IMDb > The Last Exorcism (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Exorcism

The Last Exorcism More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 31: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Works Pretty Well Up to the End

Author: evanston_dad from United States
22 February 2011

This horror film is surprisingly tame for something with Eli Roth's name attached to it (he produced it), but these days that's a compliment. Eschewing the grisly emphasis on bodily dismemberment that has pretty much come to define the new breed of creatively constipated horror directors, "The Last Exorcism" opts instead for some clever storytelling and a building sense of creepy dread. It mostly succeeds, except for a lame ending, and because of that I had almost the exact same experience watching this as I did "Paranormal Activity" last year.

All told, I think "The Last Exorcism" is the better movie. Full of actors I'd never seen before giving very good performances, it's a fake documentary about an evangelical minister who brings a camera crew with him to film an exorcism, in the hopes of exposing the business as one big fraud. What to do, then, when this man who rolls his eyes at the thought of demonic possession begins to suspect that he might be facing the real thing?

Much of the movie leaves the question as to the girl's actual possession ambiguous -- are her demons of the supernatural variety or are they the product of a severely dysfunctional home? Since I think problems of the mind are always scarier than the oogie boogies we can see and touch (after all, mental problems are much more real and much harder to deal with), the movie is most frightening in its middle sections, before secrets are revealed and plot points click into place. The ending, a mish-mash of "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Blair Witch Project," feels like what it is: a hard sell ending to a horror movie that would have been better to end with a shiver and a shudder rather than a shriek and a howl.

Grade: B

Last Exorcism-- it worked for me

Author: Matt Switzer from United States
14 October 2010

If you've seen this film, you have an opinion on it. And this is natural given the open ended finale of the movie. For those who haven't seen the movie--don't worry--I don't plan on ruining it by saying anything in this review that you wouldn't know by seeing the preview or anything that would detract from your viewing experience? at least I'll try not to.

The highlight of the movie for me was Pastor Cotton Marcus (Patrick Fabian). He succeeded in weaving together a layered, complex character which is rare for the horror genre. He plays a southern Baptist minister who grew up in the church. As a PK, he was bred to be on the pulpit. One would think that with a lifetime spent in the church, his faith would be devout--quite the opposite. As years have passed, his faith has weakened to a point where now even he doubts.

Another huge plus for me in this film are the ups and downs--one minute your knees are at your chest and you're on the verge of covering your eyes, and the next you're lost in the development of the plot.

No matter what your thoughts on the end of the movie, I challenge someone to dispute the merits of a scary movie to put more emphasis on character development to further the suspense than the typically cheap thrills.

What the............

Author: scrumpot666 from United States
28 August 2010

The commercials said I would be scared. They said this was the scariest movie I would ever see...........I wanted to be scared silly.......I wasn't. This movie was not scary. It was silly. Things started out just fine. But there wasn't any "real" demon possession. Just "wanna be" evil. If you loved the Exorcist you will hate The Last Exorcism. The movie ended 45 minutes ago and I am still scratching my head trying to figure out why it ended the way it did. Did they run out of ideas? Were they pressed for time? Did the actors and crew have something else they needed to do? Did they know they were going to end up with a stupid movie? Don't waste your time or your money. Go to the rental place and get Paranormal Activitiy and watch it again.

Stop with the handi-cam and "found" videotape!

Author: eebmtl from Montreal
4 August 2010

First I would like to say that at least two of the reviews to date are shills.

The film starts out promisingly enough, character development is strong for our protagonist and when we arrive in the deep south the slow build of suspense is palatable, so far I'm a happy camper! The introduction of the possessed girl continues the intrigue, what am I complaining about!? But then it's all downhill, cliché after cliché, culminating in the big finale that seems very much tacked on, like they didn't have and ending and re-writer #17 came up with this dung.

Then the last guy to go is the cameraman and we get to view the found tapes!!!! I'm sick of it.

The only time I saw this work was for 84 Charlie Mopic, yes I thought, Blair Witch, Cloverfield et al stunk.

It was a joke at our screening listening to the representatives of Alliance telling us to enhance our reactions for the infrared cameras "because we might get in the commercial", oh WOW just like Paranormal Activity, another turd! This entire genre is way past it's shelf life, all that's going on is studios following another "template of past success" and putting out inferior films to keep the bandwagon going.

Hollywood came make truly great films but mostly puts out crap like this that with proper promotion insures box office boffo.

Goodbye!

Worst acting, writing ... don't waste your time!

Author: kaynefred from United States
29 August 2010

that film is a blatant marketing propaganda, all but unwatchable for its poor imaginative story, bad acting and no horror!! The worst... the jerky cameras! And the acting, amateur at best.

This movie offers nothing new and original to the genre and will leave you feeling so empty.

Too bad because I was so excited to see it!

The worst thing for me was the perpetual motion of the hand-held camera. It made me feel so dizzy. I had a headache.

