances in everything from LOTR to Red. Watching him contort his face into THE Stallone scowl was highly entertaining, as was the very un-Urban growl. Nevertheless, the moment I saw him I accepted him as Dredd.

The Anderson character (Olivia Thirlby) made a great counterpoint to the battle hardened Dredd - a fragile rookie with an expected lifespan of about three minutes. The interplay between the two main characters was well balanced and realistic, giving me a way into the world of the Judges through her eyes.

The pace and plot of the movie was excellent, with gratuitous violence sliding nicely in between plot reveals and flashbacks (normally of more violence). Lena Headey was terrifying as always, as well as totally believable as the big boss. The movie was slick, using long slo-mo sequences to full effect (as well as having a plot sensible reason for them, for once!) and creating some beautiful set pieces.

Gritty and ugly, MegaCity One looked exactly the way you'd expect a dystopian metropolis to look, both in the wide shots and in the close ups. With a disdain and disregard for human life from both the criminals and Judges, the image of the Dredd universe was immediately clear.

The story itself carried a feeling of being an excellent stand-alone story, a perfect set up for further movies/series and an introduction to the world of Judge Dredd. Easy to imagine a whole new group of readers diving into the comics from watching the movies (I will be!)

You betrayed the law!

Author: chetaninbox-668-54666 from India
7 July 2013

If i really tell you i was not expecting too much from this movie but after watching it's trailer i thought i should give it a try and it was one of the best in this genre. This movie is about a Dredd a super cop who enter in a 200 story tower block with a rookie cop she has some powerful psychic abilities and there they fight against the lord Ma-Ma and her ruthless gang. How they destroy the gang with some robust action.

With some great "Slo-Mo" sequence they will stop your breath and make you fill you are part of the movie. I will regret this in my whole life i haven't seen this movie in 3D. I will recommend every one to watch this blasting thrilling performance go and watch this how they punish this gang.

Karl Urban was good and i am in love with Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey was also good with her performance.

Overall superb film, you will definitely not going to disappointment yourself. Go and give it a chance. Hoping for the sequel for this movie

DREDD 3D. Solid, Visceral, Intelligent, a rare triumph.

Author: thingamebobs from United Kingdom
6 April 2013

Wow, where to begin about Dredd 3D? You'll notice that I'm calling it "Dredd 3D" and not just "Dredd" for a start. Thats because I've seen it both in 3D at the cinema and 2d on a big screen TV. The 3D adds so much!

I really don't know where to begin, so I'll start by letting you know that I read the original comic strip of Judge Dredd from "2000ad" beginning with issue one and ending at about 400. So you could say that I grew up with this character.

Strangely, where the entirely 'pedestrian' 1996 Sly Stallone film actually scored, this film doesn't. Now that's not too bad a thing as this film scores in ALL other areas so it more than makes up for it. The ABC robot and Rover supplied concept cars of the 1996 film were entirely fitting for the Mega City location (a futuristic city of millions, overcrowded, dystopian, with mile high 'mega blocks'). But the 1996 film was fairly horrible in all other areas so the larger budget doesn't make up for a lack of substance in all other respects.

In Dredd 3D, the city looks good enough, but there are no robots and the cars/vans are all current stock which is a shame and is why I deduct one mark from the theoretical 'ten' and a perfect score. However, that's really where the criticism ends.

The 'Law-master' motorcycles in Dredd 3D are really nicely done. They look entirely as I'd have hoped and are far superior to the hideous flying crapfests of the Stallone version.

Karl as Dredd is suitably large, inflexible, imposing and unfriendly. Remember that Dredd in the 1970s comic is basically 'Dirty Harry' in a helmet given free reign. The Dredd Character was so closely modelled on Clint Eastwood that you could almost say that instead of Dredd being "the man with no name", he was "the name with no face". Olivia wouldn't have been my personal choice for Cassandra Anderson (Who is basically a Farrah Fawcett clone in the comic) but she does a good enough job.

Anyway, enough about that, let's talk about the movie.

A post apocalyptic USA is divided into lawless radiation deserts (the cursed earth) and giant walled cites called 'Mega Cities' which are dominated by mile high 'mega blocks'. In Dredd 3D we only hear about one city: Mega City 1.

The future hasn't turned out as 'we' might have hoped, but sadly it's about as we might expect. Grey, dirty and dusty, where the only bright things are the neon signs. It's violent, uncaring and brutally overseen by a hard line right-wing authoritarian quasi-military regime: The "Judges".

They are the police, army, court system and executioners all rolled into one. Dispensing arbitrary justice on the spot via sentences of isolation cells or a bullet.

So this is where things get clever. A new drug is hitting these streets. A drug called 'Slo-mo' (Slow mode), which presumably amongst other psychological effects makes the passage of time appear to be slowed to a mere fraction of normal.

And that's where the 3D comes into it's own. The 3D allows us to almost 'experience' the 'slo-mo' as those using it. We see the simplest aspects of the dull grey dystopian future brought to life in enhanced colour and absolutely exquisite super slow motion. Everyday scenes become at once beautiful and almost magical.

Then we see the same 'enhancements' applied to scenes of graphic violence and the result is something that I can honestly say was one of the great cinema experiences of my life. Bullets tear through flesh in Technicolour life-model versions of ballistic gel tests filmed in high-def at hundreds of frames per second with psychedelic drug enhanced colours. Seeing this at the cinema was an experience that will stay with me for a long time. It was hard to watch and beautiful at the same time. Like witnessing a car crash, you don't 'want' to watch but you can't look away.

So, I'm not going to give you any spoilers. Not going to tell you about the plot. I'll just tell you that seeing this in 3D (so I guess you'll have to get the blu-ray) on a big screen TV will blow you away!

The fact that we won't be getting a sequel or a third movie with Judge Death is a tragedy!

A ton better then the Stallone version, but that's not saying much. Action and story are good, I just couldn't get into it. I say B-

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
3 January 2013

"Mega city 1, 800 million people living in the ruin of the old world and the mega structures of the new one. Only one thing fighting for order in the chaos...judges." In the future the justice system has changed and now justice is dispensed by urban cops called judges. They are judge, jury and executioner of all people with the one named Dredd (Urban) being the most feared. I have to admit that I was very leery of this going in and that is only because I have seen the Stallone version a long time ago. That was not a good movie. Compared to that one this movie is great, standing alone it's OK. It may just be me but I just could not really get into this movie. The action is good and the story is actually not that bad but for me it just couldn't hold my attention. Im sure many people will love this movie and will watch it regardless of what I say but for me there are many other sci-fi action movies out there there are much better, the new "Total Recall" being one of them. Overall, not bad but hard for me to stay focused on. I give it a B-.