IMDb > Going the Distance (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Surprisingly Awful

Author: pyewacket from San Francisco
6 September 2010

What a surprise this movie turned out to be. Likable stars and the one good review I read duped me into thinking I'd have a great time.

Instead, it's a stinker almost from the get-go. For a couple with major history, Barrymore and Long have zero screen chemistry. In fact, no one in the movie has any chemistry with anyone else. It's a case of "Let's pretend we know each other on camera for the next several shots!" The movie is profane - while sex talk is normal, I don't know anyone who actually speaks the way these people speak. You grow weary of hearing the profanity - if it were in the service of genuine comedy and laughs it would be one thing, but there's at most two laughs to be had in this entire misbegotten film.

A real stinker!

Complete and utter waste of your time...

Author: LeijonaSisu from Finland
7 March 2011

Just because it has Drew Barrymore in it doesn't mean it'll be a good movie. Went to see this with my wife and we both had medium-high hopes.

Basically just registered to tell everyone not to waste their time with this boring, outrageously profane movie. The constant profanity and swearing is just a bad cover for the lack of decent screen-writing and overall boring character development.

I can't even believe I am wasting my time writing this.. if you have even the smallest shred of doubt please do not see this movie. It is such a waste of your time..

How this remotely got a 6 on IMDb I will never know. The acting was horrible, there was absolutely no Chemistry. While this is written by a guy, the only thing a guy would find funny are the few, very few, well placed jokes that actually made me laugh at the start. After that it's just snoresville all the way.

You would have to have a huge thing for potty humour and jokes that were probably written by a 15 year old to enjoy this movie...

I'd love to spoil the ridiculous ending but really after you get even 25%-50% through the movie you'll be able to guess the entire rest yourself.

The lead man is played by a dumb, boring, childly humoured moron who has the worst jokes ever, only the stupid outrageously obnoxious attitude of Drew Barrymore that she plays in all of her movies could possibly be entertained by such childish dimwitted humour.

Only someone who enjoys the Simpsons, or an ignorant American could enjoy this movie. This movie sure isn't worth it's placement in the Cosmopolitan.

The last thing I will say about this movie is the Dell, Skype and Fosters product placement was also waaaaay too obvious and didn't contribute anything... A couple of boring completely useless screens that added nothing to the movie just to advertise for Dell and Skype etc. sent my sights on a 'good' ending to make up for the waste of time, right out the window.

Just forget it. Wow writing this review was a waste of my time as well...

A worthy effort ruined by writing and vulgarity.

Author: klovess
6 December 2010

I like Drew Barrymore. I like Justin Long. I did NOT like this movie. From the trailer I was expecting a "sweet" romantic comedy. That was not what i got. From start to finish, you get extremely vulgar writing. "F" words galore. You get drunk, stoned, and casual sex all in the same night. That doesn't spell love story to me. I don't consider myself prudish but i was totally turned off by this. The phone sex/masturbation scene was very disturbing and just went on and on. The other reviews on Amazon that seem to like it just remind me that filmmakers are targeting the "40 Year Old Virgin" crowd. Lots of filth and lack of story. It's not for guys, it's not for girls. Avoid. Let's let Hollywood know that they need to get some actual writers instead of the drivel that seems to be popular now-a-days.

Going the Distance-Writing is Far Out **1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
7 July 2011

This Drew Barrymore romantic comedy had the potential to be a hit. What does it in is the inappropriate use of the four letter word way too frequently.

After all, we're dealing with a nice guy and gal who try desperately to keep their N.Y.-California romance alive. The film tries to discuss the trials and tribulations of such inter-coast dating. There is no reason whatsoever for the continuous use of the "f" word. After all, Barrymore has a middle class sister and brother-in-law with a young child and yet they constantly are using that word as well.

A very funny scene shows how the sister and brother-in-law first meet her sister's boyfriend. That was funny and appropriate.

My Review: Going the Distance

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
9 November 2010

¨A comedy about meeting each other halfway. ¨ Oscar nominated documentary director Nanette Burstein brings us ¨Going the Distance¨, which marks the first time she directs a fictional film. It's a rom/com that deals with long distance relationships and the screenplay was written by first time screenplay writer Geoff LaTulippe. Justin Long and Drew Barrymore play the two main characters who begin a no strings attached relationship, but end up falling in love despite the fact that Drew's character, Erin, is moving from New York to San Francisco. Justin Long is Garrett, a guy who works in New York for a record label and who isn't looking for a serious relationship with Erin because he knows she is going to leave soon, but their friendship grows and love blossoms. Both decide they can't let such a good thing end and decide to continue their relationship despite the distance. Justin and Erin try to make the relationship work, but they face several difficult situations that most people who have had long distance relationships can identify with. The movie mixes comedy with romance and at the same time it has several situations we can identify with. Some of the secondary characters enhance the comedy, such as Christina Applegate who plays Erin's married sister who is very uptight and overprotective. Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis play Dan and Box, Garrett's best friends who have some of the funniest lines in the movie. The chemistry between Barrymore and Long is good and the screenplay has several funny moments, but at the end of the film you realize you have already seen this movie before since it ends up being pretty predictable. This is one of those movies that had potential to be so much better, but at the end it stuck with Hollywood's predictable rom-com formula. You might have an enjoyable movie going experience with Going the Distance, but it is far from memorable and by the end of the day you will have forgotten all about it. For people who have gone through long distance relationships and its struggles, then they may feel drawn towards it and identify with some of the things happening, but as a comedy I was expecting a little more.

below average witty rom com with less rom and more silliness.

