IMDb > Going the Distance (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great Rom-Com

Author: spooner_22 from United Kingdom
23 August 2010

Going The Distance was far better than expected. I saw the trailer for this movie before going to see it and I thought it looked good, but far too often with this type of film, all the best bits are in the trailer. This was not the case with this film, it was consistently funny, well acted and very good in general. Drew Barrymore and Justin Long were very believable as a couple (this may have something to do with them being together on off in real life). I thought that each actor played their part well, the friends of the main characters were all fantastic. Overall, this is well worth going to see and one of the funniest rom-coms I have seen in a long time.

Going the Distance: Good for the Guys Too

Author: Dru Zipkin from Los Angeles, CA
26 August 2010

This is one of the most real AND funny Rom/Com's that have come out of this stale city in quite some time. Often when one of these movies come out, hordes of women beg their beau's to come to the cinema to no avail. luckily for us, this is a fresh new look at an otherwise female driven genre.

Going the Distance takes a look at long distance relationships from a REAL perspective. None of this Hollywood glitz. None of these fairy tale endings w/ friends who say and do what the producers hope the audience want to hear. It's like your watching a docu-drama about funny people. This movie showcases events how they would actually happen. People how they'd actually talk and relationships as unpredictable as they actually are.

Another refreshing notion is how this movie is told, in the majority, from the male's perspective. Not entirely, but enough. It's told from a place where humor, booze and late night / post weekend b*tch sessions w/ close friends and/or relatives help weave together a romantic story in a funny way. It's just how life happens!

I've seen this movie and can contest that it is the perfect concoction of humor, fun, romantic moments and hard R moments to make it a good fit for most couples. And guys, this will be a great way to go see a Romantic Comedy for your girl and get something out of it for yourself. GIVE IT A CHANCE, AND YOU'LL BE TELLING OTHERS TO DO THE SAME.

Men - don't be put off just because it looks like a chick flick!

Author: jkeggen from United Kingdom
16 August 2010

Just been to see this film before its official release and really, really enjoyed it. As the trailer suggests it's about a long distance relationship. The storyline is pretty straightforward. It's not the type of film that will have lots of complicated twists and turns, so in that context it's fairly predictable, but it's really well acted by the main characters, particularly Justin Long, Drew Barrymore and Christin Applegate. There are lots of laughs, and I mean laughing out loud, from both the men and the women in the audience. For me it's one of the funniest films I've seen that wasn't an out and out comedy. As the title of this review suggests, there's something for both men and women in this.

It's Well Worth Going to Going the Distance

Author: LadyLiberty from www.ladylibrty.com
8 September 2010

Erin (Drew Barrymore) is getting a late start on her dreams. At 31, she's finally finishing college with an internship at a New York newspaper. With just six weeks to go before returning to San Francisco to complete her education, she meets Garrett (Justin Long) over a classic game of Centipede.

With similar quirky senses of humor and more than a little disarming honesty, the two quickly pair up. From the beginning, they know that any relationship they have is limited to the next month and a half, so they promise to keep it light and casual. It doesn't work.

Six weeks later, Erin is packed to leave, and Garrett is pretending that's okay. Despite their best efforts, the two are soon burning up the phone lines between the coasts. Erin's sister, Corinne (Christina Applegate) is dismayed knowing that a relationship over such a distance is hard. In fact, it's all but impossible.

The plot seems very simplistic and I suppose that it is. But Garrett's eccentric roommate Dan (Charlie Day) and Erin's sister's personality quirks add real spice to most scenes, and the very real chemistry between the main characters (Barrymore and Long have had a real life on-off-on relationship) transcends the simplicity and makes Going the Distance something more.

Barrymore, as always, is capable, and her innate sweetness shines out from the screen. Long, perhaps best known as the "Mac guy" on those infamous Mac/PC commercials, proves an able partner. Day is good, and though Applegate's role is limited, she steals her scenes almost across the board. Look also for Jim Gaffigan in a small supporting part as Corinne's husband. His deadpan delivery is perfect.

BOTTOM LINE: Going the Distance was amusing without question. But what made it a good movie was the fact that, for all the genuine laughs, it quite simply rang true.

POLITICAL NOTES: None.

FAMILY SUITABILITY: Going the Distance is rated R for "sexual content including dialogue, language throughout, some drug use and brief nudity." While this is not a movie for small children, the tenderness with which the central relationship is played and the integrity and genuine caring portrayed by each half of the central couple wouldn't be a bad lesson for teens to learn. I'd say this film is okay for teens 14 and up.

Funny, sweet and surprisingly filthy

Author: sarky from United Kingdom
15 August 2010

Drew Barrymore plays a less kooky character than usual and is all the more likable and believable for it. I just don't quite buy Justin Long as the leading man but his sidekicks help, particularly Charlie Day who plays a role not that far removed from his part in the sitcom It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, awkward and funny. Between him and Christina Applegate who play Drew's sister they absolutely made the film for me.

A few downsides, Justin Long's story didn't go where the movie signposted it might, Ron Livingston played a small cameo as his boss and it seemed we'd get to see more of what Justin did - the bands he didn't like vs the ones he wanted to champion but that plot line just tailed off. At one point he's asked to look after a band definitely not in his taste range, and you get the feeling more was shot of this but edited out. Because of that whilst we saw him being funny and charming I just didn't get his motivation in not moving to San Francisco. I found the ending really weak, when you leave a rom-com you want to have a little punch the air moment when the leads overcome their obstacles and get together. What we got was a slightly drippy lacklustre finish.

Definitely no punch the air moment and I WANT that, no matter how sappy or cheesy it might be. Overall I laughed quite a few times, a few really big chuckles and even a couple of belly laughs so for that reason I'd give it a 7.

