IMDb > Frozen (2010/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Frozen

Frozen More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Fascinating... a very hard trick to pull off with no human adversary!

Author: johnnymonsarrat from United States
11 February 2010

The magic of Frozen is that there's no badguy. It's just humans against nature. I was worried at first that the film would be slow paced. I mean, how many things can happen within such a small space?

It turns out: plenty. Although time passes during the movie, the film does not give in to drawn out melodramatic sequences. They fight against nature, but the film is structured to attack them from all sides at once, but also in a way that's not transparently unrealistic. (Although personally I feel that nobody would have survived the cold and dehydration of the first night.)

We even learn a little about the characters, in a way that's more convincing than most disaster films, I am thinking for example of The Poseidon Adventure. There are no stereotypes here.

And they make mistakes. This isn't like Die Hard where the protagonist cleverly thinks of everything. Everything about the film, including their being trapped up so high, falls together like a series of coincidences, and that makes it even more horrific, because you start to believe that it might actually happen. There's even a little comedy to offset the horror, towards the beginning.

There is some gore in the film, but hugely less than I was led to believe. This is no Quentin Tarantino film and no slasher film either.

So having said what it's not, what is it? It's a thrilling look at how, even though we humans have extended ourselves into nature with technology, how reliant we are on that technology. It's an intellectual thriller rather than a supernatural or a serial killer freakshow thriller. It's normal people without heroic powers stuck in a situation that is near to real, the "Lost in Translation" of horror films.

I though it was fantastic. I'll give Frozen a 9 out of 10.

Top-notch survival horror

Author: Justin Stokes from Cleburne, TX
12 May 2010

A college student goes on a weekend ski/snowboard outing with his girlfriend and his jealous buddy. It was supposed to be just the guys, but Parker came along, much to buddy Lynch's dismay. She is still learning, and as a result of this, the trio spends most of the day on a bunny slope. After some complaining from Lynch, they decide to go on a quick run down the mountain before the day is through, but there's bad weather moving in. They manage to convince the lift operator to let them go, but through a series of unfortunate circumstances, the lift is stopped midway up the mountain leaving them stuck as the place shuts down for the week. With bad weather, the freezing cold and a large drop between them and the ground, the chances for survival are looking slim. And that's not taking the pack of hungry wolves into account.

I caught this at the Parks Mall AMC back in February and thought it was fantastic. It's from the Open Water/Black Water/The Canyon school of survival horror. All of those films are intense portraits of people stuck in some form of wilderness nightmare with little hope of escape, but Frozen may just be my pick for best of the bunch. At one point early on into the trio's predicament, I discovered that I had unknowingly squeezed my hands together so tightly that they had fallen asleep, so it's safe to say that the tension got to me. The characters also really grew on me as the film wore on, and I actually felt really bad for them. This is Emma Bell's first film, and I was quite impressed with her performance. While she has a spotty moment or two, for a first-timer, I'd say she knocked it out of the park. Her standout scene takes place when she's relaying her fears about what might happen to her puppy if she dies on the lift, and if he'd think she abandoned him.

Kudos to Adam Green for shooting this film on location. There are no green-screens or studio sets to be found here. Green and company found an actual lift to go out and shoot on. Equal amounts of kudos must go to the actors, as they were the ones up on the lift braving the elements for the authenticity a film of this type needs. Their hard work and tolerance paid off, as I often felt like I was right there on the lift with the characters. The chilly atmosphere vividly leaps off the screen, the bleak nature of the situation in which these three find themselves never in doubt. This film also hit a little closer to home for me, as I spent a week of skiing, etc. in Winter Park, CO not two months prior to watching this at the theater. With that fresh in my mind, I was left with an even stronger feeling of "What if?".

Also effective is the sparingly used score, usually played over visuals of the abandoned ski park. There are some gruesome bits, particularly the hand scene from the trailer and a discovery towards the film's end, but most of the tension comes from the predicament itself and some of the debasing things the characters have to do. Needing to take a leak while stuck on a ski lift may not be a big deal if you're a guy, but Parker's options aren't so easy.

I didn't think much of Adam Green's Hatchet. Frozen, on the other hand, is worth raving about.

Good effort!

