IMDb > The Perfect Host (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Really creepy good fun

Author: Simonster from Berlin, Germany
29 March 2011

Viewed at the Festival de Film, Cannes 2010

To spoil or not to spoil, that is the question. NOT spoil! The summary tells you all you need to know and anything else would be a revelation and defeat the object. Basically, David Hyde Pierce plays his Frasier character Nils as coming from the dark side. He's whacked out all right, but only slowly do we discover just how whacked and out he is!

The Perfect Host is not a horror film, although it's easy to see how it could have been made as one, but a psychological, cat and mouse thriller of tables (dining tables?) turning and being turned as small time hood meets major lunatic!

Given the vast majority of the film takes place in one setting, the film does come over as a bit staged at times, but that also adds another dimension because staging itself plays a big part. After all, Warwick Wilson (David Hyde Pierce's character) is staging the perfect dinner party and is not about to let some uncultivated intruder spoil things.

And then come the twists...

The Perfect Host is a little film that slips under the radar, but if you enjoy good thrillers, want a different take on the home invasion genre, just enjoy watching David Hyde Pierce (and he is most watchable) being creepy, then it's well worth a look.

Unique and great showcase for 2 actors.

Author: somf from United States
30 May 2011

Caught this on On Demand last night on a whim, and I am really glad I spent the overpriced ticket on it. David Hyde Pierce must have had a ball with this and Clayne Crawford is a very solid performer. He reminds me of a young Ray Liotta in "Something Wild". I hope to see him in some more high quality films, because he deserves a good career. I am in total agreement with the only other reviewer here so far; this is a film that to describe too much about really would spoil the twists.

The trailer even gives a bit too much away so if you have not seen it; trust me, if you have ON Demand and you enjoy Black Comedy have a go without watching the trailer.

The entire plot twists and setup is absurd, but if you don't nitpick too much as I am wont to do you will have a great time watching two talented actors for a fast paced 90 minutes.

I would have even rated this higher like a 9, but I didn't want the "incredibly surprised cause I had no expectations" factor to add too much to my numerical rating of this gem of a film.

David Hyde Pierce At His Best!

Author: poetjoey from United States
25 June 2011

The Perfect Host is a brilliant thriller about Warwick Wilson, a seemingly accommodating, middle-aged man, who loves hosting dinner parties for his unique group of friends.

Criminal at large, John Taylor, cons his way into Warwick's home and has an unforgettable, albeit, surreal night, full of wine, music and dance.

David Hyde Pierce and Clayne Crawford give superb performances. Writer / Director Nick Tomnay created this wonderful gem. It is certain to receive high praise from those who enjoy psychological thrillers.

The On Demand preview is riddled with spoilers. I recommend not watching the preview before viewing the film.

Brilliant!

Author: kimjarman19 from United Kingdom
4 July 2011

This film is brilliant. I am not going to go into details of it, because it would ruin all of the unexpected twists, but really, if you're wondering whether to watch it or not.. definitely watch it. I've watched a lot of films; thrillers, horrors.. and this one pleasantly surprised me, which is quite rare given that I've watched so many of them in the past.

I gave it a 10/10 because it was purely brilliant (I'm over-using the word I know!) and it's the type of film I would definitely watch again.

Oh one more thing, DO NOT watch the trailer/preview, it's such a spoiler, I actually watched the trailer AFTER I watched the film (as people had complained about it) and I'm so glad I did because most of the twists would've been spoilt for me if I had seen it before hand.

And to think that I came across this film looking through the IMDb "Comedy" genre list... it was a hidden gem!

David Hyde Pierce gives an excellent performance & the movie has many twists and turns.

Author: Terry Roehrig II from United States
15 September 2011

This is the type of movie where I wish I hadn't seen the trailer before I saw it. The trailer doesn't need to go so much into detail and tell you some of the upcoming plot twists and surprises the film has in store for it's audiences. Once again, Hollywood gives us too much and doesn't let the movie play on it's own strengths (like the performances of their cast) and they feel that they have to shock and awe us with some twists in the trailer. If you haven't seen the trailer -- don't. Just watch this one based on the summary and my review alone. Don't worry, you can trust me -- the movie is totally worth it.

John Taylor (Crawford) is just your typical, everyday thief. He's running from the law, wounded and all the cops have his description and the make and model of his getaway car. So, he ditches it and decides to hang low for a little bit by pretending to be whatever he needs to be in order to get inside someone/anyone's house. After digging through some mail, he finds a postcard from Australia from Julia addressed to Warwick Wilson (David Hyde Pierce). Jackpot. He pretends to be a friend of Julia's from Australia in order to have Warwick let him in. Once inside, some things go awry and then the tables get turned, so to speak. I can't really tell you too much about what goes on inside the house, because then that will spoil the movie. About the only thing I can tell you is that Warwick is a seemingly perfect host who kindly takes John in and caters to his needs because he has some guests arriving for a dinner party anyway, so what's one more, right? There is much to like in The Perfect Host. Standing out exceedingly is David Hyde Pierce. He gives a fantastic performance as Warwick. Yes, it may seem like his Niles character from TV's Frasier, but there's definitely more to him than meets the eye. I am not sure of too many actors who could have pulled it off as Hyde Pierce did. Crawford also does a nice job holding his own against Pierce but he's not the reason people will be buzzing about this movie.

