The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1
Page 2 of 45:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A vampire movie/paranormal romance but without the bite...

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
19 November 2011

I am neither a Twilight fan or a Twilight detractor. This said, I am indifferent to the franchise. As far as the movies, I still think, coming from someone whose knowledge of the books only comes from my sister being a fan and me reading a chapter of one and putting it down, that the best is Eclipse(not saying much) and New Moon the worst. But that is not a consolation really. Breaking Dawn: Part 1 is not quite among the worst of the year and nowhere near among the worst ever, however it suffers from some major problems that I will get to later in the review.

So what was it that got me seeing Breaking Dawn: Part 1 in the first place? The answer was its director, Bill Condon. I am familiar with his previous films and find him a promising director and writer, finding his films well written, observed and acted. Gods and Monsters is amazing and one of my favourites, Kinsey was interesting and Dreamgirls elevated by the soundtrack and cast was quite decent. Did Condon do a good job directing? For me, I am not sure. I'd say of the four Twilight movies so far Breaking Dawn: Part 1 has the most cinematic feel to it, on the other hand there is not much here that made Condon's previous films so good and I'd go as far to say it is the film of his that engaged me the least.

Are there any redeeming qualities to this instalment? I think so actually. Although there are moments of sloppy editing, I did like the look of the film. At some points it was quite Gothic, and at others it had either an evergreen or autumnal feel to it. The scenery often does look stunning, the effects are okay I guess and the cinematography especially with the close-ups of the back of the wedding dress and the final shot is some of the best of the franchise in my opinion.I also liked Carter Burwell's score. I like Burwell a lot, his music has a hypnotic and quite hauntingly beautiful quality to it. For my tastes though some of the pop tunes are on the insipid side, however the score itself was pleasant with a lot of what I like about Burwell evident.

Much has been said about the sex scene. In all honesty I was expecting it to be of hilariously cheesy quality, but somehow Condon brought a little more subtlety than I was expecting. The last thirty minutes was perhaps the most exciting Breaking Dawn: Part 1 got, as some of does have purpose and intensity, which was something that the first half of the film did not have.There are also two good performances, Billy Burke and Michael Sheen, the latter being another point of interest. Burke as always is amusing with some of the better lines of the film(though is that saying much do you think?), while Sheen, ever the great actor, adopts a menace and magnetism as Aro without overdoing it too much. Ashley Greene is also quite good, if not great.

I have to say I still don't think much of the acting of the central trio. Kristen Stewart is much better than she is in New Moon, with much less of the moping and dead pauses, but some of her line delivery is still awkward and her facial expressions for my tastes are lifeless. It doesn't help though that Bella is a rather dull character.Robert Pattinson has more to do than he did in New Moon and is less hammy than in the first film(the looking into the camera moments brought moments of unintentional laughter when I first went to see Twilight when it came out). As a matter of fact this is perhaps his best performance of the series and he is certainly the best of the central trio, but like Stewart some of the line delivery could've been more inspired.

Taylor Lautner on the other hand is getting worse and worse. He is hunky to be sure, but does that alone make you a good actor? Not to me. I will give credit and say he is better than he was in this year's Abduction, where both the film and performance were awful, but the more dramatic moments from him felt forced and overplayed, and throughout there was a very stilted nature about him. A lot of the problem is to do with the writing. The dialogue in the Twilight franchise never was particularly good, saying this though in terms of written quality this is Twilight at its most banal, its most clunky and its most cheesy. The characters are clichéd and underdeveloped too, and at the end of the day you don't care for anybody. Oh, and the talking wolves were poorly done and unintentionally funny.

The story is very bland and unengaging, not to mention thin structurally and in content. The whole of the first half reads little more than ponderous melodrama. Was the wedding lavish? Yes it was. But it was also plodding and over-extended. The second half fares better, still with the clunky dialogue, uneven acting and cheesy, underdeveloped plot points and characterisations, but as I said the last thirty minutes or so serves as the highlight of the film. But for me what killed the film was the pace. Mind you, I have seen movies with slow pacing, but they are often paced deliberately and with strong meanings, great acting and dialogue and identifiable characters. With little of that here, Breaking Dawn: Part 1 not only is dull and plodding but also uninteresting and without bite.

