IMDb > Death at a Funeral (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Death at a Funeral

Death at a Funeral More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

The 2010 "Death at a Funeral," directed by Neil LaBute, has been moved from England to a Los Angeles suburb...

Author: dassoku from United States
28 October 2012

where the family and friends of a black middle-class patriarch gather to pay their final respects. This film revolves around the funeral ceremony for the father of Aaron (Chris Rock) and Ryan (Martin Lawrence). Aaron, the older son, lives with his wife Michelle (Regina Hall) at his parents' home. Aaron and Michelle have been trying to buy their own home and have children but have been unsuccessful. Aaron envies Ryan because Ryan is a successful writer, while he has not had his novel published, and resents his brother because he would rather spend money on two first class tickets from New York to L.A. than help him pay for the funeral expenses.

The plot is similar to the original death at a Funeral, a UK production, which came out in 2007, starring Matthew McFayden, Alan Tudyk, Peter Vaughan, Keeley Hawes, Peter Dinklage and Rupert Graves as a dysfunctional family gathering together for a funeral service. Both these movies are good, enjoyable, fun watches. Uncle Aflie (US, Danny Glover, UK, and Peter Vaughan) are hilarious. Both of these movies are good, enjoyable, fun watches.

Silly

Author: JM McNamara from Australia
7 May 2012

Fortunately this film does not aspire to great heights. Flogged, hackneyed racial in-jokes spoil rather than entertain. Typical token-black hogwash. This film stars some familiar faces presumably so people will say "oh it's that guy," affording the film enough time to slip in a half-baked one-liner to catch their attention and with any luck stop them changing the channel. Personally I was working on my research when I overheard this film's embarrassingly try-hard attempts to be funny. Since I was close to nodding off, and a source once told me the film was passable, I slumped onto the couch in disbelief as Chris Rock gave his father's eulogy right when a midget predictably leaped from the casket. In the uproar that follows, a resolute Rock commands the audience's attention because his trite message is important. His accomplice, wearing square-rims, looks on approvingly. Sometime before this, a white guy was on acid on a rooftop threatening to commit suicide. It's possible I missed something, but I don't know how to reconcile the two.

There is no lesson here, except that the dumb can get on top of the clever, and from there, proceed to defecate all over their better judgment.

Big Names in Remake Provide Few Laughs

Author: chris dimarino from Canada
20 March 2012

Death at a funeral was just not that funny. I mean if there was anything more to this movie aside from as a dedicated comedy, that might have been acceptable. But this movie has far too many names for the amount of laughs. They play their parts well enough, maybe the script is to blame.

James Marsden provided the only real consistently funny presence. Call my a Kevin Hart fan, but his cameo was also funny. That's about it. Tracy Morgan is his typical outrageous self, so if you enjoy that there's plenty. But Chris Rock in enamored with playing the serious role and Martin Lawrence's lines just didn't hold much comedy.

This movie was shot well but also felt too long. It seemed like someone took the core concept from the British movie, wrote a few jokes and cast a lot of stars.

I wouldn't recommend this movie to many. There are so many good comedies out there that this doesn't really stack up.

Hollywood Death At A Funeral

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
18 January 2012

I wasn't particularly keen on watching this remake. More so because the original movie was only made about three years prior to this one AND it's in English language so why was there even the need for a remake. Do Americans really not get British humour that they need to have them remade? I was surprised that Neil LaBute, who usually makes interesting films (if one can forget 'Wickerman'), chose to direct this. While the humour here is not as subtle nor as refreshing as its predecessor, it's actually still quite funny. 'Death at a Funeral' could have easily been much worse (given that much of the cast has been loud in their other films). A few of the jokes fall flat but otherwise the humour mostly works (especially the sequences that have been directly copied from the original).

LaBute assembles a fine ensemble that includes Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence, Peter Dinklage (reprising the same role), Luke Wilson, James Marsden, Columbus Short, Zoë Saldaña, Tracy Morgan, Regina Hall, Loretta Devine, Keith David and so on. With the exception of Tracy Morgan, all the actors do a fine job and work well off one another. Rock and Hall are quite different from their other films. Marsden gets to display his flair for comedy.

Overall, it's not as bad as I thought it would be but it still doesn't match up to Frank Oz's film.

Awww $#*%....Not as bad as I wanted it to be.

