IMDb > The Last Exorcism (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Exorcism

The Last Exorcism More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 31: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

For horror movie freak; very sad to see...

Author: nexus-37 from Finland
14 January 2013

This is one of those movies that I wouldn't wanna have seen.

Movie begins actually pretty nicely, going forward to different style and unique stuff. Hard to tell this way so I'll try another one...

Good acting, script was mostly poor but fitted in to a movie, horrible shooting even if it was supposed to be, one 8y old could do better easily with mediocre cam...

Mostly credits for the acting part, some nice surroundings, the effect of this whole idea was kinda unique...

Then those minuses. This didn't feel like horror movie at all, this didn't keep me very interested in the story they crawled like some blair witch project style, there weren't any effort in real plot, this was just one "put them all together" -movie.

But really, if interested watching from directors point of view, it makes this interesting.

And too long wasted time so they could make enough minutes for a long movie. But maybe with better equipment and so this would have been totally different.

Conclusion: not total crap.

5/10 mostly for the effort to create this long movie with this kinda material.

Decent entertainment.

Author: Scott LeBrun (Hey_Sweden) from Canada
11 November 2011

"The Last Exorcism" seems to be one of those movies that either works for you or it doesn't. Personally, I found it to be a reasonably engrossing addition to the fiction-as-documentary sub genre. A documentary crew follows the activities of a preacher named Cotton Marcus (Patrick Fabian), who over the years has put on a big act for some people, "exorcising" them when they believed themselves to be possessed, almost like he were giving them placebos if they believed themselves to be ill. Now this crew is watching as he attends to a rural family with a troubled girl, intending for this to be his final exorcism. But as things progress the startled witnesses realize things are definitely not as they seem. All of this is played admirably straight, and the fact that this movie hinges largely on story and acting for a while is rather refreshing. The ultimate reveal / ending is, unfortunately, rather disappointing as the movie falls back on the kind of thing that's already been done time and again in the genre over the years. It's when the filmmakers keep sowing the seeds of doubt, and trying to present rational explanations for what is happening, that I feel the movie works the best. Now, there may very well not be enough true "horror" and violence for some tastes, but other viewers may be intrigued that "The Last Exorcism" offers a decent twist on exorcism themed horror and "The Blair Witch Project" / "Cloverfield" type fare, and the fact that it's often as restrained as it is makes the gory business as effective as it is when it does occur. The acting is actually quite convincing, even though one could take issue with some characters that do come off as stereotypes. One thing the filmmakers really got right was their casting of Fabian in the lead, as he possesses an undeniable charisma, as well as good enough acting chops for the more serious scenes that indicate that he could have a good career ahead of him. Cotton is a man who will more than once come to question just what he believes; while the idea of a person suffering a crisis of faith is far from new, it's put to reasonably good use here. A good, honourable effort overall. Seven out of 10.

Please be The Last Exorcism

Author: Siobhan Miller from United Kingdom
23 October 2011

So it all started with The Exorcist, followed by a number of sequels, then came The Last Exorcism of Emily Rose and now The Last Exorcism. A film which had so much potential, but in the end the ideas behind the film did not prevail.

The story centres around Cotton Marcus a minister who performs fake exorcisms for money. Raised by his Reverend Father, he has been doing this since he was a child, but has come to question his faith. After reading how a child died during a recent exorcism, Cotton decides to have a film crew document his final exorcism in an attempt to prove that exorcisms are just a hoax. So the film journeys to Louisiana, where cotton performs a 'fake' exorcism on teenager Nell. However, things don't go according to plan.

The only word i can find to describe this movie overall, is anti-climatic. It uses suspense to build up to a heightened moment, which in the end does not follow through. A couple of jumpy moments perhaps, but not enough to live up to a classic horror film. And as for the ending, i could'nt help but make the comparison to Rosemary's Baby.

The story, although original was not fully developed, and did not receive the treatment it truly deserved. Maybe in another directors hands it may have been more of a success, but i am sincerely disheartened that Eli Roth (normally a genius of horror) was the producer behind The Last Exorcism. I normally enjoy the documentary style filming, and it has proved to be highly effective for the horror genre previously, but Daniel the cameraman has too shaky of a hand for this style to work well.

The only positive thing i can say about this movie is that the majority of actors pulled off great individual performances, considering what they were given to work with.

The advertising for The Last Exorcism made it look like it was going to be an old school horror, and in reality what you have is another disappointing modern horror film. In fact the advert showed the only interesting scenes from the movie, so you would be better off watching that than wasting 87 minutes of your life, on what can only be described as another modern horror failure.

If you liked the Blair Witch Project you'll probably love this

Author: Jer-Man from United States
12 January 2011

If this film had been made in the 1960s, it would have been considered terrifying. If the 2010 version had a decent script and a better director, if might have come close that that same mark. As it is, it's just one more unfortunate pass at the Blair Witch/Cloverfield genre and if fails to provoke any real chills or even thrills for the same reason it's predecessors failed. The documentary style, which tries to make the film more realistic, actually makes it seem less real and more stilted - like a school project.

