IMDb > Never Let Me Go (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 29: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Rubbish film, rubbish screenplay, waste of two hours

Author: Menashe Smith from United States
4 February 2011

Probably the worst screenplay and story of 2010. So it's the 21st or 22nd century and young people's organs are harvested and there's a love story. Wow. So deep. Like, WTF????? I don't mind that the concept doesn't make any sense at all (there are plenty of SciFi movies which are great) .... but the entire "oh we're so sad" English BS is just over the top. Really. Waste of 120 minutes of my life that we'll never be back. Very shallow love story, boring soundtrack, and simply super-annoying screenplay. Yikes.

I think I'll limit my Keira Knightly movies only to those where she's topless, at least then it's not a complete waste of time.

Don't waste your time

Author: Eleni from Greece
20 January 2011

I had great expectations for this one. The trailer was interesting and the cast is excellent (if you've seen Mulligan in "An Education" and Garfield in "The Social Network" you know what I mean). Well, the movie is a disaster. The story is not properly developed. The pace is awfully slow, you keep waiting for something to happen but it never does. The dialogue is ridiculous. The love story doesn't get to you. You don't feel for the characters, even though they're really trying to get you down with the rain, the dark colors and the violin music... Overall it's just plain boring. It takes itself too seriously and it ends up blubbering. Don't waste your time on this one. I watched the whole thing and I can tell you, no, it doesn't get any better.

Disquieting and Unresolved

Author: AZINDN from United States
8 December 2011

A film that is at its heart so sad and bleak, Never Let Me Go provides a haunting reality that remains with one after the credits roll. Tommy (Andrew Garfield), Kathy, and Ruth grew up together in a school which raised humans for transplantation of vital organs when they entered young adulthood. Set in the ahistorical now, the trio grows up and apart, all the while engaged within a non-eventful world of existing to donate and "complete." Kathy (Carrie Mulligan) joins the ranks of the "carers," the responsible adult who awaits the return of the donor from surgical extraction of some body part, and tries to ease their transition to their inevitable end. After ten years, she again is reunited with Ruth (Kiera Knightly), who has not demonstrated the kind of heartiness the system would like in donors, and is likely to succumb with her next extraction. Together, Ruth and Kathy find Tommy who still remains the love interest of Kathy, and who Ruth had intentionally tried to separate as a precocious teen. Now, in her waning time, she apologizes to the couple for stepping into their true love relations many years past. Reconncilled and resolute to her finality, Ruth's death on the operating table is both gruesome and devoid of any heroic measures. She flatlines and is disposed.

Never Let Me Go is unsettling in its quiet storyline that is both horrific and accepting of science and a society that regulated organ transplantation. Growing beings as future resources for medical reasons is an ethical dilemma which modern society addresses with moralizing religious rhetoric, but in this film, that emotionalism is thankfully absented. The only question that is asked is whether the Hallsham students possessed a "soul" that could be detected in the children's art. Yet this point is never fully explained until well into the film which adds to the richness of the storyline. To eliminate disease in society through the use of body parts becomes more than an ethical issue today, it is a moral quandary which Never Let Me Go puts forth with disquieting non-resolution. One quandary not discussed remains that of organ transplants for children. Were the youngest members of civilized society as depicted also served by farm-raised youngsters, or were only adults the recipients? Who were the carers for baby donors until their completion?

A film that draws mature performances from the youthful cast, Mulligan and Knightly are excellent casting choices and put aside the physical beauty they are noted for to bringing a credibility and pathos to their performances. Andrew Garfield as Tommy is the sole male between the two women who he has loved since childhood. His is a role that is both restrained all the while sublimating the rage of his existence. This is a film that stands alone without necessitating a read of the novel, a format that is not necessary for appreciation of the work by a subtle director and aided by another beautiful musical score by Rachael Portman. Adult, small, and evocative, Never Let Me Go wraps itself around your conscience and draws its themes before the public with successful irritation.

