IMDb > Hulk Vs. (2009) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hulk Vs.

Hulk Vs. (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Booya...now this is how it's done!

Author: Geekofriendly from Slovenia
18 January 2009

(a review of "Hulk vs. Wolverine")

It's like a 13 year old boy's dream come true.

Except I'm 26 and probably enjoyed this movie even more so. It easily and confidently outdoes both the (imo) lacklustre "X-men" and "Hulk" movie franchise in a decent half an hour runtime, and the end result is truly jaw-dropping at times.

Production values are sky-high, with the animation surpassing even the original 90's "X-men" cartoon series, while the shere style, atmosphere and boldness are pure perfection. And kudos to the musical score for taking a life of its own and sounding like something most contemporary big-budget composers would be proud to call their own work...yes, this movie delivers BIG-TIME!

The story is simple but effective, and the ending fits in perfectly. To me this was like a piece of "The Animatrix" in the Marvel universe, and I absolutely loved it for that...it just feels so permanent and despite being short it's still powerful and makes you believe like it belongs to a bigger picture.

I can only hope to see more of This bigger picture, Marvel has truly outdone itself!

"Hulk vs. Wolverine" 9/10

"Hulk vs. Thor" 7/10

Overall 8/10

Best Animated films to have ever come from Marvel.

Author: mavsingh from United Arab Emirates
19 January 2009

whats more to say about this. normally these marvel cartoons are too kiddy-fied for the kids, but these cartoons are something special especially the Hulk Vs Wolverine film. You get to see everything in here, blood, limbs being sliced off etc. By far this is the most entertaining cartoon to watch and due to its more mature content the grown-ups will enjoy it too.

The Hulk vs Thor is in my opinion not as good or as violent as the Hulk vs Wolverine cartoon but its still worth watching to get to know more about the characters on Thor's side of the Marvel universe.

Lenght of the cartoons may be short at 40 mins each but these are all out action packed with less talk and more smashing.

The Real Wolverine!

Author: WallyDee from Netherlands
3 February 2009

Just read that someone thought that Hulk vs Thor was the better one from the two. I respectfully disagree, and why?

Hulk vs Wolverine shows us what and who Wolverine ACTUALLY and REALLY is, a killer!!! And I think that's what everyone has forgotten after seeing Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine so many times. (for the record, I like Hugh Jackman very much)

When I heard off the Hulk fighting Wolverine, I thought to myself how in the hell is Wolverine going to fight the Hulk. Again we forgot that Wolverine is actually a small little guy but that he is incredibly fast!! And that His Adamantium claws can cut true EVERYTHING, plus that he is not afraid to use them!!!!

And again I say that's what Hulk vs Wolverine showed us, because he uses his claws against ANYONE who stands in his way.

I actually didn't review the movies by saying this...But you must have noticed by now that I liked Hulk vs Wolverine very much.

As for Hulk vs Thor, I also liked that one very much! Its more about honor and stuff like that. Less bloody but indeed some more action all involving the Hulk! Thor as well as The Hulk get their asses kicked.

I give them both a 9 out of 10 Enjoyed them both very much! (like I always write) sorry for any misspells, Im dutch :)

A Fun Animated Masterpiece... Hulk VS Wolverine is REMARKABLE

Author: Harmon from United States
28 January 2009

Holy Cow! There's been no other animation, Marvel or otherwise, that I've enjoyed this much. Hulk VS Thor is an excellent feature (even though I think they made Hulk a little too powerful in this storyline because Asgard and Thor himself needed to be depicted as putting up a better fight) but Hulk VS Wolverine is THE best 33 minutes I've ever seen, period. It made me feel like a kid again. Maybe I was a warped kid because I've always clamored for Wolverine to draw blood with his claws like he does in the books and he does so and then some in this gritty animated feature. Including his three greatest villains (Sabretooth, Deathstrike and Omega Red) as well as Deadpool is a masterful stroke. (Deadpool is done right and cracks you up at every turn) All the characters (including the Hulk) have advanced healing factors and this adds to the carnage and destructive fun. Who is the most unstoppable and who will survive this battle royale? It features THE best comic book type battles but strings together enough story to make it believable and powerful. Finally, a comic book brought to life without the need to dumb it down or overly censor the action.

I truly hope that Marvel/Lionsgate makes more animated films exactly like Hulk VS Wolverine. On one of the cool bonus features, one of the makers of these films floated the idea of Avengers VS X-Men. Get on that ASAP and use the exact same format, writers and talent you used to make Hulk VS Wolverine. A genuine THANK YOU goes out to them for crafting together this fun, animated masterpiece. Both my inner child and my adult sensibilities were rewarded by this DVD. I can't recommend this highly enough.

All you fans of ole' "Jade Jaws", this ones for you!

