IMDb > Going the Distance (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Going the Distance: Good for the Guys Too

Author: Dru Zipkin from Los Angeles, CA
26 August 2010

This is one of the most real AND funny Rom/Com's that have come out of this stale city in quite some time. Often when one of these movies come out, hordes of women beg their beau's to come to the cinema to no avail. luckily for us, this is a fresh new look at an otherwise female driven genre.

Going the Distance takes a look at long distance relationships from a REAL perspective. None of this Hollywood glitz. None of these fairy tale endings w/ friends who say and do what the producers hope the audience want to hear. It's like your watching a docu-drama about funny people. This movie showcases events how they would actually happen. People how they'd actually talk and relationships as unpredictable as they actually are.

Another refreshing notion is how this movie is told, in the majority, from the male's perspective. Not entirely, but enough. It's told from a place where humor, booze and late night / post weekend b*tch sessions w/ close friends and/or relatives help weave together a romantic story in a funny way. It's just how life happens!

I've seen this movie and can contest that it is the perfect concoction of humor, fun, romantic moments and hard R moments to make it a good fit for most couples. And guys, this will be a great way to go see a Romantic Comedy for your girl and get something out of it for yourself. GIVE IT A CHANCE, AND YOU'LL BE TELLING OTHERS TO DO THE SAME.

It's Well Worth Going to Going the Distance

Author: LadyLiberty from www.ladylibrty.com
8 September 2010

Erin (Drew Barrymore) is getting a late start on her dreams. At 31, she's finally finishing college with an internship at a New York newspaper. With just six weeks to go before returning to San Francisco to complete her education, she meets Garrett (Justin Long) over a classic game of Centipede.

With similar quirky senses of humor and more than a little disarming honesty, the two quickly pair up. From the beginning, they know that any relationship they have is limited to the next month and a half, so they promise to keep it light and casual. It doesn't work.

Six weeks later, Erin is packed to leave, and Garrett is pretending that's okay. Despite their best efforts, the two are soon burning up the phone lines between the coasts. Erin's sister, Corinne (Christina Applegate) is dismayed knowing that a relationship over such a distance is hard. In fact, it's all but impossible.

The plot seems very simplistic and I suppose that it is. But Garrett's eccentric roommate Dan (Charlie Day) and Erin's sister's personality quirks add real spice to most scenes, and the very real chemistry between the main characters (Barrymore and Long have had a real life on-off-on relationship) transcends the simplicity and makes Going the Distance something more.

Barrymore, as always, is capable, and her innate sweetness shines out from the screen. Long, perhaps best known as the "Mac guy" on those infamous Mac/PC commercials, proves an able partner. Day is good, and though Applegate's role is limited, she steals her scenes almost across the board. Look also for Jim Gaffigan in a small supporting part as Corinne's husband. His deadpan delivery is perfect.

BOTTOM LINE: Going the Distance was amusing without question. But what made it a good movie was the fact that, for all the genuine laughs, it quite simply rang true.

POLITICAL NOTES: None.

FAMILY SUITABILITY: Going the Distance is rated R for "sexual content including dialogue, language throughout, some drug use and brief nudity." While this is not a movie for small children, the tenderness with which the central relationship is played and the integrity and genuine caring portrayed by each half of the central couple wouldn't be a bad lesson for teens to learn. I'd say this film is okay for teens 14 and up.

Funny, sweet and surprisingly filthy

Author: sarky from United Kingdom
15 August 2010

Drew Barrymore plays a less kooky character than usual and is all the more likable and believable for it. I just don't quite buy Justin Long as the leading man but his sidekicks help, particularly Charlie Day who plays a role not that far removed from his part in the sitcom It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, awkward and funny. Between him and Christina Applegate who play Drew's sister they absolutely made the film for me.

A few downsides, Justin Long's story didn't go where the movie signposted it might, Ron Livingston played a small cameo as his boss and it seemed we'd get to see more of what Justin did - the bands he didn't like vs the ones he wanted to champion but that plot line just tailed off. At one point he's asked to look after a band definitely not in his taste range, and you get the feeling more was shot of this but edited out. Because of that whilst we saw him being funny and charming I just didn't get his motivation in not moving to San Francisco. I found the ending really weak, when you leave a rom-com you want to have a little punch the air moment when the leads overcome their obstacles and get together. What we got was a slightly drippy lacklustre finish.

Definitely no punch the air moment and I WANT that, no matter how sappy or cheesy it might be. Overall I laughed quite a few times, a few really big chuckles and even a couple of belly laughs so for that reason I'd give it a 7.

Going the Distance is a very enjoyable honest romantic comedy starring Drew Barrymore and Justin Long

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
13 September 2010

Just watched this romantic comedy starring sometime off-screen couple Drew Barrymore and Justin Long. She's an aspiring reporter and he's a record company executive who's forced to guide crappy musical acts for his label. They're forced into a long distance relationship due to unforeseen circumstances. That's all I'll say of the story and just say that this was quite both a ribaldry hilarious and honestly touching movie that seem to ring true most of the time. With fine supporting turns from Jim Gaffigan, Jason Sudeikis, and Christina Applegate, not to mention the leads, I highly recommend Going the Distance. P.S. Nice use of some classic '80s songs like Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" or Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes' "I've Had the Time of My Life".

Profanity and jokes covering up poor writing, but it's still a romantic comedy

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
13 December 2010

"Going the Distance" is just a romantic comedy, but an adequate one. Justin Long and Drew Barrymore have real chemistry, making it seem fairly romantic, and Long and his friends are actually very funny men, making the film come across as more funny and less not-funny.

