IMDb > Death at a Funeral (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Death at a Funeral

Death at a Funeral More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 10: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]

The whole theater was howling hysterically!

Author: grzinnj from United States
23 April 2010

I went to this movie hoping to just be entertained. Wow! This is a great movie.

I've seen other comedies this year but this by far has to be the funniest! Hilarity abounds at this funeral. It's a great time to be had by all. Laughs galore!

Parents beware. There is a good reason for the R Rating. There are a few gags to that are not suitable for children: There are the gross out poop gags having to do with the character of Uncle Russell and some total-male-nudity gags that occur when one character gets high on dope.

But aside from that it's 90% good-natured humor that comes from incidents that are described in other reviews.

What happens to Danny Glover's character (Uncle Russell) at the end you've just got to see!

Hilarious

Author: kyle-298 from United States
25 April 2010

A must see movie. Much better than the 2007 original. If there were any problems with this film, I would say that it was Luke Wilson. Glad that Peter Dinklage revised his role. His performance in this remake was better than his in the original. James Marsden's performance as Oscar easily stole the show.

The comedy in Death at a Funeral delivers. I can't say it any clearer than that. I found myself laughing throughout the entire movie. There were maybe only 3 small points in the movie where the theater was quiet.

Many people might look at the cast and get the image that the film is a black comedy. Honestly, it isn't. The film caters to all crowds, as the personal problems are relatable to all ethnicity.

Excellent dark comedy farce

Author: Ric-7 from New Orleans LA
20 April 2010

This is not a film aimed at the mass market. Your enjoyment of this film will depend on your appreciation of dark comedy, aka "black comedy," and I am not referring to race. A black comedy is one which presents a usually serious or even a morbid situation in comedic terms. The race of the characters is not the point.

The best previous example I can think of is Joe Orton's "Loot," which involved similar gags about a corpse. But in "Loot," all the characters where British. And white.

In this film, the characters are American. And most were African-American. I.e., not white.

And this was a farce and not merely a comedy. The goal in any farce is to keep a horrible secret from being discovered, and the humor is in the increasingly absurd measures being taken to prevent the discovery.

I thought this film is a gem. Rather than putting a cast of extraordinary African-American actors through the usual paces of what unfortunately passes for comedy these days, the director allowed them to show their ability to present a farce as well as any white cast could do. I am still amazed and astonished.

Thought this is an excellent film, it's not a Tyler Perry film in any way. This same cast of actors in a Tyler Perry film would have done a wonderful job, no doubt at all. But here, that same cast has established that they can produce a farce as hilarious and comical as any that the white farce-masters could devise.

I can't think of any cast member who presented a disappointing performance. Chris Rock was outstanding. I can't say enough good things about him. He anchored this film by a consistent but comic presence. Martin Lawrence as Chris' brother and nemesis was superb.

Danny Glover took a major professional risk in playing this part, but I think he succeeded.

And the white dudes. Luke Wilson, playing something close to his usual persona, was perfect. And James Marsden--it is unfortunate that this film and his performance will probably be forgotten at Oscar time a year from now.

I laughed constantly from about 10 minutes into the film, unto the very end. Dark comedy, black comedy, is not for everyone. But if you are a fan of black comedy, you will love this film.

This is one funeral you won't soon forget.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
19 April 2010

You would'nt think that so many things can go wrong at a funeral, but things go wrong at every turn. First they deliver the wrong body, then a relatives(Zoe Saldana) boyfriend(James Marsden) takes a drug, he thought was Valium, and it makes behave very wacky. The oldest son(Chris Rock) is on his last nerves, when his older brother(Martin Lawrence) is very little help, but things soon unnerving, when a stranger(Peter Dinklage) comes to the funeral, with certain secrets about the descest father. You wonder how will this day turn out?

This movie was funny, Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence, Danny Glover, and Tracy Morgan where all pretty funny. Although James Marsden stole some scenes. There are two scenes that are pretty for shock value, but still pretty funny. This is one of those movies you can laugh at when your having a bad day or week.

All-Star African-American Comedy Masterpiece!

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
19 April 2010

Everything that can possibly go wrong at a memorial service does go wrong in "Nurse Betty" director Neil LaBute's witty but tasteless comedy "Death at a Funeral," starring Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence, Danny Glover, James Marsden, Tracy Morgan and Zoe Saldana. Ostensibly a faithful rehash of director Frank Oz's British comedy with the same title, this predominately African-American remake—just three years after the original—qualifies as a side-splitting experience from fade-in to fade-out with our protagonists contending with one surprise after another to get their dearly departed dad and his mourners through the memorial. Incidentally, Peter Dinklage reprises his role from the original as "mysterious stranger." British scenarist Dean Craig, who penned the original "Funeral," banks on outrageous situations as well as Chris Rock's commentary to yield laughs galore. Essentially, Craig has relocated the action to Southern California. The primary characters consist of an oddball variety of believable, quirky, but sympathetic people. Indeed, the cast acts virtually as an ensemble in some scenes. Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence complement each other without trying to one-up each other. James Marsden has a field day with his character-driven shenanigans and Tracy Morgan draws some of the biggest laughs. The important thing here--as in most good comedies--is that the cast and the director don't consciously behave as if they were making a comedy. Nobody tries to be funny. The humor emerges in the collision between the characters and events beyond their control. Watching the reactions of both Rock and Lawrence constitutes half of the fun of "Death at a Funeral."

