The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1
Page 3 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Amazingly..... this film is worse than Beverley Hills Cop 3

Author: Andy Philp from Wroughton, Wiltshire, England
13 February 2012

I never thought I would find a film that was actually worse than BHC 3 but here it is...

For a start, it's so obvious they are padding this out into two movies to get as much money as possible from the piece of crap series but the first 35 minutes was literally 'Prepare for wedding, get married, have honeymoon' all set against horrible cheap massage parlour relaxation music.

I paid money on Apple TV so my wife could watch this, even though I spent the entire movie reading a magazine the sheer awfulness of this movie entered my soul through osmosis.

Please do not watch this movie or give any money to this crap franchise.

These vampires really DO suck!

Author: Kell Smurthwaite from Aberdeen, Scotland
3 December 2011

Have now watched breaking Dawn Pt 1 and can honestly say it is the biggest heap of sh*te ever! If I had paid money to see it, I would be going postal on everyone who conspired to take my money from me. It was absolutely awful! I only watched this because a) I'm a completist when it comes to all things vampire and I've read all the books (below mediocre) and watched the previous films, and b) I figured it couldn't get any worse than the last one. I was wrong. The series started poorly and went downhill fast. There are SO many things wrong with it that it would be impossible to list them all, but a couple are that the CGI wolves are even worse than the ones they had in The Day After Tomorrow (and they were bloody awful!), and there were several instances where vamps had sunlight shining directly on them and there were absolutely no sparkles (but then, I think VAMPIRES SHOULDN'T SPARKLE anyway). I could wax lyrical on the poor performances and go into detail about just how badly the scene where the wolves were all talking telepathically sucked, but I'd just bore everyone.

The soundtrack to this one is pretty nothing-y as well. And the music is pretty much constant. It reminded me of when I tried to watch Twin Peaks, but couldn't because the constantly-present music was so loud I could hardly make out what the characters were saying. In this instance, I COULD hear what was being said, but the music playing ALL THE TIME was still very annoying. Sometimes there's a lot to be said for background SILENCE or just natural sound instead of music. I honestly cannot recall a single moment in that film where there wasn't music playing - it drove me absolutely nuts! It possibly doesn't help that the other film I watched last night (The Ides of March) was nothing short of brilliant and, in my opinion, a definite contender for several Oscar nominations, so BDP1 suffered even more in comparison. At least my whole evening wasn't a complete bust! I would have happily paid twice for The Ides of March - it's THAT good!

Breaking Dawn - Part 1 Serves As A Mediocre Comedy

Author: claytonj87 from United States
16 December 2011

Last night I went to go see The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 1. I should lay a few facts out on the table. First, I have read and own all of the books. Second, this is the first of the movies that I have not seen at midnight. Third, I waited until almost a month after its release because I could not get through that trailer without bursting out laughing and I did not want to be attacked by rabid Twihards. Fourth, I consumed half a pitcher of a Donnie Daiquiri at my local Cinebarre while viewing this film. Now that I have put that out in the open, onto the review.

The fourth installment of The Twilight Saga brings us to the event many avid fans have been waiting for, the wedding of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). The movie begins by showing us a sequence of people getting the waterproof invitation to aforementioned wedding, set to an unnecessarily sweeping score. Of course young Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner) is not happy about this turn of events and morphs into a werewolf to deal with his troubles. They get married, finally have sex, and 13 days later it is discovered that Bella is pregnant with an aggressively kicking little... something… That Bella insists on carrying despite the fact that it is killing her.

Visually this is the best of the franchise. Bill Condon (Dreamgirls) brings polish to the film that the others lack. There is a sense of balance and purpose to his shots. It t seems as if Condon was trying to make something out of very little. Other props go to the special effects used to show Bella's transformation from healthy 18 year-old to a literal corpse. There are moments where they show her bones looking as if they are trying to poke through her skin and her complexion looks more like that of a zombie than a human. That however, is where the positives end.

The script, written by Melissa Rosenberg, at times feels more like a pro-life argument than entertainment. While some characters acknowledge that whatever is growing inside of Bella is slowly draining her life and should not be carried to term, others insist that Bella should sacrifice anything for it. They even go so far as to correct anytime someone says fetus or thing, repeatedly saying that it is a baby. The first time it was not annoying, it merely clarified how the different characters viewed what was growing inside of Bella, but after the 5th time it felt a little redundant. Add into the mix some fight scenes that have so much CGI it is difficult to distinguish who is fighting who and it makes you miss the moments at the beginning where Bella seems to be terrified of getting married and the 10 minute sequence of her trying to entice her new husband to have sex with her.

The acting in this movie remains mediocre, which is a rise from where we began in Twilight. Stewart still does not know how to show emotion, unless it is complete discomfort, Pattinson still has a blank stare and slight grimace on his face at all times, even as his wife is dying, and Lautner is trying.

This movie tries to act like it is a lot more epic than it is so here is the warning: Despite what the music will have you to think nothing in this story is really epic, nothing in this story is good, nothing in this story is really compelling at this point. However, if you liked the previous installments go see it. Or if you want to get drunk and laugh your ass off for two hours.