Overall, despite my admiration for Condon and Sheen, this didn't work. The ending is highly suggestive of a continuation, which I understand is happening. If so, I do hope it will be better than this. 4/10 Bethany Cox

WTF was that?

Author: Beck55 from Portugal
21 November 2011

(I never read the books so this comment is strictly directed to movie franchise)

WTF WAS THAT? Almost 2 hours of NOTHING. God Damn it!, that was sad. It was a F-U to the public and especially to the fans. They might as well have sold us a bucket of sh*t, so we can carry something home because I got nothing from this movie. Not a laugh nor a cry, not even a boner (Bella looks like sh*t).

Let's recap the series:

1 - The first movie was OK, it was new and different. I actually enjoyed it.

Then they started shooting sh*t into our eyes.

2 - The second movie was exactly the same as the first (plot wise) but with wolfs.

3 - The third had more action and featured the Volfucks and an "army" (really? The word that's used is army?) of 10 young vampires who died in about 2 min. after the fight started.

4 - Then came this piece of sh*t movie, the fourth, and its plot: (ATTENTION THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS!!! IF YOU DIDN'T SEE THE MOVIE YET SKIP THE FOLLOWING LINE!!!) Edward and Bella get married and have a kid - F-U!.

I don't understand why the final part of the series had to be split in 2. This movie would've taken 30 min. (tops) of the Breaking Dawn complete movie.

They really took a massive dump on the fans. And yet, some of then appear here to defend the movie which we all know (fans and none-fans) it was absolute crap.

A Preteen Story about Boyfriends and Sex

Author: Andrew Williamson from Yorkshire, England
25 November 2011

OK here is the thing about the plot for Twilight Breaking Wind...it is about boyfriends and girlfriends but only from a girl's perspective. There is nothing especially wrong with this except when it becomes a movie which my 7 year old could have made a better job of. So what are the existential components? 1. OMG which boyfriend do I choose, I'm the geek and now everybody (well 2 people) are interested in me... problem part 1 - one is manly but poor (trailer boy), the other is thin, pretty and rich problem part 2 - one is so muscly and animalistic and wants to constantly get his hairy? (shaved chest wolf?) body around me, the other is willing to wait until my wedding might (how touching) 2. I'm scared of sex for the first time...there might be some blood? 3. what if I get pregnant? (what if my baby is a monster?) 4. Foreplay...do I have to swallow something unpleasant? (several gallons of O Neg) ask Dr Freud about that one. 5. I want to look like a prepubescent girl for ever (where is the mirror, can I be immortalised?

Life, death and 12 year old fears superimposed upon celluloid...badly! There is more substance to an episode of Sara Jane

worst move ever made?

Author: shervinv from Canada
25 November 2011

First I had to contemplate whether this rating would have a "spoiler"... It was a tough decision, because that would imply that there's some sort of plot line that I may ruin inadvertently... rest assured, there isn't. I mean we knew Bella and Edward were getting married, and the previews showed there may be a baby in the works, and well, there you have it. But after sitting through this.... thing....for two hours, I thought that I simply MUST write a review. I haven't felt this motivated and energized to write a review in ages! I simply had to start typing as soon as I got home! My goal: to stop just one person from seeing this film. If I do, I will have done my good deed on this earth, and my work on this planet would be done. I know, it's such a minor thing, but hey, it's the little things that count.

