IMDb > The Expendables (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Expendables

The Expendables More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 75: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

People get shot with bullets, from guns, and die as a result.

Author: matt-soulliere from Canada
28 July 2010

If you aren't sure what to expect going into this think Rambo, only there are five Rambos instead of just one, and two of them know karate.

If you do have high expectations going in (as I did), you will start to wonder if perhaps this movie isn't going to be what you were expecting as you watch it. The first hour gives you the two 'big' cameos, which weren't worth the hype (or any hype for that matter), and an out of place Mickey Rourke emotional moment but not much else.

The real payoff comes in the last half hour or so of the movie which is a beautiful symphony of mindless violence, and more than makes up for the beginning.

Overall the movie seemed a little rushed as far as the story goes and I won't be surprised to see a extended cut when this comes out on DVD but it is a solid action movie and worth the watch. And hats off to Randy Couture who actually steals the movie a little bit during the big action scene at the end.

"Makes Michael Bay look like Bergman"

Author: reinbo from Rotterdam, the Netherlands
14 August 2010

Awesome action picture in the line of Rambo 4. This movie is really loud!

If you are a fan of big macho action cinema as it was like in the '80s, you will not be disappointment. I liked all the characters, especially the ones played by Lundgren en Rouke. It also hods Stratham's finest performance, who plays the lead next to Sly.

I was a bit disappointed with the scene with the 'big three'. That scene was quite boring and Arnold looked really old. I guess they did not have time to make more out of it.

Back to the movie. It has some great action scenes. The one with the plane bombing the hell out of the village in the beginning is an instant classic. Last half an hour it goes completely insane when everybody is fighting everybody and the rest gets blown to pieces.

Greatest action movie so far. Stallone did it again 25 years after Rambo 2, he completely blew me out of my seat. 10/10

What did he say?

Author: Sanj Dale from United Kingdom
5 September 2010

You know when I decided to see this I wanted mindless action and to see how all these old timers cut it in an action Movie still... OK for the second part they cut it quite well, their age didn't really show apart from one ridiculous scene where Sly Stallone tries to run after a plane taking off! His running looked laboured and it didn't look like he would in anyway catch the plane but he did and it looked awful... the rest wasn't so bad most of the action they were involved in was in cars etc so they didn't have to labour too hard.

now for the mindless action... I couldn't understand the dialogue... Sly Stallone being the worst offender... He can barely string a sentence together in his prime and in this Movie he is totally unintelligible... with all this CGI they could make his speech clearer i think, or at least give him subtitles.. it totally ruined what should have been a mindless movie for me as i had to concentrate too hard on what he was saying to sit back and be mindless...

Waste of time!

Author: highams from United Kingdom
28 August 2010

What film did the other reviewers watch? The film was hardly worth saying it had a plot, disjointed (like the A Team) and the action was too much shooting...and simply not in the class of production that Rambo was just in. The lighting was bad at times, and seemed cheaply made, and wow did the actors not look young any more.

And don't get me started on the casting of Dexter's Angel Batista as the baddie.....oh dear.

Such a shame of a movie.

It was one of my worst films I have seen this year, and I love action movies (Lethal Weapon Die Hard and Transporter being the best franchises at the moment).

But if it made them money....

The best casting was Dolph, and he was under used. Get him in some higher budget movies, his whole career has been under used, and Hollyood have missed out! Jet Li's martial arts were under used, after his hard man performance in Lethal Weapon. Bruce had a few lines as did Arnold, and then who were the rest of the cast!!? Jason S was good as usual, but again looked like he was just so pleased to be among the cast - do Transporter 4 Jason, though 3 was weak true enough.

Avoid in my view. If only Arnold and Bruce had been more in it.

Bad, bad, bad movie!

Author: moumen-akel
31 August 2010

One of the worst films I've seen lately. It was actually painful to watch!

