The Last Exorcism (2010) Poster

I'm pretty critical with "horror" films....this really wasn't so bad.
djnieme19 August 2017
Wow, lots of negative reviews, but as critical as I can be, I really found this film kind of compelling and scary. Crazy, weird scary....information and details that you don't expect. I didn't really think the acting would be all that good at first...but it's all pretty masterful by most of the cast ...the ending is pretty realistic as well in a brutally scary way.

I can become persuaded by negative reviews but I couldn't sleep and had to finish watching this on Epix. Overall, I'd say it's worth watching! The physical acting (as demonic) is pretty compelling too. Now I need go to sleep with the TV on. I guess the nay sayers really wanted more 'blood, guts, screams" but this production didn't need it. The ending was a little predictable tbh.
What did I just watch?
Andy Van Scoyoc29 May 2017
I had such high hopes for this movie...and no...I wasn't expecting horror; at all.

What I was expecting, was something grand...and what I got was disdainfully disappointing.

The movie started out, bland, but good and I was thinking, okay...this charlatan is going to pull one too many frauds and get what's coming to him. He'll get a real possessed person, the demons will give him more than he bargained for, and I'll laugh, hysterically, because TV evangelists and fake preachers just out for money (which is far too many) are depraved.

What I got was a fairly decent movie, with a ridiculous ending.

I went from being hopeful at some scum getting his butt supernaturally kicked...to a bunch of people, lead by some old coot, playing dress up.

Robes? Really? If I came upon a scene like that, first thing I'd do is make sure it's not Halloween, second, make sure it's not a movie set and...finally...if both of those scenarios weren't the case, I'd laugh... hysterically.

Robes and all that junk are nothing but pomp and show, and no one serious, is going to play dress up dressed like Merlin and his magical court.

Waste...waste...waste...
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Courageous and a bit cynical, it's intense and has some quality.
Filipe Neto15 February 2017
In this film, an evangelical pastor performs his last exorcism, after a lifetime of lies in which he made false exorcisms and cures to make money. What Cotton Marcus did not expect is that his last exorcism was, in fact, the only one who would face a real evil that he did not even believe in. From the beginning, the film makes clear that we are seeing a mockumentary, unfinished and with false image editing in the style of "found footage" movies so, when you see the camera shaking this is purposeful. The film also makes great criticisms of evangelical churches, having the courage to say something we all know but rarely can we say out loud: many churches (not just evangelicals) exist only because of the money, transforming themselves into industries of fraud and extortion who treat God as if He were a lawyer or doctor with an office, where He only attends on prepayment. On the other hand, many people with psychological problems or health disorders believe they are possessed or threatened by demons without this really being their problem. Based on these premises, the film shows how a false exorcist deals with a case of true possession, for which he is not minimally prepared because of his lack of faith and opportunism. Although the film is slow at first, this delay is necessary to explain the whole context of what is going to happen next, and for the audience to be stuck with the two central characters. The exorcism was intense and realistic, much closer to a true exorcism than most horror films that approached the subject. The open ending is purposeful, adapting to the film's style and leaving room for the sequel that was made, years later. However, it can leave many people disappointed because it's not very plausible in the way it ends. Patrick Fabian did very well in the role of Pastor Marcus, being perfectly capable of showing his inner conflict, his doubts and his utter unpreparedness to deal with Nell, the possessed young woman, played by Ashley Bell. Young but promising, she was both loving and adorable and perfectly terrifying, when possessed. In short, this is not a perfect movie and is far from having an exceptional quality, but it was a good effort, has merit and courage. It's worth watching.
Solid Effort
kevandeb15 February 2017
Firstly, I am a bit sick and tired of reviewers giving 1's and 10's without considering the movie they are reviewing. It is like giving guns to monkeys. It seems sometimes that some reviewers forget there are eight other numbers they can use. Horror is the genre where a lot of dross exists and there is a lot of bad horror films. This is not one of them. It is fairly well acted, the story is pretty good and the docu-style camera work gives it an authentic feel. The lead playing the reverend plays a good role with a good dose of cynicism and is ably supported by the film crew. Whilst it is not ground breaking nor edge of the seat scary, it is a good story, which in horror films is a rare thing.
Needed to Summon Up Better Ending
thefinalcredits31 August 2016
'You know, I used to want to have a TV ministry. I thought that'd be cool. And now, frankly, all I really want is health insurance'

