IMDb > Rock of Ages (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Rock of Ages

Rock of Ages More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It's fun Summer Fare, Enjoy !

Author: Broadway1697 from Virginia Beach, Virginia
19 June 2012

I saw the Broadway play with the original cast and had a great time. The movie didn't disappoint me either. A cheesy love story tied together with great music from the hair band 80's was on purpose. Re-living that era, priceless. Go. Enjoy. This will definitely become a cult favorite in future years, bless 'em for preserving some amazing rock history. Ignore the professional critics, go have fun!

This is my first review attempt on IMDb, with hopes this helps those who are turned off by People, EW, local and national news professional (aka, paid) reviewers. I'm a pop culture junkie and a grandma, I don't always agree with the pros. I'm sorry Rock of Ages had a poor box office start out of the gate, but hopefully my little review piece will bring some fun to those clinging to their entertainment dollars. Great party experience!

People need to stop bashing this movie; it was a lot of fun.

Author: lschouder-329-467894 from United States
19 June 2012

So I realize there plenty of cynical people out there that think enjoying a fun musical isn't as cool as bashing it. If you listen to these people, then pretty much everything "sucks" or is an "epic fail". I don't think this movie is being given a fair shot. First off, Tom Cruise gave a great performance and, believe it or not, sings rather well. The plot was slightly predictable but, nevertheless, the movie was fun and energetic. If I had to give any criticism, it would be that Mary J. Blige was underused and Alec Baldwin delivered a couple of bad lines. All in all, it was a very entertaining movie. I realize people like to get on the net and complain and say how stupid everything and everyone is, but don't let that sad, grumpy mind-set keep you from seeing this movie. The song performances alone are worth the price of admission.

If you like the 80's big-hair era, ignore the negative reviews!

Author: rgweaverman from United States
19 June 2012

My wife and I were both in high school during the 1980's and we loved this movie. So the story isn't Academy Award material, but it was the most fun we have had at the movies in a while. The 80's music is not the original work, but still performed well and placed great in the movie. Tom Cruise is a hoot in his role (think Axl Rose) and the others weren't bad either. Small cameos by some 80's rock stars. I have seem some references to its similarity to Grease and its portrayal of the 1950's. I think that is a pretty good comparison. Again, if you are not a fan of the 80's, you probably won't like this too much. But, if you like the 80's and its music, you will probably enjoy this movie and leave with a smile.

I'm 60, I want to have some fun, and this movie was fun

Author: joycebaker-401-57878 from Columbus, Ohio
19 June 2012

I'm 60, I want to have some fun, and this movie was fun. It put me right in the Bourbon Room audience, blithely wearing the tasteless and bizarre outfits that I couldn't wear because I was setting a standard of decorum for my kids in those days, and embarrassing them was anathema. It features a period of Rock (1987) when the genre was flanked by inane crap "music" aimed at the 13-16 year olds I was raising. Fortunately they didn't bite. This movie features the memorable music of the decade that my grandson is now still honoring. This music and that of the late 60's and early 70's helped me as a beleaguered working mom "Rock" through a day of commutes, housework, and culture shock. I don't "get " the focus on plot and antics that some of the more "serious" reviewers are stroking themselves with. I paid $8.00 and didn't fancy myself being at a rock concert or a stage play, but I got all of that feel and more. I would have paid $30 just to see Baldwin grunged, and desperate but hopeful. Cruise's character looked shaky at first. But as usual, in trademark style, he starts off blasé and then explodes into passion and surprise. Paul Giamatti and Zeta-Jones were fun to despise in their hypocrisy. Hough and Boneta were fresh, talented and beautiful. Mary J. Blige (Justice Charlier) was superb, and although I never "got" Russell Brand before, he was the most fun of all. Leave your pretense at home. PLOT!? Yada Yada. If you are pushin' or draggin' 60, go pig out on some Italian and party with "Rock of Ages".

Brilliant, finally a musical worth watching

Author: springstone from Dubai, UAE
9 November 2012

I feel compelled to submit a review for this movie, purely because some of the atrocious reviews I've seen contributed by others.

To give context, I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and pretty much know all the songs backwards - surprisingly... decades later. I did not grow up in LA, or the States for that matter, but I most certainly grew up with just about every song played in this movie.

I absolutely hate musicals. With a passion. So, even though my friends encouraged me to watch this movie, I resisted. Eventually I caved, and all I can say is that I absolutely loved the movie! My wife loved the movie, but in all honesty, our 10 year old thought it was OK - purely because she didn't know any of the songs.

