IMDb > Going the Distance (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Going the Distance

Going the Distance More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Thank you for the take out....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
30 May 2011

Erin's 31, a journalism student at Stanford and, for the summer, an intern at a New York daily.

She meets Garrett at a bar, they hit it off, and, for the rest of the summer, are inseparable.

But, can the relationship grow - or even survive - at a distance? Erin, who put her professional life on hold once before for a man, gets advice from her married sister, Corinne, and he gets running commentary from his best friend Box and his roommate Dan - both clueless about women.

Garrett, who doesn't much like his job at a record company, looks for work in the Bay Area, Erin tries to find a reporting job in New York, but as these efforts fail, is there any hope?......

Barrymore and Long are a likable couple in this, and the chemistry is there throughout the movie. For anyone who has had a long distance relationship, the paranoia element rings true, and is well handled.

Yes, there is a lot of profanity in the movie, but this is refreshing, as most of these types of movies are way too sugary and cute for my liking.

It's sort of an anti-rom com, the two leads are there, as are the token friends/family, but he film has a little nasty dark edge to it, which takes the sugar coating away from the film.

It's a good movie, Barrymore and long are as good as always, and are ably supported.

There is still hope for romantic comedies

Author: nnenok from Slovenia
16 April 2011

In the latest years Hollywood served us a long line of romantic comedies, which all follow the exact same pattern to the point where it is possible to describe every story without even hearing facts of it. Going the distance is a pleasant change, like a grown-up version of this genre. When you expect the so-many-times-seen big mistake that screws up the relationship, they avoid it, when you expect an offended storm out, they discuss it as grown-ups. Most of the clichés are avoided and the main twists in the story are positioned elsewhere. All the unnecessary drama is removed, because it is nicely shown life is problematic anyway. The characters are likable and Christina Applegate is interestingly very well suited for a role of a slightly miserable housewife. I guess the point of the movie is that this kind of story can happen to anyone, not just to a certain amount of people with the carefully calculated amount of chance. I'm proud of Hollywood today.

The funniest scene of any movie I've ever seen.

Author: Thomas Engels from Brussels, Belgium
19 February 2011

Going The Distance starts off as a 30-something relationship comedy with all the props in the right place: Garret, a spinner for a boring record label meets Erin, a budding journalist, while she makes the top score for a video game. On the side we have Garret's whacky buddies and, later on, Erin's slightly square older sister.

Garret and Erin get together but soon have to separate as Erin moves from New York to San Francisco.

In the first 10 minutes, I wasn't impressed because the whole scenery looked so bland and standard, a simple rehash of earlier comedies of the same vein. But as the story developed, I found myself drawn into the movie. The characters are all well cast, if we forget for a moment that Drew Barrymore, although her usual likable self, looked rather drawn and tired and thus a little too old for her part.

The story is well-written and believable, and before I knew it Erin and Garrett were apart and more or less suffering their long distance relationship. Everybody has either had one or knows somebody who does. So it's all quite familiar.

That is also the biggest criticism I can make: the story is never really refreshing or offering a new angle. It's just a solid script, solidly cast, solidly directed.

The highlights of Going The Distance are a few of the funniest scenes I've ever seen, one of which drew a crazy clucking laugh that lasted hours after the movie was finished.

Conclusion: I liked this movie in spite of its lack of originality. It is worth every cent invested and will have you laughing and crying with the main characters.

A Sometimes Beautiful and Annoying Movie That Informs

Author: tabuno from utah
12 February 2011

When dramatic comedy fiction attempts to highlight relational reality the collision between the two can be both entertaining and jarring. Going The Distance has both authenticity and hyper-sensationalism (especially the front end of the movie). The jug of wine scene was too over the top lame. The masturbation discussion on a public sidewalk while waiting of the light to change also seemed to be a bit of an irritating stretch put in the script more supposedly for some cool effect rather than a genuine, authentic richly cute dialogue.

Yet, the airport scene was a nice attempt to probe deeper into our own past inhibitions and weaknesses towards a more progressive hypothetical fantasy of romantic possibilities. There is also the brief but wickedly serious, brutal verbal attack by the husbands of Drew Barrymore's character's sisters that cuts razor slashes on the long distance romantic relationship though the wive's perspective is oddly anticipated but missing.

Yet when awkward moment with Barrymore's co-worker in a club becomes biting and reveals something about relationships and other friends along with the scene inserts that seems not smoothly incorporated into the overall tone of the preceding movie's progression to this point that a critical reassessment occurs. Maybe the annoying undercurrent midway through the movie is real life and that sometimes comes out of seemingly nowhere and intrudes upon our own fantasies and dreams of a perfect life. Perhaps also in real life the fantasy collides into reality and the serious drama occurs as in this movie, yet the movie genre of romantic comedy seems violated halfway through the movie and begins to center on uncertain territory of human relationships faced with real long distance relationship issues. Whether or not the movie script succeeds is gray on this point. The conflict scenario seems to reflect the generic stereotypical female/male dichotomy of sensitive female, insensitive male (including the drinking).

The end of the movie, the catharsis evolves into an informative reveal about the dilemmas many of us face and about the possibilities and the road less travelled and we the audience are better for it.

Long distance is not easy

Author: priyantha-bandara from Colombo -Sri Lanka
23 January 2011

My rating – 3/5 Going the Distance is not novel or unique but it has everything you may expect when watching a romantic comedy. Which obviously is the romance part and the comedy part. This movie has a good balance of both while keeping the audience wondering and glued to the story line. Even though I have seeing fat better romantic movies in past years 'Going the Distance' has its own things to talk about.

