Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day

If your a fan, you wont be disappointed

Author: Ashley DeSouza from Canada
26 September 2009

I remember when this show started, I wondered what the hell I was watching, But it grew on me. ANd i absolutely fell in love with the characters. The only disappointment about the movie was it is supposed to be the last one. There is no real story line, but its as funny as it gets. I had a blast watching it.

If you not into the Trailer park boys, you should still watch this. ITs a fantastic Way to support Canadian Cinema and honestly, you will laugh you head off! I miss the show and this was awesome. I am sad they wont be back. Lok at the ratings they are getting!

WE WANT MORE TRAILER PARK BOYS!

A ****ed-up way to end the series, in a good way!!

Author: Grissom66 from Canada
18 December 2009

The last time i saw the boys in action, it was November of last year. Ricky, Julian and Bubbles are about to get out of jail, and this time, Julian vows to go straight, even open a legit business. Soon the Boys will all be rich. But when they arrive back at the park, they find it's not the same old Sunnyvale—and it's not the same old Jim Lahey, Trailer Park Supervisor.

Lahey's a new man, hasn't had a drink for two years. And he has plans—BIG PLANS—for Sunnyvale. Too bad for Lahey that Julian stands in his way. Having the Boys back in the park is too much pressure for Lahey to bear. With his big plans for Sunnyvale going down the toilet, and his relationship with Randy broken down, the countdown to liquor day is on for Jim Lahey.

Meanwhile, Julian's having problems of his own. His business fails and the Boys are forced to resort to doing what they know best—breaking the law. Soon Lahey's descent into the liquor coupled with the Boys descent into crime puts them all on a collision course to destruction. Trailer Park Boys: Countdown To Liquor Day 10/10

A dreadful disappointment

Author: deconjay
25 February 2010

Having watched everything that ever had to do with Trailer Park Boys from the indie black and white, to interviews on you-tube, I was fully behind the cast and crew of the Trailer Park Boys saga when this film came out.

With a great and promising lead-in with "Say Goodnight to the Bad Guys" I thought there was no way "Countdown to Liquor Day" could disappoint me. I was wrong.

First and foremost, within the first ten minutes it was clear that everything set in motion in "Goodnight" was complete abandoned, and I can't imagine why. "Goodnight" promised a full blown last stand between the Boys and Lahey, and to bring the Show Case series full circle, it looked like Cyrus would be involved to add to the mayhem and comic carnage. Instead were introduced to something a lot less volatile, and unfortunately, a lot less funny.

Without going into too much detail or spoilers, the most frustrating part about the whole movie are small subplots that on the surface have enormous potential, but then end up being complete abandoned for no reason with no real progression to the story to boot. This boggling story structure could be overlooked it the outcome was some good honest laughs, but that's another place Liquor Day falls short. The laughs are too few and way too far in between. Half way through the second act I found myself forcing laughs because I so wanted this movie to be good. But even mind over matter couldn't save this film for me.

For fans of the saga, the lack of screen-time for supporting characters is as equally frustrating as the story. Admittedly the entire saga revolved round the conflict between the boys and Lahey (and Randy), but the Trailer Park Boys ensemble cast was grown during the entire run of the saga and most of the supporting cast was reduced to under a minute of screen-time.. Brief appearances of Lucy, Sarah, and Trinity go by quickly. A "re-imaged" J-Roc makes the character nearly unlikable. Token background talent shots of Sam, George Green, and Cyrus are insulting to the characters.

Despite what this review may imply, I am a huge Trailer Park Boys fan. Apart from this film, I find the Saga unique, pioneering, and flawless. I guess with hitting so many bull eyes, one piece of the saga was bound to miss. It's just really unfortunate that is was in it's swan song.

The series makes a flawless transition to the big screen

Author: pepe4u22 from Canada
29 September 2009

If you liked the television series you will definitely love the movie...the feeling was like this was an extended version of the show but at the same time the show was always entertaining as the movie was ...the charming and the spirit of the series transcends well to the silver screen...the plot like on the show is not the strength of the movie the banter and interaction of the main characters is the strength..Though i was missing the Lucy character and was of the opinion that the movie was a bit weak at the conclusion..I laughed though frequently and was entertained and when one goes to the movies is not that what we want to be and this movie delivers...Long live the Trailer Park Boys...