This mockumentary low-budget horror film sustains interest for the first two-thirds. This style suited German-born director, Daniel Stamm, who had landed the project after creating a resounding hit around the festival circuit with another faux documentary. The feature's originality within the genre of 'found footage' horror lies in the fact that, for most of the film - and therein lies one flaw in the production's finale - the recording is not accidentally and improbably shot, as the pursued tries to escape, but done so with a clear purpose. This centres on Reverend Marcus Cotton's use of a documentary team to reveal to the wider world the unqualified duplicity of exorcisms, after his own faith has been shaken to the core. A rare venture into celluloid for this journeyman TV regular, Patrick Fabian was a worthy recipient of the Best Actor award at the Sitges Festival. His portrayal of the disillusioned and gregarious pastor, at odds with his upbringing as the miracle faith-healing son of an evangelist preacher, is captivating. Fabian has the charm and charisma to evince the showmanship of his character in carrying his flock where he wants to take them - accordingly the 'banana bread' scene resulted from the director's own evaluation of the actor's ability to weave in any text to his sermonising, after witnessing Fabian's audition. Having turned his back on God in favour of science when his own son's life was at risk, the news that an autistic boy has been murdered during an exorcism provokes Cotton into exposing the truth. As such his last exorcism, via a random choice of letter amongst those appealing for the pastor's help, brings Cotton and his camera crew to the Sweetzer farmstead in remote rural Louisiana. The cleverness of this part of the screenplay is in juxtaposing the entertaining disclosure of the tricks of the trade of this 'Elmer Gantry' with a conscience, with the sudden unnerving realisation for Cotton and his crew that something sinister is afoot in the Sweetzer household. The writers and director firstly benefited from the fact that a member of the crew was a practising exorcist, and then, the surprise discovery that their lead actress was double-jointed. The latter, Ashley Bell, aside from her skills as a contortionist, delivers a debut performance worthy of greater recognition. As the naive Nell, the teenage girl Cotton endeavours to free of her demonic possession, Bell arouses both fear for her character's vulnerability in such a fractured household, and of her potential psychotic or demonic savagery. The film also marks the career breakthrough for Caleb Landry Jones as Nell's unhinged protective brother. Further steadfast support is given by former 'Murder She Wrote' regular, Louis Herthum as the bereaved father whose religious fervour Cotton starts to suspect hides possible domestic abuse. The original title for this feature was accordingly 'Cotton', and it is a shame that the movie loses its way, rather than maintain focus on this individual's inner struggle to reignite his faith, when confronted by events and scenes which defy any rational explanation. The audience shares the tension of whether they are witnessing an actual possession or the shattered mind of a disturbed teenager, especially as the CGI is intelligently kept to a minimum. Moreover, in interview Eli Roth, aficionado of horror and this feature's producer, stated that the aim was to fashion a psychological thriller built up on believable character development. So less understandable then why the film's finale employs so many clichés of the genre in its escalation towards a lacklustre and farcical 'back woods' pastiche of 'Rosemary's Baby'
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good first half, lacklustre second half
grantss12 August 2016
A film crew are documenting the life of Reverand Cotton Marcus, a preacher in Louisiana whose specialty is exorcisms. One day they accompany him on an exorcism and things don't all go according to plan...

So-so movie. Was original and interesting for the first half, then drifted a bit, and then had a tangential and quick ending. The suspense that was built up wonderfully in the first half is all given up in the second half. In short, the pacing was off.

Pretty scary though, and thus better than your average supernatural- horror movie.

Performances are fairly solid, especially as none of the actors are well-known.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
.5.6 but it is not scary at all.
jacobjohntaylor110 March 2016
This movie so not scary. 5.6 is just overrating it. This movie has a very bad story line. The ending is is just awful. It is supposed to scary. But is not. It is just cheesy and overrated. It the story of a single father who has daughter that possessed by a demon. So he hires an exorcist to get ride of it. Oops it turns out he a fake. It hate this movie. I do not no why people are scared of it. It could not scary an eight year old. It so not scary. It has got to be one of the worst horror movies ever. Come to think of it the sequel is worst. But still before The last exorcism par II came out this was the worst horror movie ever.
Spoilers follow ...
Nigel P12 February 2016
Evangelical reverend and showman Cotton Marcus has a plan to expose the concept of 'exorcism' as the farce he believes it to be. This, as you might imagine, is asking for trouble. He reveals to camera his 'box of tricks' (steaming crucifixes, sound effects etc) that will prove how gullible people are. Patrick Fabian is excellent as the fast-talking Cotton. The reverend is initially arrogant, cocooned in the high-energy joy he brings to his congregation despite not entirely believing his own words, but gradually becomes aware that events are bigger than he can possibly handle.

In 'Blair Witch' fashion, we are treated to interviews from the locals conducted by Cotton as he makes his way to where the exorcism is due to take place. Not all of them are friendly. One of the least amenable happens to be the son of the family for whom the exorcism is to be carried out. Indeed, one local's proclamation that the house in question contains 'the gates of hell' is alarmingly prosaic.

