IMDb > The Revenant (2009/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Revenant

The Revenant More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

THE REVENANT caught everyone by surprise!

Author: eduroca from barcelona, spain
11 October 2009

I am still blown away. Imagine the scene: Sitges Fantastic Film Festival in Spain. Last weekend, with the Zombie Night Marathon, already a festival classic. And the first movie of the night is "The Revennt". Nobody knows what it's about. Nobody knows a damn thing about it and the festival director introduces it as a long movie. OK, whatever, we'll sit through it...

BAM! In these marathons people normally cheer, applaud, shout and whatnot. I never saw it done more than with this film. We were all laughing our guts out every five minutes with every new situation and scene. Damn, what a movie. Talk about having fun in a movie theatre.

The two main actors were superb, the storyline coherent, the situations hilarious and what's even bettr: at some points it has some sadness tones to it which makes it even a deeper, richer movie. Just on ething: it was featured in the Zombie Night in the festival, but it is not a zombie movie in the classic sense of the word. Like a reviewer said before me, think the "Deathdream" kind of zombie.

I can only thank the director/writer for making this one. This has to become a cult classic, it has all the elements of dark humor (and the gore, too) that all the genre lovers like. GREAT MOVIE!

Best indie horror I've seen in years

Author: the_bulb from Toronto, Canada
17 August 2009

Last night I watched The Revenant at the Toronto After Dark Film Festival, and it was clear the film took everyone by surprise. Going into the screening armed only with what I saw in the trailer, I wasn't looking forward to much; I feel that I should make it clear to anyone interested in seeing this film - the trailer for The Revenant represents the film in only the most superficial way. Yes, it is a buddy movie; yes, one of the buddies is undead; and yes, there is sarcastic dialogue and gun-play - but those just building blocks to what is, as a whole, a fantastic and sincere film which doesn't let itself get stuck in a box. What impressed me most about The Revenant was it never felt like it was trying to be cool. It was never trying to imitate, or appeal to a specific market. Granted, it does deal with supernatural elements; even so I would strain to call it specifically a horror film. The characters acted honestly and with a sense of realism that is too often neglected in the genre as of late. I enjoyed watching them make decisions and think for themselves - these were real characters, and real friends. The director was introduced as a special effects artists, who has worked on such films as The Abyss, Bubba Ho-Tep, and the Phantasm series - which is both impressive and unfortunate. Watching The Revenant, he's definitely not just a special effects artist taking a stab at directing; this is a film handled was great confidence and ability, marking a start to what will hopefully be a prosperous career. It would be a great shame if The Revenant just winds up playing the festival circuit and falling into obscurity. Someone needs to pick this thing up, it's gold.

undiscovered gem

Author: rob o'cop from japan
15 December 2011

while we get bombarded with plenty of low budget junk it seems we can still miss something with real genius in it. This is one of the missed ones it seems. Well acted, well scripted, keeps the story moving, and gives us a new and interesting take on a tired genre. The special effects were also top notch and although you were aware this was a movie done on a tight low budget when the fx kicked in they went above and beyond the call. Top notch stuff. I also really liked the tone the lead actor got. A perfect balance and he delivered some really touching moments. So why didn't we get to see this movie in wider release. Studio politics? Who knows. Very worth the effort to track this one down and tell your friends. This is the sort of indie film making we need to encourage and support.

Best movie you may never see! Lets change that!

Author: zebular from United States
15 February 2012

Alright just to let it be known I'm not a frequent poster on IMDb BUT I absolutely had to exclaim how good this film is. I would def say its Boondock Saints with zombie like protagonists but its much more than that. Its got humor, gore, the ending is AMAZING and when a guy's living head is laying there trying to talk they have the most imaginative way of being able to understand what he's trying to say (my favorite part of the movie and you'll agree when you watch this!). If you've been gnawing at the bit to see this movie I can tell you you can find it on the net but for the love of god if you CAN buy it DO IT! Films like this really need your support! My rating for this movie is 9/10 The only reason I knocked it down a point is because of one of the actress' acting or lack there of. Shes a friend of the main characters and her acting skills are pretty horrific everyone else in the film are pretty convincing.

WATCH IT, BUY IT, RECOMMEND IT, POST IT, LINK IT, LIVE IT, BREATHE IT AND FOR GOD SAKES AT LEAST GIVE IT A CHANCE!

