IMDb > Going the Distance (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Going the Distance-Writing is Far Out **1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
7 July 2011

This Drew Barrymore romantic comedy had the potential to be a hit. What does it in is the inappropriate use of the four letter word way too frequently.

After all, we're dealing with a nice guy and gal who try desperately to keep their N.Y.-California romance alive. The film tries to discuss the trials and tribulations of such inter-coast dating. There is no reason whatsoever for the continuous use of the "f" word. After all, Barrymore has a middle class sister and brother-in-law with a young child and yet they constantly are using that word as well.

A very funny scene shows how the sister and brother-in-law first meet her sister's boyfriend. That was funny and appropriate.

I'm sorry but I found this to be so unoriginal

Author: peterlane5 from United States
18 September 2010

It had funny parts to it but it was just too predictable. From the very beginning you know what is going to happen and just drags on way too long. It's your typical Romantic Comedy formula, boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy and girl break up, boy and girl get back together, and it's a happy ending. I mean I don't mind that, but it's just when it way overused is when I have a problem. Justin Long, Christina Applegate,Ron Livingston, Jim Gaffigan, Jason Sudeikis, and Charlie Day from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are all great, but Drew Barrymore's lisp got really annoying. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the writing was better, but it wasn't. I mean we've seen this same story so many times before and it's getting old.

Complete and utter waste of your time...

Author: LeijonaSisu from Finland
7 March 2011

Just because it has Drew Barrymore in it doesn't mean it'll be a good movie. Went to see this with my wife and we both had medium-high hopes.

Basically just registered to tell everyone not to waste their time with this boring, outrageously profane movie. The constant profanity and swearing is just a bad cover for the lack of decent screen-writing and overall boring character development.

I can't even believe I am wasting my time writing this.. if you have even the smallest shred of doubt please do not see this movie. It is such a waste of your time..

How this remotely got a 6 on IMDb I will never know. The acting was horrible, there was absolutely no Chemistry. While this is written by a guy, the only thing a guy would find funny are the few, very few, well placed jokes that actually made me laugh at the start. After that it's just snoresville all the way.

You would have to have a huge thing for potty humour and jokes that were probably written by a 15 year old to enjoy this movie...

I'd love to spoil the ridiculous ending but really after you get even 25%-50% through the movie you'll be able to guess the entire rest yourself.

The lead man is played by a dumb, boring, childly humoured moron who has the worst jokes ever, only the stupid outrageously obnoxious attitude of Drew Barrymore that she plays in all of her movies could possibly be entertained by such childish dimwitted humour.

Only someone who enjoys the Simpsons, or an ignorant American could enjoy this movie. This movie sure isn't worth it's placement in the Cosmopolitan.

The last thing I will say about this movie is the Dell, Skype and Fosters product placement was also waaaaay too obvious and didn't contribute anything... A couple of boring completely useless screens that added nothing to the movie just to advertise for Dell and Skype etc. sent my sights on a 'good' ending to make up for the waste of time, right out the window.

Just forget it. Wow writing this review was a waste of my time as well...

A worthy effort ruined by writing and vulgarity.

Author: klovess
6 December 2010

I like Drew Barrymore. I like Justin Long. I did NOT like this movie. From the trailer I was expecting a "sweet" romantic comedy. That was not what i got. From start to finish, you get extremely vulgar writing. "F" words galore. You get drunk, stoned, and casual sex all in the same night. That doesn't spell love story to me. I don't consider myself prudish but i was totally turned off by this. The phone sex/masturbation scene was very disturbing and just went on and on. The other reviews on Amazon that seem to like it just remind me that filmmakers are targeting the "40 Year Old Virgin" crowd. Lots of filth and lack of story. It's not for guys, it's not for girls. Avoid. Let's let Hollywood know that they need to get some actual writers instead of the drivel that seems to be popular now-a-days.

Textbook RomCom for 2010

Author: cspuria from Canada
24 September 2012

If you don't like RomCom, don't bother with this. But if you do, and you don't mind swearing, then you'll find this one worthy. It was better than I thought, given that I had never heard of it before seeing in on the W channel.

To compare, it's on par with "Friends with Benefits" and "Music and Lyrics", and better than "Fever Pitch". Drew scrapes by as an acceptable age intern, but considering she side-tracked her college years chasing boys, it's not too far-fetched. The couple have a believable "meet cute" and then face the dilemma of what to do when they're apart and don't want to be. When it becomes tedious, there is comic relief in Garret's zany buddies and Erin's over-protective, neurotic sister (ya gotta love Christina Applegate in this role).

