IMDb > Going the Distance (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Vidiot Reviews...

Author: capone666 from Canada
4 December 2010

Going the Distance

Thanks to technology, you can meet, date and dump a person without ever having met him or her in person.

However, the newly dating and distantly challenged couple in this romantic-comedy would rather the face-to-face.

When record label scout Garrett (Justin Long) fortuitously encounters Erin (Drew Barrymore), an intern at the local paper, in a New York bar, he and his two friends (Jason Sudeikis, Charlie Day) instantly take a shine to her.

Turning their one-night stand into a "thing", all are grief-stricken when Erin must return to San Francisco to finish her journalism degree.

To ease their pain, they decide that it would be a good idea to continue their affair far away from each other.

Containing keen observations on the subject, and a seminal comedic performance from Charlie Day, Going the Distance works.

Now, if there was only a way you could continue a long deceased relationship. (Green Light)

Going the Distance, Cliché set up yet quite entertaining. R-rated jokes and scenes provide all the entertainment

Author: Saad Khan from Pakistan
28 November 2010

GOING THE DISTANCE – CATCH IT ( B ) Going the Distance, Cliché set up yet quite entertaining. I think its R-rated jokes and scenes provide all the entertainment because the screenplay is quite loose and all over the place. Long Distance relationships are tough, I agree but eventually the person who is unhappy in their job has to move which does happened in the end, so we already have seen this coming. Weak screenplay is secured by indecent humor and R-rated dialogues. Drew Barrymore & Justin Long share good chemistry and this makes the movie engaging. The most funniest scene was when Christina Applegate walks in on Drew & Justin having Sex on Dinner table and sees her husband having dinner on the same table in the Dark. I love the line "they came so fast that I didn't know what to do" Hahhaha :-D. Christina Applegate is great as always. All creepy friends of Justin Long are able to provide filthy humor. Oliver Jackson-Cohen, the English Lad was Hot, Love the way he says "My MUM" LOL. Overall with all its cliché setup and characterizations, its pretty entertaining. Watch it!

Don't let the negative reviews fool you!LMFAO!

Author: fxfrank909 from United States
26 November 2010

F.BOMBS this movie has it TOILET HUMOR Charlie Day is in this have you seen "Sunny in Philadelphia"

In many supposedly made primary movies for women having any adult humor at all is looked down upon when all I see is truth. Being in a relationship is not always G-rated having said this I love the approach this movie made going by what happens in a real relationship when two people meet who have a sense of humor and get each other that is the main point. They fell in love because they have same outlook on life and in my opinion made it more believable.

Garrett cracks a few wise humor jokes with Erins friends and family and they don't get it but she does. She also doesn't mind how sometimes his friends can be overly obnoxious which makes them click on a better level. All that mattered for me is I saw chemistry in this movie and it worked. ( Great Acting ) So give this movie a chance and try not be a stick in the mud about it.

if u want more g-rated 50first dates/meet joe black/princess bride all good also

Not Just A Mushy Chick Flick

Author: Sharit Sinha from India
16 November 2010

This is one of those rare romantic comedies, that are perfect for both guys and girls. The plot is not just a mushy romantic fantasy, it bases itself on a very honest and harsh contemporary reality - long-distance relationship, and tests the protagonists (Justin Long and Drew Barrymore) how much can they stretch themselves to reach over. What adds to the package beautifully is the super-funny dialogues spread out in the whole movie... they will keep giving you -laugh-out-aloud moments. The content is a little too much for children so parents must read the Advisory first.

Coming to acting, Justin Long is superlative as always. Drew Barrymore just DOESN'T get old and keeps getting better at acting in every movie! I loved Christina Applegate's over-protective character too! On a whole, a loving, beautiful, must-watch movies.... specially for people who are in love... this might just help you to look at the bottle half-filled rather than half-empty! Enjoy!!

Quite nice...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
13 November 2010

This movie was actually nicer than I had anticipated.

That being said, let's move on to the details. First of all, the story is nicely put together, it is easy to understand and submerge yourself into, and if you have ever been in a long distance relationship, this movie will hit the right spot immediately. Given it being a romantic comedy, there are elements in the movie that were really nice. The movie has just enough comedy without being over the edge. There were moments in the movie that had me laughing hard.

The cast of the movie was good, and they did good jobs with their roles. And at no point did the dialogue ever come to a halt or a stand-still. There was a good enough chemistry between Barrymore and Long, though it could have used that extra spark. But all in all, it was working well enough.

