IMDb > Ben 10: Alien Swarm (2009) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ben 10: Alien Swarm

Ben 10: Alien Swarm (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A sequel that out-does the first in every way!!!

Author: asuddragon from United States
26 November 2009

At first after seeing the first Ben 10 movie(live action), I thought it was horrible and that Cartoon Network can't do a better job for a sequel...well, I was wrong!!!

Ben 10 Alien Swarm out-does the first film in every way, such as: Action,Special Effects, CGI, and Acting. And the characters fit so well with their cartoon counterparts, It actually felt like I was watching Ben 10!!!

Another thing that surprised me is that this did not make it into theaters!!

How the heck can Hollywood bring crap like Dragonball Evolution to the big screen and not Ben 10 Alien Swarm?

I say forget what you saw in the first Ben 10 movie, and start fresh with the new one, and if you like Ben 10, your going to like Ben 10 alien swarm!!!

Definitely better than Race against Time

Author: helmutty from Singapore
28 November 2009

I was one of the few who enjoyed the cheesy first live-action movie of Ben 10, Race against Time. 2 years later, they produced another live-action movie, Alien Swarm. Alien Swarm is quite different from the first movie. This is more serious, has realistic special effects and better acting. I admit that in the first movie, the acting is horrible. Now, Alien Swarm is the more serious adaptation of the popular cartoon Ben 10.

The story: It is fairly simple so that kids will enjoy it and not care about anything else. Everything in the movie is quite good compared to the first one. The only thing disappointing is the lack of aliens. Even the first one which has a low budget can afford to have four aliens. This has a higher budget which is why the special effects look more realistic.

Overall: It is a fun ride. With a brisk pace and action, this is quite entertaining and enjoyable. Its' short runtime makes the movie faster pace. I am not a Ben 10 fan but I hope there will be another movie. This is so much better than the first one.

Ben 10 vs Killer Mind-Controlling BioMechanical Bees from another galaxy

Author: xamtaro from
26 December 2009

After the entertaining but horrendously executed "Ben 10: Race Against Time", Ben 10: Alien Swarm is a huge improvement. Not only does it boast higher production values and better directing, but it effectively captures both the look and the spirit of the original animated series in live action form. The movie also manages to up the ante on the action, making for a truly epic story but with a couple of flaws.

Set after the events of the "Ben 10: Alien Force" animated series, the movie starts with the main characters Ben, Gwen and Kevin about to bust some illegal dealers who are trying to sell alien nanotechnology. One of those dealers is revealed to be Elena Validus, a childhood friend of Ben and daughter of a disgraced ex-"PLUMBER" Victor Validus. (For those who have not watched the animated series, "PLUMBERS" are an anti-alien defense agency). Now her father has mysteriously gone missing and Elena needs Ben's help. Suddenly the alien technology springs to life and takes the form of a vast mechanical swarm. Following a brief scuffle with the swarm and a short malfunction of Ben's omnitrix, our heroes must uncover a secret alien plot to turn human beings into mindless drones. One lead lies in an old secret involving Victor Validus and Ben's own Grandpa Max.

The underlying mystery subplot blends nicely into the ongoing narrative as Ben, Gwen and Kevin race to stop this evil biomechanical swarm from turning the entire human population into mindless zombies. No doubt a little on the cheesy side, the story fits in well with the feel of the animated TV series while giving the illusion of a Hollywood summer blockbuster.

Although the film sacrifices emotional depth in favor of explosive action, Director Alex Winters spares no expense in those action scenes. The car and motorcycle chase scenes deserve special mention as they look really good, even better than some big budget popcorn flicks. Ben's trademark alien transformations are kept to only 3 scenes thanks to a malfunctioning omnitrix but the fact that those scenes take place at night or under low lighting make the otherwise cheap looking CGI seem a lot better than it actually is.

The character of Ben does undergo a good deal of development throughout the course of the movie while keeping the themes of responsibility and growing up established in the animated series. The cast play their parts very well with only the actress for Gwen looking a little uncomfortable with her role at times.

"Ben 10 Alien Swarm" is not free of a few nitpicks however. The entire first half of the film plays out like a "Goosebumps" movie. Essentially it is "Ben 10 and gang VS mindless mind-controlled zombies". Thankfully the second half picks up the pace. Also, new viewers looking to jump into the Ben 10 storyline and fandom would be left confused by the lack of character introductions and explanation of technical terms as the film zooms from one setting to the next that only a keen follower of the animated series canon would be able to recognize and appreciate fully. An inclusion of a booklet or featurette that introduces the characters and explains "the story so far" would have been a much appreciated addition to this DVD release.

Though a little inaccessible to newcomers, Ben 10 Alien Swarm is an enjoyable action adventure and a faithful adaptation that is sure to satisfy existing fans who were disappointed by the previous live action movie. It is not the best among live action adaptations of animated series, but definitely far from being among the worst.

