Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned

And I thought the supremacy of The Original GTA IV was enough!

Author: stee_nolan from Ireland
26 April 2009

WELL! Just when I thought Grand Theft Auto 4 was superb, they went and brought out something that rises above the already extreme grand yardstick! Cruisin around Liberty City on your Harley Davidson, messing around with your sawed off shot gun, blowing people across the boundaries as well as knocking them over... But wait... You have a gang of other bikes on your side following you in formation where ever you go! Really Rockstar have outdone themselves again and I'd have confidence in them for every chapter they have to sell us.

I won't be second in line to get it this time.

GTA fans, do not hesitate in any way to buy this fantastic Expansion, especially at such a cheap price. It is well worth it, Believe Me! Overall rating: 10/10

The Loved and Damned

Author: Jules
17 April 2010

Being one of those unfortunate Playstation owners who had to wait for the much anticipated slice of Grand Theft Auto's DLC I can certainly say it was worth the delay; delivering a fantastic story that links into to the original instalment as well as a new protagonist, new weapons and pretty much everything a faithful DLC is made up of.

Johnny Klebitz is a member of the ugliest biker gang in Liberty City - The Lost (There is yet to be a playable character of the series that doesn't look like a shaven monkey - Sorry Rockstar). He has to, as expected; deal with all sort of shenanigans set to come his way within the course of roughly six to eight hours of story gameplay.

Now if you haven't already played the marvellous Grand Theft Auto 4(though you probably have, if you didn't purchase Episodes From Liberty City), then it is strongly recommended to play through Niko Bellic's story since plot details, characters and the ashamed knowledge that you know Liberty City better than your own city will all be very important to helping you appreciate the finer details of this DLC. If you do the unthinkable habit of skipping cut scenes then this obviously wont matter too much, but will help never the less.

The gameplay is the exactly the same as before so players who haven't used their dusty console in a long time shouldn't have too much trouble remembering the basics. The Lost and Damned adds plenty of fun elements to the sterling gameplay though - such as whacking people in the face with a baseball bat while racing and a Grenade Launcher that makes the old RPG look like an antique. Helpfully there are also some more useful elements such as checkpoints in long missions meaning no huge back tracking that was seen in the end of Grand Theft Auto 4.

The story ties up some unanswered loose ends of GTA 4, and creates new ones which The Ballad of Gay Tony will inevitably finish off. Also the plot despite using similar ideas seen in the previous game displays them in a different context and scenarios throughout, which does justice to the gritty tale of GTA 4 and makes the shoot-outs and killings feel more significant and varied because of this strong sense of story.

Rockstar have made a DLC worthy of any gamer's attention and made it in keeping with the tone, realism and depth fans received when they first stepped into Liberty City.

A Fantastic Gaming Expeirence For Those Grand Theft Auto Fans.

Author: kylehaines96 from United States
31 December 2011

After Grand Theft Auto IV There were 2 Semi-Sequels came out. One was this and the other was The Ballad Of Gay Tony. But lets take a look at The Lost And Damned.

The game is about Johnny Klebitz voiced wonderfully by Scott Hill has been acting president for The Lost Motorcycle Gang. Then Billy Grey who is the real president of the club and wants to commit very sadistic and violent acts. Later on Billy is arrested and A little twerp named Brian blames Johnny but Johnny fights through his goons and eventually kills Brian and now has to go after Billy because Johnny found out from his junkie girlfriend Ashley that in order for Billy to get out of prison has to testify against Johnny and if he does Billy gets released and Johnny gets 15 years.

This was a short yet awesome, Dark, Gritty video game that is vulgar, sadistic and violent game that may be hardcore that GTA IV But some of the characters are annoying but other than that a fantastic game.

Rated M For Blood And Gore, Intense Violence, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content And Use Of Drugs And Alcohol.

340 uses of the F-word during the story.

23 levels.

****/****

A good companion piece to GTA 4

Author: KillerK1991 from United States
19 August 2012

LAD carries on what makes GTA games so fun, having the hilarious characters, the gritty storyline, and wicked soundtrack to boot. The radio ads are still fun as ever; gta does the impossible and makes advertisements fun, if only the real world could accomplish this. People may complain that the biker characters are a little shallow, however I find it refreshing to have characters that aren't in denial of their psychotic tendencies; I'm looking at you CJ. The storyline will keep you hooked just to see sly connections betweenit and the main game. Unfortunately, the biker saga ends rather anti climatically. It also happens to be incredibly short; you can burn through this in a few hours, which is forgivable since it is essentially dlc. The new guns are awesome; favorites of mine being the auto pistol and devastating machine-shotty. While not quite as robust and game-changing as red dead's zombie nightmare, this game reminds me of the fun that can be had in the gta universe. Recommended to those who want more out of their GTA 4.

