IMDb > Going the Distance (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Going the Distance

Going the Distance More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Much MUCH worse than a bad movie. New definition of bad is required!

Author: Nicomachean from United Kingdom
16 January 2011

This movie is so awful it defies words. After the first 20 minutes I felt like flying to America and chocking everyone to death with my bear hands. And then choke every single moron that has written a good review for this movie on IMDb or anywhere else. And then reserve some especially painful death for the megamoron who actually wrote the script - it is that bad.

Its so bad it even makes 'Perfect Hideout', which is hands down the worst movie ever made, look and feel like a masterpiece.

As I said, I only watched for 20 minutes, had I stayed for little bit longer I would by know have irreversible Tourettes, hence all the swearing.

The jokes, I mean 'the jokes', compare to my nephew's who doubles laughing about saying poo. I am not exaggerating, they are literally of that calibre. I cannot blame the actors for that, even though they were sh*t too, but the writer. How could he think that that script was funny is beyond me. He definitely need some sort of very expensive therapy or some very strong pills, never mind if the side effects are absolute blindness, it is still worth it.

Acting at best mediocre, but for real, not worthy of a school play. You don't feel like laughing but more like strangling everybody who speaks. The world that they portray may well be in Mars or perhaps a different galaxy for no one on god's green earth, apart from some retarded 2 year old speaking monkeys, lives this way. Or at least so I hope. Awful awful movie. I feel better now that I have ranted for a while.

4th grade mentality

Author: Bigdaddy from United States
31 December 2010

Drew stoops to a new low. Who writes this stuff? Daddy, I need to hear a dirty word like BUTT or other dirty words or bodily functions that I can understand so I can laugh? (Hint: Pick up a book and expand you vocabulary so you have other options as to what is humorous) I can't give a movie a good review unless it's built with skill and this movie is not. Built with the mind of a abused 4th grader.

It's like walking through a field of dung and having to eat it along the way and then giving the experience a good rating because of that one small piece of not totally digested chicken that you found and ate.

A movie needs to inspire the mind, not this so called reality for the so called less fortunate who have simply made the choice to exist at the bottom of the pool. I don't buy into the trash when I live in America where I have a black man as president and countless others who have risen to the top simply because they aspired to.

This movie is a waste of film and an insult to those who have made the choice to live in the world of better.

Not Drew's best effort or choice of scripts

Author: Cole_Thornton from United States
6 September 2010

This seemed like a very weak attempt to break out of the traditional romantic comedy mold and you were left wondering if the actors themselves even cared to read the script before signing on to this half- baked effort. There was very weak chemistry between Long and Barrymore that led to little or no interest in whether the story could make the distance or not.

The main characters were stale and no amount of f-bombs and over the top crude humor made the trip any more enjoyable. In fact the script left you wondering if Drew Barrymore was desperate for money or something else that forced her to take her often played love-struck romantic character to such a low level. Other than a few laughs from the supporting cast, this was a terrible movie.

A Nutshell Review: Going the Distance

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
2 September 2010

The draw of Going the Distance will undoubtedly be its leading stars of Justin Long and Drew Barrymore, being an on-off-on real life couple and the premise of a long distance relationship will likely not be lost on these two. I'm not sure how many of you will subscribe to or are currently in a relationship where the distance put between you and your loved one means a meet up only once in a few months, whether that initial affection felt will be sufficient to sustain a commitment after the novelty wears off.

And in this film, Geoff LaTulippe's story outlines most of the immediate pitfalls and concerns about long distance relationships that it'll likely scare you off from one anyhow. The perils here translate to not being able to enjoy what other couples in a "normal" relationship do, having to rely on technology to bridge that distance, and the raking up of phone bills to engage in decent conversation, or something kinkier. Then there's the fear of someone else cheating on you, since you're out of sight hence out of mind. I suppose love requires nurturing, and without being able to do so on a fairly constant basis, means an extraordinary amount of effort to make things work.

