IMDb > "10 Things I Hate About You" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"10 Things I Hate About You"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"10 Things I Hate About You" More at IMDbPro »

Awesome

Author: egyptkidd from United States
14 July 2009

OK, I agree that it is not like the movie but it is a very excellent show. Lindsey Shaw plays Cat amazingly, she shows how stubborn Cat is and how tough she can be also she does come up with a lot of witty remarks.

Bianca in the movie I have to say was a real jerk but in this T. V. show she is portrayed differently. Bianca here is a jerk but at times it is like she doesn't know she is one. It's sort of being a sweet jerk in my opinion.

This T. V. show is one of the best that ABC Family has come up with in a long time. One of the greatest shows I have seen this summer!

Better than Expected

Author: Berenice Garcia from United States
27 July 2009

When I first heard that there would be a TV series based on one of my favorite films, I thought, "Why are they trying to ruin it?" I was certain that I would be disappointed but upon watching the first episode I was more than happy to admit that I was wrong. The writers take a refreshing turn with the characters while retaining some of their qualities that remain faithful to the movie. Lindsey Shaw's portrayal of Kat Stratford is definitely the best part of the show as she shines in playing both the cynical and human sides of the character. The storyline is also very enjoyable and keeps you on your toes so much that I've often been scouring the web for spoilers. Watch it and you'll find yourself wishing it were longer than half an hour.

Is there any possible way to get this gem back on the air?

Author: condemned_until_rebirth82
18 February 2011

Dear ABC, you have made a HUGE mistake axing this show. It was funny, believable, witty and overall enjoyable. I don't see why people compare it to the movie, there's nothing in common with it except for the characters names and slight mannerisms. As for everything else, it's incomparable. Frankly, the show did a great job in enriching the characters. Kat is more intense and funny, Patrick is mysterious and charming, Bianca is not as shallow, she's actually sometimes more levelheaded than Kat. Cameron, is cuter and funnier. And the rest of the cast is just as brilliant. The screenplay is modern and bold. I really applaud the writing crew, as they did an excellent job in weaving together a well-fit, clean and smart comedy.

It's unlike the rest of the current teen shows out there. So why on earth did it get canceled? If the ratings were low, then this proves that our contemporary youth don't appreciate smart comedies and prefer, tacky, aimless ones, like Secret Life, or 90210 Beverly Hills. I pity them, really! I'm in my late 20s, and I can assure you, it's a show for all age groups. So if you're bored and in need of something intelligent and funny to watch, pick it up. You will not regret it! I URGE TV execs out there to give this show another chance. It has potential.

Really Good, but Something's Missing

Author: crow-oakleaf from United States
22 July 2009

10 Things I Hate About You is a show that teeters on the precipice of being really funny, but doesn't quite make it. Lindsey Shaw, who plays the main character Kat, is fantastic in the part, playing an unapologetically smart and politically-minded teen, who tries hard not to care about the popularity contests of high school. In contrast, her sister Bianca (Meaghan Jette Martin) is obsessed with becoming popular.

The problem is their paranoid father (Larry Miller) won't let Bianca date until Kat does. And Kat has no intention of dating. Until she meets the "mysterious" Patrick Verona (Ethan Peck, grandson of Gregory Peck). In the movie, a geek with a crush on Bianca pays Verona to date Kat, so he can date Bianca, but that hasn't happened yet. The show doesn't try to copy the plot lines and characters of the movie, and I think the show is the better for it.

This show has a lot of things going for it: Lindsey Shaw was a pleasant surprise (since I wasn't all that impressed with her on Aliens in America), and the chemistry between her and Ethan Peck is great. And every episode is full of great quips.

It's a little surreal, which I think works both for and against it. Meaghan Jette Martin and Dana Davis, who plays the mean girl villain of the piece, both go at their roles with over-the-top panache that makes the show fun to watch. But the over-the-topness is really annoying in the case of the nerds, especially Michael (Kyle Kaplan). They're a little too pathetic and clueless for my taste.