Don't try to compare to the book- an amazing film

Author: dancindiva-61-296948 from United Kingdom
5 September 2011

I have never cried at a film so much in my entire life. I had not read the book, but immediately after watching bought it online as I knew it would be a must-read. I think anyone who picks out every missing section of the book from within the film should concentrate on the film itself, separately, in it's own right. The acting is incredible. All three main roles are performed with such heart wrenching emotion and such raw vulnerability, I have never seen anything like it. Other people I know have complained that nothing really happens in the film, so I would just say, be prepared for a romantic drama. It does not add any CGI or car chases to try to be anything else. I think the simple plot of one single love story is refreshing against new romantic films seen today where the motto seems to be, the more complex the script is the better. I would definitely recommend this and will consider it to be one of my favourite films ever.

Read the book!

Author: Fred Liu
27 August 2011

After reading this riveting tale of grief and sorrow, I had decided to watch the movie to solidify my interpretation of the novel. One of the main reasons I had done this is because Kazuo Ishiguro, the author of the novel, takes the reader upon a journey of grief that is almost impossible to comprehend.

Though I had very high expectations for this movie, I was very disappointed. One of the biggest discrepancies between the novel and the movie are the main focus or theme. While the novel focuses more on the morality of clones and attempts to bring the reader upon a horrific account of "normal kids," the movie focuses upon the romance aspect a little too much. Readers of the book will discover that many of the key interactions between Ruth and Kathy are missing.

In summation the movie takes a lot of liberty with the book's plot and I would highly suggest reading the book rather than just watching the movie

Never Let Me Go (2010)

Author: Teebs2 from Kent, UK
18 August 2011

A great tragic love story with a subtle sc-fi twist directed by the talented Mark Romanek and adapted from Ishguro's novel by Alex Garland. The central love trio are very well played both as children and young adults, with Knightley, Garfield and Mulligan all capturing their characters strengths and uncertainties in the face of their future as cloned organ donors.

The film has a beautiful yet melancholy atmosphere with a muted earthy colour palette and moody shots of barren coastlines. The film wisely distances from any moralising about the sci-fi side of the story instead focusing on the characters' relationships to life and each other heightened by the limited lifespans of the characters although all the more poignantly applicable to our own. Some may find it too slow and downbeat, but if you can go with the pace it's also very rewarding.

Haunting, unusual film that leaves you with a dour feeling and plenty of food for thought

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
7 August 2011

STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

As kids, Kathy (Carey Mulligan), Tommy (Andrew Garfield) and Ruth (Keira Knightley) were raised in a seemingly idyllic English country school, with a seemingly normal future for such people. Then Tommy starts displaying behavioural problems, and they start to blossom into adulthood, displaying the expected transitional emotions for those at that stage in their life. Then the truth is laid on them...that they are not normal human beings, but clones whose destiny is to provide vital organs to patients, shortening their life span considerably. The film follows them on their journey over several decades, as they drift apart but are drawn back together again for a devastating final encounter.

The title of this (and indeed, of the obviously very popular book it is based on which, of course, I haven't read) is quite fitting, because indeed the premise certainly doesn't let you go. Some might find it rather outlandish and far fetched, but equally you could see it as an intriguing and thought provoking work, raising issues on the ethics of cloning and human morality. Conspiracy theorists in the audience might even hint that this sort of thing might really go on, and that the government conceals it and makes it seem normal like in this film. Who can really say...? The film drives it's already strange and unnerving subject matter with a deep and haunting sense of atmosphere from beginning to end, with the sound effectively drowned out for large stretches, and the use of landscapes and large open spaces used to successful effect.

Of course, the performances have to work to make the whole thing go smoothly, and thankfully all involved are on top form, Knightley displaying one of her better works as the strongest and most domineering out the group, while Samantha Morton (sorry, Mulligan) and Garfield are decent support. It's a startling, dour work that a few have found to be 'depressing' and this is a tone you could certainly notice in it and it's so over whelming it may be alienating to some, but it's a unique film that plays out in it's own distinctive way and will be memorable for being like this and raising the difficult issues it does. ****

