IMDb > "Baccano!" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Baccano!" More at IMDbPro »

A whole lot of commotion

Author: enkephalin07 from United States
3 November 2009

The first time I saw the title sequence cured me of all hype aversion I had for this, and I was hooked on the series. Watching and hearing the opening credits still never gets old for me.

It's hard to describe without spoilers, so I'll be brief. Unforgettable characters. Brilliant dialog. Gripping action scenes. Intelligent premises, with a little bit of the fantastic but not enough to feel inauthentic in the 30's prohibition underworld setting.

At first it's difficult to follow because of the anachronistic order and sheer loads of characters, but as you get used to the pacing and familiar with the faces, the pieces begin to fit together. The storytelling is genius, and the reveals are a lot more rewarding exposed in this way than if time were shown sequentially.

English dub: I just finished watching this, and it's a fair localization that kept to the spirit of the original, and included more appropriate accents. It's somewhat lacking in that Isaac and Miria, two of the more watchable characters, just aren't as funny, though the actors are decent they don't have the same chemistry as the original Japanese.

One of the greatest. A true must-watch

Author: bretboonnofan from United States
13 June 2013

I've just concluded watching this anime for the third time, and I have to say you are doing yourself a disservice by not watching it.

I was terribly shocked by its score on IMDb. 7.9? Blasphemy. There are only two logical reasons for anyone to not like this show. 1. they are appalled by blood. 2. they are not willing to think.

The plot of this show requires you to use your head and give your undivided attention. But this is a strength of the show. It will completely immerse you and is totally filler free. Three times through, and not a second of this show bores me. Three story lines are expertly weaved together with pacing that reveals everything at just the right time.

The characters are amazingly fun to watch bounce of each other. Insane people are set up, and the pay-off is amazing when they meet up.

The animation makes this even better. The show is the perfect length, so the budget is spread out to where everything is fluid and all the characters expressions are captured excellently.

The music is the exact same way, and the opening is the best I've ever seen, ever.

The voice acting is superb. Funimation's best dub to date. It captures the time excellently and every actor/actress is giving there all.

It's a show near perfection. The one flaw it has is some of the confusion there might be on first watching. But in the end everything is rapped up and is fully satisfying. Which is why I would give it a 9.7. I've seen 30 anime and this is number two, only being topped by Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I've also watched many respected youtube reviewers such as GRArkada, Gigguk, and JesuOtaku. Every single one either gave the show a perfect 10 or a strong 9. It's not just for anime fans. I showed this to my 40 year old parents (never seen anime) and they loved it. Do yourself a favor, go out and buy Baccano right now. Not afraid of blood or focus? Then you will have a hell of a time.

Great series with plenty of fun and action set in '30s America

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
5 July 2010

When I started watching this series I didn't know much about it but as it could be watched legally on Funimation's YouTube channel I thought I'd give it a go; I'm glad I did as it is one of the best anime series that I've seen. It is only sixteen episodes long but there isn't a moment wasted as it is jam packed with story and a large cast of memorable characters. When the cast it is first introduced in the opening credits it seems that it will be impossible to remember who is who but as they are such great characters it isn't so difficult. The great names also help; who could forget characters with names like Jacuzzi Splot, Czeslaw Meyer and Szilard Quates. The characters are a mix of immortals, gangsters and psychopaths living in 1930's America. Over the course of the series we learn how they became immortal, how they get to know each other and most importantly what happened aboard the 'Flying Pussyfoot' a transcontinental express bound for New York on board which most of the cast meet and many people die in unpleasant circumstances. Much of the series take place on the train but we also see frequent flash forwards of what happened before and what happens later, amazingly this does not lead to confusion.

The series was a lot of fun but also included violent scenes which would make it unsuitable for younger viewers; the actions of 'Rail Tracer' might give them nightmares, they made me cringe and its a long time since I was a child. The animation looks fantastic, the slight sepia tint giving it a period look and distinctive characters made it a joy to watch, it also had a great musical score to accompany it.

These comments are made based on watching the series in Japanese with English subtitles although I did see one of the episodes in English and thought the dub was pretty good.

Different Lives, Different Destinations, Endless Stories

Author: hellraiser7 from United States
20 December 2011

The people we pass by everyday all have stories, it's always the choices people make that either make the stories or even throw themselves into intentionally or unintentionally, design by fate or chance by choice, either way makes each characters story more broader because other people with stories intersect and connect. This is a principle in the mysterious art of storytelling but also life itself.

This is one of my personal favorite animes, I can't say too much about this anime since discovering things for yourself is actually one of the best things about this show. This show has so much going for it it truly will require more than one watch because it's just one of those stories where you uncover more as you revisit it making it long lasting. The animation is great the background animation is probably the most impressive to me cause it both captures decades long gone but also it's not static it's actually lively.