This mockumentary style of film making is likely gaining popularity because it's inexpensive and doesn't seem to require a well honed script. Unfortunately there's never going to be a substitute for a good story and interesting characters. The most interesting character in this story is the brother Caleb, who makes a brief appearance in the first act, and a much shorter one in the third.

Yes, some people will love it. 15 year old girls will scream. But any regular fan of the horror genre is going to walk away disappointed.

It was only profitable for producers

Author: Luis Cuevas from Venezuela
10 January 2011

It was only profitable for producers who invested 2 million and have already collected about 40 million estimated. The only affected were those of the cinema audience. The movie has no special effects some, only used the ability of actors to create fear in the audience who sees it. If they had continued with the talent of the players until the end, perhaps until the film has been nominated for an award, but the production turned to some poor special effects right in the last minute of film. it was an error to predict the fate of the characters with something as simple as a drawing of a child with problems. Lacking much props and details in indoor scenarios. We need more and better audio cinematography. Lacking more sound effects. Lacking imagination. The casting was not too bad. But the image of the assistant priest at the end, was not consistent with the sympathy which she transmitted to the screen. Again good business for producers.

wow!

Author: littlet1313 from United States
19 June 2011

I feel bad rating this so low but, in my humble opinion, it is deserving of it. I seriously just wasted 87 minutes of my life watching this. I am not a movie snob either- I am very open minded to movies. I can enjoy almost any movie, especially anything creepy. This was just an absolute turd. So bad, that I just had to write this review. UGH! I've never written one in my life and I've seen a A LOT of movies. Everyone has their own opinion though. You might like it. A friend actually suggested this movie to me. I am questioning our friendship now. HA! kidding. Anyway, I feel really bad for people who paid big bucks to watch this in the theatre. Luckily, I only spent a buck through a vending machine.

The last time i watch anything by this lousy director.

Author: valleyjohn from United Kingdom
17 May 2011

The Last Exorcism is a movie about a religious preacher who cons vulnerably families into believing that he can exorcise demons from people who believe they are possessed but the ironic thing is that the only people being conned in this film is the person who decided to watch this trash!

If you watch the trailer or look at the movie poster you are lead to believe that this is a really scary horror movie that includes horrific scary affects but if your as stupid as me and you fall for it you couldn't be more wrong.

This is 80 minutes of my life that will never get back and the blame fall clearly on director Daniel Stamm. This film can be best described as bore , snore fest . You put up with the lack of anything happening simply because you expect a scary climax but what you actually get is one of the biggest kop outs i have ever seen in an ending to a film. It's as if the director ran out of film and left it at that. The ending is shocking - Shockingly bad. What was the director thinking? Was he in a hurry to go on holiday? Who cares ? All i can say is don't waste your time with this twaddle.

It's not scary at all

Author: nico-diaz-aragon from Bogota, Colombia
21 March 2011

The movie strikes me at first as a bad mesh up of older horror movies. It tries to evoke a documentary much like it's done in the ¨the blair witch project¨but it isn't well done so you don't ever get that feeling that the events on footage are real. It's a shame.

The main subject on the movie is a demonic possession, yet it is not exploited to impel psychological or mythological fear throughout the story line. This is also a shame, since this kind of terror is just what the audience might be expecting.

Last, but not least, there are no special effects besides makeup and costumes.

It was dreadful.

More of the "camera guy following you"

Author: rockdalecop from United States
11 January 2011

I am so tired of the movies with the dude following the people with a video camera. Enough already. Cannibal Holocaust was the mother of these... Then came Blair Witch. And then every time you turn around, the same crap. What the hell is the deal with this movie? First you think its just the Preacher being a quack, then the molesting sibling then some devil worship crap? Im sorry but the people behind this movie could've done a far better job. Im just so glad I didn't buy this crap and opted to rent it is not even funny. The Exorcism of Emily Rose, the Exorcist movies (yes even Renny Harlin's) are far better remaining true to the possession thing as opposed to some, well you figure it out.

Yet another Blair Witch "Follower"

Author: johnhillery from United States
8 January 2011

Growing up I was told to be a "Leader" and not a "Follower". To bad people making movies don't live by this. I am so tired of seeing people mimic another movie instead of making an original one.

Blair Witch made money NOT because it was good but because is was different. We never saw a "Suppose to be real, cam recorder" movie".

After Blair Witch's hit at the box office everyone got on the band wagon and decided to be a "Follower".

Not only is this movie bad because the decided to be a "follower", the directing of the movie is to.

ANY movie filmed with a hand held and acting like it is real will always get the lowest rating from me.

This movie might have had a chance to be good, if someone with talent actually made a REAL movie and not this Blair Witch wanna be...