I didn't expect Oscar performance or plot of course. This is an action movie. But it's so ridiculous, it could have been easily made into an action movie spoof! The dialogue was so bad it would have been better to have all the clichés in the book instead of the dialogue. The performance was extremely bad. It's like they have been doing their best to overact! Bruce Willis managed to be quite awful in 4 lines of dialogue.

In short, the movie seems like Stalone's way of proving all the bad things critics said about him, and all of his friends.

An unfortunate disappointment

Author: Phillmalloch from New Zealand
27 August 2010

This movie had a lot of hype and I expected something new from these guys but what I saw was an out of date idea, done really bad Oh wow take a dictator on at his own island great, but there was no real method in it , other than a lot of cliché chatter and big explosions. I really wanted to see some more depth to this, unfortunately all we get is a shallow plot and UN-impressing dialog, "these guys can act right" ? One thing with the shotgun and the new weapons that are used now , was a nice touch with factual ammunition and used well in this movie and that's about the most awesome it gets. Jet Li had a moment of being a wee cry-baby.. eh? The 1 min of Arnold showing his face just took the this movie as a complete hollow idea , or that scene was , along with Bruce being the secret guy teeing up the job .. it felt like it was all so fake The beginning had me thinking this was going to be an awesome film as there are some scenes there that are really cool , but that's where it all goes south, take this movie and put it in your area of a lot of money not well spent Sly, if your going to make another please give it some substance and stop having your friends over for dinner, just to have a few laughs.

Predictable.

Author: Big_River from United States
7 September 2012

A typical action movie that checks all of the action movie boxes. Lots of explosions, shootings, killings and unrealistic fight scenes.

It's great to see all of the dinosaurs from the 80's team up with each other. Stallone looked convincing as the main guy but it's the youth of Jason Statham that delivers the adrenalin in this movie. I would've liked to have seen more from Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Their roles were far too short for the amount of action experience they have. Steve Austin is the only person that was miscast. Personally, I think that this movie would have been better without him.

I got what I expected and if you like action movies...you will definitely like "The Expendables".

Watchable, more because of the action stars united in a single movie then anything else

Author: Jessica Carvalho from Brazil
7 October 2010

A team of elite mercenaries, the Expendables, leaded by Barney Ross head to South America on a mission to overthrow a dictator of a small South American island. Barney and Lee, a knife enthusiast, meet the rebel Sandra and discover what is really happening behind the conflict in the city. Sandra is revealed to be the dictator's daughter, and during an ambush, they need to scape and let Sandra behind. But Ross cannot let Sandra there, and to make peace with his conscience, he and his team decide to go back to the Island.

'The Expendables' is not a great masterpiece of the action movies but is not a terrible movie either; to be honest, as many users here already wrote, the movie is very ' so so'. I could say the movie is 'satisfying', if I need to use a word. Being honest, I was hoping for more, specially because all of the propaganda saying it would be the 'Greatest Action Film Ever', and also with the reunion of great names like Bruce Wilis,Schwarzenegger, Jet Li,Dolph Lundgren,etc. One of the most disappointing things in my opinion, was the fact that Arnold and Bruce were on the screen only to do a cameo appearance. A very funny cameo appearance, but still a cameo appearance. I thought Arnold and Bruce would be kicking asses with everybody, but in fact the movie centers around Stallone, Lundgren, and Statham's characters practically.

There are some cool explosions and some nice fighting scenes, for sure, but the plot is weak and cliché, and no matter how many bombs they can explode, an ordinary plot doesn't make a movie something incredible.