Enjoyable extension to the GTA4 world even if it is not as good as the main game (Major Spoilers)

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
17 October 2010

While playing Grand Theft Auto 4 you will have had contact with a lot of characters within the criminal underworld – all of whom have their own stories in this big city. The first extra chapter to the game sees you step into the shoes of one of the motorcycle gang "The Lost", who you will have met a few times already as he was involved in the diamond theft and double-crosses with mobster Ray. In Johnny's story he has been doing good business with the gang and now the President Billy has returned from jail, hell-bent on war and destruction – threatening everything that has been built. This plus some other characters sees Johnny sucked into actions and situations that he would otherwise have avoided.

Starting with the story it must be said that it is not as engaging as GTA4, but then it is not as full a game so perhaps that is understandable. The lack of "you decide" options is therefore understandable as well but I would have liked at least the allusion of choice in regards some of the missions. Things move forward in a rather linear way and I didn't feel a sense of building that happened in GTA4, where small crimes led to mobster involvement led to high-level political corruption. Here it is what it is and in particular the conflict with Billy could have been done better to produce more of a sense of drama – it does this well early on but it gets lost in the action and the final mission (a high-risk prison assassination) offers no real emotional punch or reward, indeed you enter a room and Billy stands there till you kill him – no words, no cut-scene, no drama.

This aside though the story does have some good things about it. I liked the way it did dovetail so well into the stories I had already been part of – filling in other perspectives and details while telling its own story. The one female character is used well as a plot device and doesn't try to force emotions onto her. In GTA4 we were expected to feel for a woman that had just shown up and only annoyed me as a player – with Lost I didn't get that, Ashley was used well and fitted the world I was in. Talking of people not bugging you, I liked that in this game people were not constantly asking to go and do "social" (boring) activities with me and that I wasn't punished for just playing the story. I still had the option to do this but it didn't feel as forced on me as it did in GTA4. I have finished the story now but there are still things to do and as usual Rockstar have plenty of side missions or distractions to add time to the game – the gang wars are fun as are some of the other side stories. The races I hate simply because I still don't love the bikes even if they are vastly easier to drive than in GTA4! A few more achievements would have been better though – I know the points are limited by Microsoft but fewer could have been given for completing the story and more spread out over races etc.

The game world is as impressive as GTA4, even if at times it seemed a little emptier in terms of NPC characters and traffic. One horrible decision about it is the way that they tried to make it gritty by making it look gritty. For the first few hours of play it was bugging me regularly, the game seemed blurry and fuzzy like I had a bad connection on my cables. I checked them and then Googled something like "why does L&D look awful" and found endless people asking the same question and getting directed to the menu to switch it off. This aside it does look great and the characters in the cut scenes look convincing and have plenty of expression. As usual the sense of humour and mischief is there too with male nudity and other comic creations amongst the drama.

Overall Lost & Damned is not as good as GTA4 in terms of story-telling but it is still a great fun little game. The different style of play works well as well and it kept me entertained and made Liberty City feel fresh again. Fans of that game will enjoy this and now I look forward to playing through another overlap with The Ballad of Gay Tony.

Grand Theft Auto is Lost and Damned? Hell NO!!

Author: sharkattack1978 from United Kingdom
3 March 2009

Forget GTA4 as Lost and Damned is the game that GTA4 should have been. Better Missions, better characters and even better music tracks too. I had more fun and excitement playing as the member of the biker gang than I had playing Niko in the proper game of GTA4. The story is good and the action is actually quite realistic, more realistic than GTA4. The music is to die for as it has grand bands providing the tunes like Deep Purple and Motley Crue for starters. It really helps you get into "the Zone" and then the concentration on the game becomes more clear and then the fun really begins. Also it incorporates some of the original characters of GTA4 into the new storyline which is a great touch, I think they did that just so the original characters are forgotten. If you wanna ride, I guarantee it will bring out the biker in you.