See this movie opening day!

Author: agent_85 from Canada
22 September 2009

I was lucky enough to score an advanced screening Monday.

Where the first movie and the seventh season failed, this one did amazing. One of my biggest complaints about the first movie was that they had too much going, with Ricky wanting to get back with Lucy, the Big Dirty, Julian and his new girlfriend, etc. This one stayed to the story and had amazing scenes.

I laughed more than I did at The Hangover, and it was the first movie I've been to where the entire theater laughed. I think it was one of the best things they've filmed. There was a small side plot or two but they in no way took away from the movie and didn't interfere with the main story at all and didn't take much screen time at all (which The Big Dirty definitely did wrong).

It did indeed feel like it was made for fans, but don't expect anything more than a 5 second appearance from Cyrus/Sam/George/Ted. Terry and Dennis and Barb weren't in it at all. I actually feared they would do this, but it was still a lot better than I ever could have expected.

At Least there was no Conky

Author: searchingcirclesend from United States
7 July 2010

Perhaps it is just the nature of the beast. Haven't we all grown accustomed to being disappointed in the last entry to a series (especially a T.V. series, which is what TPB will be remembered as)? It could be that the writers feel extra pressure knowing that they will have their characters immortalized and remembered a certain way once it is over, and in an attempt to make that last impression perfect, they overwhelm the audience with nothing more than caricatures of the characters we once loved. The first ten minutes were probably the best part of the movie, because it leads one to believe that it will be just another great addition to the series. The Big 3 are fresh out of jail and appear to be back to their old ways, but once it was revealed that Julian would be following through with his auto body shop, the movie shifted into neutral and stayed there.

I guess I just have high expectations. As an American, I never saw any of the shows on their original air dates and only caught wind of the series a few years ago when Comedy Central aired The Big Dirty. I would come to watch every episode on google video in about a month's time, and not once did I feel that any of the show's themes had become played out. It took brilliant writing to keep answering the same question over and over, "How many different ways can these guys keep breaking the law and keep pissing off Lahey?" The biggest disappointment for me was the character of J Roc. He was my favorite character on the show, but when dealing with white guys who think they are black (in entertainment and in everyday life), there is a very fine line that makes you love guy for being so ridiculous or hating him for trying to be something he is not. On the show, J Roc was always on the hilarious side of that line, but in Liquor Day he had a new found chip on his shoulder that he never had in the series. At no point did he ever try to clown anybody, it just seemed as if he was always complaining.

Underdevelopment was also an issue. So little was done to develop the subplot of Ricky growing dope on his own that it was hard to care when Lahey ruined everything. The series would spend so much time and involve every step of whatever scheme Ricky and the boys were doing that you really felt for them when everything backfired. In the case of Liquor Day, meh, who cares? The part at the end which finds Lahey atop the bank threatening to jump is the epitome of the caricature point I brought up earlier. He had always been the bumbling trailer park supervisor that was a drunk, but in a comedic way. By the end of the movie one almost feels concern for him as he brings a darker side to how sick he really is (I am in no way saying alcoholism is not a serious matter, but in the series it was always portrayed very lightheartedly).

What was missing was Barb. Barb always had a way of sobering up Lahey just in her presence alone. Lahey would try to be a bad ass to everyone else in the park, but as soon as she showed up it was like she had him by the balls and he was pleading that she wouldn't twist.

A MUST SEE FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS SEEN EVERYTHING ELSE, OTHERWISE, YOU SHOULD PASS!

Hilarious!

Author: ilikegreatmovies from United States
18 February 2010

Wow, I did not have high expectations for the sequel to a movie adaptation of a TV show, but sometimes good writers and hilarious actors come together to make something special. Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day is one of those films that will remain in our DVD collection forever. It's a movie you pull out to watch with friends over and over again because it's so incredibly funny. I've seen it many times and can't get enough of it. I can't for the DVD to be out February 23rd so I can finally own it. Seriously, if you haven't seen this film you're missing out. We all love the Trailer Park Boys (And if you don't start with this movies!) and this is another fine outing for them.