Author: BloodStone from United States
31 January 2009

The DVD has two relatively short stories, Hulk vs Thor & Hulk Vs Wolverine. Hulk vs Thor is the best of the two & the action is off the charts. The story is well conceived & well executed & the animation is good (not great but good). I'd give a brief synopsis of Hulk vs Thor but I'm afraid it would give to much of the plot away.

Hulk Vs Wolverine,is also pretty good in its' own right, but the fight scenes between Hulk & Wolverine aren't nearly as extensive as in Hulk vs Thor. And much of the story has to do more with Wolverine, his past & all the troubles that come with it (meaning SaberTooth, Lady DeathStrike, etc..). The ending is quite inconclusive & kind of a disappointment. And in case anybody is thinking "kiddie cartoon", guess again! It's got plenty of blood & violence to warrant it's PG-13 rating. Definitely one for the fans.

Rating 9 Large Green Fists out of 10

Hulk Vs Wolverine = THE best animated 40 minutes EVER.

Author: scotts863 from Mellowtown
29 April 2009

I really enjoyed Hulk Versus Wolverine. This pre X-Men Wolverine is the Wolverine I love. I've used this colloquialism before but "X marks the spot" and there are plenty of big action scenes throughout this amazing animated movie that it has to be called spectacular. Wolverine goes ballistic in a good way and the introduction of Omega Red, Deathstrike and Deadpool makes for an intriguing watch. It's action with a nice mix of smarts and fun. We FINALLY get to see Wolverine draw blood in animated form. I was so tired of him tying in to robots and walls. Some of this stuff is right out of the comics. Adherence to the source material, whenever possible, works well in this case. It more then works as a movie.

Hulk Versus Thor was pretty good even though I feel they made the Hulk too strong in that film. Asgardians like Hogun and Balder shouldn't be treated like tissue paper. It's Hulk Versus Wolverine that's the real treat. Simply Superb.

Marvel's best animated DVD yet.

Author: colonel_green from Charlottetown, Canada
27 January 2009

Generally, I've not found Marvel's D-T-DVD stuff released so far to be that impressive, but these both really worked, in terms of what they set out to do.

Starting out, I'd say that the Hulk is really just kind of there in both stories; he's worked into the plot, but in both cases the writers basically hijacked the initial idea (Hulk vs. Wolverine, Hulk vs. Thor) to tell some other story. In Wolverine it's "finally, we get to do an R-rated version of Weapon X", and in Thor it's "finally, we get to cram in absolutely every aspect of the Thor mythos that we have any interest in onto animation" (which, given that there's both an animated series and a second D-T-DVD which is trailed here, may have been a bit unnecessary, but it's still good).

Part I: Hulk vs. Wolverine

Basically a big fight scene. Wolverine is called in by Department H to deal with a rampaging Hulk, who has seemingly destroyed an entire town along the US-Canadian border. Wolverine tracks the Hulk down (not really knowing what he is at this point), fights him, and basically fights to a draw (this is the 70s-era version that Wolverine was created to fight), and then are captured by Weapon X (which apparently isn't associated with Department H here). This story is tied into the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon, so Wolverine, Banner, Sabretooth, and Professor Thornton all have the same voice actors; also here are Lady Deathstrike, Omega Red, and Deadpool. Thornton wants Wolverine back in the program, but Deathstrike and Sabretooth would rather kill him, so they stab Thornton and, well, try to kill him. Big fight, etc. The attraction here is seeing "claw people" (as Hulk calls them) stab each other a lot with blood and stuff; Deadpool's quite funny.

Part II: Hulk vs. Thor

Starting out, I'll say that fans of Thor who were expecting an epic throwdown between the two will be disappointed here; this might more accurately be titled "Hulk walks all over Thor, and so Thor has to find some other way of stopping the Hulk". I personally have never found the uber-godmoder Hulk all that interesting, but it's an established thing, so there you go; getting past that, the story's pretty good, and if you like Thor's world pretty everybody is here.

The story takes place during the yearly Odinsleep, when the All-Father rests and all the villains try to conquer Asgard because Odin is absurdly powerful and they've only got a chance when he's not there. Thor and co. beat up all comers, as usual (Thor's getting rather depressed by this endless cycle). Loki and Enchantress capture Bruce Banner, and turn him into the Hulk; Amora then pulls Banner out the Hulk (and Loki kills him), leaving only the incarnate rage (see Hulk #300 in the early 80s), with Loki pulling the strings. However, the rage becomes too much and breaks Loki's control, and Rage-Hulk is loosed and starts destroying everything. He beats up the Warriors Three and Balder, then pummels Thor to death (to Loki's delight), and heads off towards the city; Hela is about to claim Thor's soul, but Enchantress intervenes and brings him back to life, since her whole motivation for helping Loki was she was angry that Thor chose Sif over her. Thor and Enchantress capture Loki, and Thor makes Loki go with him to Hel to reclaim Banner to put him back in the Hulk, and sends Enchantress to help Sif, who's the End Boss guarding Odin. So Thor and Loki journey thither, while Hulk punches his way through like a bajillion random guards, Brunnhilde and the other Valkyries, etc. on his way there.