But that's only the first part. See, I told you Going the Distance casts doubts despite its comedy at the right places to lift the film from its doom and gloom, nevermind if director Nanette Burstein manages to hook you in and convince you to root for the leads Erin (Barrymore) a soon to graduate journalist intern, and Garrett (Long) the record label employee told to babysit and promote some young kids band whom the record company is hoping to be the next Jonah Brothers. The bigger question here when the relationship stables and matures, is who's going to make the move to be with the other, permanently, as a sign of commitment.

Ah, that C word. Moving means uprooting your life, forgoing your friends, family and frankly, career as well as you choose to be with someone who stands a significant place in your heart. Like Erin, this represents a risky leap of faith, albeit confusing too when the head and heart battles it out for rationality, that may end up with losing out on everything when the relationship sours, as Eric had experienced before, thus losing a part of her life as an undergraduate that she now has to play catch up. Somehow the premise of the film makes you contemplate whether you're likely to plunge into something like this, or if you're already in one, take stock at where you're at now.

The film has Barrymore and Long to thank for, because when they're on song, and I suspect some scenes here inevitably has real emotions being expressed especially in many off the cuff banter that seems too natural to be staged or scripted. They make a cute couple, and play off each other really well in both scenes intended to tickle your funny bone, and the emotionally dramatic ones that call on them digging a little deeper to express their fears and desires. Co- stars Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis as best friends of Garrett also help to Unfortunately with this film being the typical Hollywood rom-com means the sticking to an expected feel good formula, as well as just scratching the surface of the issues it raises for the most parts.

Such as the deliberate crafting of their occupations, where making fleeting and sweeping statements of the state of the music and newspaper industry wasn't minced, and you get periodic reminders of it. It makes passing remarks on the eventual demise of newspapers (and hence the massive layoffs) due to the advent of the blog, and how record labels lament not making a lot of money, when they're heavily investing in crap that can be manufactured off an assembly line, rather than to put their weight behind more worthy, talented acts. The Boxer Rebellion, featured in the film, will be a band that I will checking out real soon as part of the movie's eclectic soundtrack.

My firts viewing

Author: Mr Black from The First row
12 August 2016

I picked this up on DVD without ever even hearing of it, so wasn't sure what to expect. At first I thought, "this is going to be disappointing" but as the film went on I started really enjoying it. I thought they dropped the 'f bomb' a little too much, but I think that's just a case of writers trying to be 'cool' or something. All in all it was what you would expect - a romantic comedy. There's some really really good laugh out loud lines and scenes, especially with the guys. I though Drew Barrymore was exceptional. No real acting seen here. More of a very real natural performance I thought. Very natural. I thought she came off very good. Same with Christina Applegate. Thought she did a great job. So did the rest of the cast.

Trashy 0/10

Author: Movie Champion from Canada
28 December 2015

Have you ever been out on a date with someone who seems very enduring, only ending up to discovering that they have a trashy personality. The romantic comedy film, titled Going the Distance can be described up the same way.

The film is a bunch of trash. Its nothing but stupid jokes with no substance. To make things worse, theirs no romance in this show. With that stated I must also state the effort that has clearly been put in to the writing of the script is puzzling. Dose the screenwriter think he is something or do the actors and actresses manage to mess up extraordinarily. In My opinion it's both, that are an horrible mess, that makes this a joke, of a film.

The amount of crude humour just smacks ones intelligence in this film. I'm not against the use of most types of humour per say. Yet there is a difference between being told a dirty joke is funny because it's a dirty joke so it just has to be good, and a dirty joke that's actually funny. This movie like so many today, uses the dirty jokes in the worst ways possible for laughter.

Summary. A very unromantic, not funny, but a truly forgettable film. Don't see this movie. It dose not work on any level. Going the Distance really goes no place. Forget you ever heard of it. That will be doing yourself a favour

Even Worse Than the 2004 Going the Distance.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
11 September 2015

