"Family Guy" Not All Dogs Go to Heaven (2009)

« Prev | 122 of 298 Episodes | Next »

They don't get much better than this

Author: beautifulrock1978 from foxwoods
30 March 2009

The battle lines of science versus religion are crossed in this episode which features the voices of just about every main character in the Star Trek : The Next Generation television series. Every gag seems to work, even the old ones (think Cool WHip), and the drive-in scene is especially hilarious and true to life. When Michael Dorn asks if they have a McDLT, a sandwich that went out of production in 1990, I lose it. Early on you are warned by Peter that this is a "Meg" episode, but her journey from being bedridden to brainwashed yet again holds up well juxtaposed against the hilarity of Stewie's kidnapping. It all comes together when we learn what the universe is, and are treated to yet another absurd live-action ending. Thank you Seth MacFarlane.

Good Episode

Author: littleballerz from United States
1 April 2009

Before I start this review let it be known that I am 100% a practicing catholic. And I still found this episode to be nice. First off the plot is basically Meg gets the mumps is stuck in her room discovers a religious show that makes her take God really seriously. She tries to get her family to go on Brian reveals to be atheist and meanwhile Stewie beams the Star Trek The Next Generation cast to quahog to spend a day with them. Anyway as for the actually episode it was probably one of the more nicely written episodes of Family Guy in a while. The manatee jokes didn't get in the way of the plot and some of them were even laugh of loud material like the one about shampoo on airplanes. Where the episode really shined were the star trek scenes basically the cast was presented as behaving like a group of toddlers and it worked. So anyway there's controversy over the episode's black and white approach to religion. Generally from the end scene where Brian convinced Meg there wasn't a God by telling her God wouldn't make her so ugly. While I agree it was a too simple and biased look at religion; I also have to state that this is family guy and they over simplify and make fun of everything. It would really hypocritical of me to say how mad I am at Family Guy for making fun of my beliefs when it's made fun of other people all the time and I've laughed. I mean I'm living proof the stereotypical views of Christians presented on family guy are false I'm a real life catholic who laughs at himself which in the family guy universe is impossible. But again its not suppose to be true its suppose to be funny... and it was. So to all the people who hate it because it says there's no God especially the ones who are Family Guy fans you're being giant hypocrites. And you should just respect the fact that Seth Macfarlane has a right to present his view of religion however he wants its his show.

Another Amusing Offering

Author: madfriar-1 from United Kingdom
11 April 2009

Wow, I bet Mr McFarlane gets a kick out of seeing these posts! Another good episode, although this season of FG has been somewhat more random and obscure (especially to a Briton) this one is a personal corker. As Peter says, it is a Meg episode and he does give you the option (perhaps some of the reviewers here should have taken his advice) to change the channel. But Patrick Stewart and his merry bank steal the show and make it all worth watching. However the best line has to be Brians cynical attack on Meg to a. get booze and b. stop her burning books. If you think about it this episode, like all FG episodes, tells you to think about the world you live in and not blindly follow the other sheep.

If you do take offence to Brians atheistic attitude or the fact that God is Flash Gordon...remember that this is a world where dogs can drink and date women, babies have advanced knowledge of quantum science and Peter Griffin is actually employable, God not existing is the least of your worries.

Relax Christiandom will not be brought down by this episode.

Author: andersort from United States
5 April 2010

I can't believe the reviewer asking where "his" good old Family Guy went. This episode is completely in keeping with the rest of the show. Part of the basis of the entire series is to be offensive. I think it's fairly obvious from the first episode that Seth MacFarlane thinks pretty much all people (not just religious people) are idiots.

I also think this reviewer misses two things about U.S. culture. One, it's a lot more secular than as portrayed on FOX News. Two, with the exception evangelical Christians most Christians can laugh at jokes about their religion.

The popularity of this show and other shows and movies of it's ilk demonstrate this point time and again; the United States is not a Christian Nation, it's a secular nation whose majority identifies as Christian.

In the end believers of all stripes who are secure in their faith can laugh and say that Brian is silly to be an Atheist, it's just a cartoon after all. Which shows how many deep seeded doubts extremists actually have.

Peace, Rich

"Do they still do those Shamrock milkshakes?" - "Jonathan, it's September!". Brilliant episode

Author: JSwallowX1 from Ireland
16 June 2011

The Griffins attend the annual Star Trek convention, and when Peter sees an ugly fat man with a deformed face, he gets excited and throws Meg at him telling her to get into a photo with the man dressed as an alien. The man, blatantly offended, informs Peter that he has the mumps. Meg has never been vaccinated against it, so she ends up stuck in bed for days sick. Peter is warned not to go near her because he himself has never been vaccinated, and if he were to contract the mumps, it could lead to fertility damage. Meanwhile, Stewie, disappointed after being ignored by the Star Treck cast at the convention, creates a portal and manages to gather the entire crew in the basement. He has a day-out planned with them, which will end in total disaster as the crew will prove to be more of a handful than a bunch of kids. Meg finds God while watching a religion programme, and is horrified when Brian announces he is an atheist.