But overall, this is a really good sitcom. Lindsey Shaw is a star. A-

For more reviews and thoughts on TV in general go to http://randomrantstv.blogspot.com/

How dare they take this show off !!

Author: roni-roshni from India
3 December 2010

Honestly out of the lots of teenage shows on TV ,it was the only one which made me laugh . Lindsay Shaw is so natural in the role , it seems believable . The dialogues are great .Everyone fits in perfectly in their roles .

What else do we need ? I have no idea why the show did not work .I guess people were comparing it with the original movie . The movie is awesome no doubt , we all loved Heath Ledger in it . Thats no reason to hate the show .

I hope the ABC people bring the show back . Katrick's chemistry is so intense that it blows the lid off . I have cut their parts of the show and have seen them 100s of times and still haven't got bored.

All the people who love this show should try to get this show back . And who haven't seen it , give it a chance . Its the best in years and the most underrated ever.

Please sign this petition here in order to help bring back 10 Things I Hate About You http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/10thingsihateabtu/

Pretty decent

Author: Not War (NotWar) from Wales
9 June 2010

I just caught a couple of episodes on Fiver, and I have to say this is a very funny and decent program. I am at a loss as to why it was canned (other than the fact that the episode lengths were much too short).

I really enjoyed what I have seen, and I will definitely be looking out for more or a DVD at least. The characters were true to their original counterparts, and it was nice to see one of the original actors returning to his role.

All the actors do great jobs at portraying their characters, really giving an insight into their lives.

Worth seeking this one out, even if it has been cancelled indefinitely.

Amazing show that's got even better qualities than the movie

Author: lopcar1993 from United States
8 July 2009

I've sen good shows, I've seen bad shows, and I've seen great shows. And this one is great, this teen drama is inspired by the 1999 film of the same name but the two have absolutely no relations. And that's the great thing about it! It doesn't try to be the movie or even update the film for a younger generation as a T.V. serial.

No 10 things I hate about you is a wholly original and very well made dramedy that brings the total and full aspect of being a teenager to the small screen, it's like the comedic version of The secret life of an American teenager just minus all the sex.

This show has a little something for every teen and some parents who like to watch other teens besides there own screw up. This show is very good and has allot of good qualities to it that make it something to watch on a Tuesday night. It's funny, witty, touching and all around fun for teens. It shows a more comedic and less serious side to being a teenager, which there is. It's not all serious all the time it's pretty fun which is what this show is trying to get across, being a teenager isn't always serious work.

This show has awesome qualities and I think it's going to be around for a very long run on ABC. All in all 10 things I hate about you is something you've got to love.

Addicting characters, interesting plot, amazing show.

Author: Rileybob1004 from United States
30 March 2010

Going into my first episode of this show, I was positive that I would be in for bad acting and a horrible script (The Secret Life of the American Teenager, anyone?). However, upon watching the first few episodes I found that the only problem with this show is that is it way too short for me to get my fill.

The show's storyline is split between that of Bianca and Kat, two completely opposite people. Kat's story consists of her efforts to make men value her more despite their sexist views, and of short, but charming, interactions between her and the school bad boy. Bianca's consists of her quest for popularity and her obliviousness of her stalker…I mean…admirer, Cameron.

Both story lines can be amusing, but I doubt that anyone really watches for both. Either they're a fan of Kat and Patrick, or they are rooting for Bianca to replace Chastity as a head cheerleader and steal her football-playing boyfriend . In the movie, the two story lines were linked together in some way, but in the show they only intertwine when Kat and Bianca argue at the dinner table, which is where the separation of fans comes from. I'm not so sure this is a good thing considering the half-hour show doesn't leave too much time for either of the story lines to be played out much.

Though Meaghan Martin plays a funny, bubbly teen very well, Dana Davis plays the bitchy popular girl so convincingly that I am often just tempted to smack her, and Nick Braun plays the awkward, dorky, and all-around lovable secret admirer as if that is who he has been his entire life anyhow, there are in my opinion, only three characters/actors that really deserve accolades.