Tax accountant Aaron Barnes (Chris Rock of "Good Hair") is not a happy camper as "Death at a Funeral" unfolds. Imagine Aaron's reaction when the funeral home delivers the wrong corpse to his house! When they open the casket for our protagonist, Aaron finds himself staring down at an Asian gentlemen (Jamison Yang of "Surfer, Dude") rather than his deceased father Edward (Bob Minor of "The Gingerbread Man"). Since Edward's death, Aaron's overwrought mother Cynthia (Loretta Divine of "Waiting to Exhale") has been pestering both Aaron and his 37-year old wife Michelle (Regina Hall of "Scary Movie") about giving her a grandchild to take her mind off her late husband. Moreover, Aaron is struggling with his father's eulogy. Tradition dictates that the oldest son must deliver the eulogy. Nevertheless, some people, such as Aaron's uncle Duncan (Ron Glass of TV's "Barney Miller"), think Aaron's younger brother, Ryan (Martin Lawrence of "Bad Boys"), who is a bestselling novelist, should have drawn that assignment. As it turns out, Aaron is only nine months older than Ryan. You see, Aaron has written a book, but he has refused to let anybody read it. Meanwhile, Cynthia is so overjoyed when her celebrity son Ryan arrives that she knocks down Michelle in her haste to embrace her baby. Ryan is a smooth-talking womanizer. He is also a published writer so deep in debt that he doesn't have a dime. When Aaron asks for help with the expensive funeral bill, Ryan backs out. Instead, Ryan sets out to seduce a sexy 18-year old girl, Martina (Regine Nehy of "Lakeview Terrace"), who gets his hormones into an uproar.

Meantime, Aaron's cousin Elaine (Zoe Saldana of "Avatar") is attending the memorial service with her newest boyfriend Oscar ((James Marsden of "X-Men") and Oscar is really nervous about running into Elaine's father Duncan again. Oscar doesn't think that Duncan likes him. Elaine and Oscar cruise over to pick up her brother Jeffrey (Columbus Short of "Armored") and Elaine borrows a Valium. What Elaine doesn't know is that Jeffrey has whipped up a hallucinogenic cocktail of mescaline and acid for his friends. Jeffrey doesn't discover what Elaine has done until he notices Oscar's bizarre behavior. At one point during the memorial service, Oscar is so sure that he has seen the coffin move that he interrupts the service. A melee ensues as Aaron and company try to subdue Oscar. Predictably, the casket topples onto the floor and Edward rolls out! If Oscar's misguided shenanigans were not enough to contend with, a stranger named Frank (Peter Dinklage of "Elf") corners Aaron with incriminating photos of Edward and he cuddling up to each other like the gay lovers that they were. Frank demands $30-thousand dollars or he will show the photos to Cynthia.

Elaine's ex-boyfriend Derek (Luke Wilson of "Home Fries") and long-time family friend Norman (Tracy Morgan of "Cop Out") have to make a detour at a nursing home to collect cantankerous Uncle Russell (Danny Glover of "Lethal Weapon") and bring him with them. The wheel chair bound Uncle Russell doesn't give Norman a moment's peace. Derek is hoping that he can patch things up with Elaine, and he does his best to change her mind about him. On the other hand, everything that Norman does for Uncle Russell draws criticism from the oldster. Things get really out of hand when Norman has to assist Uncle Russell to the toilet and Norman's hand gets trapped under Uncle Russell. Mind you, this is only the set-up for even more hilarity that follows.

Between the wrongly delivered corpse and Uncle Russell's antics, "Death at a Funeral" boasts more than enough high-jinks to keep you chuckling out loud. Dull moments are few and far between, and this superficial but funny Paramount Pictures gagfest never loses track with its objective: making us laugh. The refreshing thing about "Death at a Funeral" is how LaBute confines the most action to the family household without inducing a sense of claustrophobia. Anybody who enjoys Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence, and Tracy Morgan will have a rollicking good time at this contagiously funny, but dark comedy about mortality and the different facets that death exposes to an individual's character.

Surprisingly positive upswing for the genre

Author: bopdog from Great Pacific Northwest
17 April 2010

I liked this movie. Heard it was a gross-out--- not true! Sure, it has its rude moments, but in a raucous, bust-a-gut funny way. What did concern me was the genre, and Chris Rock. I mention it here only because it turned out not just well, but admirably and surprisingly well.

I am being sincere and as respectful as I can when I say that many of the "ethnic" family comedies of the past 10 years have left me a bit cold, and puzzled. I wondered what the humour was??? For members of any particular social group specialised humour can be meaningful. It may be a valid way to celebrate one's ethnicity and one's unique place in the world. And that is GREAT! It's just that those laser-focused themes may not appeal to other people in general. And, sometimes the rush to celebrate one's own "flavor" can also, at the end of the day, have the effect of creating an exclusionary, "us and them" mentality. And that's OK too, as we all have family time and friend time that may not be appropriately shared with every other single person on the planet.