Author: mdnobles19 from United States
7 February 2010

I'm not jumping up and down for this one but I thought it was a very well done survival/thriller that had some shocking, gruesome scenes as well as some thrills and definitely chills. The acting was pretty decent but the stand out here is newcomer Emma Bell who gave an heartbreaking performance as one of the stranded skiers on a ski lift, man I felt all of her pain. I thought the director did a great job using different techniques with the camera and used his one location effectively that makes you think and feel that you're right there with them on that ski lift, the thought just terrifies me but doesn't make me fear going skiing just makes me think twice about going on a ski lift. I think it's a tad overrated saying it does for skiing what Jaws did for swimming, not really and to be honest it's more Open Water than Jaws just with more action and a different situation, sorry it just didn't put the fear in me, it just had me feeling sorry for them and rooting for them than actually being scared. It will have you thinking throughout questioning what would you do in that situation, what lengths would you go in order to survive and some of it to me wasn't plausible while other scenes were very realistic and will have you on the edge of your seat. What makes this so special is the fact that they took a simple idea and went to great lengths to make it powerful and had three leads that could be anyone's friend, sister, brother, lover and it makes you feel for them even more and makes the whole situation more unsettling and shattering with some scenes that will make you a little teary eyed, good effort. This film actually has a heart and is refreshing from most horror offerings lately but it's more of a drama/thriller and I can't wait to see what director Adam Green has up his sleeve next! Overall it could of had a slightly better conclusion and I don't think it's going to be the best genre flick of the year because I just don't see that happening but if you want to see something different, new and bone chilling go support Adam Green's latest effort Frozen, though more of a renter on a snowy night to me. Recommended!

enjoyable with a real sense of terror

Author: antoniotierno from Italy
24 March 2011

The director (whom I didn't know before this movie) gets to generate an authentic tension from a real suspense story: the panic gripping the trio is absolutely palpable, although the strong implausibility of no one having a cellphone is not that believable. The terror due to their predicament mounts minute by minute and is made genuine by showing a harsh environment and by imposing tension on each of the characters. The cast is not famous at all but the way the story is set and the three personalities are described keeps attention and tension high and strong. I recommend it also for the wonderful location (movie shot in Utah's Rockies).

Unintentional comedy

Author: mickeybitsko from United States
10 December 2010

I spent a dollar and this at Redbox and I feel violated. This movie wouldn't make it as a circa 1970s made-for-television flick. If you dropped your glove in freezing temperatures wouldn't you put your hand in your pocket or something? Wouldn't it occur to at least 1 out of the 3 people to ZIP UP THEIR COAT all the way? Wouldn't any skier with even one run's worth of experience know that your feet freeze if you let them dangle off the chair lift for more than a few minutes? Wouldn't common sense dictate that you wrap your legs around the cable and slide down "commando style" instead of hanging your full weight from your frozen fingers? (I speak from experience here.) Couldn't they actually check to see if there are wolves in New England before writing them into the script? Why would the cable cut the guy's hands to ribbons? (They're maintained very carefully and kept greased. They are not "sharp.") What are the odds they'd get stuck on the ONE chair with a loose bolt? Why was the ski resort closed all week when the next day's weather was perfect? This movie was written by people who have never been skiing, have no understanding of how chair lifts are constructed, couldn't be bothered to learn where wolves live and where they don't....what an embarrassment. And somebody thought this was a good enough idea that they ponied up several million dollars to make it. At least I'm only out a buck. It could be worse.

A chilling film ;p

Author: lahna_may from Australia
23 November 2012

Okay so this was a great movie, but i never want to watch it again.

Ever.

You get so involved with their situation and you're sucked into it, you feel their pain and horror. Ir leaves you feeling unsettled. A lot like 'Buried' did if you have seen that film.

95% of the film is set in the same location but this doesn't mean it is boring at all. Absolutely not.

So be prepared for an unsettling experience if you choose to watch this film.

By no means is it bad though, it just motivates powerful feelings.

Just chillin'

Author: abgkasjlkasjla from Denmark
7 May 2011

Three college students are confined to a skilift suspended far above ground, isolated, with no one knowing about it(and no way to contact anyone), and realize that since they could be there for days while the resort is closed, they have to take matters into their own hands. That in itself wouldn't be enough to keep us interested, so there's conflict introduced right away, and the characters(and yes, we mostly focus on this trio), rather than being obnoxious, are sufficiently likable and different from one another. We have two friends that grew up together, and one of them now has a girlfriend, and that friend is now having trouble "choosing" between the other two, or making equal time for them. No one is shown as right or wrong in the situation, and we sympathize with all three. And yes, one of them is Iceman. I guess he doesn't have a handle on his powers yet. This is about the will to live, and we find ourselves really dreading into the threatening environment. Tension is built well(and it does not let up, there is *no* relief), there are no jumpscares, and the sound-side does much of it... we do see a bit(there's a little brutal, bloody, gory violence in this), though. I couldn't help cheer and yell advice at the screen. You want these people to make it. The acting is good. Dialog is realistic. This plays on primal fears, hypothermia, being eaten, heights, etc. The pacing is well-done, you don't stop caring... there are developments(not enough for it to be overwhelming), they're not just whining about their problem, and what happens is effective. Make-up and other FX are a bit hit and miss. This is 85 minutes sans credits. Done by the director of Spiral, while this is not as psychologically stunning as that, it does really *work*. It's entirely practically done, with no CGI, and yes, they were up there for filming. I recommend this to anyone who likes the concept. 7/10

...never going skiing. Ever.

Author: Herpumpkin from United States
8 March 2011

For a film that mainly revolves around a cast of three to carry the movie, seven stars can seem like seventeen. What makes this film work is the realism. Every choice, every consequence, everything! Like a movie studio trying to emulate the moments before a car accident, then its aftermath.

