IMDb > Going the Distance (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

My Review: Going the Distance

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
9 November 2010

¨A comedy about meeting each other halfway. ¨ Oscar nominated documentary director Nanette Burstein brings us ¨Going the Distance¨, which marks the first time she directs a fictional film. It's a rom/com that deals with long distance relationships and the screenplay was written by first time screenplay writer Geoff LaTulippe. Justin Long and Drew Barrymore play the two main characters who begin a no strings attached relationship, but end up falling in love despite the fact that Drew's character, Erin, is moving from New York to San Francisco. Justin Long is Garrett, a guy who works in New York for a record label and who isn't looking for a serious relationship with Erin because he knows she is going to leave soon, but their friendship grows and love blossoms. Both decide they can't let such a good thing end and decide to continue their relationship despite the distance. Justin and Erin try to make the relationship work, but they face several difficult situations that most people who have had long distance relationships can identify with. The movie mixes comedy with romance and at the same time it has several situations we can identify with. Some of the secondary characters enhance the comedy, such as Christina Applegate who plays Erin's married sister who is very uptight and overprotective. Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis play Dan and Box, Garrett's best friends who have some of the funniest lines in the movie. The chemistry between Barrymore and Long is good and the screenplay has several funny moments, but at the end of the film you realize you have already seen this movie before since it ends up being pretty predictable. This is one of those movies that had potential to be so much better, but at the end it stuck with Hollywood's predictable rom-com formula. You might have an enjoyable movie going experience with Going the Distance, but it is far from memorable and by the end of the day you will have forgotten all about it. For people who have gone through long distance relationships and its struggles, then they may feel drawn towards it and identify with some of the things happening, but as a comedy I was expecting a little more.

Predictable

Author: dngcal-934-90564 from Italy
24 March 2011

Without question a terrible film. Barrymore must realize that this is not her best work though she helped save many scenes. The writing was simple, plot for a 12 year old and offers nothing new. This film needed a better director and a rewrite before being shot.

The plot is taken from a few older stories and revamped. Its not what one would call Oscar material and not a "smart" film. Scenes were too tight and did not take advantage of the city. Lines were too contrived and scenes not very original. Its sad that writing has digressed and stories are stretched to create a full length film.

Do not waste your time....B O R I N G.

Don't be distant from this sweet, funny, lovely film but, be aware that the language is quite raw!

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
7 September 2010

Erin (Drew Barrymore) is an intern-journalist for the New York Sentinel. Older than most other novices, at 31, she once followed a former flame on his life's journey and got off kilter. Now, she's pursuing her dreams and, after the internship, will be returning to the west coast for the final months of her degree. One day, the managing editor compliments her writing but points out errors in grammar and such. Erin takes it hard. She has been hoping to get a job with the Sentinel after she graduates and now, things are looking bleak. Heading to a trendy bar after work, she starts drinking and blowing off steam over a classic video game. Looking over her shoulder is Garrett (Justin Long), who is impressed by her skill. Garrett, too, is out of sorts because his latest girlfriend broke up with him, after a severe tongue lashing about his attitude. He also just got a tough assignment from his boss (Ron Livingston). But, lo and behold, the two video gamers take a shine to each other and end up spending the night together. Its supposed to be a one night stand but they both want more. However, as Erin points out, she will only be in Manhattan for six more weeks. Long term attachments will be impossible. Or will they? Hey, after a nice 42 days , the two decide to keep the relationship going long distance, with emails and video conferencing and short, weekend trips. Can it last? This is a very lovely film, complete with romance, humor and honesty. All fans of romantic comedy should enjoy it. BUT, there is some raw language and some sexually charged scenes so if you prefer more of the ABC Family-type romances, be aware that your eyebrows may go up. The cast is great, with Barrymore and Long making a terrific couple. Drew looks beautiful and is very funny while Long is likewise handsome and humorous. Christina Applegate, Charlie Day, Livingston, and all of the rest are a true joy as well. The scenery on both coasts is attractive, especially Applegate's suburban Frisco home. Costumes, too, are well chosen while the script and direction never lose momentum, focus, or mirthfulness. Romcom fans, you should go a good distance yourselves to find this one, if it doesn't come to your neighborhood theater or stores. Many other film lovers will also appreciate its winning ways, too, so get your tickets this week.

Going the Distance-Writing is Far Out **1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
7 July 2011

This Drew Barrymore romantic comedy had the potential to be a hit. What does it in is the inappropriate use of the four letter word way too frequently.

After all, we're dealing with a nice guy and gal who try desperately to keep their N.Y.-California romance alive. The film tries to discuss the trials and tribulations of such inter-coast dating. There is no reason whatsoever for the continuous use of the "f" word. After all, Barrymore has a middle class sister and brother-in-law with a young child and yet they constantly are using that word as well.

A very funny scene shows how the sister and brother-in-law first meet her sister's boyfriend. That was funny and appropriate.

I'm sorry but I found this to be so unoriginal

Author: peterlane5 from United States
18 September 2010

It had funny parts to it but it was just too predictable. From the very beginning you know what is going to happen and just drags on way too long. It's your typical Romantic Comedy formula, boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy and girl break up, boy and girl get back together, and it's a happy ending. I mean I don't mind that, but it's just when it way overused is when I have a problem. Justin Long, Christina Applegate,Ron Livingston, Jim Gaffigan, Jason Sudeikis, and Charlie Day from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are all great, but Drew Barrymore's lisp got really annoying. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the writing was better, but it wasn't. I mean we've seen this same story so many times before and it's getting old.