Destined to become a huge cult classic

Author: markhaazen from Netherlands
21 February 2012

It's an excellent film, funny, inventive, sad, happy, crazy, bloody, violent, tragic and personal. It was strong through beginning, middle and end and I laughed a lot, especially at the end. It is an excellent zombie film.

The acting is very good. The effects are excellent. This is a director who worked as a special and visual effects guy on a lot of major sci fi films (I looked on IMDb and he worked on The Abyss, Lost Boys, Bubba Ho Tep, etc etc etc etcs and he clearly knows what he is doing. This film looks great, the effects are great and a lot of fun.

This film is a MUST for any zombie fan. Also for any fan of buddy horror comedy films like Tucker and Dale vs Evil.

I just wish there were more films like this around. I hope the director makes some more films soon. His last film before the Revenant was in 1996! Despite winning a lot of awards at various festivals (check out the wiki page for the impressive full list), The Revenant was frustratingly not given a proper release for far too long.

It deserves to become a cult classic !!!!!

Deserves To Be A Huge Cult Classic

Author: badlydrawnhamster from United Kingdom
11 December 2011

It deserves to become a cult classic (in the best sense of the phrase) though as it's a very intelligently written new take on the zombie genre, something with a lot of genuinely fascinating ideas which are explored beautifully. Ultimately a horror film with a comedic edge, it has a lot of fun with it's concept, whilst still managing to pull off some truly horrible scenes. Yet it's also got a very strong emotional core, and certain moments are surprisingly tender and touching.

I won't say much more as part of the fun is seeing how the film develops, but ultimately I loved this and would really recommend it to any film fan - and not just those in to horror films.

Great Movie

Author: Kim Price from United States
17 May 2009

I just saw a rough cut tonight and this is an excellent film and will definitely become a cult classic.

It is very funny, with an interesting story and good acting. I loved it!

This is kind of a "buddy" vampire movie and there is some great interaction between the two main "buddy" characters.

There is a lot of humor, which makes this a very fun film, but there is plenty of blood and guts too.

This film is an interesting (and very realistic) take on the Vampire's viewpoint.

This is a film that deserves more credit than it gets

Author: paulholborn from United Kingdom
28 December 2012

My son found this film & recommended that I watch, having been a fan of David Anders from Heros as Adam Monroe & being a fan of the Zombie genre I had high hopes.

I wasn't let down, this film was brilliantly entertaining & the ending totally unexpected! Anders & Wylde work brilliantly together & D. Kerry Prior's script is a great new take on the zombie genre which other film makers should take note of. This film is up there with Shaun Of The Dead, The Vagrant & a host of other films, most of which never get the credit they deserve.

A true future classic

I have not been this excited about a movie in a long time

Author: nzalewski from United States
28 September 2012

I know there are a lot of us out there that claim overall movie fandom and to me, it's not measured by how many movies you own or how many you've seen. In most cases, it's what a movie invokes after you watch it. After seeing the trailer and being overly anxious, I finally watched "The Revenant" and to say it blew my mind would be an understatement. To pigeon hole it as just a horror/comedy doesn't really do it justice either. D. Kerry Prior has taken a great concept and through the superb storytelling and visual aesthetics has brought this terrific movie full circle. The end really justifies all that the characters would be put through. You really buy into actors Chris Wylde and David Anders as friends and the conversations feel very real. I have been telling everyone I know about this movie because I think it is one that can be enjoyed across genres and needs to be seen.

Loads of fun for the whole family!

Author: LavaHound_76 from Toronto, Canada
22 August 2009

Take Michael Mann's DV visual style from Collateral, sprinkle in some Tarantino-esquire dialogue, gently borrow the premise from Deathdream. And voilà! You've got The Revenant! Oddly enough, with all these comparisons one would believe the movie was a spoof of sorts, a giant rip-off machine perhaps. On the contrary, it stands very nicely on its own with head held high.

A horror action comedy zombie vampire buddy popcorn flick with a bit of romance tossed in for kicks. Here comes the kitchen sink too, look out! No, it's not one of those films that 'doesn't know what it wants to be.' It knows exactly what it is and boy does it ever deliver the goods! First and foremost, it is FUNNY! Even amidst some serious subject matter it manages to pull the humor out of the abyss. Dark comedy at its finest, folks! Astounding special effects and camera work especially considering it is an independent film. The acting is top notch, no slacker actors collecting a pay check here.

My only gripe: shorten a few scenes, make it more compact.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]