To make a small summary of what I am talking about: The movie is worthwhile because of the reunion of great legends of the action movies, but are better action films out there for sure. I would say for people to watch this movie, but with few expectations.

enjoy destroying brain cells then by all means watch this movie

Author: elizebeth-playstation from england
24 August 2010

as a big fan of jet Li and Jason stat ham this disastrous movie was a huge let down for me like most people i fell for all the promises and the hype that the expendables was promising with it's flashy trailers and big macho star names but i was under the impression that after buying the ticket and the popcorn i could sit back and enjoy this movie but reality just gave me a big kick in between the legs the acting was as interesting as golf and all the characters were completely one sided the whole movie was clearly being carried on the shoulders of Jason and sly even when Bruce Willis and Arnold came on the scene the lines were vulgar and not at all funny and not one chuckle from the one-liners this movie lacked any and all comedy if it wasn't for what little action sly and Jason provided the movie would of been a total flop as painful to watch as pouring acid in your eyes

having said all that the movie wasn't all bad just as long as you skip the first 32 minutes and get right to the action

the ending also made no real sense to me spoilers alert if you didn't notice the first one anyways the ending there all sitting at the tattoo parlor having a laugh while Jason says his little poem and then i notice there's that bloody gunner sitting there laughing with them and I'm thinking to myself what the HELL wasn't he trying to murder and impale ying on more then one occasion and would of been successful if not for barney he was even trying to kill barney why the hell are they suddenly all happy chap friends again when gunners clearly a psycho

well I'm probably boring the hell out of you with this boring review just remember if you value those brain cells then avoid this movie like the plague we need movies that keep our intelligence alive not movies that butcher up the mind with stiff acting and pointless plot lines the trailers will tell you that the expendables is a roller-coaster thrill ride that will get your adrenaline pumping but the reality is quite the opposite don't be a fool like me don't believe the hype......and most importantly... if you've already bought the cinema ticket buy a small soda forget the large cause you'll most likely walk out during the movie perhaps to pursue more interesting things like watching grass grow

oh and anyone who disagrees with this review well i apologize in advance fell free to share your opinions of my review with me i could always use a laugh....

The Biggest Disappointment Of The Year

Author: joksimkv from Serbia
19 August 2010

I remember the time when I first saw the announcement for this movie. Great crew, the best there is, what could possibly go wrong? The expectations were very high, but this turns out to be just another cheap "America saves the day" pattern.

Now, where should I start? Crew: Bunch of old men who wants to look younger at any price. Stallone, Schwarzenegger, Lundgren, Roberts, Rourke... They should simply go to history and remain what they presently are- the stars that we were growing up with instead making fun of themselves trying to pump some muscles at the age of 60+. They look ridiculous and I am being gentle in my criticism.

The special effects are awful. I do no know the budget limit that this movie had, but that stupid scenes when Stallone jumps into moving plane (!?) or Statham shoots from the same plane at the docs, they look like they were filmed 20-30 years ago.

The storyline is awful. Schwarzenegger has one minute roll, practically as some stunt, but I guess they needed his name for the commercial. Brus Willis as well- he is there to hire them and not a single word from him to the end of the movie. Lundgren is a psychopath who tries to kill them all and, at the end, he is a good guy and they are drinking beer all together. And Stallone is going to attack whole sovereign state all by himself because he wants to save one girl and redempt his soul that way?! Come on! I am sick and tired of the same old pattern where Americans are good guys and I am bored by their disrespect for the Eastern- Europe ex socialistic block and South America countries. For example, Rourke calls Serbian national drink sh** even it is a hundred times better and healthier than whiskey (In one interview from 04.05.2008. Rourke called himself a Serb and promised to visit Serbia!?). And if the CIA wasn't interfere in Bosnia, there wouldn't be any war in the first place.

This is where the problem is- the big movie stars are used to spread American propaganda over the world through shallow and insulting (for the ones intelligence) movies like this.

I am truly sorry about is the fact that Lee and Statham decided to take part in the most stupid project of the decade.

Justified killing in the name of America, one gun vs hundred automatic rifles, botox faces, awful scenario, poor lines, bad acting. Don't be fooled with rating- this grade is not proper measure of the movie quality. My advice: look at this movie and see for yourself how ridiculous, shallow, insulting and empty it really is.