I'd rather watch the Blair Witch which had more scares! Save yourself this waste of celluloid.

This was a yawn fest.

What did I just watch?

Author: Andy Van Scoyoc (murgaine@yahoo.com) from Tampa, Florida USA
29 May 2017

I had such high hopes for this movie...and no...I wasn't expecting horror; at all.

What I was expecting, was something grand...and what I got was disdainfully disappointing.

The movie started out, bland, but good and I was thinking, okay...this charlatan is going to pull one too many frauds and get what's coming to him. He'll get a real possessed person, the demons will give him more than he bargained for, and I'll laugh, hysterically, because TV evangelists and fake preachers just out for money (which is far too many) are depraved.

What I got was a fairly decent movie, with a ridiculous ending.

I went from being hopeful at some scum getting his butt supernaturally kicked...to a bunch of people, lead by some old coot, playing dress up.

Robes? Really? If I came upon a scene like that, first thing I'd do is make sure it's not Halloween, second, make sure it's not a movie set and...finally...if both of those scenarios weren't the case, I'd laugh... hysterically.

Robes and all that junk are nothing but pomp and show, and no one serious, is going to play dress up dressed like Merlin and his magical court.

Waste...waste...waste...

Courageous and a bit cynical, it's intense and has some quality.

Author: Filipe Neto from Portugal
15 February 2017

In this film, an evangelical pastor performs his last exorcism, after a lifetime of lies in which he made false exorcisms and cures to make money. What Cotton Marcus did not expect is that his last exorcism was, in fact, the only one who would face a real evil that he did not even believe in. From the beginning, the film makes clear that we are seeing a mockumentary, unfinished and with false image editing in the style of "found footage" movies so, when you see the camera shaking this is purposeful. The film also makes great criticisms of evangelical churches, having the courage to say something we all know but rarely can we say out loud: many churches (not just evangelicals) exist only because of the money, transforming themselves into industries of fraud and extortion who treat God as if He were a lawyer or doctor with an office, where He only attends on prepayment. On the other hand, many people with psychological problems or health disorders believe they are possessed or threatened by demons without this really being their problem. Based on these premises, the film shows how a false exorcist deals with a case of true possession, for which he is not minimally prepared because of his lack of faith and opportunism. Although the film is slow at first, this delay is necessary to explain the whole context of what is going to happen next, and for the audience to be stuck with the two central characters. The exorcism was intense and realistic, much closer to a true exorcism than most horror films that approached the subject. The open ending is purposeful, adapting to the film's style and leaving room for the sequel that was made, years later. However, it can leave many people disappointed because it's not very plausible in the way it ends. Patrick Fabian did very well in the role of Pastor Marcus, being perfectly capable of showing his inner conflict, his doubts and his utter unpreparedness to deal with Nell, the possessed young woman, played by Ashley Bell. Young but promising, she was both loving and adorable and perfectly terrifying, when possessed. In short, this is not a perfect movie and is far from having an exceptional quality, but it was a good effort, has merit and courage. It's worth watching.

Solid Effort

Author: kevandeb from UK
15 February 2017

Firstly, I am a bit sick and tired of reviewers giving 1's and 10's without considering the movie they are reviewing. It is like giving guns to monkeys. It seems sometimes that some reviewers forget there are eight other numbers they can use. Horror is the genre where a lot of dross exists and there is a lot of bad horror films. This is not one of them. It is fairly well acted, the story is pretty good and the docu-style camera work gives it an authentic feel. The lead playing the reverend plays a good role with a good dose of cynicism and is ably supported by the film crew. Whilst it is not ground breaking nor edge of the seat scary, it is a good story, which in horror films is a rare thing.

Good first half, lacklustre second half

Author: grantss from Sydney, Australia
12 August 2016

A film crew are documenting the life of Reverand Cotton Marcus, a preacher in Louisiana whose specialty is exorcisms. One day they accompany him on an exorcism and things don't all go according to plan...

So-so movie. Was original and interesting for the first half, then drifted a bit, and then had a tangential and quick ending. The suspense that was built up wonderfully in the first half is all given up in the second half. In short, the pacing was off.

Pretty scary though, and thus better than your average supernatural- horror movie.

Performances are fairly solid, especially as none of the actors are well-known.

.5.6 but it is not scary at all.

Author: jacobjohntaylor1 from Barry's bay Ontario Canada
10 March 2016

This movie so not scary. 5.6 is just overrating it. This movie has a very bad story line. The ending is is just awful. It is supposed to scary. But is not. It is just cheesy and overrated. It the story of a single father who has daughter that possessed by a demon. So he hires an exorcist to get ride of it. Oops it turns out he a fake. It hate this movie. I do not no why people are scared of it. It could not scary an eight year old. It so not scary. It has got to be one of the worst horror movies ever. Come to think of it the sequel is worst. But still before The last exorcism par II came out this was the worst horror movie ever.