IMDb > "Baccano!" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Baccano!"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Baccano!" More at IMDbPro »

A whole lot of commotion

Author: enkephalin07 from United States
3 November 2009

The first time I saw the title sequence cured me of all hype aversion I had for this, and I was hooked on the series. Watching and hearing the opening credits still never gets old for me.

It's hard to describe without spoilers, so I'll be brief. Unforgettable characters. Brilliant dialog. Gripping action scenes. Intelligent premises, with a little bit of the fantastic but not enough to feel inauthentic in the 30's prohibition underworld setting.

At first it's difficult to follow because of the anachronistic order and sheer loads of characters, but as you get used to the pacing and familiar with the faces, the pieces begin to fit together. The storytelling is genius, and the reveals are a lot more rewarding exposed in this way than if time were shown sequentially.

English dub: I just finished watching this, and it's a fair localization that kept to the spirit of the original, and included more appropriate accents. It's somewhat lacking in that Isaac and Miria, two of the more watchable characters, just aren't as funny, though the actors are decent they don't have the same chemistry as the original Japanese.

One of the greatest. A true must-watch

Author: bretboonnofan from United States
13 June 2013

I've just concluded watching this anime for the third time, and I have to say you are doing yourself a disservice by not watching it.

I was terribly shocked by its score on IMDb. 7.9? Blasphemy. There are only two logical reasons for anyone to not like this show. 1. they are appalled by blood. 2. they are not willing to think.

The plot of this show requires you to use your head and give your undivided attention. But this is a strength of the show. It will completely immerse you and is totally filler free. Three times through, and not a second of this show bores me. Three story lines are expertly weaved together with pacing that reveals everything at just the right time.

The characters are amazingly fun to watch bounce of each other. Insane people are set up, and the pay-off is amazing when they meet up.

The animation makes this even better. The show is the perfect length, so the budget is spread out to where everything is fluid and all the characters expressions are captured excellently.

The music is the exact same way, and the opening is the best I've ever seen, ever.

The voice acting is superb. Funimation's best dub to date. It captures the time excellently and every actor/actress is giving there all.

It's a show near perfection. The one flaw it has is some of the confusion there might be on first watching. But in the end everything is rapped up and is fully satisfying. Which is why I would give it a 9.7. I've seen 30 anime and this is number two, only being topped by Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I've also watched many respected youtube reviewers such as GRArkada, Gigguk, and JesuOtaku. Every single one either gave the show a perfect 10 or a strong 9. It's not just for anime fans. I showed this to my 40 year old parents (never seen anime) and they loved it. Do yourself a favor, go out and buy Baccano right now. Not afraid of blood or focus? Then you will have a hell of a time.

Great series with plenty of fun and action set in '30s America

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
5 July 2010

When I started watching this series I didn't know much about it but as it could be watched legally on Funimation's YouTube channel I thought I'd give it a go; I'm glad I did as it is one of the best anime series that I've seen. It is only sixteen episodes long but there isn't a moment wasted as it is jam packed with story and a large cast of memorable characters. When the cast it is first introduced in the opening credits it seems that it will be impossible to remember who is who but as they are such great characters it isn't so difficult. The great names also help; who could forget characters with names like Jacuzzi Splot, Czeslaw Meyer and Szilard Quates. The characters are a mix of immortals, gangsters and psychopaths living in 1930's America. Over the course of the series we learn how they became immortal, how they get to know each other and most importantly what happened aboard the 'Flying Pussyfoot' a transcontinental express bound for New York on board which most of the cast meet and many people die in unpleasant circumstances. Much of the series take place on the train but we also see frequent flash forwards of what happened before and what happens later, amazingly this does not lead to confusion.

The series was a lot of fun but also included violent scenes which would make it unsuitable for younger viewers; the actions of 'Rail Tracer' might give them nightmares, they made me cringe and its a long time since I was a child. The animation looks fantastic, the slight sepia tint giving it a period look and distinctive characters made it a joy to watch, it also had a great musical score to accompany it.

These comments are made based on watching the series in Japanese with English subtitles although I did see one of the episodes in English and thought the dub was pretty good.

Different Lives, Different Destinations, Endless Stories

Author: hellraiser7 from United States
20 December 2011

The people we pass by everyday all have stories, it's always the choices people make that either make the stories or even throw themselves into intentionally or unintentionally, design by fate or chance by choice, either way makes each characters story more broader because other people with stories intersect and connect. This is a principle in the mysterious art of storytelling but also life itself.

