The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1
Page 10 of 46: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Forever is only the beginning..ain't that the truth?

Author: Jackpollins from United States
6 December 2011

Roger Ebert, one of the most widely beloved film critics once had a quote about the infamous Larry Bishop gangster spoof Mad Dog Time. That quote went "''Mad Dog Time'' is the first movie I have seen that does not improve on the sight of a blank screen viewed for the same length of time." That's how I ultimately feel about The Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 1. It is a terrible film that, despite its best efforts, turns into a big pile of nothingness. What did the filmmakers want to accomplish here? Well, there are a couple thing such as money, cabbage, and oh yeah, dough. This film was made on the assumption that millions of teenage girls are going to throw down their allowance to go see it. As I went to a public theater to see this and not an advanced screening, their assumptions was right. I was the only male in the theater. No boyfriends, husbands, males by themselves, ETC. May I also mention that there was a very limited range of females under 16 in the theater. Seriously, who thinks of this crap? This film can be summed up in a simple, short explanation-it's a soap opera made for young women instead of middle aged women. I'm not trying to sound sexist or derogatory but this is the way the world works..movies are made specifically for teenage girls to throw their allowance down. Unfortunately, this one, like most of them is petrifying to watch.

Oh my God, not this s**t again!!!!

Author: Plamena Berberova from Bulgaria
5 December 2011

Is that incredibly , boring and stupid movie is still on?! Who the hell likes it?! It is a mess. They are still selling this stupid story with no line... absolutely waste of money and time. The actors- CAN'T ACT ,for God , give me 5 dollars and I will play better that anyone of them. Of course I am not Kristen no emotions Stewart.I can't believe that in every freaking scene she has got ONE face emotion-BORED AS HELL. And this stupid movie with actors who has no sense of acting , have little idiot fans who make them stars. Sorry but I can't accept that not gifted actors will have millions while there are so many poor but talented people.Such a waste for the cinema ... my opinion - DON'T WATCH THIS NONSENSE!

Drawn-out prequel to the final chapter

Author: Greg Smith from Richmond, VA
24 November 2011

WEEKLY MOVIE REVIEW : TWILIGHT : BREAKING DAWN – PART ONE

MINI-REVIEW : Drawn-out prequel to the final chapter

RATING : Wait for the instant download – if you must (Rating System: "Watch it in theaters", "Wait for the instant download", "Don't waste your time")

Bella (Kristen Stewart) and Edward (Robert Pattinson) are back and they are going to get married. The marriage goes off without a hitch. While Jacob (Taylor Laughtner) is a bit put out, he makes his peace with it. That is until he learns that Bella plans to let Edward make a woman of her before getting turned into a vampire. "He'll kill you," he warns as he knows vampires go into a frenzy during "maritals" (we guess).

But Edward is able to restrain himself and only manages to wreck the bedroom. Strangely, Bella becomes pregnant in the short time they are on honeymoon – and the fetus (baby) is growing rapidly. And we're off...

I recently watch the first three incarnations of the "Twilight" series at home before going to the theater to see "Breaking Dawn". I thought they were pretty unimpressive stories, but easy to sit through. Breaking Dawn, however, suffers from the fact that it is a mere set-up for the final chapter. There just wasn't enough material to make a full movie. To its credit, the movie pretty much stands on its own with a good beginning, middle, and conclusion. But the scenes that get us to that conclusion are excruciatingly protracted. This movie lasted two hours and could easily have fit in half that time.

There are a number of huge plot holes in this film. Like, why doesn't anyone in the Cullen coven realize that vampire/human sex could create a fast-growing embryo? I mean, the head of the clan is a doctor. The other problems I have would spoil things for you – but at some point I would suggest you ask yourself how digestion works in the "Twilight" world.

The real standout in this film, however, was Taylor Laughtner as werewolf Jacob Black. His character is a truly epic hero. He undergoes a transformation from loner to protector and without giving too much away, I expect we'll see him become a leader in the next film. And Laughtner delivers some really solid performances. He is intense, funny, angry, sensitive… just a fine array of emotions for an arguably secondary character. I saw him in "Abduction" and was not overly impressed. In the previous two "Twilight" films, and "Abduction" his job was to be buff and more buff – and to run a lot - shirtless. While he manages to keep his shirt on in most of "Breaking Dawn", he is the conscience of this film and his performances really support the hum-drum of his partners. And while we're on the subject of werewolves, they are the most interesting characters in the Twilight series. The boys in the tribe, whether in human or wolf form, are always huddling, hanging out, and rough-housing together. And the CGI wolves (while surprisingly huge) are beautiful animals. The actors are interesting to look at and have some substantial secondary plots. Compared, in contrast, to the Cullen clan who seem to just walk around ghost-like with no real relationships.