Author: heyanerd from United States
21 May 2011

As a fan of the 2007 original, I really did not understand why they had to remake this movie JUST for American audiences. I mean, it was in English and directed by AN American, for cryin' out loud!!!

I decided to give it a chance because I love Chris Rock, even though a few of his choices in movie roles haven't been quite up to par with his talent. With a producer credit, though, on this film, I figured he was a fan of the original and wouldn't try to rework it too much. That and PETER DINKLAGE was asked to actually agreed to reprise his role!

Although some jokes are slightly more heavy-handed in this version, and some jokes not as kinetic (Father Falling out of Casket didn't strike me like it did in the Frank Oz version), it is overall the same movie with a different cast.

In fact, in a weird way little bits were improved and gave the movie an overall flow that worked. Where Luke Wilson plays the Ewen Bremner character, his successful yet sleazy character was made as a foil to the James Marsden character, as opposed to some slime hitting on Alan Tudyk's fiancée. And even though they beefed up the James Marsden freak- outs over Alan Tudyk's amazing ones, these ones still had me laughing.

I guess in the end the movie feels like you are watching a play put on by a different production company where they keep the same book, script, and basic concepts and add a few flairs of their own style to it. For those of you thinking "this must be the BLACK version of the original, eh??", I would say yes, it centers around a black family with more of an African-American aesthetic and motifs, that certainly isn't the point of the movie. Perhaps lots of camera angles, shots and ideas wouldn't have been in director Neil LaBute's head if it weren't for the original, yet this movie is able to make it's "own thing" happen.

Overall, I recommend this film, as reluctant as I would have been when I knew it was being made. Also, I recommend the original too because it's also good and has a cast that will make you laugh in a different way.

Death at a Funeral

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
5 February 2011

From director Neil LaBute (In the Company of Men, Nurse Betty), I only found out after watching that this was a remake of the same titled film from only three years earlier, but this one is apparently more superior. Basically the father of the Barnes brothers, Aaron (Chris Rock) and Ryan (Martin Lawrence) who have different views and personalities, has died, and they are holding the funeral in the family house. Family members and guests going to the funeral include Aaron's wife Michelle (Regina Hall), Elaine (Zoë Saldaña) with her inebriated fiancé Oscar (James Marsden), grouchy Uncle Russell (Danny Glover), Derek (Luke Wilson), Jeff (Columbus Short), Cynthia (Loretta Devine) and paranoid and slightly dumb Norman (Tracy Morgan). Reverend Davis (Keith David), a fan of Ryan's writing is the one overseeing things, but there is also an appearance by an unfamiliar friend the father, a dwarf named Frank (Peter Dinklage), who is interrupted a few times when trying to explain why he is there. The funeral starts off fine, and then the intoxicated Oscar thinks he sees the coffin move, and causes chaos trying to open it and making the body fall onto the floor. While everyone is talking to each other, trying to calm down after this event, and the body and coffin are put back in place, Aaron finally approaches Frank, who is ready to explain how he knew his father. Aaron and Ryan find out with a shocking photo as evidence that their father was in fact gay, and Frank was his lover, and he is threatening to reveal this secret to the mother and everyone else unless he gets $30,000 he feels he is owed, as he is not in the will. It takes a while to make any decision, and Frank gets angry and starts fighting with the brothers, Jeff and Norman, to the point where they restrain him, and give him the same "valium" Oscar took. Of course they find out that it is a mixed drug that caused hallucinations, but in Frank's case, he falls to the ground and they believe him to be dead. While they panic and plan to put the body in the same coffin as the original corpse, seeing how he is small enough, Oscar thinks his fiancée has feelings for Derek, and slowly going back to normal, he strips naked and threatens to jump off the roof. He is stopped by Elaine telling him she is pregnant, and with Frank hidden the funeral looks like it's ready to go on as planned, but then Frank wakes up and jumps out of the coffin, and the big secret is revealed to the mother via the photo. Aaron yells that he and Ryan may have found out this secret, but their father was a good man, Michelle gets her wish to plan a baby, and the end sees Uncle Russell naked on the roof having taken the mistaken "valium" too. Also starring Ron Glass as Duncan and Scary Movie 3's Kevin Hart as Brian. The mostly black all-star cast is good, with Dinklage reprising his role from the original version, the jokes may not be constant but the scripting just makes you keep you interested, so it's not a bad comedy. Worth watching!

Life At the Funeral!