Regrettably, the worst of them all...

Author: blacksun_redux from United States
6 January 2010

Having watched all TPB seasons and previous movies, multiple times, I have to say that Countdown To Liquor Day was a real let down. I think any true fan of TPB would be quick to agree.

I don't know what happened, they took too much time off, someone new was in charge of script writing or direction, but the whole thing was just missing that old school TBP goodness. Scenes felt forced and off timing, as if the actors were trying to regain the previous magic. Many times in TPB history, scenes and gags come and go, and I either am mildly amused or laughing out loud. But in the new movie, scenes and gags would fall flat, almost making me cringe.

*SPOILER in this paragraph...* Another missed mark would be the plot and tone of the film. Where previously the f$%$# up beyond belief situations carried a surrealistic levity. One could laugh it all off because they characters were simply buffoons and hey, it's not real anyway is it. But the scenes falling flat and the whole suicide thing with Mr. Layhy really made the binge drinking and reality of their lives a little too real. This sucked the fun out of things. It was sad to see Jim at such a low state, not funny.

I think the reason it's getting such a good score as of this posting, is due to fan-boys who blindly give it a 10 and newcomers who haven't seen the series and think this is genius, but are missing the point and the truly good stuff from the series.

Oh well, I hate to write this because I love TPB and the creators of TPB and don't wish them ill, but, I just have to speak my mind. And, I think, time will tell on this one. Sorry guys!! Don't try so hard! Bring it back to the dirty roots! Get drunk!

That's trailer park life!

Author: The-Green-Fuz from Canada
27 April 2010

I'll keep this review pretty informal. I just want to let fellow 'TPB' fans know that this movie is yet another great addition to the series.

Trailer Park Boys is easily in my top three shows ever made so naturally, I was really looking forward to this film. Thankfully, 'Countdown to Liquor Day' did not let me down!

To be completely honest, I wasn't too sure how I felt about this movie when I first saw it. As you'll find out, there are some changes made to Sunnyvale, and once again, Cory and Trevor were absent. It seems they'll never be back, but at least this movie didn't continue focus on Jacob and the twiggy alien Trevor's. They were good characters, but they just didn't compare to Cory and the Trevster. Anyways, after watching the movie a few more times, everything started to sink in and I began to spot all the hilarious little details that are always included in the series. This movie has just about everything I wanted in a new 'TPB' movie and because of that, I couldn't be happier. Number one, this movie feels like one long episode with some extra budget and craziness thrown in, and number two or three or whatever number we're on, Ricky hits us with some amazing new Rickyisms. Randy, Lahey, and the boys are in top form here as usual and it makes for an excellent film!

I really liked 'The Big Dirty', so with 'Countdown..', I was hoping that worst case in Ontario, it would be at least as good as the former. I feel it definitely surpassed 'TBD' and that's all I could ever ask for.

Countdown to the Next Film.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
6 November 2015

The Trailer Park Boys: Countdown to Liquor Day (2009): Dir: Mike Clattenburg / Cast: Robb Wells, John Paul Tremblay, Mike Smith, John Dunsworth, Pat Roach: Very funny followup to the 2006 Canadian hit. It opens with Ricky, Julian and Bubbles being released from prison but their hopes of going straight are sabotaged when their homes are threatened. Starts out well but structure halts during sentimental scenes but director Mike Clattenburg still delivers on the dope humour and crazy antics. Robb Wells plays Ricky who reacts without thinking, which leads to hot headed decisions and the most hilarious robbery ever caught on camera. John Paul Tremblay plays Julian who wishes to start an auto shop. He is the object of desire of the trailer park owner who wishes to demolish their homes. Mike Smith plays Bubbles who wishes to save his cats. This leads to hinted romance, which Bubbles doesn't pick up on. John Dunsworth is a steal in his drunken state. He narrates the film stating his scheme and how everything came apart when the boys left prison. He is involved in a most bizarre car chase scene where he and Ricky aim their penises out their car windows for a high speed clash that has to be seen to be believed. Finally, Pat Roach again plays shirtless slob Randy who hangs out with Dunsworth sharing the insults. The result is pointless and chaotic fun. Score: 6 / 10