IMDb > New York (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
New York

New York More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

one of the very best from bollywood

Author: mosadiq_atifmal from United States
1 August 2009

this movie was very interesting movie to watch because of the subject matter that it covers . when i watch this movie i realized that kabir khan is the next biggest director of bollywood. He has done a great job ,the story is very original and each character feels very real. One thing that i liked about this movie was that it used background music just like in departed, which i was very impressed because they don't do that in bollywood. Another thing which i noticed in this movie , which was not something bad to do but the part when Omar goes As under cover agent seemed like a scene from the departed.As far as the performances go i was very impressed by Neil Nitin Mukesh , you just can't believe it's his third movie and proves himself a scene stealer. A bravo performance.The next person that really proves himself a great actor in this movie is John Abraham, Before this movie everybody considered him body but after this movie proved that he is an excellent actor.Well irfan khan as always could never disappoint you he is probably the Naseeruddin Shah of his generation. Katrina is also acting in this movie for a change . She proves that besides being a beautiful girl she is also a good actress.I enjoyed this movie very much and didn't wanted to end because it was very fast paced and very entertaining.It is a must watch. 8/10 .

Brilliant

Author: M K from Canada
26 June 2009

Truly this movie delivers what it promises. It starts with a bang (literally) and keeps the audience at the edge of their seats! I liked the fact they didn't push any unnecessary songs into the movie. The acting was amazing. Neil Nitin Mukesh, John and even Katrina, did a fantastic performance. Hats off to Kabir Khan and Sandeep Srivastava for writing such a sensitive topic. I liked the fact that this movie wasn't all "anti America", nor was it to show sympathy for terrorists. The movie states the facts and shows each side of the issue. There weren't any music nor song that really captivated much of my attention, it could've been much better. Overall, I would definitely recommend everyone to watch this movie for both the performances and of course the story.

A Nutshell Review: New York

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
27 June 2009

This spat between the Bollywood producers and exhibitors have finally come to an end for now, and this Aditya Chopra produced film becomes the first off the blocks locally, and what more than a summer film that had its promotional trailer playing since late last year finally being able to see some light, starring some of my favourite Bollywood stars like John Abraham and Irrfan Khan.

I had been impressed by director Kabir Khan's debut feature Kabul Express, which also starred Abraham, and Khan has a knack for drawing the audience into contemporary social issues, given his journalist background. For his two features to date, he has crafted tales around the issue of terrorism, not to glamorize it, but to tell the more human aspects into what probably were the push factors for someone to go off the edge and succumb to the notion that violence is the only means available to justify their cause. And to do so without draping the film in melodrama, or with sympathy in excess.

In Kabul Express, we look at the background of a Taliban soldier who in frequent role reversals, become both the captive and the captor, with a moving story as to what made him do the things he did. In New York, a similar strategy applies in addressing some post-9/11 issues where foreigners were profiled and held in detention, finally being released in months or years because of the lack of evidence. If Bollywood constantly draws inspiration from Hollywood, then the film that had dealt with similar themes would be Rendition, and a smattering of Crash thrown in as well.

The film spent its first act very much closely resembling that in the trailer, which dwells on the lives of three good friends who met at the New York State University, Americans of Indian origin Sam(ir) Sheik (Abrahan), Maya (Katrina Kaif) and an Indian student on a scholarship Omar (Neil Nitin Mukesh). Having two guys and a girl translates to a romantic triangle brewing, where Maya drifts toward the more down-to-earth Omar, but having her heart already firmly set for the arrogantly confident Sam. It's like a teenage college romance with a lengthy musical montage just to cement their fast and strong relationship, until declarations from the heart, and 9/11 come play a part to separate them all.

