IMDb > Star Wars: The Old Republic (2011) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Star Wars: The Old Republic (VG) More at IMDbPro »

Amazing Game

Author: jordan-kollins from United States
6 January 2012

This is certainly the largest and greatest Star Wars game to date. SWTOR has taken the gameplay system of World of Warcraft, and made it faster paced, given more of a heroic feel, and amped up everything that was good about it. While not some of the best graphics at all time due to some rendering bugs and lags, the graphics are still very well done. It has some of the best story telling in not only MMO's but in RPG's as well. The maps are larger than anything I have ever seen in a video game, and that's saying a lot. There are hundreds to thousands of hours of playable content at launch alone, with little to no server issues. Take World of Warcraft, add Mass Effect, The Original Star Wars Trilogy, And multiply the size of that by 1000, you have you game.

8.25/10

Awesome game and getting better!

Author: MCoverKT (mcoverkt@gmail.com) from The Bad Place
25 April 2012

This should game should not be compared to WoW. WoW has been out for YEARS, and this has been out for MONTHS. Was WoW totally awesome and bug free a few months after release? (no)

Anyway, there are eight different classes, all with different core story lines. Then there's quest lines that everyone shares. Personally I play all eight classes at once, I just play what strikes my fancy that day.

Each class graduates to an advance class at level 10, usually a choice between outright DPS, or Heal/Tank class. Each class on the Imperial side has a similar class on the Republic side, but they are different enough to not feel like carbon copies.

Bounty Hunter/Trooper- Heavy duty ranged DPS, tank or healer Sith Warrior/Jedi Knight- heavy Duty melee DPS or tank Sith Inquistor/Jedi Consular- ranged DPS, tank or healer Imperial Agent/Smuggler- ranged DPS, rogue type DPS, or heals

There is also a dark side/light side system that has nothing to do with your faction. You can have a Sith Warrior following the light side or a Dark side Jedi knight if you so choose. It's all about how you handle decisions. Let the poor hungry kids keep what they stole from the rich guy or punish them? Kill people for information, or talk them into helping you? Help someone because it's right, or because you make them pay you? Thinkgs like that.

All classes get different companions that serve different roles (healer, tank, ranged/melee, etc...) and companions you aren't using at the time can go do missions for you that get you supplies, money, etc.

There are tons of crafting opportunities. Make your own armor, weapons, modifiers for gear, med packs, equipment, speeders, ship parts etc.

Speaking of ships, you get one after you finish your first part of the storyline (around 12-16 depending on if you work on other quests as well). You travel with it, do space missions that are rails based attacks and it is also your personal "inn" to get rested XP.

A legacy system is used by all your characters on each server. No matter what faction, each character gains points to unlock handy things that benefit all characters (vender droids and mailboxes in your ship, buffs, etc.

They are always actively trying to make it better and it has come a long way in a short time. They are very open to suggestions, and even encourage them in a forum that they answer on a regular basis. They have big plans for the future.

There's a free trial out there, get it and make your own decision.

Storyline and game-play makes up for the flaws

Author: nikolaivik-667-193131 from Norway
23 April 2013

As any other MMO, Star Wars the Old Republic(SWTOR) encounters a bunch of flaws. Detectable but minor. SWTOR's endgame content is lacking, repetitive side quests and very long time between content updates.

But the storyline and general feel of the game-play and leveling mechanics. I've leveled up several characters just to level up. I do not think there is any other MMO that has made leveling up so much fun as it is in SWTOR. The storyline is one of the most magnificent mmo story lines and possibly the best mmo storyline ever created, for each class. Each class departs on different journeys, sided with either the Republic, or the "good guys" and the Empire, also known as the "bad guys". Each side has 4 classes each, but these are mirror classes which makes the sides balanced when it comes to the PVP part.

This is one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played.

Why a 6.6?!

