IMDb > "Glee" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Glee"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Glee" More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Inconsistency Is The Least Of Glee's Probems

Author: Heisenberg White
21 January 2016

What is 'Glee'? The show is about a Glee Club, but it is meant to be a double meaning about the atmosphere of the show. A show so happy, so fun, so light- hearted that it can only be described in one word: Glee. Except that is incredibly false. Glee is not 'the happiest show on television' as Entertainment Weekly once said back when Glee was at the peak of its cultural phenomenon. It elicits practically any emotion but gleefulness. If anything, it elicits anger, because it is so inconsistent and is plagued so deeply with continuity errors.

But did Glee go wrong? What happened? Greed happened. Laziness happened. Repetition happened. And so many more things. Starting with season two, the songs which were once a mix of new pop songs, show tunes, hip-hip, 70's songs, 80's songs etc, became primarily Top 40 Hits. This is because the producers of Glee realised by performing renditions of songs, people will buy the full song on iTunes. So on the show, each episode the cast would perform about 8 - 12 songs for 90 seconds, with the encouragement to go out and buy the full song that the cast recorded.

Glee became a boring show. There were many things wrong with season two, but during season three, it occurred to me that the show was losing me completely. I don't know if it was because the musical numbers were becoming even more frequent, or the fact that it was becoming an after-school special, or the fact that the characters were terribly written, or its complete inconsistency on everything, or its average acting, or the over-production of almost EVERY SONG, or the stupidness of everything happening on the show, but I clicked out during season three. I soldiered on though. I made it through seasons four, five and it's appalling but final, six. The boredom factor continued throughout the rest of the show.

The worst thing about Glee is the characters. The characters on this show were handled with ways I've never seen before. Take Rachel Berry, the 'protagonist' (a word used VERY lightly) of Glee, an annoying, neurotic, fame-obsessed, unlikable Jewish girl. This was established within ten minutes of Glee. This is a very shallow characterisation but it's fine because it is ten minutes into the first episode. But this character description stays the exact same throughout the whole show with barely any development at all.

Take Will Schuester, the central adult on the show. In season one, he was the kind, inspirational, understanding adult who these kids could come to for advice and caring. He was the teacher everyone wishes they could have. Beginning with season two, he descends into a selfish, loud, unintelligent brute, with slightly creepy and pedophilloic actions towards his students.

Take Sue Sylvester, the 'antagonist' (again, used lightly) of Glee. She's the cheerleading coach of the high school and is enemies with Will. She comes up with various schemes and plans to destroy the Glee club (just because) and destroy Will's reputation and career. This is absolutely fine. Sue is a great villain. Except, WAY too often, she randomly decides, with no rhyme or reason, that she likes Will and likes the Glee Club, and helps them do whatever they do. This leaves Glee without a villain and provides the most bizarre character inconsistencies and incoherency I've ever seen.

The most important character in Glee to understand everything wrong with the show is in fact Tina Cohen-Chang. Tina is an absolute tragedy of a character. She was one of the first characters to 'join' the Glee Club, yet barely ever had a song to sing. Tina was portrayed as the shy, Gothic, Asian girl, who's personality and intelligence was hidden behind a stutter. She was the quiet one of the group. Towards the end of season one, it was revealed she had been faking a stutter for five years so she didn't have to do speeches. It was a terrible and totally unrealistic plot twist and felt very forced. So it turned out she could talk properly, but her dialogue became even less. Throughout season two, she was always there, but never did or said anything. In season three, she had a few songs, but they were always the butt of some unfunny joke. Whenever she had dialogue, it was talk about the fact she was Asian and to enforce racist Asian stereotypes. As the show went on, she became what appeared to be a sexual predator and a bully, which is what she had always faced and what show 'attempted' to address as the worst thing ever. She became a parody of whatever she started out to be and the writers completely assassinated her character entirely.

Overall, Glee is an absolute mess. IMDb doesn't let reviews go over 1000 words, but I've barely scratched the surface of what's wrong with this show. Whether it be the complete insensitivity towards subject matters, the terrible 'homages' of other pop culture works, the fact that by season four the show kept going back to the same well over and over and over again even though it had been dry since season one, characters that would disappear and never appear again even if they were important to plot-lines, story arches that would start with no conclusion, the split story in season four and five, and continuity issues. Put it this way, after watching six seasons, I still have NO IDEA HOW REGIONALS WORK! That is what we're dealing with here people. Glee is totally incoherent!! NBC's Community parodied Glee by repeatedly saying "What The Hell Are Regionals?!" and even after watching the show, I still don't know. Just terrible all around.