Although it's a somewhat preachy episode (It's likely to offend some viewers) "Not All Dogs go to Heaven" is a superb episode that I thought was hilarious thanks to the Star Trek crew who end up irritating Stewie when he takes them to McDonalds and Bowling. The scene with them at the drive-in at McDonalds was classic. The other part of the story with Meg finding God was okay, but not as funny, but despite it being preachy, I thought it provided a nice theory on faith and belief and the organisation of the world religions. But as other reviewers have pointed out, yes, this is not the same "Family Guy" from years ago when it started out. But like all shows - and everything else in life - it inevitably changes over time.

An ideal transporter malfunction

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
11 September 2017

As Family Guy episodes go, this one has its moments. The downside is that they take a backseat to the main storyline: one in which Meg finds God, turns to Krk Cameron bible-thumping, and ultimately learns a lesson. It's not a good lesson because it exists as a microphone for Seth Mcfarlane's politics. It's unwieldy, tedious and worst of all, not funny.

But when it is funny, it has me in stitches. Stewie builds his own transporter and beams in the TNG cast, none of whom are what you'd expect; and the whole thing works because they're driving him nuts. not only that, but they got every one of the cast for voicework. It's one thing to write them as petty infants, another thing entirely to get all of them in on it. And that speaks volumes.

You don't even need to waste time on the God stuff, just YouTube the TNG clips. Especially the drive-thru scene. It's a winner.

I Stopped Watching Because of This Episode

Author: meredsm from United States
18 July 2010

First, I am a Christian. Second, I do have a sense of humor.

I loved the South Park episode "Bloody Mary." It is mostly a satire of Alcoholics Anonymous, but the Catholic Church was highly offended by this episode because it featured a statue of the Virgin Mary "bleeding out her ---." Nevertheless, it was a hilarious episode, and I highly recommend it to anyone willing to appreciate it.

I've been watching South Park for years because of two reasons: 1) It's funny. 2) South Park knows how to satirize without personally offending any group of people. Sure, they've taken their potshots at celebrities and other individuals (deservedly so), but they've largely avoided making blanket statements about groups of people. You won't hear them say, "All Republicans are ignorant rednecks" or "All Democrats are patronizing hippies." This is how South Park has managed to stay relevant and popular for years.

And if South Park satirized religion, they didn't personally insult the believers. Seth MacFarlane broke this unwritten rule. Brian's speech at the end of this episode was akin to saying, "Your religion is wrong and you are an idiot for believing in it."

Never mind the fact that the quality of Family Guy episodes had been deteriorating for years since its renewal. I kept watching because I hoped that it could return to its pre-2005 comedy form. Everyone remembers the Kool-Aid guy screaming "Oh Yeah!" in the courtroom. When did Family Guy stray from its roots to start preaching religion and politics?

I was also quite disappointed that the Star Trek: TNG cast wasn't more prominently featured in this episode. I love TNG, and I had hoped that the cast would be the "A" storyline. Years ago when the show was in its infancy, they might have been.

So although this show was dying for years, it was this episode that finally turned me off. I found myself watching the "Simpsons" again. Give it a try; you might realize and appreciate all the subtle, clever humor you've missed for years with this show.

"Not All Dogs Go To Heaven"... but this episode can go to hell!

Author: bespin0079 from United States
17 September 2015

Here's a riddle: "You have a story where you want to promote the creator's New Atheist beliefs*, but that stuff only drives away audiences. How do you get them to watch it?"

Answer: "Promote it as a reunion for the STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION cast."

Actually, I'm not joking. The STAR TREK: TNG reunion was the B- Plot. The meat of the story was Meg becoming a fundamentalist Christian after watching a show hosted by Kirk "Have Yourself A Materialistic Christmas" Cameron and Brian puking out one strawman after another in the name of the superior New Atheist master intellect.

For example: Brian argues God isn't real because the Hubble Telescope never found Him. This brainfart is right up there with "I never saw a monkey turn into a man!"

The episode even showcases Christians burning books and suggests that there is no Supreme Being because Meg isn't attractive.

I could go on, but entire thesis papers have been written about why this episode doesn't work. It's just another example of how far over the hill this show has become to be added to an ever-growing list.

An atheist I knew once complained that they were the least trusted group in America. If you sit through "Not All Dogs Go To Heaven", is it any wonder why?

*Yeah, I said "beliefs". Gonna cry now, tovarischii?

My take on this

Author: kdunlap24 from United States
4 September 2009

I can almost see everyones point. It IS kind of offensive. And it would be easier to take if he wouldn't take his views so seriously. Having said that, I still crack up when I watch it.

But thats the main problem with the left. They are so use of making fun of the right that they think they are the intellectual be all end alls in the country. Not so.

They need to take a page from the middle aged white guy play book and laugh at themselves once in awhile. Does he read this? Not likely. But it wouldn't hurt.

And he does make fun of atheists. Brian admits to believing JUST to get a drink.

Et tu, Family Guy?

Author: jouall from United States
15 October 2012

Family Guy always loves to point fun at minorities and majorities alike, and it's all good. I can laugh at jokes that mock my stereotypes. I can take some heat. But imagine, if you will, an episode that centers around mocking black people. It plays all of the most popular racist jokes, all in good fun, and it's acceptable. Now picture, at the end, a scene where they step out of character and say, "But seriously, though, all jokes aside... black people really are morons." What would you think of that episode? This episode was all fun and games until they made it serious at the end. Light humor = happy fans, but when they make it dead-serious, honestly, what do they expect?