IMDb > "Childrens Hospital" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Childrens Hospital"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Childrens Hospital" More at IMDbPro »

Hiiiilariousss!! Original, Goofy, Short and Sweet!

Author: actiondallas from Philly, PA
20 March 2011

Children's Hospital is great fun, especially for those of us with short attention spans. The jokes come and go faster than you can laugh at them. Don't expect the next Sopranos, but be ready for something you haven't seen anything like. It is only ten to twelve minute episodes so how could you not give it a shot. It's satirical humor shot on the set of scrubs is of the best medical spoof comedy I have ever seen! All episodes can be found online, youtube for example, and is also now on demand. If you are into anything on Adult Swim definitely check out Children's Hospital it is one of the best shows they have put out thus far.....

Finally! A hilarious show with well written punch lines.

Author: goatmetal-1 from United States
25 July 2010

Much better than I thought it would be. The jokes were well written and executed. There's actually original ideas here that they play with even into other episodes. The thing I really like is that (so far), they seem to be not holding back on how far a joke can go or even as to what subject matter. I hate shows where they have to be careful not to upset a certain group of people. There's also a wide range of celebrities appearing in the show. It even looks as though Henry Winkler will be a regular in the show. At least that's what I got from watching the upcoming scenes from the trailer. EXCELLENT!!! Finally a comedy that's well written, and that I can look forward to upcoming episodes.

show is spectacular in the sphere it operates in...no pun intended.

Author: lopymaxyman from United States
5 December 2012

Children's Hospital, Rob Corddry's ridiculous brain child, is not going to be every person's cup of tea. The comedy and subsequent dynamic of the show is so backwards and frivolous that it takes a certain kind of sense of humor, one could say a versatile one, in order to truly enjoy it. I like to believe that certain kinds of comedy, Children's Hospital for example, are not found funny for two reasons: one, it may actually miss the mark and not be funny, or, second, this is most common, people do not find things funny because they do not actually have a sense of humor.

There are countless things in Children's Hospital that people can write off as stupid, moronic, dumb, or contrived, but what else are you looking for from a comedy? This is not Frasier, this is not a comedy that has set out to reinvent the wheel and adapt a doctoral parody into the most clever and brilliant show in existence, and it is imperative that the audience understands that. This is Rob Corddry and Rob Huebel we are talking about, both hysterical actors with impeccable timing and comedic talents, but neither of which will be accepting an Oscar any time soon. Each show, movie, film, or other piece of performance art is relative in its own right. Children's Hospital is no different. If I want to thoroughly enjoy myself, belly laugh at length, and follow some of the most ludicrously bumbling characters I've come across, I watch this show. When I want something with depth, drama, and consistent cleverness I watch Modern Family or Parks and Recreation.

This show is spectacular in the sphere it operates in...no pun intended.

A Hospital Show that's ACTUALLY funny

Author: russb216 from United States
21 August 2010

Seriously, when I watch Scrubs, I literally fall asleep in my chair. The humor is so dry and the acting so stale, the dialogue so predictable that after watching a dozen episodes, I just gave up, realizing that the show was neither dramatic enough nor humorous enough and especially not creative enough for my tastes. (I'm not here to bash Scrubs, it was just the only other hospital comedy I've seen)

But when Children's Hospital comes on: the clever use of politically incorrect humor, the exceptional use of situational, dramatic/tragic, and verbal Irony; the ability to turn what would be a tragic situation into an absolutely hysterical - a purely funny brand of hospital humor. However, it's not a show for everyone, as it may be pushing the boundaries too far for some: perhaps too absurd and too hysterical while often seeming devilish or distasteful - some people don't pick up on the satire or irony too well, but yakno', what can I say? As an Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Venture Bros., Always Sunny, and Futurama fan, I generally appreciate a more absurd, creative, and unpredictable sense of humor.

With the show comes voiceovers that are actually witty and funny, instead of Zach Braff's monotonus and predictable monologues; clever characters, and excellent use of satire, I would highly recommend this to anyone ready to watch with an open mind.

hilarious

Author: gjamesgames from minnesnowta
28 April 2015

This show puts most comedies to shame in my opinion. The smallest details in this show are responsible for non-stop hilarity in the action packed ten-minute episodes. The writing and actors are perfect, and they only get better as the show moves along. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to have a few laughs. I promise you will watch the first season in one sitting. For comedy lovers everywhere. This is a must see.

What makes this show so funny? Its a lot of the little things done well. Characters are developed through obscene and random interactions with each other. Many aspects of the show are so abstract you really just have to laugh at the world they are creating. Character synergy started out great but only got better. Just watch and start laughing for yourself. Cheers

better late than never

Author: brian_dines from United States
6 January 2014

I just started watching this show in 2013 ... I live in Europe and don't always get the latest of everything, but in short I've found this show very, very fun to watch. The director/cast are clearly trying to deliberate (in a fun way) confuse the audience, particularly during the "previously on Children's Hospital ..." bit, but it just adds to the laughs if you ask me.