"Going the Distance" differs from so many other romantic comedies, and it has a somewhat deeper level to it and more aspects to its story and plot line. If you haven't seen this movie already, you should take the time to do so.

funny mainly thanks to Drew Barrymore

Author: andrew-race from United Kingdom
10 October 2010

In some ways describing this film as a romcom is misleading there is indeed rom and a great deal of com but for a lot of men the word drips with sentimentality whereas a lot of Going the Distance is a far broader comedy. A great deal of inventive swearing and a certain amount of sexual imagery - I don't remember Sleepless in Seattle having a scene of two men discussing how the angle of one's head seemed to suggest he was giving himself a blow-job! The guys as a sort of chorus is funny as is the steely persona of Christina Applegate, but for me it is drew who carries it,she makes you laugh a lot out loud,she is a good physical comic,watch out for her drunk in a bar- and she carries you through the occasional longueurs of the film. Well worth seeing

A decent adult romantic comedy about long distance relationship

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
9 October 2010

If your one of those audiences that enjoy a lot of adult humor, than you will probably enjoy this film. It's a adult romance comedy, that is executed pretty well, not perfectly but done alright. I especially liked the realism in this movie, well at least for the most part and the dialogue and the performances were all believable. Which is the most positive aspect of this movie, cause a lot of people that have or had long distance relationships can relate with it. Although the long distance relationship aspect of the film was done pretty good, but as the film dragged on I started to not care if this couple got together in the end or drifted apart. Mainly cause it seemed like without each other, their life is still going well and it needed to go in the direction where they are constantly sobbing and getting drunk in order to show the audience how much they miss each other. But the thing is even without each other, they still seemed happy with their life. And didn't seemed to show enough struggle with what they are going through in a way they really need each other. On a positive note the main couple in this is likable, but the adult humor was somewhat funny but isn't great.

7.3/10

I liked it, But I didn't love it

Author: Highest-Echelon from United Kingdom
24 September 2010

I really like Drew Barrymore, this part was perfect for her to bring her tomboyish charm, because on the page this female lead could have been slightly annoying.

Garrett (Justin Long) too played his part well, although I just didn't find him attractive, I was confused though, as I couldn't work out if I was suppose too, but then again if they cast a much more beautiful actor then perhaps the character might have been slightly unbelievable.

Christina Applegate was great as always, she was my favourite.

Some scenes are hilarious, but some of the dialogue is a bit off putting, I am no prude but some of it was a bit distasteful.

If you like Pretty Woman, then you'll like this, just not as much though.

Worst movie I've seen in a long time...

Author: panfryd from United States
21 April 2012

As a romantic comedy, this is one of my favorite movie genres. With Drew Barrymore and Christina Applegate, I was expecting a good movie ... especially with its current IMDb rating of 6.4. I can usually count on any movie rated 6 or higher on IMDb to be at least worth watching.

This movie did have a few hilarious moments and was well made with some good acting. But, for one thing, I've never heard so much completely unnecessary profanity. I don't think I've ever seen any movie where the F--- word was uttered so many times ... and in a romantic comedy??? Not just much more than necessary, but I bet well over 100 times. These people had such foul mouths I couldn't identify with them. I'm no prude, but the "stars" didn't utter a sentence that didn't contain at least one foul word, or three ... It became very distracting. Maybe the screenwriter was paid by the amount of profanity he could cram in.

If that wasn't enough, the movie was totally inane ... following every worn out recipe. It is extremely rare for a movie to be so very bad that I can't bear to finish watching it, but this one reached that mark. After suffering through it almost to the end, I couldn't take it any more and finally got up (at that point, I didn't really care how it ended). This was a terrible, terrible movie! I rated it a 4, mainly because of the few very funny bits.

where's Cary Grant when you need him?

Author: otterman62 from surrey, england
11 November 2011

My wife and I watched this on a lazy afternoon, simply hoping for a harmless rom-com. Sadly the film left me deeply depressed at the state of modern film making and after 10 minutes or so I was desperately wishing that we had people still making the sort of films Cary Grant used to be in. It's just my opinion but what was wrong with this film was the following, I like Drew Barrymore but she's getting too old for these roles, she looked like Justin Long's mum at times. Justin Long, see previous comment re Cary Grant, in comparison Justin has the charm and screen presence of a house brick. The script, I swear a lot and i'm not a prude but putting f*** in every sentence is not a substitute for wit or sharp dialogue. There was no chemistry between the leads, and the basic premise of the story, a romance hampered by them being on opposite sides of the USA just lead to them both looking selfish,or too stupid to discuss a compromise rather than sympathising with their plight. Also re the script the use of "crazy" friends is fine , as long as they again provide some wit or sharp dialogue rather than that talking over each other, and just adding some toilet based rubbish. In sports if people fail or foul they can be punished by suspensions,we should have the same system in films, its a pity that whoever wrote this can't be suspended for a year or get points on their "writing licence" so next time you know they are rated as a no star writing team..........i'm off to watch that Touch of Mink on DVD. Thanks for listening.

Page 7 of 12: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]