My biggest problem with this film was watching it on W - commercials ran every 9 minutes, which was too disruptive. Conservative RomCom fans might find it too crass at times, but in this day and age, its flavour of humour is what has become acceptable. If you can role with it, this film is a fun surprise in this genre. RomCom fans - enjoy!

"A comedy about meeting each other halfway"

Author: Brandon Blackwell from Earth
13 November 2011

A romantic comedy centered on a guy and a gal who try to keep their love alive as they shuttle back and forth between New York and San Francisco to see one another.

From the trailer, I had beliefs the film would be a romantic-comedy. Not only, I also suspected a bit more flair for the guys and make it's standing as a comedy, at the least. But when it was released, I sat down and got WAY less than I had expected. First off, everything was great until they were separated. Honestly, I was enjoying the little flair between the two and the main character hanging with his friends. But after their separation, all the movie turns into is a back and forth relationship. They talk on the phone, sometimes visit each other, and miss each other. It is very clichéd and happens almost every movie... But all I expected was a great comedy, but was disappointed with the results. If your expected what I expected, I would have to say to stay away. If your expecting a clichéd romantic-comedy and enjoy these flicks, maybe I would say to see it, if you positively want to. It's a love it or hate it film, folks. I personally wasn't to fond of it. 4/10.

It's hard to say exactly why... but I absolutely love this movie

Author: emilybutler66
10 April 2011

I'm not going to go on and on about this movie, I like to keep things short and sweet.

I absolutely loved this movie. I thought it was absolutely adorable, charming, and above all, it was real. The chemistry between Justin Long and Drew Barrymoore was wonderful and I absolutely loved watching them together. Not to mention Charlie Day, who is always hilarious. It had moments that were hilarious, moments that were beautiful, and moments that broke my heart.

Bottom line, this movie stole my heart and I think everyone should give it a chance.

Transcontinental Courtship, Will Love Find A Way?

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
20 March 2011

Going The Distance is exactly what Drew Barrymore and Justin Long are doing to maintain their relationship even if the distance is across the continental USA. Good thing someone wasn't living in Alaska or Hawaii.

But New York to San Francisco is bad enough for these two thirty somethings. Long works for a record company, they still call them that though vinyl is passé, and Barrymore is an intern at the New York Sentinal Newspaper. She's from San Francisco and will have to return there if she can't land a reporting job in her field. They both want to be near each other because they're worried love won't last.

Not that either of them is getting much in the way of advice, Drew from her sister and brother-in-law, Christina Applegate and Jim Gaffigan and Long from his brain dead friends Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis.

Going The Distance is your typical comedy of the new century, helped along in large part by the charm of its leads. Especially Justin Long who has this goofball type personality that's rather endearing in the films I've seen him in. It's not exactly sophisticated stuff, but Going The Distance did well in both the red and blue state audiences and deservedly so.

The best romantic comedy of the year!

Author: Roha Wajahat from Pakistan
3 January 2011

As I heard the title of this movie 'Going the Distance' I knew it would have an interesting story and it did! I watched the trailer and was thrilled to watch the movie for my Friday night.This movie is a definite watch!The actors did an amazing job.What I liked so much about this movie was that it contained some realism,it was not one of those typical romantic comedies based over a senseless topic.The jokes were...sex jokes,some of them were really funny,made me laugh! Although this movie did contain a few unnecessary scenes related to nudity.But overall the emotions depicted were convincing and I felt a connection with their love story,not many movies do that these days.I'm not sure whether men will love this movie as much as ladies would.All I know is that the people in a long distance relationship will find this movie very appealing for sure!

Surprisingly cute...

Author: nicki9112 from United States
26 December 2010

I've seen a lot of romantic comedies and a lot of them have been a complete miss. I decided to rent this movie out of boredom one day and thought it was actually kind of cute. Not one of the best I've seen, but still cute. Drew and Justin have GREAT chemistry together. I've been a fan of both of them for a while.

This movie is kind of a mix of everything. I wouldn't necessarily consider it a chick flick.

What I didn't like about it was there is a little too much raunchiness at times, almost like a forced attempt to win laughs. Produced the opposite result for me.

Overall, it's sweet in it's own little way. Worth renting.

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]