The movie starts by a few excusable facial closeups as we see one actor after the next sigh, or smile, or look wistfully or longingly here and there, while the camera lingers on them 30 seconds too long; sometimes with a sarcastic smile which says "I'm really sad inside, but I'm putting on a brave face for you", or a mirthless smile that says: "I'm thinking about a grilled cheese sandwich right now, but I'll just smile and look past you to give the impression that I'm really deeply moved by what you're saying". Now and then the REALLY good actors get to throw in a little knowing crooked half smile to add some REAL gravity to the scene! I could only imagine what deep ironic thoughts they must have been projecting, but alas, it's one of those things that if you have to ask, you're just not cool enough to know. Well! Just when you think you've seen every possible mellow dramatic look and cheesy music combo possible... the director decides to do it again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and just when you thought it couldn't possibly happen again, it does! And then again, and again, and again, .... Oh, and once in a while the director gets in his helicopter and does a senseless nature flyover scene just to break things up a little, and to get a way from the set.

Since I had lots of time during the film to contemplate life, the universe, and everything while I listened to the cheesiest musical scores to ever accompany a film while actors sulked, and stomped, and pouted, glared, and tried to out-overact each other, I wondered, why would this director resort to this inanity? It then hit me! The entire plot could easily be filmed in 30 minutes, and he had a whole hour and a bit to fill! I then empathized with the director as I imagined his moment of panic... it must have been a spot of genius when he realized he could fill the rest of the film with meaningless nature shot after nature shot, and the above-mentioned "let's throw in another drawn out look" scenes.

At various points in the film I drifted, and started to fantasize that sudden weird things would happen to change up the deadening tempo to spice up the film: like Bella would trip over her wedding gown, or Edward and Jacob would profess their love for each other and leave Bella to quiver lip herself into oblivion on her own while nobody cared, but sadly nothing like this happened to save the day.

There was one saving grace, I must say. Even though the theatre was filled with teenage girls, about halfway through the film, one, then another, then another started to laugh out loud! Pretty soon those of us who weren't comatose or brain-dead, joined in. It was something akin to a Christmas miracle! It was just like it happened in Whoville when everyone started to sing together! We the brave, and the few, in our darkest hour, we came together in laughter, and through our laughter whispered to one another: "it's OK, we're in this together, we can make it"! And we did.

When you get to the very end of the film, there's this nail-biter to end all nail-biters.... you'll go through five to ten minutes of nail biting dramatic mastery, there's changing camera angles, and zoom ins, and zoom outs, and music, and really really bad effects ... all inching towards the final finale and the answer you must know: will she live, or is she dead? Don't worry, I won't spoil it, the real spoiler is this: when you get there, you just... won't... care!

So you, standing there getting a last review in before deciding what to do with the evening... don't do it... you know who you are, just... don't... do it!

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (2011)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
29 January 2012

I hate Twilight a lot. But nobody can say I am unfair towards it. The third film was actually entertaining and less infuriating. Breaking Dawn Part 1, is different altogether. It is just a horrible product shoved out with no regard for its audience. Bella and Edward get married and go on honeymoon, this last for over an hour. She gets pregnant, which shouldn't be able to happen, and some potentially evil demon baby is sucking the life from her. The films biggest crime is that nothing happens for so long. This series has had a tendency to drag on and on. With New Moon seeming totally unnecessary. What happens here, is that we get one book split into two films. This film has about 30 minutes of material in it. Characters have the same conversations they've had a thousand times before, with nobody evolving. Bella and Edward feel the same way they've always felt, as does Jacob. The sex scene is embarrassingly juvenile, with a quick cut to something from a parody. The film doesn't let up in the absurdity department, as some animated wolves have a conversation with each other, but with mindless growling and dialog, it sounds terrible. What any other film would have shortened into a montage is played out to a variety of banal songs that all sound the same. Finally we get towards the end and the graphic, grotesque birth scene is barely shown at all. It leaves us with a finale in which a wolf "imprints" himself onto a newborn baby in a scene more disturbing than anything The Human Centipede could muster. If you like characters that whine about everything, actors that have no emotional range, and watching slideshows of other people's honeymoons, then you may enjoy this laughable effort.

I'm damaged for life...