There are worse ways to kill 90 minutes

Author: wwgrayii
29 November 2009

A very effective "B" movie, way better in every possible way than the previous live action "Ben 10." The directing, acting, production design and visual effects are considerably improved this time around, very nice indeed for a low-budget cable film. Clearly, the filmmakers actually tried to make a decent film (take note, Sy-Fy). Sure, the script is pretty much by-the-numbers and contains no surprises, but you can't really expect top-notch screen writing in a picture like this.

If this turns out to be a ratings success, I wouldn't mind seeing live action versions of some of Cartoon Networks other series, such as "The Secret Saturdays."

Better than Ben 10: Race Against Time

Author: bobojiggler from Iowa
26 November 2009

Cartoon Network definitely learned from their first Ben 10 live action movie. The special effects, acting, and action are better. What I didn't like about the movie is how Grandpa Max and other characters have such a hard time believing Elena. I would have rather liked them to have chose a character from Ben's past that has previously appeared in the series and not a character that appeared in Ben's past, but not in the series. Even with that, Elena is a good character and it's awesome when she fights. My favorite scene is when Ben 10 transforms into Nanomech and fights the queen. If there is a live action Ben 10 film for the coming up series, I hope that it is as good as this or better. When this comes out on DVD, I want to own it.

loved it

Author: jabbadanutt from United Kingdom
22 November 2010

I sat and watched this film for (ahem) the kids and i loved it, being a secret Ben 10 fan (shhh, don't tell my sons) it delivered on so many levels. I loved the portrayal of all the characters especially Kevin Levin, brilliant. The story flowed well, and was consistently interesting. However, i felt the character of Elena a little, annoying, and the fact that all was forgiven with her father...not great, after all if he hadn't have been tampering with the chips...but hey its a kid film, and needs to be positive. They are my only complaints regarding the film.

I loved the car chase scene with Kevin and Gwen in the dodge with the chips following them, great scene. The film is filled with technology, cars, and action. What more can you ask for? Its funny, and well written with witty one liners. So if you want an easy to watch film, that is easy going, and exciting, give Alien Swarm a go, it wont disappoint

good, with only one minor set back.

Author: Sabreep21
27 November 2009

I thought that this movie was great, anyone who's a fan of Ben Ten Alien Force would totally enjoy this movie. From the acting to the special effects this movie really delivers. The casting director and the hair/make-up/costume crew did a great job making everyone look like the actual cartoon characters (although, Grandpa Max didn't really fit, and Gwen's top didn't fit the actress well).

The only REAL issue I have with this movie was that fact that it was so predictable and that the writers didn't do anything to create any sort of twist (but then again what do you expect it's a TV movie). I totally think that this series would rock as a feature film.

Not good, but better than the other movie

Author: bluhmfamily from United States
29 December 2010

In 2008, when I first saw the brief preview for Ben 10: Alien Swarm, I though, "oh no, they are not making a stupid and horrible movie of Ben 10: Alien Force, not the better series". In early 2009 is when I saw more previews for Ben 10: Alien Swarm, I thought that it didn't look that bad.

In summer 2009, I was waiting for a preview to show some aliens in it besides Nanomech (I already found out due to the movie set in the toy line), than on Youtube, I saw a trailer with Big Chill and Humungousaur in it.

I was really waiting for the movie, when it finally was on, I jumped into my seat with joy. When it was over, I was a little disappointed but I said to my father; "It wasn't good, but definitely better than Ben 10: Race against Time" I give Ben 10: Alien Swarm a 6 out of 10 because it's better than the original.

Never too late to make a Ben 10: Ultimate Alien movie.

Outdoes Race Against Time in every way

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
9 March 2011

Alien Swarm is not as good as the cartoons series Ben 10, Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, but in every way it outdoes the disappointing-but-better-than-its-reputation Race Against Time. While the pace could have steadied a bit and it is lacking a bit in emotional depth particularly in the first half(though Ben does develop very well), the direction is far more assured and the actors fit the parts much better and feel more comfortable.

The production values are also an improvement, the photography, lighting and locations are very reasonable for a TV movie, and the effects are pretty great, especially with Big Chill and in the finale. The soundtrack is rousing, the script has its humorous and thought-provoking moments, the story unfolds very nicely with a strong underlying mystery and the action is well-choreographed particularly in the chase sequences.

Overall, a surprisingly good film and outdoes Race Against Time in every way. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Better Than The First

Author: j_mulgrew from United States
2 April 2013

I didn't think a live action feature length adaptation of an animated show could get any worse than M. Night Shymalan's dismal 2010 "Last Airbender". That is until I saw the first twenty minutes of "Ben-10: Race against Time." I couldn't make myself watch the rest. So I didn't really have high hopes for "Alien Swarm" the first time I took a look at it; (which was only a few weeks ago). After the same twenty minutes had passed, I was hooked. Unlike "Race against Time," or "The Last Airbender", This movie is well written, well directed,and wonder of wonders, actually stars good actors. (O.K. Lee Majors was good as Grandpa Max in the first film, but he was the only one.)