Another thing that the film has going for it is the many twists and turns in the road until the final resolve. You think it'll be going one way and it goes the other. Your mind zigs, it zags. Your mind zags, it zigs. It's crazy busy with surprises and close calls. I enjoyed not knowing where the film would take us next and reveled in the idea that all bets were off about how it was going to end because of all the craziness that preceded.

The very subtle humor and overall quirkiness of the film caught me by surprise as well. The script is very well-written and thought out methodically in order for the pieces of the puzzle to fit together. The writer/director injected the film with some wonderful elements of humor and snappy dialog as to not let the film become too dark and extremely foreboding, I enjoyed that immensely. Kudos to him for keeping a light tone fully intact for what could have easily become just another mindless horror/thriller film.

Now let's discuss why the film isn't reaching "A" status. The initial plot is just a bit too neat, isn't it? One of the first things they teach you about writing screenplays is that audiences really hate coincidences. One, maybe.... two, three and four? Come on. It fits together too perfectly. There has to be a better reason for John Taylor to even step foot inside that house --- most criminals would hide out in the woods or find an abandoned shack somewhere, the last thing they want to be doing is coming across more people. Once inside the house, John also makes some silly character flaws that shouldn't have even been brought up in the first place...again, coincidence. I understand that if they didn't happen then we wouldn't have a movie... but... to me, it has to be better constructed than what was delivered. The film also has a few scenes that can easily be cut from the film because they don't advance the plot or give us any new details whatsoever.

However, the problems are minimal. It's still a very good watch and it'll be one that you will talk about and think about for a few days afterwards. As I am sitting here typing this, I am actually looking forward to sitting down with some friends and sharing this movie with them. It's too bad that the movie wasn't seen by a wider audience because Hyde Pierce would surely gotten some awards for his portrayal of Warwick Wilson.

More reviews at www.soveryterry.com

Final Grade: B+

Highly entertaining thriller, with a smashing performance from David Hyde Pierce

Author: highlandpercussion from United States
8 September 2011

At first glance, The Perfect Host concerns John Taylor's best laid plans being shattered when he meets quirky socialite Warwick Wilson. I wouldn't want to reveal much more; suffice it to say that the film's trailer barely skims the surface so to speak.

Once Warwick's true nature is revealed, it becomes difficult to discern good guy from bad guy. This, however, is one of the film's strengths; it doesn't beat its audience over the head with a specific philosophy.

The highlight of the piece is, without a doubt, the brilliant David Hyde Pierce. As I'm not familiar with Frasier, I can't compare Mr. Pierce's performance as Warwick to Niles Crane. In any case his transformation over the course of The Perfect Host is truly frightening.

I for one hope Mr. Pierce receives a good amount of Best Actor or Supporting Actor award recognition for his work here. He probably has a better shot at the latter, but that can't really be said yet. If you're a fan of his, or are simply curious about The Perfect Host, you're bound to have a good time.

Pierce Steals the Show in Nice Gem

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
9 July 2011

Perfect Host, The (2010)

*** (out of 4)

Two-bit criminal John Taylor (Clayne Crawford) pulls off a bank robbery but soon his name and picture are all over the news so he must find a place to hide for the night. He thinks he finds the perfect victim when he gets into the house of Warwick Wilson (David Hyde Pierce) but the robber soon realizes he's not the most dangerous person at this party. That's pretty much all the story anyone needs to know because there are so many twists and turns throughout the 93-minutes that knowing anything more would really take away many of the shocks. I must admit that I went into this movie not really knowing what to expect and when the end credits came up I immediately wanted to start telling people that this is a movie they should certainly check out. I think it's clear that the movie wants to be another THE USUAL SUSPECTS because there is just one twist after another and the movie does a terrific job making the viewer feel off their guard because you never quite know where the film is going and once you figure it out it just takes another turn to throw you. I thought what really made the film special is that the direction by Nick Tomnay just keeps the twists and turns coming at almost a poetic rate because there's a certain beauty to how everything plays out and it's really as if you're seeing some tango take place in front of your eyes. Everything is so well laid out in his screenplay that you really do feel as if you're watching something special take place even though there are a few flaws that I'll get to in a bit. Another major plus for me is that the film starts off with Crawford as the bad guy and Pierce as the good guy but throughout the movie they trade places and yet you can enjoy both characters. I enjoyed that we've got a film with only two characters and you can hate and like them and usually both within the matter of minutes. Crawford is extremely good in the more laid back role of the criminal and I thought he did a very good job with the role and especially when it was time for the events that happens to his character (again, I won't spoil them here). The real stand out is clearly David Hyde Pierce who is simply wonderful in the role. His character does so many odd things but Pierce makes you believe everything you're seeing and the amount of charm, charisma and personality that he brings to the film really makes this character his very own. While watching the performance it becomes clear that he's the only person in the world who could have played it. The film builds up some nice suspense throughout and I really enjoyed the rather unnerving way all the secrets get revealed. Horror fans will enjoy some of the black humor, which includes a hilarious piece involving the Gil Man from CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON. The film's major flaw is that there are a few too many twists and turns in the final ten minutes. With that said, THE PERFECT HOST is sadly going to get overlooked with all the blockbusters out there but hopefully people will give the film a chance as it's certainly a good little gem.