The show's almost like a very abbreviated (only 11 minutes per episode) version of the old spoof show Police Story, but this does even better, mocking ER, House, Grey's and Scrubs - all of which had it coming. There's even a faint reference to St. Elsewhere if you're old enough to remember that.

So glad I found this to fill the void left by 30 Rock. Lake Bell is hysterical. I hate Rom/Coms, but I'd watch one if she was in it.

Funniest show on television

Author: Ben Smith
17 June 2015

This show is super strange a bit of an acquired taste, the first time my friend showed me this i was like, what the f*@# am i watching, but it grows on you so fast and soon becomes your favorite thing ever. No other show can be this smart and this dumb at the same time. All of the jokes are so meta, they hit on so many levels. Its a TV show about a TV show about a children's hospital, that likes to remind you that its a TV show. Sometimes i have to pause it because i am laughing so hard that i can't breathe and i start choking.

And its not even the fact that this show is so funny, its surreal, like some sort of salvador dali greys anatomy acid trip... And it makes a kind of social commentary at times, that is just... Well how do i describe it? One episode they are spoofing the whole Cyrano thing, with the friend around the corner whispering you advice trope, only they keep outsourcing their advice so it becomes one giant game of telephone, only to reveal later that the girl he has been trying to woo has been doing the same exact thing. My favorite episode was the season 5 finale where the whole thing is shot with this hilarious but also super well shot and dramatic sequence, which captures both the emotional essence of something truly moving, as well as the comedic infusion of something created to parody that genre. Not to mention Kat accidentally saying "i love you, bye" while calling in a bomb threat. Her delivery, priceless. Or the episode where its supposed to be a parody of a live 3 camera show only it ends in a complete disaster.

Just watch it.

One of the Greatest Shows of All Time

Author: Ben Hinman from United States
2 November 2013

I don't think there was a single episode of this show yet that i didn't like. Children's hospital has that goofy screwball humor that is one part spoof and one part just complete ridiculousness. It makes fun of pretty much every hospital show as well as other genres of television, featuring random people who just start making out at the randomest times, comically pedestrian ideas about modern medicine and plays on just about every movie cliché ever. Its like a batshît crazy ode to really really bad television and all the hilariously idiotic things it brings. They break the 4th wall in the most entertaining way and this is literally a TV show within a TV show, Rob Coddry plays Cutter Spindell who plays Blake Downs. The show alludes to the fact that its shot in Brazil or Japan making no effort to hide that its shot in Los Angeles. They even use the famous Korean bell of friendship in San Pedro as B roll to make it seem like they've moved across the seas. I think pretty much every one of the characters has died at least once only to be brought back in the most elaborately confusing way possible, everyone in the cast has screwed everyone else at least once, sometimes all in the same episode. They open each episode with "previously on children's hospital" referencing irrelevant events that never actually happened on the show and frequently draw attention to their intentional mistakes in storytelling, like the fact that they have an OBGYN in a children's hospital or a fake "live show" that totally ends in a train wreck.

This show is pure comedy gold and i suggest everyone in the world watches it. Its probably the only show in the world that made a fake spin off as a joke that actually get it picked up as a full series. Make that TWO shows. NTSF::SD:SUV is absolutely hilarious especially in its recent seasons, however, the Newsreaders spin off is more just a ripoff of onion news and they try way too hard.

If you're still not convinced, just watch this scene and you'll understand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG8RksCfxcw

Hilarious

Author: bkbirge from United States
3 September 2013

This show is all kinds of great. I just caught the first 2 seasons on Netflix and if they continued on in that vein then it's a classic for sure. You have to be a fan of deadpan absurdity to enjoy this but if that's your cup of tea you are in for a treat. Highly recommended, the "live" episode in season 2 has got to be one of the best.

This is raunchy without showing any skin and the jokes are all very much for adults. Make sure the kiddies are in bed when watching. The writing doesn't hit on all cylinders all the time but when it does it's comedy gold.

If you are a fan of skit based wackiness then you will like this.

One of TV's Top Comedies!

Author: theace7777 from Chicago, IL
8 September 2013

This show is the greatest, and is up there with the likes of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia", "Arrested Development", and "Workaholics". I have no idea how they managed to assemble such a huge and talented cast, but I will just enjoy it and not ask questions! If you have been exposed to the comedy of the Upright Citizen's Brigade theater, or Comedy Bang! Bang!, then you will absolutely love this show. You owe it to yourself to at least try out the second season. The writer's are fantastic as well, and my personal favorite is "Give a Painted Brother a Break" written by the immensely funny Paul Scheer. I hope Adult Swim has the good sense to hold on to this series for as long as possible.