Author: khan2705 from Pakistan
13 November 2010

OK this movie so totally forgettable, seriously it was just OK movie to watch. nice chemistry between the two actors. it had its moments but not much to actually make me call this the best romantic comedy of this year. it had very few but genuine funny scenes, which was nice because most of the other movie was just OK, not much in the story or the screenplay, much of it is very annoying and some times the characters the plot the story the everything that goes in this movie makes me mad.

but all in all an OK romantic comedy about a girl and a boy trying to keep their love alive while going back and forth between New York and San Francisco. its about the choice they have to make between their love, romance and their work. decent or should i say below average performances. some scenes most of in the beginning were really sweet and charming to watch, but i will not recommend this movie to most of you people, if you like cheesy little bit predictable romantic comedies then this this movie is for you or otherwise believe me if you don't watch it then you are not missing a good movie this year. nice below average movie with less romance. and the R rated thing with so much of language and drug use was not predicted but doesn't matter much.

Predictable

Author: dngcal-934-90564 from Italy
24 March 2011

Without question a terrible film. Barrymore must realize that this is not her best work though she helped save many scenes. The writing was simple, plot for a 12 year old and offers nothing new. This film needed a better director and a rewrite before being shot.

The plot is taken from a few older stories and revamped. Its not what one would call Oscar material and not a "smart" film. Scenes were too tight and did not take advantage of the city. Lines were too contrived and scenes not very original. Its sad that writing has digressed and stories are stretched to create a full length film.

Do not waste your time....B O R I N G.

Much MUCH worse than a bad movie. New definition of bad is required!

Author: Nicomachean from United Kingdom
16 January 2011

This movie is so awful it defies words. After the first 20 minutes I felt like flying to America and chocking everyone to death with my bear hands. And then choke every single moron that has written a good review for this movie on IMDb or anywhere else. And then reserve some especially painful death for the megamoron who actually wrote the script - it is that bad.

Its so bad it even makes 'Perfect Hideout', which is hands down the worst movie ever made, look and feel like a masterpiece.

As I said, I only watched for 20 minutes, had I stayed for little bit longer I would by know have irreversible Tourettes, hence all the swearing.

The jokes, I mean 'the jokes', compare to my nephew's who doubles laughing about saying poo. I am not exaggerating, they are literally of that calibre. I cannot blame the actors for that, even though they were sh*t too, but the writer. How could he think that that script was funny is beyond me. He definitely need some sort of very expensive therapy or some very strong pills, never mind if the side effects are absolute blindness, it is still worth it.

Acting at best mediocre, but for real, not worthy of a school play. You don't feel like laughing but more like strangling everybody who speaks. The world that they portray may well be in Mars or perhaps a different galaxy for no one on god's green earth, apart from some retarded 2 year old speaking monkeys, lives this way. Or at least so I hope. Awful awful movie. I feel better now that I have ranted for a while.

The Language throughout sinks it

Author: (bob-rutzel-1) from United States
19 December 2010

Erin (Barrymore) and Garrett (Long) enjoy a summer fling that turns into more than a fling, but now they have to settle for a long distance relationship.

Here's the thing: there were a lot of very good funny lines in here and if they kept the F-bombs and other smutty language out of it, this would have become, with a major exception, a very funny film you could share with your grandparents. Why? Because the F-bombs and other smutty language didn't need to be in here for comedic effect. The dialogue itself was funny, but the raunchy language put an uncomfortable edge to it all. Do people who are just about to know each other really talk this way or am I on the wrong planet?

Is holding a conversation with others in the living room ,while on the toilet, with the bathroom door open funny? Is having sex on the dining table funny? Is cleaning that table? Is talking about masturbation to a old lady using a walker who is trying to cross the street funny? What has happened to us?

Chemistry? I didn't see it. That was the major exception noted above. All I saw were people having fun with raunchy language and hoping nobody noticed. You want to call that good chemistry, fine. I don't. But, we really didn't care about the main characters and when they broke up for a little bit, did we care? Not at all. And, speaking of chemistry, the dark make-up around Erin's eyes made her look a lot older than Garrett.

But, to be honest even if the raunchy language wasn't there, we would not have cared about the main characters who were really too weak to be leads. The story also is too weak to allow any caring to happen. We still would have had some good dialogue, but no caring. When the dialogue is good, why mess it up with raunchy, annoying and out of place language? All they had in common was the language they used. Perhaps one or two sub-plots may have helped. But, it was the language that got in the way of a one-plot and possibly pleasant story. Didn't happen. I need to find my real planet.

Violence: No. Sex: Yes. Nudity: No. Language: Throughout

4th grade mentality

Author: Bigdaddy from United States
31 December 2010

Drew stoops to a new low. Who writes this stuff? Daddy, I need to hear a dirty word like BUTT or other dirty words or bodily functions that I can understand so I can laugh? (Hint: Pick up a book and expand you vocabulary so you have other options as to what is humorous) I can't give a movie a good review unless it's built with skill and this movie is not. Built with the mind of a abused 4th grader.

It's like walking through a field of dung and having to eat it along the way and then giving the experience a good rating because of that one small piece of not totally digested chicken that you found and ate.

A movie needs to inspire the mind, not this so called reality for the so called less fortunate who have simply made the choice to exist at the bottom of the pool. I don't buy into the trash when I live in America where I have a black man as president and countless others who have risen to the top simply because they aspired to.

This movie is a waste of film and an insult to those who have made the choice to live in the world of better.

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]