I have to admit, I'm only watching "Twilight" because it is a phenomenon and I want to be able to talk about it around the water cooler. If I were to give my honest opinion of this film, I'd recommend that you don't waste your time. It is a simplistic tale and you won't walk away from the theater with anything more than you walked in with. But if you've seen the previous movies or are a fan of the books then I recommend you "wait for the instant download," because this is just a protracted episode.

A final note: I have also been watching the "Underworld" series in anticipation of the upcoming release of "Underworld: Awakening," (which also is a vampire/werewolf movie). Once I've reviewed the final chapter of the "Twilight" series and "Awakening" I plan a comparison of the two franchises. I think there will be some interesting parallels.

This film was laughably terrible

Author: Debbie lol
26 November 2011

If IMDb allowed me to give zero stars I would. This movie was so insurmountably awful, it was comedic. My friends and I were talking through the whole film because it was so boring. Here are just few of the innumerable problems: -half of the movie was nothing. it was clearly a mistake splitting the last movie in two because the first half of the movie was just bella and edward having sex and the last half was just bella being tortured by her pregnancy. -barely anything happened in the film (see above) -the script was laammeee. the movie didn't convey half of the angst or pain rendered in the novel. I know it's difficult to make a movie out of a book, but come on that was just obscene (and the book wasn't that great to begin with) -the ending (i can't say anymore but you'll see) -while I'm at it the beginning and middle were also terrible all of the good things: -kristen stewart's acting was noticeable improved. now that she's dating rob the two share some on screen chemistry -the graphics -the girl they chose for the new character (can't say who bc it may be a spoiler) DON'T MAKE MY MISTAKE AND PAY TO SEE THIS FILM IN THEATERS!

Awful

Author: jacobjohntaylor1 from Barry's bay Ontario Canada
13 November 2015

I am a fan of the first three Twilight movies. And I have to say this one is very bad. There not a lot of drama in this movie. The first three twilight movie are so mush better. And this one is just awful.The story line is no good at all. The evil vampire in this movie was left out unless you watch this movie after the credits. Then there one seen with him. This movie is very slow and boring. I do not care who Bella picks it as always been Edward they made it very clear the The third Twilight movie Twilight eclipse. For the first movie is as always been obvious. I do not care. I care about the drama with evil vampires. And this movie had none of that. It was all about Bella and Edward. Boring. See Twilight and see Twilight New moon and see Twilight eclipse. Do not see this awful movie.

Part 1 down, and not a good start

Author: willcundallreview from United Kingdom
27 March 2015

Rating-4/10

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn-Part 1 is the first part of the end of this massively popular franchise. The problem is this is just very poor and is among it's predecessors not good yet again, it tries hard this time there is no doubt but just too little happens in the plot to muster an interesting movie that none Twilight hardcore fans will enjoy. I felt it to be a real disappointment of a movie and here is why.

The romance which I quite like in the series is there, but way too much and the sweet element they have together is lost in the first half hour, too much darkness creeps in here. The truth is this left me with a sour taste as all and the happiness is drained out, with a nice and peaceful start you feel it may be happy and the love will become stronger than ever before, problem is it doesn't and although more the books fault than the movie, still just isn't nice to see four films into it.

The acting is as usual all the same, no one improves but to be fair no one gets worse, it just feels like Eclipse part 2. With the enhanced roles of the two members of the wolves Seth(Booboo Stewart) and Leah(Julia Jones) it just makes for even more awkward watching and they really don't bring any good acting in, just worse. What I will say is this a film that wants Taylor Lautner to step up and when he does, well he is pretty average as all but still credit to him for being a powerful performer.

I can't deny this has action at certain points and it is well done, if not cringe worthy at times but forget about it and the thrills are there anyway. I think this is missing a certain type of action and when you think a fight will happen it either doesn't at all or the scenes are so fast with the camera movements that you get lost quickly and finding who is who is impossible in such scenes.

I think with the newcomer director Bill Condon it feels different if not too depressing at times, but he still manages to firmly get it done and make the most out of some terrible things in the script. The main basis for this movie being very poor is to be honest the source material, I think it was written to work well with the end of the book so as a stand alone movie it is much worse than it could have been, and Melissa Rosenberg doesn't help with the adapting either.

I enjoyed the score if that can be considered a positive thing about this, Carter Burwell creates a loving score that works well in even the darkest moments and although uses bits and pieces from past films in the franchise, still brings in nice new pieces too. I was saying about the love before and the score does help at the beginning which is why I felt this may not be as bad as I thought it might be, but I was mistaken when it was over.

