IMDb > The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Luftslottet som sprängdes

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest More at IMDbPro »Luftslottet som sprängdes (original title)

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Exciting recapitulation of the Millennium trilogy

Author: denglidendekop from Copenhagen, Denmark
17 November 2009

Perspective: I am 25, Danish (thus understanding Swedish) and have not read the books.

The final movie covering Stieg Larssons Millennium trilogy ties all the pieces together and explains the deeper reasons for Lisbeth Salanders unreasonable treatment by society.

Compared to its predecessors, I found the first movie highly gripping for its unique roughness and interesting characters, while the sequel didn't really catch me due to a plain storyline and little creativity. This movie however is back on track, keeping a good pace of events and complexity.

If you have already followed Salander and Blomkvist during the previous books/movies, you will surely enjoy watching how the conspiracy is being unraveled through intense investigations and court trials. You will experience how the opposition crumble beneath Salander and Blomkvists combined efforts at exposing and confronting the deeper reasons for Salanders struggles, and how they piece the puzzle together to clear her name and taking down the shady factions of society.

The movie has a nice level of well thought out detail, but also a several logical breaches. You leave the cinema with a feeling of wanting to know much more about how the initial conspiracy evolved and how parts of the investigation (not involving the key characters) is carried out. This is likely due to the dept of Stieg Larssons books, being impossible to portrait in just 150 swift minutes. This may eventually be a teaser lurking me into reading the books.

Great ending, but I don't want it to end

Author: MusicaEternal (martinclarke70@gmail.com) from Wales
11 April 2010

The final film in the Millennium Trilogy and what a great film is it, right up there with it's precursors.

We learn even more about Lisbeth's, hidden organisations, and how everything is linked. The pieces of the puzzle come together, and I felt the film explained almost everything pretty cleverly, though this does involve some concentration from the viewer, because some of the links are not emphasised that well and maybe can be missed.

This is more similar to the first one, in the style of directing and also the ruthless reporting is back. Less action than the first, but no less enthralling for it. There is a lot of tension in this movie, and it made for compulsive viewing.

These three films have turned me more onto more modern Swedish Cinema. I was always a fan of Bergman and I have seen a few movies over the last few years from there, but this makes me want to keep a closer eye on the Swedish Film Making Industry. Great success guys, I look forward to seeing much more cinema from Sweden. Now I will read the books.

9/10 Excellent

Final half of the second story

Author: siderite from Romania
26 June 2010

I will not call this a third part in the Millennium series, since it starts exactly where The Girl Who Played with Fire left off and continues with the same story. However, if the first film was a classic mystery thriller and the second film was more of an action thriller, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest goes in the direction of a political thriller. Spies, government agencies, covert operations, etc. It successfully explains things and closes all avenues opened by the first two films.

I have to say that I felt the movie both unreal and gratifying. Trained with US films about shadow agencies that kill anyone stand in their way, I found the Swedish counterparts meek and overly cautious. But what version is the more realistic one, I have no idea. So, yes, it felt strangely different from American thrillers, but it also made sense. Clearly it has a refreshing point of view on the matter.

Bottom line: I guess there is little purpose in watching this film and not watch the other two preceding it in the trilogy. And since you liked the other two, you should see this one as well. I enjoyed it, it explained everything that was left unexplained and everybody got their share. Of course, there is still room for another Micke and Lisbeth story, but clearly with a new plot.

Ignore the critics, the movie rocks!

Author: Hellmant from United States
21 November 2010

'THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST': Four and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

The third part in the wildly popular Swedish crime series the 'Millennium Trilogy' (following 'THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO' and 'THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE', both released earlier this year in America and last year in Sweden and other parts of the world.) based on the successful books by the late Stieg Larson (who died in 2004 before the first book was published in 2005). The films are so successful that they're already being remade in America, the first of which is to be directed by David Fincher and star Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig. This final chapter is adapted by Ulf Ryberg and directed by Daniel Alfredson, who also directed the second installment (the original was directed by Niels Arden Oplev). The title has been changed from it's original Swedish title of 'The Air Castle That Blew Up' for American audiences, like the original's title was changed from 'Men Who Hate Women'. The film once again stars the beautiful and stunning Noomi Rapace as Lisbeth Salander (the title role) and Michael Nyqvist as Mikael Blomkvist.

As the movie opens Lisbeth is being taken to a hospital for urgent care due to being shot multiple times, including a head shot, by her father at the climax of the second film. The police are awaiting her recovery so they can arrest her and charge her with the attempted murder of her father, who she struck in the head with an ax in self defense. Her freakish, abnormally strong half brother (once again played by Micke Spreitz) is also waiting to finish the job he and his father started of killing Lisbeth. It's up to her journalist friend Mikael and his Millennium magazine co-workers to clear her name and bring the conspirators against her to justice. The people out to silence Lisbeth are very powerful though and Mikael and his team soon find themselves in grave danger as well.