Larry Miller plays the part of a psychotic father in such a charming and funny way that I can't help but adore every scene he is in. There is definitely a reason he got the part of the father in both the movie and TV show. The strong acting is great since his character is responsible for what little tie the sisters have to one another in the show and creates good family humor.

Lindsey Shaw is so convincing in her character that I can't imagine any other actress even attempting to play it. She has a natural energy that shines through in her character and she can deliver comical lines like no other. In fact, I probably laugh at her dialogue more than any other character's simply because of the way it comes out of her mouth. Kat gradually goes through a personal growth throughout the show and the audience can watch as someone so sure of herself fights to stay on track and stick to what she has preached. It's quite intriguing.

Ethan Peck, though soft-spoken and not exactly convincing as the bad boy he is supposed to play, delivers a good, unique version of Patrick Verona. While in the movie the character really seemed as if he could have lived up to the rumors everyone had heard about him, I don't get that from this version of Patrick. To me, he seems like the misunderstood kid that wants to appear scary only so that people will leave him alone and so that he can be sure anyone that does make an effort to get to know him is worthwhile. Basically, the character just seems deeper and more mysterious, which I like. However, I'd like to see more of the bad boy side of him so that we know more of him than just what Kat sees. We hear about how scary he is, but because we only see him in scenes with Kat, when he is being nice and trying to charm her, we don't view him has anything resembling scary.

Overall, this show is just downright hilarious and the characters are endearing and addictive. The sarcasm alone is funny, but the characters themselves have such strong personalities, each one with their funny little quirks. The best thing is that the characters don't seem one-dimensional like so many other TV characters are. You are really able to get an idea of who they are to the point that you feel as if you know them. The audience cares about them, and that is the sign of a good character.

not hating this TV series at all

Author: ukimo from Taiwan
14 September 2009

at first i watched only the first episode of season 1, and i thought, well, just another show for teens. yet after the second episode, things are becoming much more interesting. this big sis with bitter tongue is really fun, contrast to the contrast superficial girl Chastity who i really wanna strangle. this TV series is light and more 'close to normal teens' comparing to S, B, J, C, and N in GG. the obstetrician father exaggerates his overprotection but he really gets the heart of his daughters, and he's funny in a father's kind of way, too. not even mentioning the bad boy Patrick Verona (his name is so Shakespearean, btw.), he's so gorgeous & supercute.

Better Than I Expected

Author: plasticanimalz from United States
28 June 2013

I watched about 3 episodes and I was kind of unsure about this show, at first. It has Robin Schiff who is a great writer, and so from the beginning it had some snappy dialogue and the cast is likable. I think the first few episodes I was having trouble with it because I couldn't help but compare it to the original movie and cast. This is almost nothing like that. And when the writers tried to throw in little snipits from the movie it just came off weird, because then you're expecting it all to be like that. I liked the first 3 episodes well enough, but didn't love it and felt it was missing something...but then I found myself coming back and continue to click for more episodes. It's not great. I don't love it...but I find it entertaining enough to come back for more. There is something about it that has appeal. My favorites are Kat and Bianca, Mandela, and Chastity. I like the dad, of course, who's character is identical to the movie (same guy). Cameron grows on you. I just found him slightly annoying at first...and Joseph Gordan Levitt is so likable as that character it's kind of hard to compare. I guess it's more believable that the movie Bianca would eventually fall for him, where the TV Cameron is a little too dorky to make it believable. TV Patrick is a little too pretty and swoony. I liked the Heath Ledger grit, which managed to make that character sexy. TV Patrick is just pretty so he's not used to working for it which lessens his appeal beyond the physical level. See, I'm comparing. Hard not to. I just think the girls, the dad, and the writing are what sells this show. I don't know if it's the music or what it is, but it sort of reminds me a little bit of Parker Lewis Can't Lose. Oh, and I really like the principal and Mary Cherry playing the guidance counselor. She should be a regular character.

It's definitely not as sharp as Grosse Pointe, which was my favorite of Robin Schiff's work, other than Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. But the show is cute enough and the characters likable, and I've seen 9 or 10 episodes, so far, so I think that's enough to get a good idea of the show.