Good Lord Where Did This Atrocious Film Come From

Author: (marla-rawson) from United States
23 November 2011

WTF was this piece of garbage? From the moment the movie opened with the standard "Bella" voice over of what is meant to be a meaningful quote to the "bonus" mid-credit Volturi scene, this move was absolutely horrendous.

First let me state that I have read all the books a couple of times and even the "Edward" point of view of Twilight. What can I say, remembering the first crush,unattainable romance of my teen years was hard to resist.

That being said, where in the hell did this movie adaptation of Breaking Dawn come from? Certainly not the Oscar-award-winning director Bill Condon whose work on Gods and Monsters and Kinsey was truly amazing. The man obviously either needed the money or lost his mind to create this drivel. Seriously, it must be embarrassing when even the stars of the movie are making snide comments (Pattinson) when they are making millions as well as 2.5% of the gross.

So, here are a few of my musings on the ridiculousness and one semi-decent parts of Breaking Dawn--Part I.

First, this is a wedding that Edward & Bella, not to mention the fans, have been waiting for for several years (in Edwards case nearly a century) and the most emotion either Pattinson or Stewart could muster was attempting not to laugh while reciting their vows. Thank god for Anna Kendrick's spot-on portrayal of Jessica and Kellan Lutz's much needed comic relief performance of Emmet and Rathbone's ridiculously over-dramatic Jasper. I have to say, he and Rathbone decided they were going to have a good time making this one, excuse me, two and that is just what they did.

Two, what was up with the honeymoon? I understand that it was PG-13 and meant for the tween and teen set but couldn't they have given the moms sneaking in at mid-day matinées or, for that matter, anyone who has read the book a little credit? Where in the hell was the sparkle motion? Even the Twilight haters know that Edward, not to mention every vampire in this series, sparkles in the sunlight--um that's why they went to the private island for their honeymoon. Also, what was so damn exciting about playing chess? I'm sure it was a metaphor for who was going to get their way in regards to sex--Bella wins when she says please--but come on, isn't about time we got over that and the red and white chess pieces and board in all the movies?

Three, for all that is holy, what were they thinking with the whole wolf telepathy craziness? The animation was ridiculous and the multiple voice over at the same time was driving me nuts. Oh, and what about the terrible acting of the chick that played Leah?

And last, but certainly not least, the decent part of the film, the CGI work that was done on Kristen Stewart to create the pregnant, emaciated and broken Bella. I wasn't a fan of the missing vampire sparkles, the animation on the baby, or turning of the body but I have to give the CGI dudes their props for Stewart. Oh, one more thing they did right was everyone's and I mean everyone's reaction to Bella's idiotic choice of Renesmee as a name for her daughter.

Overall, in my opinion, this movie is the worst of the bunch--and that is saying a lot considering I hated New Moon. Not only were the actors, with the exception of Billy Burke and in some scenes Stewart, just phoning it in for the $$$, some of them seemed to enjoy creating their horrible performances--you know who you and your hair are Pattinson.

If you MUST see this installment of the Twilight Saga I recommend either going to a matinée or cheap theater where you can keep your viewing of this atrociousness a well-kept secret.

If I'd wanted to watch people slurp the heck out of something, I'd rather see them doing that to dessert

Author: Alise_shenle from Singapore
30 November 2011

Into the first 5 seconds of the movie, Jacob took off his shirt. I am not a Twilight fan, and have only watched half of the first movie. I thought this movie would be delightfully bloody and decided to check this out. With my best friend. Little did I know it would be awkward since every alternate second Bella and Edward are sucking one another's soul. The Vampires are depicted as cool, cultured, impeccably fashionable gods, while the werewolves are "Black" peasants wearing normal old clothes, and not looking too delicately pretty themselves. I mean, Leah looks horrible. This makes the vampires seem like the pretty princesses and princes in fairy tales and werewolves as the bad guys. Who the heck would choose the werewolves then? The worst part is, when Bella became a vampire, she suddenly got gold eyeshadow and make up, and the whole theatre laughed. Wow, to become a vampire just so you could have colored eyes without contacts and natural makeup? And still only looking a bit better and certainly not as good as some good ol' humans, I think that is an EPIC FAIL. Just like this movie.

I'm still in shock

Author: thevdoc from australia
8 December 2011

I am nominating this for the best movie, hands down, for the razzy awards. i m still not sure how this movie earned 16mil dollars. Please please don't watch this movie if u work hard for ur leaving, or u value ur time. In relation to the hype surrounding the movie, this definitely is the worst movie to come out in the last decade. there is absolutely nothing happening absolutely nothing. Unlike other run of the mill movie, u cant even say the story takes a predictable path, coz there is no story at all. the basic story as all of you might know by now is the heroine gets pregnant, and somehow she gets so sentimental she wants to keep the baby, add in the werewolfs, jumping around once in a while. The worst line: If its a son I will call him "edward Jacob" . I nearly pucked at that scene. One of the reviewer wrote- if your girlfriend asks u to watch the movie leave her, i totally agree

Boring

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11 February 2012

Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) get married and travel to Rio de Janeiro for honeymoon. Bella gets pregnant but sooner she learns that the fetus is a blood sucker that is draining her life. The Cullen clan and Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner) tolerate each other to take care of Bella that will certainly die on the delivery.