Profanity and jokes covering up poor writing, but it's still a romantic comedy

Author: napierslogs from Ontario, Canada
13 December 2010

"Going the Distance" is just a romantic comedy, but an adequate one. Justin Long and Drew Barrymore have real chemistry, making it seem fairly romantic, and Long and his friends are actually very funny men, making the film come across as more funny and less not-funny.

I generally really like films picking simple stories and just telling them straight. For the most part, this film did that. But here the problem is when they bothered to include sub-plots, they were meaningless and then dropped. This unfortunately just highlights the poor writing. Then trying to cover up the poor writing, they added lots of profanity and many off-topic jokes. There is no problem with profanity, it's just that there wasn't much need for it here.

Now let's talk about jokes - which both make and break this film. It is laugh-out-loud funny in places, and now, I am even more of a believer that Justin Long, Jason Sudeikis and Charlie Day are very much underrated, great comedic actors. Their timing was flawless and they were even able to make lame jokes seem funny. So, yes, I laughed, but the problem is the majority of the jokes were thrown in for the sole purpose of a laugh, and they had little to do with the storyline of the film. They were laugh-out-loud vulgar, not laugh-out-loud smart.

"Going the Distance" is a romantic comedy for those that like romantic comedies. It is written better than some, and at least you are laughing enough so you don't notice how poor it is.

Going the Distance is a very enjoyable honest romantic comedy starring Drew Barrymore and Justin Long

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
13 September 2010

Just watched this romantic comedy starring sometime off-screen couple Drew Barrymore and Justin Long. She's an aspiring reporter and he's a record company executive who's forced to guide crappy musical acts for his label. They're forced into a long distance relationship due to unforeseen circumstances. That's all I'll say of the story and just say that this was quite both a ribaldry hilarious and honestly touching movie that seem to ring true most of the time. With fine supporting turns from Jim Gaffigan, Jason Sudeikis, and Christina Applegate, not to mention the leads, I highly recommend Going the Distance. P.S. Nice use of some classic '80s songs like Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" or Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes' "I've Had the Time of My Life".

Witty and entertaining

Author: Anna from United Kingdom
15 August 2010

I have just been to a premiere screening in Wimbledon and I have to say that I had fun! The movie was funny, all characters were well written and original - it almost felt these guys really exist somewhere there. Garrett (Justin Long) has apparently always had problems with commitment. And although he seems to be doing everything fine and trying hard, looks like he cannot speak the female language at all. Erin is only temporarily in New York. They start a no-strings-attached relationship which quickly spirals into something deep and serious, with nothing else being serious in the background. They realise they are meant for each other but this is only the beginning of a long, complicated road with obstacles like the great distance between New York and San Francisco, longing, and juggling two priorities like love and professional ambitions. Good jokes, hilarious situations, and a bit of lavatorial (literally) humour, all tossed with realistic, three-dimensional roles is a recipe for a more than average romantic comedy (and funny at that for a change!)

A forgettable and plain romantic comedy

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
2 January 2011

This film is about a couple surviving the hardships of a long distance relationship.

"Going the Distance" maybe a realistic look at the hardships of a long distance relationship. It tells the pains of a long distance relationship in much detail, such as trust issues, unclear future prospects of being together physically, and whether to pursue love at the expense of career due to relocation. Maybe "Going the Distance" is just too realistic, that I find it rather plain. It has comedic moments but it lacks the certain charm and fun that I expect of a romantic comedy. Out of all the characters, I like Christina Applegate's critical housewife the most. At least she stands out and is memorable. The rest of the film is unfortunately forgettable and plain.

Don't be distant from this sweet, funny, lovely film but, be aware that the language is quite raw!

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
7 September 2010

Erin (Drew Barrymore) is an intern-journalist for the New York Sentinel. Older than most other novices, at 31, she once followed a former flame on his life's journey and got off kilter. Now, she's pursuing her dreams and, after the internship, will be returning to the west coast for the final months of her degree. One day, the managing editor compliments her writing but points out errors in grammar and such. Erin takes it hard. She has been hoping to get a job with the Sentinel after she graduates and now, things are looking bleak. Heading to a trendy bar after work, she starts drinking and blowing off steam over a classic video game. Looking over her shoulder is Garrett (Justin Long), who is impressed by her skill. Garrett, too, is out of sorts because his latest girlfriend broke up with him, after a severe tongue lashing about his attitude. He also just got a tough assignment from his boss (Ron Livingston). But, lo and behold, the two video gamers take a shine to each other and end up spending the night together. Its supposed to be a one night stand but they both want more. However, as Erin points out, she will only be in Manhattan for six more weeks. Long term attachments will be impossible. Or will they? Hey, after a nice 42 days , the two decide to keep the relationship going long distance, with emails and video conferencing and short, weekend trips. Can it last? This is a very lovely film, complete with romance, humor and honesty. All fans of romantic comedy should enjoy it. BUT, there is some raw language and some sexually charged scenes so if you prefer more of the ABC Family-type romances, be aware that your eyebrows may go up. The cast is great, with Barrymore and Long making a terrific couple. Drew looks beautiful and is very funny while Long is likewise handsome and humorous. Christina Applegate, Charlie Day, Livingston, and all of the rest are a true joy as well. The scenery on both coasts is attractive, especially Applegate's suburban Frisco home. Costumes, too, are well chosen while the script and direction never lose momentum, focus, or mirthfulness. Romcom fans, you should go a good distance yourselves to find this one, if it doesn't come to your neighborhood theater or stores. Many other film lovers will also appreciate its winning ways, too, so get your tickets this week.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]