This is one of my personal favorite animes, I can't say too much about this anime since discovering things for yourself is actually one of the best things about this show. This show has so much going for it it truly will require more than one watch because it's just one of those stories where you uncover more as you revisit it making it long lasting. The animation is great the background animation is probably the most impressive to me cause it both captures decades long gone but also it's not static it's actually lively.

The story telling format is similar to films like "Pulp Fiction", "Watchman" and "Memento", which tell their stories in a non-linear format. I always loved this format in storytelling because it adds a great amount of intrigue and depth to both story and characters and makes you constantly wanting more info about their lives. There are lots of characters in this show it's confusing at first but if you stick with this show for a while you'll know who is who, how their connected and actually care about them. My favorites are Isaac and Mira whom are both eccentric airheads but their hearts are always in the right place and they do take actions that do have fruitful results.

The show is literally a puzzle another reason why it requires more than one watch. By it's nature the story is really simple it just doesn't seem that way due to it's jumbled arrangement and the fact there is so much happening and information, just when you think you have it all figured out think again because there is another twist that can throw you perception off balance. It's also beautiful mix of genres,there is alchemy, action, romance, gangster crime, noir, martial arts, slasher horror, comedy, fantasy, it's an exhausting mix but it all blends in perfectly like throwing in different fruits to make a tasty fruit punch.

As an old saying goes, "Everything happens for a reason." Rating: 4 stars

Best Anime I have seen (and I have seen a lot.. trust me)... spoiler free review

Author: TheNeel from India
9 May 2014

1. First Thing first - "best editing in any anime series ever." Perfect pace.. not to slow,, a bit fast, but you wont be totally clueless Grabs your interest thought out the entire 16 episodes..

2. Good Story "represented in the most amazing way". Actual plot is not the best thing but still awesome. You have to watch the entire series to get a complete understanding and after completing you will relish it even more and might get a complete new understanding to the story. **Brilliant Inner Meaning**

3. "Great Character Depth." Every character is special, different and grabs your attention (there are a lot of characters.. a lot)

4. I love the music.. opening track is energetic ,, ending is melancholic Background music build up at the perfect scenes.

5. Animation is old school,, Brilliant

|| Now, when I say the best anime its not mind blowing story/ thriller/ mystery/ science fiction / like Death Note/ Code Geass/ Samurai Champloo/ Steins Gate/ like super popular's like OP/ Naruto... but the overall experience is unlike any other (Guaranteed) ||

**Be warned.. lot of violence Watch yourself and recommend to others**

Excellent Watch

Author: Mayank Agarwal from India
9 July 2013

Its a Great watch for such a short series having only 16 episodes. Has its share of suspense,action and laughter

The first two episodes were a task to watch as you didn't know whats happening with the overload of characters,the many time jumps and the confusing story.

By the time the third episode ended, i was hooked. The sheer brilliance of the story line became clear. You will fall in love with the characters who are all unique. This animation is unique in having no central character. Each have there own story to tell and all of them are intriguing.

Each episode leaves you with wanting to know what will happen next.The music is also great.

Sad it ended so soon, do want to have more of these guys

A unique and fantastic adventure!

Author: edgedgedge from United States
3 January 2013

there are many areas in which this anime deserves a 10/10. it has many, many characters that, although initially seem to overload you with information, will each form a connection with you by the time the 16 episodes are up. this anime spares nothing when it comes to showing bloody fights and the like. however, it is used tastefully and is not to be confused with shows that have nothing but unchoreographed fight scenes, using chopped limbs and blood only to satisfy those who get off on that type of thing. "baccano!" takes a while to grow but if you stick it out till the end you will be very glad you did, for anyone who watches the entire series will be left with a longing for more anime like this one. i give this anime a 10/10 not because i have some connection with it or die hard obsession with it. i give it that because that is the rating anyone who watches it should give it, simply because it is closer to a 10 than it is to a 9.

"Baccano!" is close to being a one of a kind masterpiece. the only reason it does not achieve that title is do to "Durarara!", another great anime by the same production company, Brain Base, which i highly recommend seeing. "baccano!" consists of 13 episodes with 3 extra episodes that were released with the DVD.

A lovely show!