Best Episode: Dream On

Worst Episode: Furt

Rating: 2 /5

Grade: C-

OK Show

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
4 January 2016

I decided to see a little bit of Glee and it wasn't that bad as i expected it to be. I liked some of the most regular characters like Sue, Will and even Becky but i couldn't stand Kurt or Rachel annoying drama queens especially Rachel who almost cried in every episode. The songs were great tho and pretty much everyone gave their best self but the writing and the acting on the other hand not so much. I hated the love triangles especially the one of Ryder, Marley and Jake. I think both Melissa Benoist and Blake Jenner did an excellent job with their acting and their songs and they were the best thing about Season 4. Season 4 had a great episode called Shooting Star and the one with Grease and also Season 5 had an episode about Finn and after his death. Even tho it had a lot of issues as a TV show it was still OK and i totally understand the 6.7 that it got here on IMDb.

Good for the right audience

Author: Nina B
9 June 2015

Some people seem to think the show is unrealistic because of auto-tuned voices, songs popping out of seemingly nowhere, everyone being able to sing and/or dance etc. But the goal of this show was not to depict a high- school in a realistic way. For me it's about transmitting feelings using songs, telling a story in a flamboyant fashion. Our lives aren't as exiting as the lives portrayed in this show are, but that exactly makes Glee interesting and worth watching. It's like a fairy tale, but with some real life problems. And although those problems aren't always resolved in a good way, that's the way it is in life. There are some downsides. From season 3 onwards there's been too many characters in Glee, and I found myself skipping through some parts of the story, because these new characters weren't interesting for me to watch. Some music numbers, too, were boring, and some decisions made by adults in the show were not satisfying. Still, Glee is a great choice.

that's a lot of songs that I learned from "Weird Al" Yankovic's spoofs

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
23 March 2015

As someone who was a bit of an outcast in school, "Glee" is pretty interesting for me. Having just binge-watched the first season, I'd say that this look at a collection of high school students participating in the glee club is a good show. As it was, a lot of the songs that they perform I learned from "Weird Al" Yankovic's spoofs (e.g., "Like a Virgin" became "Like a Surgeon").

I'll be eager to see the rest of the series. I like how it develops the characters' personal lives as the show progresses and avoids stereotyped characters. Indeed, I expected Kurt's father to be a hard-ass but he accepts his son's homosexuality. Even the malevolent Sue Sylvester has her own story.

So far I like this show. I'll have to see the following seasons. It's too bad that Cory Monteith died of a drug overdose.

Weekly Shark Jumping

Author: zopop119 from United States
7 February 2015

If you asked me what I felt about this show after the first 3 seasons, I would have told you that it was one of the most entertaining, socially ground breaking, bold and different approaches to a weekly television program in a long time...

But things have gone progressively worse since the 4th season. The musical performances, the guest stars that have come in and really been fun to watch... all have remained good, even as the plot lines deteriorated.

Once the first group of seniors left, I think it was okay to see how their lives were changing. And the parallel story lines from Lima to New York worked a little bit. At the same time you had the kids still there and trying to rework the glee club... But somewhere in that season, things just went the wrong way. By the time you get to Season 5.. reality has just gone out the window. Kids are back and forth to Lima, a lot.. to help perform, etc.. nobody seems to need to earn a living.. The Sue Sylvester antics are getting sillier and sillier.. although very funny.. but really tripping reality big time.

And now Season 6... a total farce. These post adolescents, Rachel, Kurt, Blaine and Sam are... teaching? Mercedes has the time to build a singing career but keeps popping into Lima to sing with 6 kids.. they haven't really even rebuilt a glee club or bothered to develop new characters... Its great they are continuing to deal with all the social issues of the day.. but.. the plot lines have all but collapsed.

In my opinion, the show should have concluded, probably before Cory Monteith's untimely demise, although I feel like the writing changed drastically after that. The show ought to have ended with Rachel triumphant in Funny Girl, Mr Shu getting married and some good tie ups for the rest of the group. Instead.. we have to painfully watch a good show go down the tubes.

Ill stick with it to the end. The music is still the best part. But I keep rolling my eyes at the wide parameters they give to so many of the characters directions. I would have given this a 10 for the first few seasons , but a 4,3,2 for the last 3 ... so a 7 overall.