Erin (Drew Barrymore) is a summer intern in a New York news paper and six weeks away from leaving to her home town which is 3000miles in California. Garret is a employee for a record label in NY and pretty much hates the job and looking for a way out but both struggling due the tough recession times. This is where they first meet at a bar and starts a casual relationship knowing they have lots of things in common having only 6 weeks to spare. Fortunately for the script and unfortunately for them they fall in love so fast that when the 6 weeks pass by they find themselves starting up a long distance relationship.

And the rest of the story is about how they keeping in love, solving problems and most importantly trying to be there for one another while they are thousands of miles apart. If you have even being in one of those 'long distance' relationships you may know the drill. If not get a hunch by watching this! The script is catchy. It has some interesting moments in it + funny dialogues bundled. When it comes to romantic comedies there are always best friends of the couple or relations. This movie has both kinds and they fill in the void when the story starts to idle and does a very good job with that.

'Going the Distance' has a nice mood to it. It never rushes and it never boringly slows down as well. The story covers a long time span little over 2 years and the viewer is solidly kept in the time line. Performance wise I can't complaint either. Drew offers what she got and it's not a very tiring or a mind breaking roll to start with. Maybe pretending to be drunk was the toughest scene in the whole movie.

If you are mild at heart and likes some love and fun in a mix, 'Going the Distance' is just the right thing for you. Happy long distance loving!! Read more of my reviews at www.flickshout.blogspot.com

It is what it is

Author: reneweddan from United States
3 January 2011

I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy this film, but improvements were available in many situations. Although the acting was great, the humor was subtle at times and in a film such as this, you'd expect more.

Films such as these seem typical, but it also seems typical for the outcome and the plot to be unusually different compared to similar films, although if done too often, this becomes typical as well. In other words, the Rom-com situation in this film varied only slightly compared to my predictions.

It's a film worth watching, especially if you're a fan of the actors in the film (as I am). It's a light film that is easily enjoyable, although if you're crunched for time, you might want to take a rain check.

Don't expect this film to move mountains, but don't underestimate the importance of casual entertainment and how easy it is to relax one's self rather than trying to understand a complex web of alter egos and dream sequences.

F bomb and bong

Author: answering from Canada
2 January 2011

I thought the F bomb was dropped so much that it appeared forced and awkward. It was way over the top and didn't fit at all for the movie nor the main actors in the movie. It was dropped so much that it put the focus on the word and took away from the plot. It did not seem natural at all. And as for the bong scene....totally not necessary. Again it did not suit the movie nor the actors. These two facts that I have mentioned took away from the movie and I felt was beneath the standard of acting for Drew and Justin. Overall I thought the movie was cute and had potential to be a good movie. I thought there could have been more substance to it.

Apart

Author: kosmasp
28 December 2010

Sometimes a little bit of distance isn't that bad. But it seems that Drew and Justin cannot be without each other (apparently they are or were an item during and/before filming this movie). I wouldn't have known that, if hadn't read it in a film magazine recently. But it does make sense, because their chemistry is really good and one of the more positive aspects of the movie.

Other than that we have great cameos (like Jim Gaffigans intro, though you might have seen it in the trailer) and very nice scenes overall. Unfortunately the script could have been better off with a rewrite. Not that it will matter to the group of people it is aiming at, but some things seem awfully wrong at times.

Still one of the better Rom-Com's of recent years and hats off for going R-Rated rather than making it (completely) sweet and cute. Won't convince males who hate those movies any differently, but they won't be completely appalled by it either (generally)

Going the Distance: 7/10

Author: jnguyen46117 from USA
23 December 2010

Hollywood has successfully produced many crappy romantic comedies and made most people bored of rom-coms. I personally hates romantic comedies and doesn't care much for watching them. But given this is R-rated and Justin Long is the lead, I figured I'd give it a chance. Plus, it is my job to watch and review all the films. Going the Distance does a have plot that Hollywood overused, but the likable lead and the supporting cast is irresistibly funny that you have to forgive/forget the cliché plot. Drew Barrymore and Justin Long undeniably have great chemistry with one another and they should definitely do more work together. Accompanied by scene-stealer Christina Applegate, Going the Distance's cast couldn't have been better. Sometimes the pacing is off but it was made up by the fast-moving parts of the film. Whenever the director felt that there was a weak spot, he put in some ridiculous jokes or make the cast do something funny to make up for it. At times I felt like the movie is going off somewhere else and not focusing much on the plot. It was helped by the pacing and unoriginal materials, but Going the Distance managed to do certain things that most rom-coms never do, thoroughly entertain its audience.

A great romantic comedy!

Author: thekyles99 from Canada
18 December 2010

Wow i accidentally stumbled across this movie thinking..meh! The wife will like it cause Drew Barrymore is in it and i always, although don't run to see his flicks have found Justin Long an enjoyable presence on the big screen. Wow when i started this film did i at anytime think that i would be scoring it a perfect 5 but i have to do it, it deserves that much. Extremely well written and Long and Barrymore's on screen chemistry is crazy, i can see why they are presently a couple in the real world. Long plays Garrett a 30 something record label employee who has stuck to this job even though quite often he is forced to represent bands he cannot stand. Barrymore plays Erin a 31 year old intern and wannabe journalist who interns at a reputable magazine doing freelance writing and then returns to her main paying job of waitressing at a bar. One night they are at the same bar, Garrett gets dumped by his girlfriend only to me immediately bump into Erin and their relationship ensues. This movie is most definitely a couple film, I wont by any means declare it a chick flick as I'm sure most guys who watch this will say it is. It's one of the better films i have seen this year and i really didn't know it existed up until not too long ago! If you and your romantic partner are looking for a good snuggle up flick that actually has some breathless laugh moments, actually quite a few, give this a shot!

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]