The story telling format is similar to films like "Pulp Fiction", "Watchman" and "Memento", which tell their stories in a non-linear format. I always loved this format in storytelling because it adds a great amount of intrigue and depth to both story and characters and makes you constantly wanting more info about their lives. There are lots of characters in this show it's confusing at first but if you stick with this show for a while you'll know who is who, how their connected and actually care about them. My favorites are Isaac and Mira whom are both eccentric airheads but their hearts are always in the right place and they do take actions that do have fruitful results.

The show is literally a puzzle another reason why it requires more than one watch. By it's nature the story is really simple it just doesn't seem that way due to it's jumbled arrangement and the fact there is so much happening and information, just when you think you have it all figured out think again because there is another twist that can throw you perception off balance. It's also beautiful mix of genres,there is alchemy, action, romance, gangster crime, noir, martial arts, slasher horror, comedy, fantasy, it's an exhausting mix but it all blends in perfectly like throwing in different fruits to make a tasty fruit punch.

As an old saying goes, "Everything happens for a reason." Rating: 4 stars

Best Anime I have seen (and I have seen a lot.. trust me)... spoiler free review

Author: TheNeel from India
9 May 2014

1. First Thing first - "best editing in any anime series ever." Perfect pace.. not to slow,, a bit fast, but you wont be totally clueless Grabs your interest thought out the entire 16 episodes..

2. Good Story "represented in the most amazing way". Actual plot is not the best thing but still awesome. You have to watch the entire series to get a complete understanding and after completing you will relish it even more and might get a complete new understanding to the story. **Brilliant Inner Meaning**

3. "Great Character Depth." Every character is special, different and grabs your attention (there are a lot of characters.. a lot)

4. I love the music.. opening track is energetic ,, ending is melancholic Background music build up at the perfect scenes.

5. Animation is old school,, Brilliant

|| Now, when I say the best anime its not mind blowing story/ thriller/ mystery/ science fiction / like Death Note/ Code Geass/ Samurai Champloo/ Steins Gate/ like super popular's like OP/ Naruto... but the overall experience is unlike any other (Guaranteed) ||

**Be warned.. lot of violence Watch yourself and recommend to others**

Excellent Watch

Author: Mayank Agarwal from India
9 July 2013

Its a Great watch for such a short series having only 16 episodes. Has its share of suspense,action and laughter

The first two episodes were a task to watch as you didn't know whats happening with the overload of characters,the many time jumps and the confusing story.

By the time the third episode ended, i was hooked. The sheer brilliance of the story line became clear. You will fall in love with the characters who are all unique. This animation is unique in having no central character. Each have there own story to tell and all of them are intriguing.

Each episode leaves you with wanting to know what will happen next.The music is also great.

Sad it ended so soon, do want to have more of these guys

A lovely show!

Author: mechachan15 from United States
8 March 2009

I first watched this one on the funimation website. They were having this special thing where you could watch the first episode online for free! (was in Japanese tho', which was peculiar instead of the dub:0) Aaaaanyway, this show is addictive and quite enjoyable. I could tell you about THE main character..but there are MANY main characters. The show keeps hopping along from character to character, describing certain events from different perspectives(did that make any sense??). This series is rather confusing so far, but I'm hoping it'll make more sense once I watch more of it. I've only seen the first four eps. The series is set in the 1930s in the U.S., which is pretty different for those used to watching anime where the setting is almost always Japan. There's some slang from the 1930s too, weird to get used to(plus some characters have accents). The dub is exceptional btw. Japanese is pretty good as well. Recommend either one.

So far, I give this show a 9/10. The music is great(the theme is pretty much intrumental 1930s music.), the animation is great(much like the style from Blood Plus),the voice acting is very spot-on, and the story is great. This is a great show,but should be noted it is rated M for mature, so maybe not such a great idea to let your little 5 year old watch it..they might be a little traumatized from the blood in some scenes. So far, there hasn't been that much blood tho', so don't let that stop you from watching the show:) Hope you watch! The first DVD is out now and more are on the way^^

A unique and fantastic adventure!

Author: edgedgedge from United States
3 January 2013

there are many areas in which this anime deserves a 10/10. it has many, many characters that, although initially seem to overload you with information, will each form a connection with you by the time the 16 episodes are up. this anime spares nothing when it comes to showing bloody fights and the like. however, it is used tastefully and is not to be confused with shows that have nothing but unchoreographed fight scenes, using chopped limbs and blood only to satisfy those who get off on that type of thing. "baccano!" takes a while to grow but if you stick it out till the end you will be very glad you did, for anyone who watches the entire series will be left with a longing for more anime like this one. i give this anime a 10/10 not because i have some connection with it or die hard obsession with it. i give it that because that is the rating anyone who watches it should give it, simply because it is closer to a 10 than it is to a 9.