Author: itisnoita (itisnoita@hotmail.com) from Sweden
8 December 2011

OMG!!! I have been trough a HORRIBLE ordeal!!! I doubt I ever will fully recover from this... O.O I had never, I mean EVER imagined that my eyes would witness something that horrible, that outstandingly gruesome that the movie Breaking Dawn turned out to be! OMG! I had a moment of weakness and let myself be talked into watching the new Twilight movie...yes..yes I know...I should have seen it coming...I mean, the last movies have by no mean shown any indication that the upcoming sequels would suddenly turn into quality entertainment. But I never saw this coming...I would rather have been shot in my kneecaps and been hung up on meet hooks for days, than suffered through this terrible, SHOCKING piece of Mormon scheisse! WHY do people go crazy over this fundamentalist Mormon MORON'S openly anti abortion propaganda with it's dogmatic brainwash attempt to convince that it's "God's will to wait until you're married"!?!?!? AND that you should always ALWAYS give birth to WHATEVER "child" you're carrying, no matter of how it got there or if it so will kill you!!! All the while, ALL THE WHILE; This utterly boring little slut, with NO character or personality (or acting skills for that matter) what so ever, is playing with two guys FOR YEARS! So, you have a movie that is openly trying to teach Christian (Mormon) "values and morale", BUT is saying at the same time that it's completely OK for you to be a horny little 'beep' who manipulates people and keeps them from living their own life...And if you think they might be slipping away, here's an idea NAME YOUR FREAKING MISTAKE OF A CHILD with BOTH of the guys names!!! Gaaah!!!! NOT TO FORGET that the bruises in the movie, that were caused by Eddie "The hair" dear's "vampire strength" is in fact in the book bruises cause he beat her, so that's another great Mormon message for all your daughters, submission to your man, no control over your own body AND you should accept the occasional beating once you have the ring on your finger. I will not be caught DEAD watching another one of these piece of poop propaganda movies with twisted messages and ideas! Over n out!

50 minute wedding followed by 50 minutes of birthing pain!

Author: zeetoddy
3 December 2011

Yes, it IS awful! The books are good, but this movie is a travesty of epic proportions! 4 people in front of me stood up and walked out of the movie. It was that bad. Yes, 50 minutes of wedding...very schlocky accompanied by sappy music. I actually timed the movie with a stop watch I was so bored. There is about 20 minutes of action and the rest is Bella pregnant and dying. The end. No, seriously. One of the worst movies I have ever seen. If it didn't have such a big budget and hype it would rank with one of the worst horror movies out there. The movie is plain stupid and cheesy and by far the worst of the series. The first two movies were nowhere near this awful!

The Top Twenty-Eight Things I Learned From Twilight 4a: Part 1

Author: thesar-2 from United States
30 January 2012

1. And God said: "Since AIDS didn't teach you, I bestow 'Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1' upon you."

2. The cast's acting ability is equivalent to a possum under attack.

3. Shouting out "You did THIS!" to a man who recently impregnated his wife isn't just insulting…it's obvious.

4. While playing chess, it is appropriate to gleefully proclaim: "I win!" like a five-year-old verses the oh-so-ancient "checkmate."

5. According to the morals of somewhat-writer Stephanie Meyer, it is acceptable to kill humans as long as you're in the healthy position of playing both judge and executioner. Long-live mormons.

6. If it was previously okay for someone over 100 to woo someone under 18-years-old, then I guess the same could be done for a teen to an 18-minute-old infant.

7. 'Twilight' contains as many vampires as the Republican Party contains Christians.

8. Within 3-seconds of the start time, Jacob rips off his shirt. Release the horny and lonely 50-year-old moms!

9. Werewolves tend to get sick at the sight of blood, apparently.

10. You know you have script problems when George Lucas, himself, has dialogue suggestions.

11. The original subtitle of 'Breaking Wind' was questionably rejected.

12. Soap Operas, left and right, are being cancelled and yet this has a theatrical release? My apologies, World.

13. Mercifully, to cut some costs on lighting, the moon is full in every night shot, despite the continuity of scenes.

14. If this is the Anti-Abortion-Advertisement it screams, I will pull the hanger myself.

15. More got accomplished in the 16 Republican debates than in two draining hours here.

16. I've heard the same bed that breaks in the movie during Edward and Bella's sex scene happens in the book. Big deal; I used to call that: Tuesday Night.