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
18 May 2015

Death at a Funeral (2010): Dir: Neil LaBute / Cast: Chris Rock, Martin Lawrence, Tracy Morgan, Peter Dinkledge, James Marsden: Superb comedy about secrets revealed within one family within the compounds of a funeral held at the house. Chris Rock plays oldest son who is preparing a speech with regards to his deceased father as well as dealing with his wife's yearning for pregnancy. Martin Lawrence plays his brother who succeeded as an author when he failed. Tracy Morgan worries about a rash on his hand. He is sent to pick up his foul mood uncle. Peter Dinkledge steals scenes as a midget with dire information. Directed by Neil LaBute who previously made the dark comedy Nurse Betty, but this is certainly something different from the director. He is aided by a superb cast of comics headed by Rock who mirrors both frustration and the yearning just to get through the day. His closing speech in one of the film's most priceless moments. Lawrence avoids responsibility while pursuing a younger venue of women. Morgan ignites much humour in dealing with the demands of his uncle, particular an uncomfortable moment in the washroom. James Marsden steals scenes as a white guy dating one of the daughters and ends up high and naked on the roof. Finally there is Dinkledge who steals his scenes especially when his plans of blackmail go way off in left field and in bizarre places. Great comedy about reunion and family with hilarious situations involving misplaced bodies, pills that aren't what they seem, and a trip to the washroom that brings this funeral home down with big laughs. Score: 10 / 10

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
20 April 2014

Death At A Funeral is a remake of a 2007 British comedy by the same name, and is usually not the type of film I go for. For starters, I hate Chris Rock, and I really couldn't see a film about a funeral being all that funny. The previews were a riot and I love Martin Lawrence, so I decide to give it a try and was once again was taught that you can't judge a book by it's cover. This film turned out to be one of the funniest I've seen in a long time. It's a solemn day for Aaron and Brian, as they prepare to lay their father to rest. They expect it to be a small, simple ceremony, but they are soon reminded of why their family only gets together at weddings and funerals. A series of unbelievable and hysterical events keep disrupting the service, which include, but are not limited to, a gay midget, a guest tripping on acid, and a crotchety old man that really has to poop. I'm not surprised that I liked this film as much as I did, but I was surprised by the reasons why I liked it. You'd think an R rated film staring Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence would be raunchy as hell and way over the top, and it was, but not because of either of them. Rock and Lawrence were actually fairly toned down in this film and it was the large cast of supporting characters who really make the film. Danny Glover is amazing as Uncle Russell, an old timer who hates everyone and isn't afraid to run his mouth. James Marsden is equally as good, as the hated white boy friend, who takes what he thinks is Valium to calm down before the service. Death At A Funeral is absolutely hysterical and full of non-stop ridiculousness, if this film doesn't make you laugh, there is most definitely something wrong with you.

Underrated

Author: abc-tvbuff from United States
16 November 2012

The problem nowadays, is that no one can ever make a remake and have it criticized on its on merit...instead everyone just compares it to its' original and believes that you can't like both.

As a person who never saw the original, I can say that this was a a good movie. The only reason why I gave it a 9 instead of a ten is because the very very beginning (maybe the first 15 minutes) sort of coddled us through the introductions, and I much prefer a movie/TV show to dive right into the plot. But other than that, the movie was hilarious all the way through...in fact it seemed to get funnier as the story progressed. By the end of it, I was dying with laughter.

The acting was great, the ensemble cast had great chemistry and each character stood out int their own way so the character development was spot on. I think that people should give this movie a real shot and don't go into it comparing it to the original because no remake is going to be the same...every remake is going to have it's own twist and creativity that's going to cater to different people...so give this movie a shot! :)

Comedy

Author: smithf05 from United States
24 October 2012

A comedy that focused on two brothers and their relationship with the decease. Chris Rock and Martin Lawrence encountered difficulties through out the entire funeral that some what changed their lives. Anything that you could think of probably went wrong that day, but the brothers tried everything to get through everything that tried to stand in their way. The brothers found out some astonishing information about the decease that they did not want to be released at no cost. Trying to keep this secret caused some difficulties that could have cost them a lot more than they where prepared for. This film was not some of Chris and Martin's best work, but I did get a few chuckles out of it. I usually enjoy movies that Chris and Martin make but I guess it is a little more difficult when the movie is a remake; although I did not see the original.

Page 5 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]