To tell you any more would be to spoil the fun, because the story takes an interesting narrative structure in keeping you guessing who's turned to the dark side, and who's not; who's lying and who's telling the truth. It has intensity almost close to that in Infernal Affairs, where you wonder just who might turn because of the allegiance to friendship. You can imagine how you would feel if you're asked by the authorities to work undercover for them just because they have something against you, and you're to cooperate for leniency or face the music - what would you do to save your own skin, and if it calls for covert surveillance of your friends, would you do it? Irrfan Khan's Roshan is an FBI agent because of his roots and ability to connect with his "brothers", and this comes fairly accurately as the US agencies had begun to ramp up its recruitment of non-native English speakers so that they can gain keen insights from surveillance to things like translation. In fact, the Roshan character was dangerously close to being a clone of Irrfan's Slumdog Millionaire turn, especially at the interrogation table in having to fish out the truth. Neil Nitin Mukesh had more of a dramatic challenge with his role as the freshie Omar compared to his action role as a photographer in Aa Dekhen Zara, while John Abraham looked very much comfortable with his self-assured character given his alpha-male persona. Despite being one of the most photographed actresses/models in India, this film would mark my first watching Katrina Kaif in action, and I guess beautiful women get no love from female audiences who are there to root for the two male leads.

New York struck a fine balance between drama and action, devoting time to each primarily before and after the intermission. It may not be the first film that dealt with the terrorism issue on US soil, but it did enough to continue the awareness that sometimes certain policies stemming from acute paranoia just don't work, and may become that self-fulfilling prophecy that would return to haunt you. Between Kabir Khan's two films, I still prefer the former, but that doesn't mean that New York isn't worth a shout out.

Fairly awakening - loses the point at many places, but still works all the same

Author: Peter Young from Earth
17 October 2009

I did not expect much from 'New York'. A title like this always seems to be a pretentious lure to make a film look good or modern. And it was pretty ordinary and almost unwatchable when everything suggested the film would just be another regular fare - a romantic drama or something of this sort. There were continuous scenes with Irrfan Khan interrogating Neil Nitin Mukesh about something I did not even understand, and the film was going into numerous flashbacks which did not really make sense. I just felt this was a too early take-off on 'Slumdog Millionaire'. But I was completely surprised when the second half took a drastic, absolutely unexpected twist. From then on, there was no looking back. The film became thrilling, more interesting and pretty moving at the same time. Whatever one can say about the film, there was a very relevant message behind the entire story. The narrative revealed it through such terms as innocence and guilt, truth and untruth, justice and injustice, love and hate. All these antonyms swap places through the story of innocent civilians accused for no fault of their own post the 9/11 attacks. The result of this tragic incident made the lives of so many of them miserable, and the purpose of this film and its title eventually seem to be quite justified.

The film is generally decently written, and Kabir Khan's direction is good (albeit inconsistent). The portrayal of New York before and after 9/11 may not be great, but still can be forgiven, although the entire story of three friends and a love triangle between the three is not really necessary and is poorly executed. The film has some good performances. John Abraham is convincing as Sam and the viewer may feel for him as he witnesses the emotionally destructive experience his character had to go through. Katrina Kaif is surprisingly passable as Sam's supportive wife. Irrfan Khan is unsurprisingly brilliant in a role which is not very significant but contributes to the film in its own way. However, Neil Nitin Mukesh is awfully miscast and is evidently struggling a lot with a role that seems to put too much pressure on his limited range of acting abilities. The film's music is very good. I do recommend you to watch New York. It is entertaining, although I wouldn't say it's a film that can be watched over and over again. I appreciate Kabir Khan for taking on a fairly risky subject and handling it with aplomb. Many other filmmakers would make it look overly banal and unconvincing, and though New York is not without its clichés and consistency is not the right word to describe it with, Khan succeeds in making an impressive film with a poor script which manages to move you at certain points.

This is the movie for which we were waiting...

Author: Kamal Krishna Patnaik (superk9199) from India
6 July 2009

Kabir Khan's 'New York' is nothing but a masterpiece.'New York' has truly delighted me.I don't know why i'm even giving this comment.This movie cannot be described by mere words.People always criticize Bollywood movies because of the lack in realism in them, but 'New York' is so realistic that everything in the movie feels like 'real'.The acting of every actor in the movie is commendable.Songs are used only when they are required.Everything about the movie was just perfect.I have always liked John Abraham, Neil Nitin Mukesh and Irrfan Khan but I had a feeling that Katrina might spoil the movie, but her performance left me speechless.After a series of dull and boring movies in 2009, New York came and changed everything.I must say that this is the movie we were waiting for.