17. Worried your unborn child might become a demonic offspring? Turn to Yahoo™ on an Apple™ laptop for all your answers.

18. Who knew a pack of talking dogs could be this funny, outside of Pixar's 'Up'?

19. The Mayans calendar has been recalculated to narrow the end of days to 2/11/12. In a completely unrelated story, 'Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1' is being released on video that same day.

20. Wincing as hard as you can and uttering the line: "Why can't you see how perfectly happy I am?" isn't the most believable pose to convince someone they're good in bed.

21. Finally, a movie I can agree actors deserved a $30 million paycheck. Isn't that the going rate for a soul?

22. I believe in Guilty Pleasures. Although, to call 'Twilight' that, would only be half-right.

23. Some women are undeniably psychic when it comes to pregnancy. For example, Bella acts constipated for roughly 2 weeks prior to her actual conception.

24. I admit: I've never been to war. But, I can imagine watching this is what it's like seeing someone's arm getting blown off.

25. How…can…anyone…keep a straight face with dialogue such as "'Kind' is my middle name"?

26. Pitching a movie in Hollywood should always take longer than the writing of the screenplay. Right?

27. Breakfast of champions: Chicken, Peanut Butter and Vomit. I wonder if she's pregnant.

28. Failed attempt at positivity: It's not as bad I thought it would be. It's worse.

sooo bad

Author: Roger Jacobsen from Norway
27 January 2012

Probably one of the worst movies i have ever seen. The movie itself was boring, with no twists or highlights what so ever. The acting, just terrible. No real emotions, or a connection with the audience. Thank god i downloaded this, and therefor didn't waste any money on it. I liked the first Twilight movie. Because, like someone else said, it was new and exciting. But this one, no, simply horrible. I would not recommend this movie to anyone. The only reason this movie is not a huge flop. Is because of all the 12 year old girls who watch it without considering the over all quality of the film. I hope movies like this, does not become a trend within the movie community. Its nothing but a forced, and failed try, in making a good sequel to the first movie, and a good adaptation of the book.

One of the worst movies ever made

Author: djo_34 from United States
31 January 2012

I watched the first movie in the saga because my wife loved the books. I must say, the acting was good, except for Stewart who is a cold fish. She looks confused or depressed. That is the scope of her acting abilities. The character development was good. The plot was good. And there was enough suspense, mystery and action to make the movie solid.

New Moon introduced the werewolves and Volturi, which added new mystery and suspense. But the Volturi were never heard from again.

In Eclipse, no werewolf makes an appearance until over an hour into the film. And you are already snoring within 40 minutes.

Finally, Breaking Dawn. In the first hour we see a wedding and honeymoon full of pathetic dialog, weak acting, and ZERO imagination. It was slower than a Lifetime production, with less romance, mystery, intrigue, suspense, and action. Stewart's character states it was the best night of her life, yet still not even a smile. She would be fantastic if casted as a corpse.

After watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes, the CG werewolves look like they were rendered in 1991. They look to be about 1200 pounds. They snarl and human voices are heard... but their bark is worst than their bite as no one dies or even gets injured. There movements and interaction with their environment look extremely fake.

The final 10 seconds of the film hold the only suspense or intrigue in the entire movie. These greedy bastards just want teens to pay for two movies when they could have rolled it into one. They could have started the movie with "I Do", shown a quick scene of Bella getting knocked up and getting morning sickness, then the 15 minute finale. This movie was simply a 20 minute prelude to Part Two stretched into 2 hours.

Get your neighbor to rent it, borrow it for 30 minutes and watch the last 15 minutes and you are ready for Part Two.

Page 2 of 45:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]