The film has received only mediocre reviews from critics, with many calling it a boring disappointment, but the fans so far mostly think otherwise. The packed 'Darkside Cinema' viewing I attended appeared to love it, with many cheering the film throughout and applauding the ending. I found the film to be much more entertaining and involving than reviews had lead me to believe and thought it was a very satisfactory conclusion to a great trilogy. While it doesn't quite live up to the classic original it is better than the second chapter, despite a decrease in action and violence. It's suspenseful as well as emotionally drenching and full of crowd pleasing moments. The court room drama that fills the third act is extremely captivating and emotionally involving. The directing and cinematography are superb as well as the thrilling score (once again composed by Jacob Groth). The acting is all stellar as well, especially Rapace who once again steals the show (with a character soon to become iconic). It's a well made and satisfying conclusion to an outstanding trilogy that should please almost any fan, despite what critics say.

Watch our review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffxjYiwLUko

The best of the bunch!

Author: macktan894 from United States
14 November 2010

After watching Hornet's Nest, you'll want to go back to Dragon Tattoo and experience all three films again in sequence. Like coming to the end of an exceptional book, you'll hope for more, surely another way to eke out a Lisbeth Salander film to enjoy. She has become with this trilogy one of the strongest female characters in 21st century film. No wonder actresses were battling to play her--she is the equivalent to Jason Bourne in any regard. (I can't imagine Hollywood doing a better job of these films--can you?)

I believe Hornet's Nest is best of the bunch. Salander is cornered, in hospital and under arrest, in danger of being recommitted to the institution that held her under guardianship. Despite her uncommunicative nature, Salander has friends, true friends who'll stick their necks out to protect her. But Salander is always willing to fight for herself, and she finds ways to do battle.

Hornet's Nest gives us a better film than the other in terms of suspense and dramatic flow. The pieces assemble, the foes are distinguished from the good guys, there is conflict and threat launched in surprising ways. Of the three, Hornet's Nest is the most suspenseful and best executed of the films in my opinion, a superb finish to a wonderful series.

Excuse me while I start reading the books.

Loved It!

Author: rossdisco from United Kingdom
26 November 2010

I would never normally write reviews, however after being disgusted by the unbelievable 6.7/10 I had to comment.

For the fact that there is rarely a trilogy of such merit, and yes we can all name the few that come to mind, that in itself deserves credit.

The finale was definitely the highlight, with all loose ends tied and also so satisfactorily lacking the Hollywood ending that we've all known to come and hate, I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

The only things that upsets me now is I might not be strong enough to avoid curiosity and peek at the Hollywood attempt. Though rest assured my curiosity will be spent within the opening sequences I am sure.

The great thing about this trilogy is that I have watched it on my own and now have the excuse to watch again with friends! Enjoy.

Grande Finale

Author: Joni-Pekka Luomala from Finland
1 January 2010

One of the best movies I've ever seen and definitely THE very best happy-ending-movie! That means something, cause I consider movies being my hobby and I've seen quite a few (not really into books). Justice is served finally and totally. Yet it doesn't make the movie seem like most of the other movies in the happy-ending-genre. The film was all action without much action. Not a moment where the story doesn't progress. It is very different from the first two, and dare I say, in a good way. I find this to be the only movie trilogy I've seen where the final movie is actually the best. I found myself loving the movie on many occasions. If you've seen the first two this is a must. If not, watch them first and then come back for this one. It's worth it!

Great ending to this trilogy

Author: DaveGu from United States
17 December 2010

Just back from seeing Hornet's - I guess there's only one hornet in the - Nest. Great conclusion to a trilogy of well done movies. I was glued to my seat at the theater, and not by gummy bears. While the movie was long, I didn't notice. I was captivated by the story and will say that the other two must be seen before this one.

The books have been wildly popular. Wish the movies were more widely distributed so others could enjoy them as much as I did.

Thumbs up to the Swedish film makers. Thumbs up to the cast, especially Noomi. Simply great work.

Highly recommended. 9/10

Gripping, engrossing and tense.

Author: lukeritus from United Kingdom
28 November 2012

The final instalment in the series and, I have to say it was worth the wait, I watched the two previous instalments and was left with excitement and anticipation for the third. This final instalment did not disappoint it had me gripped from beginning to end with some real tense scenes and excellent dialogue between the characters, interspersed with scenes of chilling realism and tense action. This film sums up for me what Hollywood has lacked for......well years, in that special effects and action sequences although entertaining (barely) do not work unless they actually have a story that is both engrossing and also contains actors that grab you and bring you into the film. Anyway before I get on a rant this film and the whole trilogy are worth watching and I can't recommend them enough.

The dragon tattoo series

Author: oregontinaw from United States
21 October 2010

I am in deep sorrow that Steig was not allowed to continue his writing. Like all great series, if made in to one grand movie we would say it was too long or not detailed enough. It would need to be; to flesh out all the characters and action. However as an English speaking/reading person, I thought the books were translated with finesse and watching the movies they are well crafted so that one follows the storyline even when reading the subtitles. I will buy all the dvds for my library as I have the books.

The third movie/book wraps all the story lines in a rough basket and you can breathe a deep sign when it is over.

I must add a word of caution to anyone reading this. These movies will not make as much sense or be as much of an impact to the person who has not read the books. There is a plot, but all the nuances will be lost on the non-reader. Read the books first! I am fearful of the American version that is to be made. While I like the casting of Mikael in the US version better than the original, I worry about miscasting of the rest. It can make or break a movie in my opinion. OH BE CAREFUL!! The woman who played in the original will be tough to recreate, she was perfect for the part!

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]