Nice

Author: Imran Zunzani from India
5 July 2009

Despite having heard lots of depressing opinions on this movie I decided to watch it & I am really happy that I did. Although, yeah, most of the points were predictable, I'd give it a better than average vote for depiction of the agony, loss of confidence & retaliation that develops due to gross mistreatment. This part was well done. I liked the balanced & nervous character that Neil portrayed. I wasn't fully convinced with the rationalization that Roshan (Irfan Ali) made; that part should be given more work. If Karan is to come with his version of 'New York', he'd have to keep this rationalizing part real impacting.

Most people commented about the movie not being aptly emotional. I disagree. I'd like the way how the team worked to make it what I call "Not Sappy".

I'm really happy that the Indian Film Industry is making these bullshit free movies. Thanks for this.

Life after 9-11

Author: Biswajit Tripathy from India
5 July 2009

Omar has been framed by FBI agent Roshan and his boss to work as an undercover agent to get the details of the life of Samir and Maya who is a suspected terrorist. Roshan wants to caught him redhanded and forces Omar to work for them. Omar agrees in one condition that FBI won't kill Samir if he makes him agree to surrender in case he is found to be a terrorist. Omar, Samir and Maya were college mates in New York State University when Samir and Maya fall in love and are now a couple with a kid. The 9-11 attack leaves a mark in their life and all have gone their ways.

The movie is shot entirely in US with beautiful scenics of US and shot stylishly like most Hollywood movies. The various torture scenes shot in detention center look very realistic and your heart will go for the terrorist suspects. The scene where Maya is being caught by a cop late in the night, and his client killing the policeman and the scene that follows will catch your heart. The rebellious eyes of Maya's client will keep your heart tied.

The entire cast of the movie has given their best and the movie is a show-stealer from day-one. Katrina's power packed performance justified her role as the sole heroine in the movie. Irfan, Neil and John have given one of their best performance in their life.

Wow

Author: Don Philippi from Boston
20 August 2009

this was a very sad but great movie i don't know it could be more on the actuality side of things. I mean i don't want the FBI or HLS breaking down my front door of my house. but who really knows. anyway great story the producers were amazing at presenting this. had great acting. samir was a great choice for his roll i think that he should have been a older guy maybe a professor that would have made a better story like a sleeper cell with a professor recruiting foreign students to plot and terrorize. the FBI agents were just stupid i mean who really would act like that. I think there should have been some more technology in this. I understand the budget was probably low and stuff but come on if a terrorist cell were actually working im sure they would be using some type of GPS or like a RFID or something to keep a track on everyone. any way good movie

a nice concept..

Author: rishabh-bitsgoa from India
26 June 2009

I was actually very keen to watch the movie as the promos were nice and fresh. Just watched it yesterday night on the first day of its release and it lived up to my expectations. the movie is not about the 9/11 ( as the newspapers suggested ) but is about the impact and hardships that follow. Kabir Khan has done a nice job, this one is much better than " Kabul express ". Katrina kaif is stunningly beautiful and does justice to her role. john abraham has done an awesome work, the scenes shown in the promo with john naked and locked up are indeed very intriguing. Niel nitin mukesh has indeed added a nice perspective to the movie. his acting is also up to the mark..... irrfan is as usual great. the storyline and editing may have been a little off the mark but all in all it is a nice film and should be seen.

Good message

Author: AishFan from San Jose, CA, US
1 July 2009

This film had a good message and was well directed. The entire cast gave great performances--even Katrina, who is known for her poor performances. While I don't condone the actions of either terrorists or the U.S. government, I do agree that we have to grow up and stop playing the blame-game or behaving like schoolchildren in a playground fight--violence in return for violence--each attack more vicious and stronger than the one before. Who knows who is responsible--jihadis-->Guantanamo Bay-->Osama-->Cold War-->?? We need to stop spreading hatred, understand other cultures, and become better diplomats for a hopeful, albeit slow, recovery to humanity and justice.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]