Author: hunter-599-422384
23 May 2013

This is a great game! I don't mind that the graphics are not great or the story sucks! But here is the Pros:

1. Create a character is simple! And no one looks alike here and no one has the same name! Everyone is different. 2. The plot is OK. (I am a jedi consular) at the way beginning you are about to begin your training session and the flesh raiders attack. And though you are not prepared. Your master sends you to help the people being attacked. After you get a lightsaber you go to your master that way you can go on your own as a master. When she falls ill. You go to corasaunt (sp?) and you find a cure. When you find a cure there are other masters who are becoming ill and you need to take your own ship and heal them and defeat the sith that is behind them... 3. Entertaining!!

So now the cons...

1. The romances seam lame. Like you just make out with the person and the screen goes black. Its like the romances don't fit with the game. 2. They need more servers. When I play i look at the server population. They need like 3 or 4 more because the lowest that i ever see is Heavy... Another thing that may disappoint is that you don't get the actual weapon that a true jedi holds. (A lightsaber) until you play for a while. You beat the first planet. Doing ALL side quests too. At like lvl 10. But right before you leave you get a lightsaber. The a ship. It seems like they wanted you to work too hard for something too little. A lightsaber is cool and stuff. But its not anything like i thought. It still takes a few "Whacks" to kill the people you are in a fight with. Overall its the Best MMO I have ever played.

8.6/10

High Five Producers

Author: jj10141416 from United States
6 April 2014

To address problems that one of the other reviewers brought up the space combat missions have been totally redone and now can rank alongside other popular flight combat games. I also find the storyline able to hold my attention as my Jedi, Sith, Smuggler, Bounty hunter, Imperial agent or Republic Commando helps tired soldiers, weeping mothers, studious doctors and many other characters further the glory of the Republic or Empire respectively. The only problem I have discovered through hours of enjoyment of this masterpiece is if I use a slower computer (quad-core or less) I have some lagging occurs but waiting for a second to allow the server to catch up fixes it almost immediately also slow internet problems can bring about this same problem. For those still skeptical this game has a free to play trial (swtor.com) that allows for not one penny paid a gamer to play all the way through the game ( this does includes restrictions such as not being allowed constant constant access to PvP side games which does not affect the campaign part of the game, PvP purpose being mainly enjoyment and exp gaining). So take a look at this especially if you are any kind of a Star Wars fan like me :)

A disappointment

Author: oliveru-264-184640 from Stockholm, Sweden
28 January 2012

(For your information I will refer to The Old Republic as SWTOR)

This game is a true disappointment, it is exactly like WoW. The only difference is that SWTOR got a shallow storyline and World of Warcraft doesn't even have one. You probably think that I hate MMO's but I actually enjoyed Star wars: Galaxies quite much to be honest.

SWTOR devolved back quite a bit in comparison to Star Wars Galaxies. The space combat in SWTOR is a true disappointment and the game should not be purchased by people itching for a exciting dogfight.

If you like World of Warcraft you will like this because it's almost exactly the same thing, but none wants to admit it. If you on the other hand are as me and was hoping for a well-made game with much depth and story I am sorry to break the bad news to you.

Right...

Author: iwonatrophy
23 January 2012

I found this game had the absolute potential to be my new favorite game. Unfortunately after a week of playing I was extremely disappointed. At first the game-play and overall game mechanics were fine but over time you release how shabby and stiff the controls are. For example sometimes when pressing a key, you notice some delay which can really put you off.

Secondly if you are running are a mid-range computer, be prepared to lower the graphics settings. At high graphics you will see noticeable lag even though the graphics are not as beautiful as other games (e.g. Battlefield 3 which runs fine on high settings.) This game needs some optimization over time if they want to see me and other mid-ranged users playing.

Thirdly I was expecting an interesting storyline. Unfortunately again EA has disappointed me. I won't ruin it for anybody else but the seemed good at the start but really does drag on after a while and nothing compared to the original star wars stories from the movies.

Fourthly and finally be prepared to install third party software known as Origin onto your system. I have found many performance issues which I have led to believe that this software is also slowing down my game.

Overall 5/10. Seemed good for a few days but after a while the game mechanics, graphics and overall the story really seems to drag on and really needs to be attended to by the developers.