IMDb > The Last Exorcism (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Exorcism

The Last Exorcism More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 31: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

3 steps to ruining your horror movie

Author: puttputtk from United States
1 September 2010

The Last Exorcism (2010)

5 word summary

Camera crew follows skeptical exorcist

How do you take a creepy story and a filmmaking style that adds creepy realism and turn it into an hour and a half of boring? That's easy, bad writing, bad acting and bad music.

As with most horror films the build up seems to take to long. The film starts talking to a preacher (Cotton) and his family about how he use to be a exorcist and thinks its all fake and is going to make a documentary to show that it's a scam. In the style of Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch Project, The Last Exorcist is a fake documentary and therefore had a realistic and creepy feel to it, or at least it should have. Not sure why they went with a camera that takes 2 minutes to get into focus.)

The acting and writing right away ruins the movie. As the story continues and we follow Cotton into deep Louisiana to find his client, I already started to not care what happens. As I watched it I couldn't help but think, "Who talks like this?" it wasn't normal bad horror movie conversation, it was below average. It was two of the worst things that can happen together (bad acting and bad writing) because if it was a good actor saying bad lines sometimes they can pull it off, or if its good dialog and bad actors sometimes you can not notice. However, when you team these up it gets painful.

My third problem with the film is the music. If you decide to make a movie as a documentary, trying to make it realistic, KEEP THE MUSIC OUT OF IT! The lack of music is usually way more creepy than overdone "spooky" music that has been used by every ghost TV show and every horror movie ever. When you finally get to the "scary" parts that the trailers show you get excited, "alright the movie has been bad, but maybe it will be scary and save itself." Nope. Doesn't happen. Though they had scenes that should have been awesome and made you wide eyed and ready to freak, that music comes in to ruin it. What you're left with is a one cheap jump and no nightmares.

I will say with all the bad stuff aside, the film did have some things I liked, though few. They did a good job making some creepy scenes, though they were ruined. When we first see her sitting in the motel room, when we see her bending weird, that quick smile as the door closes and her sitting on top of the furniture in her room. All of these scenes were well crafted and would have stayed in my thoughts, but ruined due to acting, writing, and music.

I cant help but notice the trailers resemblance to Exorcism of Emily Rose. Both showed the "scary" scenes and made you think the movie was about a possessed girl, (like the exorcist) however both times the trailers showed all the time the girl was acting weird. They leave out the other hour and twenty minutes that had nothing. Well, good for them, they tricked me and got my money

Now, to that ending.

****SPOILERS****

I've heard that many people are upset with the abrupt ending, but that's the least of the ending problems. Honestly, at this point I cant wait for the ending. First off, as I'm sure many people noticed, the Rosemary's Baby ending. I don't really have a problem if during a movie you reference or pay homage to classic horror films, but you don't take that movies twist ending and use it for your ending, especially not twice. Taking the Rosemary's Baby ending and strapping it to The Blair Witch Project ending made that abrupt ending a godsend. I felt like yelling at the film to stop when I saw the baby being born and all the townsfolk being a cult. Then what do I see? The camera man running through the woods. I kept waiting for him to stop and look into the camera and say, "I'm so scared." (also, If your getting attacked by a cult would you really run away with the camera? Especially with the camera on your shoulder? I don't think so.) Then the brother shows up, cuts the cameraman's head off, the end. (Fart noise)

****End Spoilers****

I really wish this story would have gotten into somebody else's hands, because it had potential

Wouldn't recommend this film to anyone. Obviously some people like it but don't take that chance. Because most likely you will leave disappointed.

Wake up Hollywood

Author: cinematic22 from United States
31 August 2010

I'm sorry to say, but this film truly is a huge slap in the face to film fans and horror fanatics out there. Who the hell keeps giving Roth money to make these terrible films? This movie is god-awful. Just a massive spin off of Emily Rose, The Blair Witch, and Paranormal Activity. Even "The Exorcist" has far better suspense and horror. This is boring, not scary, and complete waste of time. Not worth anyone's money. Save yourself from sitting through a few hours of pointless dreadful film making at its best. I went in expecting to be thrilled and terrified, came out thinking was is the nearest toilet so I may vomit. These no budget thrillers leave the audience empty every single time. People actually "boo-ed" at the end credits. Teach Hollywood a lesson, don't encourage them to keep making these and save your money.

Much less than expected

Author: kriskoppy1961 from United States
10 September 2010

I watched this last night and found it to be disappointing. I was expecting some good special effects and encounters similar to the Exorcist. None of that takes place in this film. The premise and plot are original and could have resulted in a good film; that is not the case. There are no anxious moments, no terror, no seat grabbing moments. It's almost like a pretend documentary. The title alone offers much more than the film produces. I did like the original delivery of the plot and new faces that I have never seen before. Other than that, there isn't much to see. The film barely stays alive and ultimately flatlines in the end. I would avoid this disappointment.

Disappointment

Author: NickMcIntyre from Scotland
3 September 2010

Who ever said this was the 'scariest film of the year' did not go and see the same film I did. What a disappointment and If I hadn't used an unlimited card to go and see it I would have asked for a refund.

There is so much more they could have done with the film to make it more interesting and scary. It was that bad that around 12-15 people walked out of the cinema and there were more laughs than screams.

I would say do not waste your money on going to see it, its over hyped and its marketing has been very misleading, including the cardboard cut out placed in the cinema which contains a 'scary' image of the girl that does not appear in the film

Absolutely terrible.