When we meet the victim, Nell, allegedly under a demon's possession, she is virginal and shy. Actress Ashley Bell overplays Nell's wide-eyed innocence and wholesome smile … but then, we are meant to find her unnaturally good, in comparison to what comes later.

I enjoy horror films, but I only find a handful of them truly frightening. One is 'The Exorcist' which, as you may imagine, this shares similarities with – and this is another. Familiarity does not make the images of a young girl getting progressively more violent, unearthly and demonic any easier to watch. The look of horror on the face of her father, her (also very unnerving) brother (a brilliant performance from Caleb Landry-Jones) and Cotton himself is communicated very well to the audience.

Rather desperately, Cotton clings to the notion that – even despite bone crunching distortions (all performed without a stunt double) – the girl is not possessed by a demon but by shame. She is pregnant, and is terrified to reveal this to her God-fearing father.

It is ultimately revealed (and this is a SPOILER) that not only is Nell actually possessed (by a demon called Abalam), but (in true Wicker Man style) the entire neighbourhood is in on it also. When her new-born baby is thrown upon an open fire which apparently gives true life to Abalam, as a viewer, I am actually relieved – because up until that point, 'The Last Exorcism' had me just where it wanted me, figuratively watching behind my fingers, such was the power of performance and production. But the ending entered into a world of the fantastic, a revelation too far, that ripped the carefully built-up realism from the piece. Not that the climax isn't effective – it's just unnecessary when it serves to break the spell of what we had seen up till that point. The glimpse of an entity in the burgeoning flames is the only example of CGI in the film.

That bastion of decency, the UK Censor – who even since the 1930's, has been a thorn in the side of horror pictures – banned the promotional poster because of its 'offensive' imagery. As is often the case, such reassuring suppression only helped fuel its success enough for a sequel, also starring Ashley Bell, in 2013.
Refreshing and enjoyable!
mathijsschaap24 January 2016
Filmed in a way as if this is a documentary containing 'archive material' this movie was something you don't see everyday! That was a nice surprise and especially refreshing within the subject of supernatural movies about possession etc. Actors seem to move and act quite naturally and a fun fact is that most actors have the same First name as in real life. The effects are believable.

The ending was quite the same as in 'Wake Wood' which was a bit of a letdown and the ending seems to have been rushed to completion, but I'm very fond of this movie nevertheless!

I recommend this movie very much. Eli Roth was involved and it seems that Mr. Roth is becoming quite a name within the horror genre :-)
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the most disappointing horror movies in a long time...
John Aldridge20 October 2015
The Last Exorcism is well acted, and has a fairly good (but familiar) storyline. But everything else is just disappointing.

From reviews, I was expecting an original new horror film. However, it takes about 45 minutes to get into the actual exorcism. The twist at the end doesn't make any sense at all, because the camera is all shaky and you really can't tell what is going on.

There are also lots of random scary scenes, where the writer/director just thinks 'we will just put a scary scene there to make the movie interesting'. In fact, those scary scenes just make the movie pointless and boring. There are no particularly creepy shots, or atmosphere anywhere in the movie.

Now, lets talk about the 'documentary' style to the film. It would have worked well, but the director decides to put eerie music in there. People who make documentaries do not just add some music in a documentary for effect. Also, some shots look like they are made to look like a normal movie, not a documentary. These aspects just make the style tacky, and not scary.

I found Paranormal Activity quite boring, but that doesn't compare to this piece of crap.