Heroes Syndrome--Great Season One Then Steadily Gets So Bad, The Cancellation was a Mercy Killing

Author: DMoney1184 from Lehighton, PA
4 September 2015

If you weren't there, it's hard to describe how big Glee Season One was. It was everywhere. Just about everyone loved this show. Your Facebook mini-feed was dominated by conversations about the latest episode. The cast got invited to perform at the White House. After each new episode aired, the songs in that episode would account for 4-6 of the top downloaded songs on I-tunes by the following morning.

Why did Glee Season 1 work so well? The writers clearly had a well-thought out season arc. The 2 stories that stretched the length of the first 11 episodes (or whatever it was, up until the first break) were A) Terri Schuster fakes her pregnancy to keep her husband Will around and Will's anger when he finds out, B) head cheerleader Quinn gets pregnant by her boyfriend Finn's best friend Puck and leads Finn to believe he is actually the father and Finn's road to discovering the truth. It was carefully planned out, how much each episode would advance these 2 plots. Other stories, involving the other characters, would last for one episode each and were well-written and entertaining.

So where did it go wrong? You have to understand, a big part of this show's success surrounded selling compilation albums and, especially, Itunes downloads. So, after a short time, instead of writing a compelling story and then choosing songs that fit the story's needs, regardless of how current or dated they were, they started by looking at what was popular on the radio and on Pandora at the time and then trying to write an episode around them. In one particular episode, there was a truly horrendous plot thread that revolves around one of the characters seeing his class mates as puppets (literal puppets) just to lead up to the final scene containing the popular song "What the Fox Say". This hit song was written initially as a joke but Glee took it so seriously. Instead of setting trends, they started chasing them. Characters began to stray unrecognizably from their characters. Quinn, whose first line of dialogue ever was, "I almost got out of this town!", in a later episode told Rachel Berry in a hussy, "Here's how this works: you're going to go onto Broadway and Finn and I are going to stay here and be together." Matthew Morrison's character, Will Schuster, starts off as a seemingly competent Spanish teacher but then in somewhere about Season 3, there is an episode that writes him as understanding very little about the Spanish language or Latino culture. He apparently got the job because "he needed a teaching job and that's what was available at the time." THAT'S NOT HOW TEACHING WORKS!!!! YOU ACTUALLY NEED A BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF THE MATERIAL YOU ARE TEACHING!!!! It was downright insulting to Morrison's character, the show itself and pretty much, teachers, everywhere, many of whom put a lot of work into remaining up-to-date on the subject matters they teach. Ryan Murphy got overly preachy (ironic, from someone who clearly resents the church to a great deal, based on the episodes certain around talks of religion and the poor, ignorant writing of characters with a religious side) with his far left agenda.

In Season 5, when the show was clearly running on fumes, it was clear the writers had absolutely no new ideas so they began to reuse ideas for the third or fourth time. Sue plans to tear down the Glee club--again. A Puckerman impregnates a cheerleader (or believes himself to, for a short time, I think)--again. The writing and the music just became so awful that I can't bring myself to make it through the series. Season 5 is just unbearable, though, the decline could be seen as early as Season 2. Yeah, for something that was so trend-setting and revolutionary at its inception, almost no one noticed when it ended. It went from "must-watch" t.v. to the very bottom of the ratings. Good riddance.

The Real Problem with Glee

Author: thescribe7 from United States
20 April 2015

Glee is the best worst show ever conceived. One week, you loved it. The next you questioned what kind of dumbass you are for getting sucked into this kind of s**t.

Let's start with the title. Glee. It's a show about releasing yourself. A show that has garnered recognition for being the gayest show on television. Any serious critic shutters to look at it with any self esteem. That right there is a problem with the show. It does look like what critics say. Yet I don't hate the show.

Right off the bat, most anything past the first season is historically awful. There is a self awareness through the whole show but what makes the early episodes stand out is that the characters struggled with teen problems yet we could always laugh at these situations. Finn is a dumbass, Rachel has an ego that needs to be stopped, Kurt is iconically gay, and Quinn struggles with teen pregnancy. All these situations are hard to deal with in real life but are so innocently depicted it makes them funny while not making us feel terrible for struggling with them. It's just a happy show.

The show dwindled into an obscure subject by the time the new characters were introduced. But I want to make the point that it wasn't entirely their fault. Sure a big chunk of it was but it was by no means the reason why nobody cares about the show anymore. People don't care because it doesn't stand for the same message.