Author: melissa-mary from United States
28 August 2010

I went to this movie hoping for a great horror film, and ended up leaving incredibly disappointed. There is really nothing about an exorcism. The reverend Cotton Marcus never even performs a true exorcism, he's a fraud trying to prove there are no such things as demon possessions. He just watches this girl be possessed by a demon, and doesn't do anything. It ends up being that the whole town is a cult and uses the girl and yada yada. The Reverend and the two camera people end up getting killed, and you find this out within the first 15 minutes because the girl draws pictures or her next victims and bam it's exactly what happens. Such a disappointment. This movie is worse than the Blair Witch Project, at least there you have a some scare factor, this was just a horrible plot line with nothing horror about it. Save your money, it's not worth seeing.

Possibly the Worst horror flick ever?

Author: g-smart966 from United States
21 August 2010

I usually like low-budget horror movies. I really wanted to like this, but it SUCKS. The whole production is amateurish. It's all done hand-held and very shaky. You are supposed to believe this whole thing was found-footage. The audience I saw it with were laughing more than being scared. That's because it's very hard to take the movie seriously. The priest (Cotton) is not the worst actor but the way he's filmed destroys any credibility the movie could have had. The last ten or fifteen minutes were so bad I could not believe they released it that way. Oh well. I was hoping to get scared but I was just either bored, or laughing at how bad it was. It's too bad because it had potential to be scary but it just blew it. It's just way too amateurish and long.

What happened to horror movies??

Author: skaterfreak809 from United States
29 August 2010

What's happened to horror movies these days?

"The Last Exorcism" should be exactly as the title predicts, the LAST of its kind.

The movie follows a preacher, Cotton, and his small film crew as they try to document him performing an exorcism on a young girl thought to be possessed by a demon. You learn quickly of Cotton's dying faith and that his performed "exorcisms" are no more than scams he puts on so that his family can pay the bills. However, Cotton may have taken on more than he bargained for as he reluctantly learns there may be more to this scenario than meets the eye...

So when I first sat down for this movie, I initially thought it was only me and my group of friends who had a hard time connecting with what was being displayed in front of us. Yes, there were a few moments of panic in the theater, a few quick jumps and screams made by all, but in the end the most common noise heard was laughter... well, laughter and outrage. EVERYONE seemed to be making jokes about this movie. The people behind us, in front of us, next to us... it seemed no one was able to really find any connection with any of the characters or what was going on in the film at all. It was for the most part predictable, to the point where half way through the movie they pretty much just tell you exactly how it will end.

And so with the end enters the outrage. Never before have I gone to a movie that ends with literally the entire theater crying out in anger at what they had just witnessed. It was almost as the people making the movie just gave up, giving the audience anything but a thought provoking ending and instead just giving everyone an abrupt smack in the face. They give you no time to let what you are seeing sink in, and you leave the theater so disappointed that you don't even care to fill in the holes. Even making the connections now, I find myself more disappointed than anything that I had to sit through such a film.

I give the movie 2/10. It would have gotten 1/10 except as I mentioned, it did deliver I guess what you could call a few minor scares. Overall it was pretty bad... if you have any plans of seeing this movie, you may want to reconsider you options.

Refreshing and enjoyable!

Author: mathijsschaap from Netherlands
24 January 2016

Filmed in a way as if this is a documentary containing 'archive material' this movie was something you don't see everyday! That was a nice surprise and especially refreshing within the subject of supernatural movies about possession etc. Actors seem to move and act quite naturally and a fun fact is that most actors have the same First name as in real life. The effects are believable.

The ending was quite the same as in 'Wake Wood' which was a bit of a letdown and the ending seems to have been rushed to completion, but I'm very fond of this movie nevertheless!

I recommend this movie very much. Eli Roth was involved and it seems that Mr. Roth is becoming quite a name within the horror genre :-)

It's OK

Author: edgarasstasaitis from Vilnius, Lithuania
9 August 2015

If you ARE a fan of exorcism movies and movies like the Blair Witch Project or even horror movies in general, The Last Exorcism is a good watch to satisfy your boredom and keep you entertained for an hour and a half, especially if you understand and like the construct of "sluggish build up" and if you have a few extra bucks that you're looking to spend.If your looking for a horror movie that will revive the horror genre for our time, this isn't it. But the film isn't trying to be the next big name in horror, so my rating is based off of the intentions of the film itself. Overall, the movie did it's job in being mildly original, having great acting (considering that this is in fact a lower-budget horror movie), in staying true to the genre, and in delivering an engaging story.

Not A Bad Addition To The Lost Footage Found Genre

Author: David Arnold from United States
18 January 2015

In Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the evangelical Reverend Cotton Marcus was raised by his father to be a preacher. He agrees to the participation to make a documentary about his life and it's here Cotton tells the story about how he questions his faith after what happened to his wife and also explains that exorcisms are a fraud. Seeing a chance to prove to the documentary team what he means, Cotton reads a letter that has been sent by a farmer from Ivanwood asking him to perform an exorcism on his daughter, Nell. When in Ivanwood, it's here Cotton reveals the different tricks used when performing exorcisms. He performs the "exorcism" on Nell, and everything seems fine at first, but before long Nell shows signs of the same behaviour she had before. Soon, Cotton starts to believe that what Nell is exhibiting may be real after all.

The Last Exorcism is another addition to the "mockumentary" and "lost footage found" genres, and while it's not a new genre, it's actually not too bad. The actors do a good job in convincing the audience that they are "ordinary" people as well and it definitely has the documentary feel about it. Ashley Bell does a good job of playing Nell, and what's even more impressive is that all the contortions she does in the movie are real with no additional visual effects.

There are a few good jumps and eerie moments in the movie, most of them coming in the last 15-20 minutes, but the freakiest parts of the movie is definitely when Nell shows signs of being possessed. The pace of the movie isn't too bad overall, but it does stop/start a bit too much and the ending isn't really the best as I think it gets a bit ridiculous. If the ending was better, then The Last Exorcism could very well have been a much better movie.

Not too bad, but there are definitely much better movies of this genre out there.