"Baccano!" is close to being a one of a kind masterpiece. the only reason it does not achieve that title is do to "Durarara!", another great anime by the same production company, Brain Base, which i highly recommend seeing. "baccano!" consists of 13 episodes with 3 extra episodes that were released with the DVD.

A wild ride with alchemy, mafia wars, a train hijacking and serial murder.

Author: Jimmmm from United States
21 April 2011

Baccano! tells the story of two groups of immortals, some of whom aren't aware of their immortality, while with others, it's the audience who is out of the loop. Set primarily during the events of a train hijacking gone hilariously wrong, this is where most of the large ensemble cast come together in one place for the first time. Baccano! stands out by framing its climax, the events on the Flying Pussyfoot (dont laugh) in 1931 with the seemingly unrelated events of 1930 and 1932. The fate of many characters being known to you before their importance or relation to the other characters is made clear. The show makes repeated use of the somewhat non-traditional story-telling structure to build tension between characters and the viewers, breeding an inherent distrust of certain people due to your foreknowledge of future events. This makes for a very interesting experience, while never diminishing the many mysteries the show brings to the table.

The fantasy elements of immortality or demons are never overpowering, the former makes simply for an effective macguffin which masterfully drives along the plot while the characters develop on the centuries long ride of their never-ending lives. The later, making only sparse appearances as the mechanism behind immortality. Neither being of central importance to the story or the characters. A lot of shows with such high-concept aspirations tend to fall into a pool of their own self-importance and are content to just cook up some cosmology and let wooden archetypes wade through pseudo-philosophical metaphors and convoluted plot-lines. Meaningful dialogue or interaction between characters takes an obvious backseat to pushing the auteur's "grand vision." Not so with Baccano!, not by any stretch of the imagination. Every fantastical claim is paid off in full by the end. Nothing is brought to the table without the intention of it having some meaningful place in the story later on. There is no pretentious concept driving this production, only the passion and intensity of the story and the people who populate it. This is by far as close to a perfectly structured narrative as I've ever seen.

The characters are the real meat here though, they're lively and realistic but never boring or generic. The cast here is huge, at least a dozen important characters, and you'll need to keep track of them all. A large number of anime with a cast this size tend to let a lot of characters fall into plot-cracks only to resurface when a deus ex machina needs a plot twist for a pilot, while over-developing the 3 male leads and their girlfriends. That misuse of characters should be a crime, since often they're more interesting than the generic Mary sue/Johny Joe shonen heroes that get the lions share of screen time. Here everyone has a story thats well developed, understandable, and relate-able. All of them have distinct personalities and you'll have a hard time pinning them to simple anime clichés or tropes.

I HATE this show.

Author: danielcrowley
19 September 2016

Where's the trashman to eat up this garbage!? This anime is clearly only for people who like crap like Pulp Fiction. Stuff that has no purpose for existing, has no substance and only serves to waste your time. Anyone with a BASIC understanding of good storytelling can tell why this is bad. But while the animation and music for it is perfectly fine, nothing else works. From the start of the show you're just left confused and annoyed. Confused about the story, what's actually going on and about why the hell the story's time line is all jumbled up(there IS no reason). Annoyed at the character's stupidity that has no charm to it, at it's inability to tell a coherent story and plot and at the voice acting. I made the mistake of watching this dubbed under pretense that it was the correct way to watch it because of the setting. But since I hate the old timey-New York/American accent, the dub simply added to the torture. Looking back on it now, I probably should've switched to the sub. Oops. Biggest reasons for this anime not working at all is this:There is no reason to care about these characters or about what happens to them because the vast majority of them are all immortal. How am I supposed to care about these people and what's happening to them if nothing bad can happen to them and there's no consequences? They can't die. The immortal characters are LITERALLY indestructible. Save for the plot point of this old dude (they're all old but whatever) who starts "Devouring" immortals. Which is just a lazy way of trying to remedy the lack of tension coming from the plot point of immortality that YOU (the writer) CREATED! This problem is not hard to understand at all, this is called using your brain. I didn't care about any of the characters or the events of the story. Literally nothing interested me. It. was. BORING! The one thing I like though was one character who was mute, and I enjoyed watching how she interacted with other people. It's something that belongs in a much better anime. Another thing that bothered me is it's unbelievably poor control of tone. There so many unpleasant scenes in this that even I had trouble watching them. There's a scene where one character beats up another dude repeatedly while spouting asinine lines. And it JUST. KEEPS. GOING. The whole time I was saying " I get it, he's insane, I get it, I get it." And it's not a "good" insane either like the Joker. It's just unpleasant. Unpleasant scenes with unpleasant violence. I don't get it, is this anime supposed to be fun? Finally is the ending, or lack thereof. The fact that this has the balls to talk down to me and have an ending discussion on what makes good stories is insulting. Especially when the writer CAN'T MAKE ONE HIMSELF. It's pretentious, pseudo and it's crap, and all the rating out there for this anime are full of it too.