Breaking Dawn Part 1 doesn't set up the second part well and if I were waiting a year for it, I wouldn't have high expectations at all, nevertheless I still feel the book is to blame for the mishap here, not the people behind the scenes, well except Stephanie Meyer of course. Wait until the end of the credits too here, little hint at what's to come in the final film in this mixed up series.

Disappointed

Author: eahutchison from United States
7 September 2012

Vampires and werewolves are not subjects that normally attract my attention, yet somehow The Twilight Saga series has sucked me in. As a romantic fantasy novel and now film series, Twilight has captivated its' young audience by twisting the fate of these not so average teens. Breaking Dawn- Part 1 is the latest of the film series and one that seemed to stray from what my self, and many other readers, imagined in the book.

Breaking Dawn- Part 1 opened in theaters November 18th, 2011 and grossed over $705 million across the world. Stephanie Meyer, author of the novel series, also became an executive producer for the film series. Melissa Rosenberg continued on as screenwriter from the previous films, but the biggest change occurred by hiring a new director. Bill Condon directed Part 1 and has signed on to direct Part 2, which is coming out in November 2012. As one of the most popular teen series of our generation, Part 1 was an interesting visual of the novel. After finally giving in to the vampire fad in 2009, I quickly became a rapid fan of the series. Somehow the movies have continued to fall short of my expectations. Granted the first film seemed to be a test to see if the fans would accept a cinema version, the budget was low and the acting came cheap. As I read the books I had a tremendous amount of imagery racing through my mind about what the mysterious Edward looked like, how the insecure Bella acted and especially visualizing the intriguing Jacob. Without critiquing the acting of these characters, I will say I think casting did a terrific job on selecting the looks of the infamous roles. Special effects are always a challenge but I think this film does a good job of portraying the abstract plot line including speed, transformations, werewolves, flying, and more. Aside from the very basics of the movie, I struggled with the actual portrayal in comparison to the book.

I think the one thing that frustrates me the most is how they split the film into two movies for the sole benefit of making a bigger profit. I understand that breaking the novel in to halves makes it easier to depict all of the blood, sweat and tears, but the way Dawn ends just leaves the audience craving for more, even though they know how it ends. Another issue I had was the birth. Birthing scenes are never fun for anyone to watch, act or direct but this scene in Dawn was one for the records. It seemed to make the audience not only feel uncomfortable, but the views of Bella throughout were unnecessary and horrific. Lastly, the acting has always made me rigger. I can't put my foot down on whether it's the script that is cheesy or if it really is the actors. Whatever the issue may be, I wish the awkwardness of the actors themselves didn't interfere with the complexity of the plot. Young actors are hard to train, but some of these actors might be a better fit for the Disney channel.

For those who are already Twilight fans or for those who might become fans, I would recommend watching the films. Even though it may not be the fantasy world you imagined in your mind, actually getting to see a visual portrayal is entertaining non the less.

That sinking feeling...

Author: devilsadvocatered6
14 May 2014

It's been a few months now, IMDb. You have no idea what I've done to myself, do you? I don't even know what I've done. What I do know is that ever since I've seen this movie, I'm experiencing terrible headaches and blackouts that last hours and sometimes days on end. I wake up in strange places that I don't recall visiting. My friends and family tell me that I've grown withdrawn and distant. My bedroom wall is plastered in pictures of brunette women, some with red X's over their faces. No matter how many times I rip this down, it mysteriously reappears and I hear someone laughing in my ear even if I'm alone.

But enough about me, let's talk terrible movies. Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but I do believe this movie sucked gigantic, furry balls. Not just sucked, either, we're talking the gravity well of a collapsed star with enough force to rip a planet apart.

Edward and Bella get married. I'm all out of f-bombs to give about their "relationship", much like the actor who plays Charlie Swan. Hang on, let me check with Sparkles the Vampire. Nope, he's out of f-bombs, too. Anyway, they spend their honeymoon on a private island off the coast of Brazil and spend their time completely trashing their suite with vampire sex that should theoretically break Bella in every sense of the word. I wish I was kidding. They even have sex in the missionary position because...it was written by someone with strong religious beliefs? It just seems to me a lot of this could have been avoided if Bella learned some cowgirl positions. In the age of smart phones, there has got to be an app for that. (Damn right there is.)

Anyway, this results in a pregnancy and a lot of chess playing. Despite the fact that carrying this mutant vampire abomination is clearly going to kill Bella, she goes balls-deep into pro life territory and discards that tiny particle of character she has to spread the author's propaganda. Remember, impressionable young women: abortions are always wrong even in a Rosemary's Baby kind of situation. Now you know. And knowing is half the battle!