"The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1" is a boring film since the greedy producers decided to split a single story in parts one and two. Therefore, they shot the storyline "Bella and Edward get married, travel in honeymoon and Bella gets pregnant but the baby threats her life" along 117 minutes running time. I believe that even the greatest fan of The Twilight Saga might have found this film boring. Last but not the least, I bought also the CD and the music score is terrible. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "Amanhecer" ("Dawning")

No. Just...No.

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
20 March 2014

Just when everyone thought the "Twilight" saga couldn't get any worse, this drivel introduces the "imprinting" thing between Jacob and the newborn baby Renesmee (what a stupid name, by the way):I mean, "Twilight" was dumb and ridiculous before, but the blatant romanticization of pedophilia from that scene makes one wonder what the hell is wrong with human race when a story including such kind of stuff is able to become a a worldwide phenomenon.

While "New Moon" should have been enough warning for me to stay away from the awful franchise,I decided to give Bill Condon the benefit of the doubt (Come on, Gods and Monsters was good and Dreamgirls was a decent musical) but not even the best filmmaker would be able to save the dreadful mess the Twilight books are.

Anyway, imprinting(*shudder*) aside this movie was unspeakably boring, being filled with lots and lots of padding, without nothing relevant happening in most scenes. There wasn't any good reason of why the last part of the idiotic Twilight saga should have been split in two parts, considering that the first part was mostly irrelevant filler.

Other than that, "Breaking Dawn: Part 1" has all of the flaws of its predecessors such as wooden acting, a cheesy script, embarrassing stereotypes, corny scenes, sparkly metrosexual vampires and shirtless teen werewolves. The only redeeming factor was the soundtrack, which in my opinion is way too good to be included in a movie like this.

I'm done with the Twilight franchise. By this point, criticizing its stupidity and awfulness would be redundant, way too obvious. Even kid's cartoon's mocked it and I think it would be better to let the sparkly vampire fad buried in oblivion, the same fate that waits for the "Fifty Shades of Grey" film adaptation.

0/10 (And I would rate it with a negative score if a could)

What the bloody hell did I just watch?

Author: Eline Schreurs from Netherlands
8 December 2011

The films starts with the wedding invitations, progresses to the wedding itself, after which (skeleton) Stewart and Patterson ('The Hair') will go on a honeymoon, where Stewart will get pregnant, and she eventually almost dies. That's it. Two hours, and that's it. After the first part I've found myself thinking that it wasn't as boring as I expected it to be, in all honesty. But then I thought about it, and realized it's just like going to McD or BK (or any places like this). You go there because you fancy a hamburger or cheeseburger, take your pick. While you're eating it, you think it's not bad, but afterwards you're wondering, what was it that I ate? What is that hamburger made of, and that cheese tasted like garbage... It's exactly the same with this film. You watch it because you fancy a nice, emotional, non-intellectual random film. Afterwards, you'll find yourself thinking: what the *** was this? The first hour mainly contained Stewart and Patterson making out, and making out, and making out even more! Not even at the wedding Stewart looked happy, nor at the honeymoon. I was disappointed by the cheekiness of the film, especially the first half. It was so bad! Seriously, take a bowl, you're going to puke. And not because of the amount of blood, because frankly it's hardly there. The second part,I admit was slightly better. Lautner was also disappointing to me, though, his acting doesn't come through to me. It just stays on the screen. The wolf part was actually quite cool, where Lautner would stand up for Stewart and her child, and when he could hear voices. But the vampires fighting with the wolves? Not so much, I found myself thinking: whatever. Seriously. Awkward when Patterson realized that Lautner had imprinted on his daughter. If I were a father, I'd freak out. Honestly, he fell in love with Stewart, who is his age, and then falls in love with her daughter? I wouldn't sound cool. At all. The best part was the transformation. How on the outside, she lookes dead, and the shots from her veins, where you see the venom spread, is very well done. Well done, Condon, I knew you had it in you. Please, show more of your incredible director skills in the next part. Frankly, you can do so much better than this.

Pathetic piece of garbage

Author: jo-185-56717 from Germany
3 December 2011

I know I know, this is one of the movies some people love and others hate. When the first Twilight came out the series was off to an interesting start. Some things seemed off (make up / acting) but it still had a very commercial and fresh approach of an old school topic. Unfortunately the following movies were much weaker (in my opinion) than the fairly good starter.

But now this Breaking dawn comes along:

The acting, the script, the cinematography, effects, score and general feel of the newest addition to the Twilight family blows everything seen before out of proportion. I sat in the movie theater BEGGING it to get better. Basically it's 90 minutes waiting for something that is so pathetically done that you wish you were waiting for Nachos instead... A huge waste of time and an insult to every filmmaker that isn't able to get his project financed... I seriously couldn't believe how badly done it was.