more twists than a tornado

Author: dicky69 from United Kingdom
24 August 2011

great film, David Hyde Pierce is brilliant & quite scary. highly recommended. The characters are simple but effective. The plot is easy to follow & keeps you on the edge of your seat. If you like David Hyde Pierce in Frasier then this character is much darker but just as funny. I would love to see Hyde Pierce play more nutter's in other films because he played the character so well.

Clayne Crawford supports well & his character is likable as a petty criminal.

Easy to watch, very clever

RED or WHITE wine????

Not so perfect

Author: mdnobles19 from United States
9 October 2011

An very eccentric black comedy/thriller that's boost a bold, creepy and wickedly funny performance from David Hyde Pierce. The movie goes down a pretty strange yet clever and suspenseful path that's similar to films like Swimming With Sharks, Hard Candy, Misery and An American Psycho but more on the comedy side. There was never a dull moment in this film it was entertaining throughout yet disturbing in its theme and keeps you guessing what's real and what's not and how it's going to end and the movie is kind of a refreshing take on the whole home invasion, held hostage type of thrillers but instead of the intruder doing the dirty work it's the owner of the home and I love that twisted take but it never gets too bloody because it's more witty and clever than that. Overall it never fully answers questions or fill in all the plot holes but it was different from the norm and was clever in its executions but still left me wanting more from it. Rental

Frasier gets serious

Author: troy-manatunga from United Arab Emirates
7 September 2011

A whimsical story written and directed by Nick Tomney, I LOVED IT!!! It was quite by chance that I happened to come across THE PERFECT HOST and I am ever so glad I did. It's been awhile to see a script in this degree to have been made into a movie. I have not gone into the aspect of the box office returns on this, since I am positive that the true reflection of this is unable to be measured since this merely is considered a low budget production. THE PERFECT HOST premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2010 in the hopes of making Nick Tomney debut full length movie directorial a hit. It is a highly unlikely occurrence for one to walk away disappointed with this movie. For an initial attempt at writing and directing his first movie this is a great sell point for Nick Tomney. I would for sure not hesitate in watching any more titles that would be released with his name in it. A PERFECT first impression.

David Pierce is the man of the hour. David Pierce who portrays the character of Warwick Wilson is outstanding. Words fail me at this point to elaborate his quintessential performance. I would say that a plethora of adjectives can be used to justify this stupendous theatrical performance and still I would not be doing him justice. I myself have never taken David Pierce to be an actor with such a diverse talent. This may quite be the reason for me to appreciate his work in THE PEREFECT HOST since he took me quite by surprise. I always saw him as Dr.Niles from the father of sitcoms FRAISER (It's appalling if you have not heard of FRASIER). Although he is scarce in the scenes of Hollywood, this could not have been played by any other any better. His physique, his posture, his walk, his tone and his body language is an astonishing marvel. I would not mean to say that it cannot be played by another, however I am almost certain it could not be done any better than Mr. Pierce.

Detectives Morton (Nathaniel Parker) & Valdez (Joseph Will) are on the case of a bank robbery that has taken place on this very day. The suspect a Caucasian male by the name of John Taylor (Clayne Crawford) is on the run in an attempt to evade the cops. Johns photograph is all over the news and he has no option but to seek refuge in the next available place. To lay low until the heat subsides. Masquerade himself as a Jehovah's Witness follower he approaches a household that share the same beliefs; however the lady of the house is sharp enough to see through his false appearance. John who is desperate takes another shot at the very next house in the same neighborhood. Going through the mail box of Warwick Wilson, John finds a postcard sent to him from Julia; a friend Warwick's who is traveling in Australia. Making up the perfect alibi and pretending to be a friend of Julia's; John approaches the house and rings the doorbell. Surprisingly Warwick Wilson turns out to be THE PERFECT HOST.

A must watch movie, that will blow your mind. If you are a thriller Junkie and love the suspense and appreciate eccentric screenplays - this is an ideal movie that will blow your mind away. In my humble opinion this is a master piece in terms for a debut production!

Title: The Perfect Host Directed by: Nick Tomney Starring: David Pierce, Clayne Crawford, Nathaniel Parker & Joseph Will Rated: R for language, some violent content and brief sexual material Rating: 07/10

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]