Going the Distance (2010): Nanette Burstein / Cast: Drew Barrymore, Justin Long, Charlie Day, Jason Sudeikis, Christina Applegate: Total snore fest with absolutely no entertainment whatsoever. It regards long distant relationships and stars two talented actors playing two total morons. Justin Long and Drew Barrymore meet and fall in love playing the arcade games. From there they romance then Barrymore goes away and lives with her older sister and her husband while Long hates his job and hangs out with two idiots who drink much and use the washroom with the door open. Director Nanette Burstein previously made documentaries such as American Teen and The Kid Stays in the Picture. Romantic comedies are not working for her and if this film is any indication where she is headed then perhaps documentaries may remain her strong point. Long is given an embarrassing tanning scene where he neglects the goggles. Barrymore fares better but one wonders why her role contains no personality let alone why she would be interested in this guy. Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis are suppose to be comic relief best friends to Long but for all their effort they just come off as desperate imbeciles looking for attention. Christina Applegate is above this pathetic garbage. She plays a woman whose sex life is reduced to her husband dry humping on her leg. Some may say that this film is about long distant relationships but its dull pacing, stupid situations and horrible production values render it a film where the only going distance should be to the nearest trash bin and lit on fire. Score: 1 / 10

LOL funny, original, great cast, just a good rom-com

Author: juneebuggy from Canada
7 January 2015

Damn this movie made me laugh. I'm not generally one for the romantic comedies but this was very good. Original story, a whose-who list of fantastic secondary characters and genuine chemistry from two very likable leads in Drew Barrymore and Justin Long. I loved the sarcasm between them in their dialogue.

The story here is about a guy and a girl who try to keep their love alive as they shuttle back and forth between New York and San Francisco to see one another. They know the odds aren't in their favour but they're going to try and make this work.

There are many laugh-out-loud moments here but that sex scene on the dining room table with the husband right there, sitting in the dark, eating a sandwich and then the sister (Christina Applegate) later cleaning and tossing food that falls on the table just killed me. I will watch this one again one day 03.13

Some foul mouth sarcastic fun

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 November 2013

Erin (Drew Barrymore) is finishing her internship in New York and returning home to San Francisco. Garrett (Justin Long) gets dumped by his girlfriend. They start up a fling but end up trying to keep the long distant relationship alive.

There is some foul mouth rude sarcastic fun to be had here. When you get Charlie Day, you can't expect anything less. At least, I hope we don't get anything less.

We catch Justin Long and Drew Barrymore while they're still a couple. Their breakup probably didn't help this movie any. They have good chemistry together. However it doesn't work on the phone. It breaks up the flow of the rom-com. I know it's the gimmick that drives the movie. It's just not a very cinematic gimmick.

Half of Everything Else

Author: thesar-2 from United States
9 November 2013

If I could give a movie a solid 5/5 stars simply for one song played in the movie, this would be that film. But, sadly, the song in question, "Half of Something Else" by The Airborne Toxic Event, is so wrongfully buried in the second half of the credits.

I remember watching Going the Distance a long while back and I did something I rarely do: stay through to the end of the credits. No, I wasn't looking for that annoying 10-minute wait to see three-extra-seconds in a Marvel movie. I generally do that in movies that I truly love and had an extreme, though positive, emotional time with. Luckily, I did here, since I caught the song that would truly become one of my all-time favorites.

Upon this second viewing, now on a BluRay I purchased, I still did have a blast and loved a ton of it. Unfortunately, it didn't hold up a hundred percent well for me, but I still had a great time with the cast, lines and over-all soundtrack – and not just for that Airborne song.

With only weeks left before Erin has to leave the state and move back to the other coastline, she begins a pitch-perfect relationship with the supposedly noncommittal Garrett. As that ended at the airport, Garrett does, in fact, become committal and they begin a long-distance relationship. We all know where that's headed…

Okay, the script had some minor issues and the originality wasn't prime, but damn, any problems Going the Distance had was severely trumped by the comedy, depth, side-cracking/side-characters, (again) great music and overall: the deadpan delivery of lines and chemistry between the leads.

It's not groundbreaking, but of the two times I've seen this, I did burst out laughing more than several times and fell in love again. Definitely worth a watch, especially for Justin Long and Drew Barrymore fans.

* * * Final thoughts: I've been meaning to watch this one again for a long time. I've never forgotten about that song, "Half of Something Else," but when it recently played again on my car MP3 player, that was enough for me to revisit this film and…to hit repeat a few times for the song during my drive.

Page 3 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]