I'm not one of these reviewers that will take you through the entire plot of the film. Especially in this case. This film's simplicity works. Three skiers accidentally get forgotten on a ski lift as the resort closes for the week.

That's it! Yet, this simple formula works better than any horror movie I have seen in a long, LONG time! This opinion may be a little biased and I'll tell you why. Personally, I am petrified of open heights. Adam Green's chosen camera placements are well picked, never once allowing any hints of fiction into the story. That's the beauty of shooting on location, despite how deadly the location can be.

Deadly, indeed! This movie really got under my skin. Not in anyway gore-filled, like "Hatchet" or its sequel. So for all the gore-hounds out there scanning the reviews for bloody details before watching it, make-up effects enthusiasts won't be completely disappointed, but it's no "Hatchtet". However, Adam Green focuses more on his Actor's/Actresses' reactions to the horrors within the film. This works! Lord, does it work! I'm a huge GOREHOUND, I welcome squeamish scenes, but the subtle incidents that happen to these characters while exposed to harsh weather works better than a graphic depiction of a chainsaw to the gut! I'm almost ashamed to admit that I had to turn away and groan at what I witnessed on screen! This is from someone who giggled like a girl-scout throughout "A Serbian Film"! "Frozen" works! In all the right ways! My only complaints about the film are the lack of themes. Usually a survival-horror like this contains some smug theme that ties the film together, a topic the film tries to make aware to its audience. Romero does the aforementioned flawlessly, just to provide one example. "Dawn of the Dead" and its issue of consumerism. For example, one would assume that being trapped with two other people in a situation like that, the throes of "cabin fever" would naturally work its way into the script. Yet, Adam Green chooses to focus on the reality of the situation his characters find themselves in. As a result, the film remains simple. Leaving the audience with no other thought to ponder upon besides their own feelings of fear. To some, this may be a compliment to the film, to others, a weak link.

The dialogue is probably the strongest device in the film. Revolving your film around only three characters, the script better be able to keep the dialogue interesting or your audience is going to give up on these characters. Adam Green's dialogue is just that, interesting. Realizing the situation the characters find themselves in, the conversations that follows feels significant, but above all genuine. Dialogue, outweighs the action, so be prepared for a lot of talking. However, when the action arrives it's like an avalanche; disastrous, yet magnetic. I was, literally, frozen, couldn't take my eyes off the screen.

I've said enough...

To reiterate a few points, I have to say, again, this film really shook me. After it was over I had a deeper appreciation for the bed I was watching it in. I also made a vow never, EVER to go skiing.

Spine tingling...

Author: BangledTail from Canada
24 September 2010

SO I picked up Frozen from work and brought it home to watch. I read a few reviews on here first and I was a little leery after that.. but it wasn't what I expected. Usually wolves are badly depicted in films, terribly misrepresented and maligned, but not in this film. It keeps you grounded in terrible reality the whole time.

Terrifying, brutal, bloody reality.. good acting, good story I really enjoyed this movie, and I generally don't like scary movies, I often find them cheesy and poorly acted. This film was different and I would really recommend watching it by yourself on a cold winters night.. It'll give you a nice chill.

Most idiot movie ever

Author: stefinlithuania from Lithuania
10 September 2010

First,on IMDb. Did you notice there is no "goof" section? Did you notice that the "trivia" section is crammed with chit chat about how difficult and dangerous was the filming? This is all from the production studio, it's a marketing trick to sell and advertise the most idiot, illogical, implausible move of the decade (maybe longer). There are so many illogical things (even assuming that the three skiers are completely brainless), it's not easy to write them down. Some among the "not involved in this moron movie production" reviewers already mentioned a few. I'll point out that: 1. the chairlift cable is at best at tree-top level, as can be seen in various scenes (say at 1:10:54, but there are various shot of the whole track, for ex. at 26:03), so that leaning from the bottom of the chair will make at best some 5-6 m. jump on fresh snow; 2. assuming that if you jump you won't jump to fall strait on your legs, you could instead make some sort of rope with whatever clothes and equipment you have with you; 3.the way to close a sky-lift is not to say "wait for the last three to come down" (which is illogical, as you don't know how many people form previous trips are still skiing on the mountain), its to put a red flag on a chair (as clearly seen at 18:56 ); 4. the resort could never be closed for days because of bad weather; in fact the morning after the sky is clearly clear and bright (1:10:00, even as at 1:12:00 is oddly already gray with heavy snow); such a closure in high season would result in dramatic loss of money; 5. if in such resort there are wolf packs roaming (which is quite improbable, given wolves habits), the whole track would at least been protected by a net-fence; this also prevents accidents if a skier would lose the track, or deliberately try to get off it; 6. before jumping try to get to the nearest pole, especially if your limb are not yet frozen and you are not wearing heavy and cumbersome ski-boots (she doesn't, for example); These are some of the illogical issues of the movie. I'm eager to see when the "goof" section will be created. It will be hilarious. The vote is 1 but fitting would be some -35.

Page 1 of 31:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]