As a tour of the Nine Worlds, it packs quite a lot into 40+ minutes (it's the longer of the two); both of these stories just drop you into an established world, which is refreshingly different from how a lot of these films do things; you pick up all the necessary information as you go along.

Two Awesome histories, Two Awesome animations

Author: roloarenas from Mexico
16 January 2009

I was doubtful of the quality of this new marvel animated movies,(just a thought... Wolverine movie hype) but i'm glad i was so wrong. This is a really epic animation, Lionsgate really nailed this time. Adapting the old comics to this new times, with a respectful script for the fans, super-b music, sound effects and animation quality.

First: Vs. Wolverine, Hulk has been tearing a line across the Canadian countryside, leaving a swath of destruction in his wake. He has to be stopped, and there's only one man up to the job. He's the best there is at what he does, but what he does isn't very nice. He's Wolverine, an elite agent of Canada's top secret Department H, and he's been put on Hulk's trail with a single objective: stop the green Goliath...at all costs. Hulk and Wolverine are about to enter the fiercest battle of their lives.

Second Part: Vs. Thor: Asgard, realm of the gods. For ages, Loki the trickster has sought a way to bring defeat to his accursed stepbrother, Thor. But for all the battles Thor has fought, in all the nine realms, only one creature has ever been able to match his strength - a mortal beast of Midgard known as The Incredible Hulk. Now, with Odin, the almighty king of the gods, deep in a regenerative sleep, and the forces protecting Asgard at their weakest, Loki is finally ready to spring his trap. In an epic battle that will pit gods against monsters, that will test a hero's limits more than ever before, only The Mighty Thor can hope to prevail.

This is really close to be the best marvel cartoon ever made along side with Dr.Strange. If you are a true fan of marvel comics, please don't miss the chance to see this movie duo.

The ultimate Marvel animated movie!

Author: John Lindsey from Albuquerque New Mexico
22 March 2009

"Wolverine vs. Hulk" deals with the popular Canadian superhero mutant with the Adamantium claws known only as Wolverine as he is down in Canada tracking down a huge destructive creature. He discovers Bruce Banner who's alter-ego is reveled for Wolverine battles with the unstoppable monster but after that both get kidnapped by a mad professor with Sabretooth and friends for experimentation but can they both struggle to escape? "Thor vs. Hulk" is about Bruce Banner kidnapped from Earth by Loki as the diabolical fiend wants to use his alter ego as a weapon to destroy his half-brother the mighty god Thor. Loki separates Banner from Hulk as the monster goes on a rampage through Asguard and an epic battle between god and monster begins.

An outstanding and wonderfully animated action-packed double feature of a flick that truly satisfies Marvel fans. The "Wolverine" story is the most action packed and bloodiest of the two stories yet gory for a PG-13 rated movie, now "Thor" is a fantasy epic tale that has the mighty god of thunder reintroduced in animation in a cool new way. The film is too violent and intense for younger kids but older kids, teens and adults would enjoy watching this terrific animated romp even hardcore Marvel fanatics will have a blast with this roller-coaster ride of excitement.

A must see!

Vs Wolverine is the clear winner, but Vs. Thor has some merit as well

Author: movieman_kev from United States
16 February 2009

Hulk Vs. Thor has Loki, the god of mischief controlling the Hulk by separating the green behemoth from Bruce Banner and having him rage across Asgard while Odin sleeps. This fight was a bit one-sided and neither Thor nor Loki can really hope to contain the Hulk. But I found it to be an entertaining watch none the less. Can't help but feel it went on a tad too long though.

Hulk Vs. Wolverine is shorter (no pun intended as to Logans diminutive size) but is better in my opinion. With cameos by Lady Deathstrike, Sabertooth, Omega Red & Deadpool fans of the comics will get a kick out of this violent little tale. The Hulk himself doesn't get as much face-time as he did in 'Vs. Thor' , but when he does unleash it's a thing of beauty to behold.

My Grade: B-

DVD Extras: Vs. Thor & Vs Wolverine Commentaries both by writers Craig Kyle & Chris Yost; a first look at Thor: Tales of Asgard; a first look at Wolverine and the X-men; video game trailers for the Iron man & Hulk games; and trailers for Disaster Movie, Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2, The Invincible Iron Man, Next Avengers, Speed Racer: the original show, Speed Racer the Next Generation: Fast Track, the Wolverine and the X-Men Nicktoon show, Doctor Strange, Shaun the Sheep: Off the Baa

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]