I generally really like films picking simple stories and just telling them straight. For the most part, this film did that. But here the problem is when they bothered to include sub-plots, they were meaningless and then dropped. This unfortunately just highlights the poor writing. Then trying to cover up the poor writing, they added lots of profanity and many off-topic jokes. There is no problem with profanity, it's just that there wasn't much need for it here.

Now let's talk about jokes - which both make and break this film. It is laugh-out-loud funny in places, and now, I am even more of a believer that Justin Long, Jason Sudeikis and Charlie Day are very much underrated, great comedic actors. Their timing was flawless and they were even able to make lame jokes seem funny. So, yes, I laughed, but the problem is the majority of the jokes were thrown in for the sole purpose of a laugh, and they had little to do with the storyline of the film. They were laugh-out-loud vulgar, not laugh-out-loud smart.

"Going the Distance" is a romantic comedy for those that like romantic comedies. It is written better than some, and at least you are laughing enough so you don't notice how poor it is.

Witty and entertaining

Author: Anna from United Kingdom
15 August 2010

I have just been to a premiere screening in Wimbledon and I have to say that I had fun! The movie was funny, all characters were well written and original - it almost felt these guys really exist somewhere there. Garrett (Justin Long) has apparently always had problems with commitment. And although he seems to be doing everything fine and trying hard, looks like he cannot speak the female language at all. Erin is only temporarily in New York. They start a no-strings-attached relationship which quickly spirals into something deep and serious, with nothing else being serious in the background. They realise they are meant for each other but this is only the beginning of a long, complicated road with obstacles like the great distance between New York and San Francisco, longing, and juggling two priorities like love and professional ambitions. Good jokes, hilarious situations, and a bit of lavatorial (literally) humour, all tossed with realistic, three-dimensional roles is a recipe for a more than average romantic comedy (and funny at that for a change!)

Surprisingly Awful

Author: pyewacket from San Francisco
6 September 2010

What a surprise this movie turned out to be. Likable stars and the one good review I read duped me into thinking I'd have a great time.

Instead, it's a stinker almost from the get-go. For a couple with major history, Barrymore and Long have zero screen chemistry. In fact, no one in the movie has any chemistry with anyone else. It's a case of "Let's pretend we know each other on camera for the next several shots!" The movie is profane - while sex talk is normal, I don't know anyone who actually speaks the way these people speak. You grow weary of hearing the profanity - if it were in the service of genuine comedy and laughs it would be one thing, but there's at most two laughs to be had in this entire misbegotten film.

A real stinker!

A forgettable and plain romantic comedy

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
2 January 2011

This film is about a couple surviving the hardships of a long distance relationship.

"Going the Distance" maybe a realistic look at the hardships of a long distance relationship. It tells the pains of a long distance relationship in much detail, such as trust issues, unclear future prospects of being together physically, and whether to pursue love at the expense of career due to relocation. Maybe "Going the Distance" is just too realistic, that I find it rather plain. It has comedic moments but it lacks the certain charm and fun that I expect of a romantic comedy. Out of all the characters, I like Christina Applegate's critical housewife the most. At least she stands out and is memorable. The rest of the film is unfortunately forgettable and plain.

My Review: Going the Distance

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
9 November 2010

¨A comedy about meeting each other halfway. ¨ Oscar nominated documentary director Nanette Burstein brings us ¨Going the Distance¨, which marks the first time she directs a fictional film. It's a rom/com that deals with long distance relationships and the screenplay was written by first time screenplay writer Geoff LaTulippe. Justin Long and Drew Barrymore play the two main characters who begin a no strings attached relationship, but end up falling in love despite the fact that Drew's character, Erin, is moving from New York to San Francisco. Justin Long is Garrett, a guy who works in New York for a record label and who isn't looking for a serious relationship with Erin because he knows she is going to leave soon, but their friendship grows and love blossoms. Both decide they can't let such a good thing end and decide to continue their relationship despite the distance. Justin and Erin try to make the relationship work, but they face several difficult situations that most people who have had long distance relationships can identify with. The movie mixes comedy with romance and at the same time it has several situations we can identify with. Some of the secondary characters enhance the comedy, such as Christina Applegate who plays Erin's married sister who is very uptight and overprotective. Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis play Dan and Box, Garrett's best friends who have some of the funniest lines in the movie. The chemistry between Barrymore and Long is good and the screenplay has several funny moments, but at the end of the film you realize you have already seen this movie before since it ends up being pretty predictable. This is one of those movies that had potential to be so much better, but at the end it stuck with Hollywood's predictable rom-com formula. You might have an enjoyable movie going experience with Going the Distance, but it is far from memorable and by the end of the day you will have forgotten all about it. For people who have gone through long distance relationships and its struggles, then they may feel drawn towards it and identify with some of the things happening, but as a comedy I was expecting a little more.

Predictable

Author: dngcal-934-90564 from Italy
24 March 2011

Without question a terrible film. Barrymore must realize that this is not her best work though she helped save many scenes. The writing was simple, plot for a 12 year old and offers nothing new. This film needed a better director and a rewrite before being shot.

The plot is taken from a few older stories and revamped. Its not what one would call Oscar material and not a "smart" film. Scenes were too tight and did not take advantage of the city. Lines were too contrived and scenes not very original. Its sad that writing has digressed and stories are stretched to create a full length film.

Do not waste your time....B O R I N G.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]