The werewolves don't like this because treaty and they stand around speaking in perfect English in their cartoon dog forms. Jacob trolls the leader and decides to protect Bella who ends up dying in labor, looking a lot like a crack addict on a slab when all is said and done. Good job, make-up team. I mean that.

Jacob then creeps all over the baby by falling in love with it, I think. I'm not sure anymore about how real any of this is. I mentioned the headaches, right? Well, this is my conclusion: this is a sloppily written mess of a movie whose only redeeming factor lies in the unsung heroes of the make up artists. Everything else just falls flat. Even the soundtrack seems to just be going through the motions. Nobody makes any attempt to act (Jacob alone never makes a face outside of mild constipation), the music is bland and...Edward never sparkled in Brazil despite being in broad daylight for most of that sequence. In fact, none of the vampires did. Did I...did I dream that they had established that in the first movie? I don't know anymore. My head is starting to hurt again.

Dreadful

Author: moviemaster from sanfrancisco
5 May 2013

So I've seen all of them... not sure why but I did enjoy the first one. From there it was mostly downhill, except the last was OK too. #2 and #3 we OK, but lacked the verve the first one had... the imagination. After that it's just a cat and dog fight amongst the adversaries. Rosenberg has written the screenplay for all of them and except for the first has shown little true talent. The plots are pedestrian and hackneyed for the most part--- passing for fair daytime soaps, barely. But I like the cast; several have good acting skills. But Dawn One reminded me of the old Star Trek series when the actors all get together on the enterprise and sit around staring at each other wondering when the plot is going to start. But she's got millions of suckers, who fall for this stuff. Most of the movies have grossed about $300M on budgets of $100M or less. Imagine what they could have done with a talented writer!

An Abomination

Author: mcfjr42 from United States
8 April 2013

The Twilight series has never been good; anyone who's trying to convince you otherwise is a preteen girl. But I will say this: up until Breaking Dawn the movies were at least enjoyably bad. Breaking Dawn, however, decides to suck any joy out of it and fill the film with the worst acting and visuals of the entire franchise.

I won't bother recapping the plot here; there's just no point, especially when the books and films are so prominent in pop culture. Instead, let me get into the many things wrong with this film:

-Kristen Stewart rarely smiles in this film. Oh, there are a few forced-looking smiles, but even at her character Bella's wedding she looks downright miserable. Looking miserable all the time worked well for her in Speak; here in a romantic role like this it's just awful

-The long-awaited sex scene is probably one of the most bland, passionless sex scenes ever put to film. Some furniture's destroyed, sure, but still, that isn't enough to save the lifeless lovemaking that occurs between Bella and Edward

-The stupidity of Bella astounded me in the book, and here it's just as bad. Bella easily lets Rosalie talk her into keeping the baby Edward impregnates her with. This is a girl who hated her and wanted to kill her at one point; they may be family now, but still, Bella shouldn't just blindly listen to her stepsister, especially when it becomes increasingly apparent she couldn't care less if Bella lived or died, as long as she gets the baby.

-The film tries to deal with a topic like abortion. And, surprise surprise, they do a terrible job. The way it's brought up is so blunt it looks like it was written by someone who honestly believes all abortions are performed in back alleys with coat hangers. The handling of such a controversial topic can be done well in the right hands, but the Twilight series and Stephanie Meyer are nowhere close to being intelligent or deep enough to handle a topic like this.

-A lot of scenes involving Jacob and the wolf pack are way too dark; I could barely tell what was going on half of the time in those scenes. Not that what was going on in those scenes was particularly interesting, but it was still rather irritating.

-Jacob, played by Taylor Lautner (who, throughout the series, seemed to be giving an 'Ewan McGregor in the Star Wars prequels'-like effort to actually act), imprints on baby Renesmee. While imprinting is not explained well enough for any viewer to understand how it works, the fact that Jacob will someday be dating the newborn is really uncomfortable. While not outright making Jacob a pedophile, it really makes one of the few likable characters left in the movies a lot creepier. This, of course, is kept from the book, because bad choices and poor writing like this could only be the work of a monumental hack like Meyer.

-The birth scene is one of the few things I've ever seen in a movie that made me sick. Not since I saw some of the cut animal scenes from Cannibal Holocaust has a movie actually made me nauseous. It is one of the most tasteless, disgusting scenes ever filmed.

Don't watch this movie. It rivals The Last Airbender film in terms of awfulness. There is so much wrong with this film that it is devoid of the charming stupidity found in Eclipse or even New Moon. If this review doesn't keep you away from this horrific cinematic dung heap, I wish you the best of luck in sitting through it.