If you love rock, and grew up with 80s rock, this movie is for you. This movie isn't called Rap of Ages or Pop of Ages or R&B of Ages or Classical Music for the Ages... it's called Rock of Ages. Reviewers posting they walked out after 15 minutes, really shouldn't contribute here. And quite frankly, you need to have a serious problem if you are analyzing the actors voices with respect to the original artists. This movie is good fun, and true to the times...

This movie is THE musical for all rockers out there! Absolutely wonderful fun for the family, with a stellar performance from the entire cast. A good couple of chuckles in there, and if you're over 35 years old... I dare you to not sing along with some of those classics. With so much rubbish coming out of Hollywood to keep the nay-sayers busy with their critical reviews, this is a refreshing change.

If rock is not your choice of music, skip this movie... but if you grew up in the 80s, you should appreciate the music, fun and experience portrayed in this movie.

This movie rocked!

The audience was laughing...not in a good way

Author: MissYumYumCoCo from United States
15 June 2012

Where to start? It's a musical. Now some musicals have music where and when it makes sense. This is not such a movie. I knew I was in trouble when the opening scene depicted a greyhound bus of people joining the cute girl in song, one by one. I told myself to give it some time...wish I'd jumped ship and gone to see something else right then.

It's a satire, but it's such a bad one that I didn't realize it was a satire until about three quarters of the way through. It's simply horrible. There are numerous anachronisms that I won't spoil because you are going to need them for distraction purposes. If I looked at my watch once, I looked a half a dozen times, praying for it to be over.

The plot is totally predictable, the characters contrived (satire, remember? But if you don't know that from the get go, they are just obnoxious.) I thought I'd enjoy the costuming, but I saw stuff that was no more eighties than I'm a cow on roller skates.

The music was good...hard to screw up that, but frankly you'd do better to go to iTunes and buy what you like. The segues into different pieces of music were so forced that it was painful. Julianne Hough needs to stick to dancing. Catherine Zeta Jones' first number with pelvic thrusting church ladies was just bizarre and wrong...yes, yes, I know it was a nod to Michael Jackson choreography, but it simply didn't work.

There were two positive elements to the movie: Tom Cruise can actually sing, and Diego Boneta is easy on the eyes. This did not make up for pathetic acting, numerous inaccuracies regarding behavior, dress, and even expressions attributed to the eighties, and a contrived sub plot regarding groupies who turn conservative in their "old" age.

Save your money.

Waste of my money

Author: tristan-803-574772 from United Kingdom
13 July 2012

I took my wife to see this film for her birthday. The only reason I stayed was for my wife. Had an absolute awful time and film was dreadful!! Straight at the beginning when an entire bus started singing was just wrong. Continuing with a predictable story line and cheesiness... And also the boy band is just misplaced. Russell Brand and Alec Baldwin started singing together in a hairbrush.. The gay scene at the end was the last straw. I probably wouldn't even rent or download the movie. Can only advise not to see this movie I'm afraid. Sorry for the few who do seem to like the film. Thumbs down for me for this film!

Was not quite the Rock of Ages, but close

Author: Josh Broudy from United States
2 May 2012

*There are no real spoilers in this review, just some minor plot details.

I had the privilege of being able to see this at an advance screening a couple of months ago. Just to let you know, I have never seen the Broadway show, so I can't compare the two.

On one hand, Tom Cruise stole the show as he always does. He plays the role of aging rocker Stacee Jaxx, tasked with saving the Bourbon Room from the villainous Patricia Whitmore's (Zeta-Jones) wrath. He has a killer voice, and he shared some great chemistry with journalist Constance Sack (Malin Akerman). I think everybody is going to love those two together.

On the other hand, the two lovebirds Sherrie Christian (Julianne Hough) and Drew Boley (Diego Boneta) just did not bring a lot of chemistry. And their acting ability is so far inferior to the likes of the Cruises, Baldwins, and the Giamattis of the world. And when they are the leads, it kind of brings down the movie a little bit. The singing was great, but isn't that the standard for musicals? I would've preferred Brittany Snow be cast alongside the original Drew Constantine Maroulis. Even though I have not seen the original play live, I've seen numerous of his performances either live or on the computer.

Another critique I have is that the whole thing is a little too much. This film felt a little busy to me. I almost wish someone would have told Adam Shankman to tone it down a little because it fizzled a little towards the end.

The musical numbers in were just incredible. As someone in the younger generation, I don't believe I could appreciate the the 80s music as much as the people born in the later 1950s, 1960s, and early 1970s. But, make no mistake, every single number was executed pretty well. I happened to like the performances more than Shankman's previous musical, Hairspray.