Complete and utter waste of your time...

Author: LeijonaSisu from Finland
7 March 2011

Just because it has Drew Barrymore in it doesn't mean it'll be a good movie. Went to see this with my wife and we both had medium-high hopes.

Basically just registered to tell everyone not to waste their time with this boring, outrageously profane movie. The constant profanity and swearing is just a bad cover for the lack of decent screen-writing and overall boring character development.

I can't even believe I am wasting my time writing this.. if you have even the smallest shred of doubt please do not see this movie. It is such a waste of your time..

How this remotely got a 6 on IMDb I will never know. The acting was horrible, there was absolutely no Chemistry. While this is written by a guy, the only thing a guy would find funny are the few, very few, well placed jokes that actually made me laugh at the start. After that it's just snoresville all the way.

You would have to have a huge thing for potty humour and jokes that were probably written by a 15 year old to enjoy this movie...

I'd love to spoil the ridiculous ending but really after you get even 25%-50% through the movie you'll be able to guess the entire rest yourself.

The lead man is played by a dumb, boring, childly humoured moron who has the worst jokes ever, only the stupid outrageously obnoxious attitude of Drew Barrymore that she plays in all of her movies could possibly be entertained by such childish dimwitted humour.

Only someone who enjoys the Simpsons, or an ignorant American could enjoy this movie. This movie sure isn't worth it's placement in the Cosmopolitan.

The last thing I will say about this movie is the Dell, Skype and Fosters product placement was also waaaaay too obvious and didn't contribute anything... A couple of boring completely useless screens that added nothing to the movie just to advertise for Dell and Skype etc. sent my sights on a 'good' ending to make up for the waste of time, right out the window.

Just forget it. Wow writing this review was a waste of my time as well...

A worthy effort ruined by writing and vulgarity.

Author: klovess
6 December 2010

I like Drew Barrymore. I like Justin Long. I did NOT like this movie. From the trailer I was expecting a "sweet" romantic comedy. That was not what i got. From start to finish, you get extremely vulgar writing. "F" words galore. You get drunk, stoned, and casual sex all in the same night. That doesn't spell love story to me. I don't consider myself prudish but i was totally turned off by this. The phone sex/masturbation scene was very disturbing and just went on and on. The other reviews on Amazon that seem to like it just remind me that filmmakers are targeting the "40 Year Old Virgin" crowd. Lots of filth and lack of story. It's not for guys, it's not for girls. Avoid. Let's let Hollywood know that they need to get some actual writers instead of the drivel that seems to be popular now-a-days.

Textbook RomCom for 2010

Author: cspuria from Canada
24 September 2012

If you don't like RomCom, don't bother with this. But if you do, and you don't mind swearing, then you'll find this one worthy. It was better than I thought, given that I had never heard of it before seeing in on the W channel.

To compare, it's on par with "Friends with Benefits" and "Music and Lyrics", and better than "Fever Pitch". Drew scrapes by as an acceptable age intern, but considering she side-tracked her college years chasing boys, it's not too far-fetched. The couple have a believable "meet cute" and then face the dilemma of what to do when they're apart and don't want to be. When it becomes tedious, there is comic relief in Garret's zany buddies and Erin's over-protective, neurotic sister (ya gotta love Christina Applegate in this role).

My biggest problem with this film was watching it on W - commercials ran every 9 minutes, which was too disruptive. Conservative RomCom fans might find it too crass at times, but in this day and age, its flavour of humour is what has become acceptable. If you can role with it, this film is a fun surprise in this genre. RomCom fans - enjoy!

"A comedy about meeting each other halfway"

Author: Brandon Blackwell from Earth
13 November 2011

A romantic comedy centered on a guy and a gal who try to keep their love alive as they shuttle back and forth between New York and San Francisco to see one another.

From the trailer, I had beliefs the film would be a romantic-comedy. Not only, I also suspected a bit more flair for the guys and make it's standing as a comedy, at the least. But when it was released, I sat down and got WAY less than I had expected. First off, everything was great until they were separated. Honestly, I was enjoying the little flair between the two and the main character hanging with his friends. But after their separation, all the movie turns into is a back and forth relationship. They talk on the phone, sometimes visit each other, and miss each other. It is very clichéd and happens almost every movie... But all I expected was a great comedy, but was disappointed with the results. If your expected what I expected, I would have to say to stay away. If your expecting a clichéd romantic-comedy and enjoy these flicks, maybe I would say to see it, if you positively want to. It's a love it or hate it film, folks. I personally wasn't to fond of it. 4/10.

It's hard to say exactly why... but I absolutely love this movie

Author: emilybutler66
10 April 2011

I'm not going to go on and on about this movie, I like to keep things short and sweet.

I absolutely loved this movie. I thought it was absolutely adorable, charming, and above all, it was real. The chemistry between Justin Long and Drew Barrymoore was wonderful and I absolutely loved watching them together. Not to mention Charlie Day, who is always hilarious. It had moments that were hilarious, moments that were beautiful, and moments that broke my heart.

Bottom line, this movie stole my heart and I think everyone should give it a chance.

Page 2 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]