Author: mechachan15 from United States
8 March 2009

I first watched this one on the funimation website. They were having this special thing where you could watch the first episode online for free! (was in Japanese tho', which was peculiar instead of the dub:0) Aaaaanyway, this show is addictive and quite enjoyable. I could tell you about THE main character..but there are MANY main characters. The show keeps hopping along from character to character, describing certain events from different perspectives(did that make any sense??). This series is rather confusing so far, but I'm hoping it'll make more sense once I watch more of it. I've only seen the first four eps. The series is set in the 1930s in the U.S., which is pretty different for those used to watching anime where the setting is almost always Japan. There's some slang from the 1930s too, weird to get used to(plus some characters have accents). The dub is exceptional btw. Japanese is pretty good as well. Recommend either one.

So far, I give this show a 9/10. The music is great(the theme is pretty much intrumental 1930s music.), the animation is great(much like the style from Blood Plus),the voice acting is very spot-on, and the story is great. This is a great show,but should be noted it is rated M for mature, so maybe not such a great idea to let your little 5 year old watch it..they might be a little traumatized from the blood in some scenes. So far, there hasn't been that much blood tho', so don't let that stop you from watching the show:) Hope you watch! The first DVD is out now and more are on the way^^

One of the Best

Author: sarahm-21121 from United States
26 May 2015

Now, I am a die-hard fan of the popular anime, such as Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Fairy Tail, Attack on Titan, One Piece, etc. However, this is by far my favorite anime of all time. Consisting of only 16 episodes, that's all this shows needs. It accomplishes in such a short time what other shows often need hundreds of episodes to complete. The storyline is so intriguing and perfectly done that I can't even imagine anything being changed. You would think with such a short time, that you would have under developed characters and a flat storyline, right? WRONG! All of the characters are developed to their fullest, growing attachment to even those that are ruthless killers (*cough* Ladd Russo *cough*). The story is told out of order, but this just makes it even more interesting as the more you watch, the more pieces fall into place in the carefully interwoven plot. The musical score is amazing, the dub is fantastically casted, matching (and maybe even surpassing) the skill of the sub, it's full of everything you could ever want. Thieves, immortals, alchemists, mafia, dark humor, light humor, gore (gallons of it), and so much more. Give this show a shot. It is too underrated, and it deserves so much more attention for the amazing job that was done. No matter what you're a fan of, you can find it in this show.

Miria my dear, this is Fabulous!

Author: ThatMOVIENut from United Kingdom
19 March 2015

A multi-strand tale of mobsters and alchemy, 'Baccano' is the 16 episode story of a colourful cast of characters on the other side of the law (including hit men, gangsters, socialites, robbers and well, an alchemist or two) whose lives change over the course of three years (1931-1933) as they deal with the likes of a turf war, gangland murders, an elaborate train heist and the convergence of 'immortals' seeking the means to produce an elixir of eternal life. And that's just a quick skim! A fun and distinct period romp, 'Baccano' is told in a manner akin to 'Rashomon': jumping between different characters and times and seeing their effects on the story, and given our diverse cast, this equals a lot of possibilities. The train is the main anchoring point, and where most of the story takes place, but we cut back to prior years to help inform characters, as well as the bigger narrative of the show, which deals with immortals, alchemy and their ongoing battle. Despite all this though, the show is for the most part a drama with comedic elements (mainly in the form of cosplaying thieves Issac and Miria), and not a big whizzbang fantasy or action show. In fact, this would make a great beginner's anime, given how restrained it actually is and not using a lot of the 'eccentricities' that the form has become notorious for. If the West produced mature dramatic animated series, this is how I imagine it would look.

Animation is solid, sleek and dynamic without being hyperactive, the voice work is good despite some accents, and the 30s setting allows for some really neat recreations of the contradiction that was 30s America: really gorgeous skyscrapers and trains versus very dingy warehouses, dark speakeasys and slummy neighbourhoods. The large group of characters are also by and large rather likable and fun, even if they are slightly stock mafia archetypes, with special note going to the aforementioned Issac and Miria. They are such wonderfully charismatic and energetic goofballs yet not so much so they clash with the darker elements.

As far as complaints, I really can't offer much, except that having a big cast does mean some of them, as well as certain plot threads, are not fully tied up by the end, yet their introductions make them feel more important than they actually turn out to be. Plus, the returning immortals angle is not explored as much as you would think, with really only one episode being the focus and then a quick cap off at the end. I wish they did delve a little more into their lives and what the effects of living so long do to different people. However, the rest of the show is so engaging that it didn't become too big an issue.

In the end, 'Bacanno' was a neat little surprise. It's not 'FullMetal Godfather' as one may be lead to think at first, but it's an exciting and often lively romp through the unlikely blend of mob and magic. Not sure about anime because of all the fanservice, kawaii and ADD action? Give this a shot ya mug.