So while I don't have a problem with the genre of "look how different WE are" films, I also am simply not drawn to them either. Chris Rock is an immensely talented performer, and can be hilarious! But as with the aforementioned genre of film, he has in the past struck me as a somewhat angry, unfair, and divisive personality.

So, I mention all that to say how utterly unlike my fears this movie turned out to be. Maybe my perceptions had changed in some way? Or maybe the genre has evolved and matured to the point where uniqueness, specialness, and "character" can now be presented as something ALL audiences can delight in? That is, I felt sincerely welcomed into this movie's world. I found that positive universality "new," and I really, really loved the invite and the experience.

The film itself is not a masterpiece--- most comedies are not--- but it is hilarious, and very well done. Martin Lawrence's character, and Luke Wilson's character were both obnoxious- but that's a film genre staple going back 90 years. Once I realised it wasn't about race, or fearing others, I could laugh at their boorish antics. The other characters showed genuine love, concern, and quirky personalities--- all fit ingredients of this kind of comedy.

Was it vulgar? Yeah--- but not as much as I had been led to believe. Was it funny? Yep! Was it all wrapped up neatly by the end of the film in true comedy tradition? Well duh, of course it was. If a few pooh jokes don't cause you to cringe with apoplexy, go see this. You will laugh, and feel better when you leave the cinema than when you arrived.

Excellent movie

Author: bdemitries from United States
16 April 2010

Death at a Funeral is one hilarious movie. It's one of the funniest movies i've seen this century, and probably the best of 2010 so far. This new remake of the original that was released in 2007 features lots of big laughs, and is just as funny as the first. Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan, Martin Lawrence, and the handful of other black actors really know how to meet the demands of comedy hungry fans. This movie has got to be one of the most funniest since the Hangover and Bruno. While it does feature scenes that are more of the same of the original, it still brings back more laughs than you can count. Overall, Death at a Funeral is an excellent movie that is well worth watching if you want to have a laugh (actually, tons of laughs).

Slapstick comedy at its best

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
15 April 2010

(Synopsis) Aaron (Chris Rock) is a well-mannered and hard working young man, married to Michelle (Regina Hall), and still living at his father's home. When his father dies, it is up to Aaron, the oldest son, to organize the funeral and give the eulogy. The funeral takes place in his father's home and Aaron tries to put on an appropriate expression on his face to welcome his relatives, including his famous writer brother Ryan (Martin Lawrence), and his father's friends. But preserving a civil atmosphere will be a hard thing to do, especially, when from the very start, the undertaker makes a horrifying mistake. And Ryan wants to be the celebrity of the event without paying for anything. But those incidents are only minor compared to the information that Aaron and Ryan get from Frank (Peter Dinklage) the mysterious dwarf who is attending the funeral and nobody seems to know.

(My Comment) This movie had it all as to jokes crossing the line. It had a body falling out of the coffin, it had nude scenes and people on drugs, it had feces on people, and it had sibling-rivalry, and a wife who wants to get pregnant, all of this happening during the funeral. However, all this said, it is one of the funniest comedies I have seen in years. You will laugh out loud from beginning to end. There are some scenes that I almost busted a gut laughing so hard. This is slapstick comedy at its best, and the scene with Danny Glover is the funniest. After laughing so hard, I was actually tired leaving the movie. The movie may not be PC, but it is only a movie. (Screen Gems, Run Time 1:30, Rated R) (8/10)

Better than the Original

Author: Brent Trafton from Long Beach, CA
21 April 2010

The American remake of "Death at a Funeral" is one of the rare instances of the remake being better than the original.

The story, and for the most part, the script is the same. The thing that makes the new version so much better is the cast. Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence, and Tracy Morgan make a great comedy team and none of them have ever made a better film. The rest of the large cast is excellent and the dialog was quick and witty. Danny Glover almost steals the movie as the cantankerous uncle.

Like the original, there is a lot of dark humor. Not all of the laughs are the type where you laugh out loud, but I found the entire film enjoyable.

I can only guess that the low rating and poor reviews are from people who really loved the original. I didn't really care for the original and I was surprised at how good the new version was. Whether or not you have seen the original, I recommend seeing the new version of "Death at a Funeral."

A remake worth watching it!

Author: Filip Gjorgievski from Macedonia, (The Former Yugoslav Republic of)
13 April 2010

I can see that on the forum lot of people complain and hate it because it's a remake from not so old movie and complete same storyline. Yeah it's the same story but boosted with many more enjoyable laughs. I mean in the original in the first 10 minutes I couldn't tell weather I'm watching a comedy or a tragedy. Still for those who haven't watched the original I'll just warn that there are many scenes where you gonna laugh even if you're not supposed to, but after all it's a black humor. The all star cast did a great job bringing a new life to this movie. I wish all the remakes were done like this one. So if you want 90 minutes of laughing out loud this is definitely your movie of choice.Have fun!

Page 10 of 10: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]