The second year was when Glee rightfully deserved its reputation for being a sponsor for gays. I am no homophobe but the problem the show has with this is that it just depicts gays as being gay. Let's shove as many jokes as we can towards these characters as possible. The first season's mentality was to depict all these hefty struggles in an innocent way. The second year was more about a gay love story. By all means, there is nothing wrong with a gay love story I'm just making the point that the show was already straying from its original idea.

By the third year, these gay jokes just look pathetic. We're supposed to laugh at these jokes. Suddenly things aren't as innocent. We are treated to a joke in the third year based around a masculine female football coach. She's a little overweight so "naturally" they thought it would be funny if they had a character say, "I have a tent you can sleep in over at my house." This joke is intended to be funny. That's not innocent. We're supposed to be aware of the fact that some people are different. Then why is that joke played for laughs? Suddenly this show is now on par with the likes of the worst sitcoms imaginable.

A show that started out about these kids that uncomfortable with themselves are now shown doing well choreographed dance moves by the third with no explanation because the past episodes were built around telling something else.

The second year is when the writing went wrong. Not the fourth when the new characters were introduced. Not the third when the jokes just became ignorant. It was the second year when the focus changed. A show about different characters was now becoming the focus for shipping. Let's have characters break up and cheat on each other for no reason.

I give the show a half rating. The one half is based solely on that first season. Just avoid anything after it.

good start but fades in later years

Author: SnoopyStyle
23 March 2015

Spanish teacher Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison) restarts the William McKinley High School glee club. He gathers the misfits and the outcasts of the school. Kurt Hummel (Chris Colfer) is gay. Artie Abrams (Kevin McHale) is wheelchair bound. His best friend Tina Cohen-Chang (Jenna Ushkowitz) pretends to have a stutter. Rachel Berry (Lea Michele) is obsessed to be on Broadway. Mercedes Jones (Amber Riley) sings at church. Sue Sylvester (Jane Lynch) is the diabolical cheerleader coach of the Cheerios who aims to stop the glee club. Finn Hudson (Cory Monteith) is the football quarterback who secretly loves to sing. Santana Lopez (Naya Rivera), Noah Puckerman (Mark Salling), Brittany S. Pierce (Heather Morris), Mike Chang (Harry Shum Jr.) the other Asian and Quinn Fabray (Dianna Agron) all join after changing their minds. Sam Evans (Chord Overstreet) and Blaine Anderson (Darren Criss) join in later seasons. Emma Pillsbury (Jayma Mays) is the guidance counselor with OCD who falls for the married Will Schuester.

This show starts off like a rocket. It's fun. The musical aspect is fun and unusual. The characters are terrific. The cast of unknowns are terrific. It was set up for a good run. However I get the sense that Ryan Murphy was more interested in the music and the dance sequences. The show is more concerned with the guest star rather than playing with the characters. The stories for each character get worn out instead of build upon. The characters never really grew beyond their original intend. The writing took a backseat and Cory Monteith's untimely death harmed it noticeably. The show fades and the last few seasons are rather boring.

It could have been done better

Author: alv790 from Spain
21 March 2015

I'm watching the first season, and although I will stick till the end of the season, that will be all for me. The defects of this show are already too apparent. I like the idea of this series much more than the actual execution.

I like the music (although they abuse the digital enhancements, that make all the voices sound "perfect" but too similar and without personality). I also like the components of underdog individuals and team competing against prejudices and strong rivals.

However, the drama is very low quality and far-fetched. It is really bad among the teenage characters (teenage, although they are played by much older actors), but among the adult characters it's even worse. No one acts or talks or has problems like that in real life.

As a comedy, the scarce best moments are provided by Sue Sylvester (played by Jane Lynch), although again in a very over-the-top manner.

This is an optimistic series, that gave voice to some underrepresented segments of the audience. However, it could have been done better. Enjoy the music and try not to wince too much at the drama.

A once brilliant show went downhill fast!

Author: Eric George
15 April 2014

The first two seasons of Glee were some of the best things to ever grace television. Although after that the show just got really stale. When Glee started it had this uniqueness to it that shined and I'm not to sure where it all went wrong. I think it's because the makers of the show just wanted to start pushing boundaries and create stupid story lines that were rehashed over and over and over again. The show use to be super funny but even that faded away over time. The characters became dumb. I'm don't think I'm even writing a coherent review because that's how 'all over the place' this show has become. I just sum this up easily.

Seasons 1&2 - 10 stars

anything after that-has it's good moments but still an utter train wreck. 3 stars