Great performances

Author: ASpiralingRedDream from United States
23 November 2012

It's a shame that I just saw Never Let Me Go now, two years later. But better late than never, right? This is a moving, very well acted science fiction film with a lot going for it. Maybe on the downside, it does feel like it's all based on a book. I wouldn't say it's rushed, but it moves too swiftly for you not to think otherwise. But no matter, because it's intriguing from start to finish. It's rather simple, and the themes are right there for you to ponder over, but I don't say that as a criticism at all. On the contrary, the whole film is so delicately handled, it makes you deeply care about the characters in question. The biggest surprise perhaps was that the three leads were all pretty great. Mulligan is one of the best young actresses working right now, if not the best, and it still amazes me how much she can do with so little. There's no really dramatic scenes for her here, but she captivates our attention completely and her face with a single expression can touch the heart and make you feel a dozen emotions at once. A truly great actress. The biggest surprise though was Knightley, who I still don't know if I would consider a great actress. She has had some really good performances and some other failed ones, but here she's really great.

Overall, a great film, and one of the best of 2012.

One Crazy Movie

Author: raoul_hostettler
29 August 2012

Okay ANYONE who has a Heart and feelings think twice before you want to watch this movie.

It was one crazy sad and annoying movie that makes you think about life once again.

It is based on a book but watching the actual movie is even more sad and makes you more angry then the book.

I hope that anyone who applies to donate anything of their body please be sure to make sure that that is what you want even though the kids in the novel didn't have a choice even though they did without knowing.

"The art was based on whether you had a soul and not based on the feelings towards others".

It is not a happy ending even though it could have been since the School was shut down.

As people say what you learn as a small child is the only thing you will ever know.

A bleak, alternative dyspotic story

Author: freemantle_uk from United Kingdom
24 June 2012

In an alternative version of England they has been a medical breakthrough back in 1952 where scientists are able to cure most diseases and people are able to live to 100. But a cost is a new underclass of people has developed, breed for a dark destiny. Three of these people are Kathy H (Carey Mulligan), Tommy D (Andrew Garfield) and Ruth (Keira Knightley) who grow up together in a strange boarding school, Hailsham and a love triangle between the three starts to bloom and causes tensions between the three before they face their donations.

The adaptation of Never Let Me Go sets out a very bleak society, where people are institutionalised into a system where they are breed to die. Even the prospect of a deferral would only offers people a respite from their fate, it did not stop what happens and nor do the character even attempt an escape because they accept what will happen to them. This is a more realistic view on this type of sci-fi scenario and this dyspotia shows a world that there is no need of controls to keep the clones. A complex world was created where people bury there heads in the sand, they know what is happening and pretend not to see it. The clones are dehumanised, they are not given surnames and they used in the system in a constant cycle of comfort. Normal people try to pretend the clones are none people but they are human, they feel, they love and it is a film that also has a theme of nature versus nurture.

This film also have damning look at a dark version of the medical establishment, that they are willing to save people by taking the life of another and how they are willing to accept this system. This is an issue of medical ethics and general one where are what point are we willing to accept suffering of a group if it meant a better life for the majority. Should the pain of one person be tradable for the pain other another. There is lot of moral issues to consider with this film. I am sure that the Bristol Heart Scandal and other medical scandals were used as influences for the final third of the film.

There is a great cast and director who worked on this film. Mulligan and Garfield are both very talented actors who were believable in their roles. You felt for both their situation and relationship in the backdrop of world. Knightley played a colder, harsher character but she does well in her role. The three child actors who played the younger versions of main characters were all very talented as well and played very complex roles of being children who have a very strange upbringing. One of the big themes is that the characters only have each others, they do not even know where they come from and have the realisation they are modelled on the undesirables of society and not knowing where they come from.

Never Let Me Go uses a traditional three act, set in three different times of the character's lives. Mark Romanek brings a deliberately cold style of direction which was fitting to the sad situation that this film tells. He brings nice little touches throughout, from the period setting, the run down look of The Cottages, the old toys the children are given, the way ordinary people avoid contact with the clones and how the clones act when they are finally introduced into the real world. For a film that is rated 12A there is a surprising amount of nudity and sex.

There are plenty of dyspotic fiction created in British in film and literature. The adaptation of Never Let Me Go is not the best but it is still very good film, telling a bleak story and a setting out a harsh world for a underclass. It needed the strength of the director, the writers and the actors to make this film work.