It was legitimately funny. Even if you don't like Tom Cruise personally, he kills it in every movie he's in. His scenes are the best. I was also impressed by the performances of Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, and Paul Giamatti. Even singer Mary J. Blige got involved.

This is a movie that is some big time fun. It's not for everybody, as the person sitting next to me reminded me of. But if you liked Shankman's Hairspray, then you'll probably have a place for this one in your heart too.

Kudos to Adam Shankman and Chris D'Arenzio (creater) for achieving what they wanted to accomplish.

Dire miscasting

Author: snodlander from United Kingdom
18 June 2012

There's not a lot to say that's good about this movie. I understand it's a spoof, but spoofs should be funny, and I didn't laugh at all in this waste of two hours of my life.

I had problems with the casting. Alec Baldwin is totally miscast as the aging rock and roller owner of a nightclub. Every time he came into shot I was mesmerised by his shoulder-length wig. He seemed to be the sort that would kick back to some gentle jazz or Sinatra rather than heavy metal.

Tom Cruise as a younger Iggy Pop style drunk, drugged, spaced-out sex god just didn't work. He obviously had fun in the role, but sadly I didn't.

Brand's phony Scouse accent added nothing to his part, and the gay revelation between Baldwin and Brand was simply excruciating.

The love interest, two young idealistic rock and rollers made Sandy & Danny from Grease look carbolic. They were too clean. When she became a stripper, it was simply unbelievable.

But the biggest gripe I had was with the music. The fans devil-horned, dressed in leather, and partied like Satan worshippers. The band posters looked like an explosion between def leppard and kiss. So what sort of Rock and Roll songs did they belt out? I want to know what love is. Really? A fine ballad, but the sort of Rock and Roll that would cause churches to protest outside? Please. It made me embarrassed to be part of the generation that first bought those albums.

Not Gonna Take it Anymore

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
17 June 2012

Greetings again from the darkness. A few upfront disclosures are in order: I spent quite a few evenings on the Sunset Strip during the era of this story; I had no idea who Diego Boneta was and only vague name recognition of Julianne Hough when I walked in; and I never saw the hit Broadway production. These points may help explain my reaction to the movie.

The opening sequence immediately informs us that we are in for something different. Aspiring singer Sherrie Christian (Ms. Hough) is running from her backwoods Oklahoma life to the bright lights of fame offered by Hollywood. While on the bus, we get the first of an endless stream of staged karaoke routines ... "Sister Christian" (get it??). Once on Sunset Boulevard, she is quickly mugged and then comforted by Drew (Mr. Boneta), an aspiring singer and current barhop at The Bourbon, an obvious nod to such hallowed rock ground as Whisky A Go Go and Roxy.

No need to spend much time discussing plot. There is a muddled love story filled with teenager dreams and miscommunication, and a financial crisis at The Bourbon, thanks to back taxes owed by manager Dennis Dupree (Alec Baldwin), and a political backlash against the club thanks to the Mayor's wife (Catherine Zeta-Jones), who has a not so secret need for revenge. The only way to save the club is for rock idol Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise) to play a gig. The only way to save the love story is to write it out of the film all together. The political agenda is simply an excuse to add two more excruciating karaoke numbers.

What little fun there is in the movie is thanks to Cruise, Baldwin and Russell Brand, who plays Baldin's sidekick and confidant. Cruise jumps into the Jaxx role with both feet and seems to understand that a parody should be fun. Being a rock idol isn't far removed from being the biggest movie star on the planet, so Cruise blends Axl Rose and Bret Michaels to create Jaxx ... throw in a pet baboon, two He-men bodyguards, an endless train of groupies, and a dragon codpiece ... and you get Stacee Jaxx, legendary rock star.

If one is going to make a rock 'n roll movie, it either needs to be played straight (Almost Famous) or as a head-on parody (This is Spinal Tap). What it can't do is celebrate the dead zone of lameness: lame music covered by lame singers playing lame characters. No amount of star power actors can overcome material that doesn't capture the power and passion of the music. And we aren't even talking real rock n roll here ... this is glam rock, stadium rock, big hair bands. Yet, the movie still falls incredibly short of making a statement or providing insight or even entertainment.

Cruise's performance generates some laughs, as do Baldwin and Brand. However, Hough and Boneta aren't even cringe-worthy. They have no screen presence and neither belong in a rock movie. Maybe the real problem is that most of the songs in the movie have survived these 25 years because of their mediocrity ... they can easily be sung while intoxicated. Evidently that's not enough for a decent movie.

Page 1 of 34:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]