Overall: 1 out of 5 OR 2 out of 10 OR D-
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's OK
edgarasstasaitis9 August 2015
If you ARE a fan of exorcism movies and movies like the Blair Witch Project or even horror movies in general, The Last Exorcism is a good watch to satisfy your boredom and keep you entertained for an hour and a half, especially if you understand and like the construct of "sluggish build up" and if you have a few extra bucks that you're looking to spend.If your looking for a horror movie that will revive the horror genre for our time, this isn't it. But the film isn't trying to be the next big name in horror, so my rating is based off of the intentions of the film itself. Overall, the movie did it's job in being mildly original, having great acting (considering that this is in fact a lower-budget horror movie), in staying true to the genre, and in delivering an engaging story.
Not the Last.
Python Hyena13 July 2015
The Last Exorcism (2010): Daniel Stamm / Cast: Patrick Fabian, Ashley Bell, Iris Bahr, Louis Herthum, Caleb Landry Jones: Independent horror film in the tradition of The Blair Witch Project. This one regards a form of spirituality that was heavily present in the Bible but since then science and doctrine has connected other reasons for such behaviour. Patrick Fabian plays Cotton, a preacher after his father whose sermons are enthusiastic showcase. Accompanied by his producer and cameraman he ventures to a remote farm to answer a call regarding a teenage girl and several unexplained slaughtered animals. Convinced that his faith is for show, Cotton displays props for an exorcism that convinces everyone accept for an aggressive teenage male named Caleb whose hatred for preachers stemmed from his mother's death. Director Daniel Stamm is backed with a convincing low budget production that adds to the film's eerie affect. Fabian is hilarious in his bemusement with his subject's beliefs in supernatural elements but he soon is unable to explain what is not a prop from his kit. Iris Bahr is the voice of reason as his producer. Ashley Bell plays the victim who starts out bright eyed and happy but eventually becomes a menacing possessed creature twisted out of proportion. Louis Herthum plays her father under speculation due to past tragedies and his willingness to use a shotgun if needed. Caleb Landry Jones plays a good sadistic young brat with a devious grin. The ending is wayward and foolish but until that point it is an intriguing view of a spirituality that was thought long past. Score: 8 / 10
Not A Bad Addition To The Lost Footage Found Genre
David Arnold18 January 2015
In Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the evangelical Reverend Cotton Marcus was raised by his father to be a preacher. He agrees to the participation to make a documentary about his life and it's here Cotton tells the story about how he questions his faith after what happened to his wife and also explains that exorcisms are a fraud. Seeing a chance to prove to the documentary team what he means, Cotton reads a letter that has been sent by a farmer from Ivanwood asking him to perform an exorcism on his daughter, Nell. When in Ivanwood, it's here Cotton reveals the different tricks used when performing exorcisms. He performs the "exorcism" on Nell, and everything seems fine at first, but before long Nell shows signs of the same behaviour she had before. Soon, Cotton starts to believe that what Nell is exhibiting may be real after all.

The Last Exorcism is another addition to the "mockumentary" and "lost footage found" genres, and while it's not a new genre, it's actually not too bad. The actors do a good job in convincing the audience that they are "ordinary" people as well and it definitely has the documentary feel about it. Ashley Bell does a good job of playing Nell, and what's even more impressive is that all the contortions she does in the movie are real with no additional visual effects.

There are a few good jumps and eerie moments in the movie, most of them coming in the last 15-20 minutes, but the freakiest parts of the movie is definitely when Nell shows signs of being possessed. The pace of the movie isn't too bad overall, but it does stop/start a bit too much and the ending isn't really the best as I think it gets a bit ridiculous. If the ending was better, then The Last Exorcism could very well have been a much better movie.

Not too bad, but there are definitely much better movies of this genre out there.
Solid Characters, Rewatchable
therocefailure25 December 2014
One of my favourites. A big problem with the horror genre -- and especially the possession genre -- is characters that you just don't care about. Nell is very easy to care about. She's a sweet girl from a bad background in a horrific situation that she didn't consent to or ask for. You want her to be okay. The only bad part, in my opinion, is - spoiler! - when she beats the cat to death with the camera. Skip that scene. it's just sad. Yes, it does cast a rather disparaging view on the exorcism, for lack of a better word, industry -- but for good reason. Ashley Bell's awards were well won -- her acting, contortion and natural characterisation of the sad Nell are impeccable.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyable but flawed exorcism effort
GL8416 December 2014
With a film crew following his last days in the church, a skeptical preacher is called out to perform an exorcism on a remote farm and finds a far greater evil than he ever imagined and must summon all his faith and courage to combat the evil.

This was an enjoyable if still somewhat problematic entry. One of it's biggest attributes is the fact that the shaking-camera footage is kept to a minimum throughout here despite the fact that this one is based around the found-footage concept which here is allowed to really showcase the action on-screen. Granted, it might not be a lot but there's still the point of this one keeping us really centered on the action and how enjoyable it is to be able to see what's going on without the blurring images and out-of-focus shots that typically render a lot of these types of films moot. Here, we get to see these all pretty much cleanly which enables the few action scenes to come off rather nicely in the second half where the race to get her out of the house before the father shows up and the finale's Satanic ceremony which is quite a bit of fun throughout the devilish incarnations and action throughout. That is certainly helped along by the different exorcism attempts earlier on where the inhuman actions and responses given to her condition really cement the idea of something out-of-the-ordinary going on and his obliviousness to it all in the face of his documentary attempt makes for some chilling times by exploiting the concept rather nicely. Still, these here don't really allow this one to truly overcome it's few flaws, mainly in the criminal lack of activity that this one undergoes in the middle portions of the film. It really has such little action that it throws in several outside characters merely to try to have some semblance of characters because it doesn't have much of a plot to string that kind of action off of, and leaving these scenes to consist of either endless wandering around the house doing nothing or spouting off inane backstories to keep up with the hoax of what he's accomplishing and neither of these are all that effective at making this one enjoyable. Likewise, the other big flaw here is the criminally underwhelming exorcism scenes that take place here, most notably the second one which is supposedly the true exorcism. The first one is for show and generally supposed to be weak, yet the main one here is really weak and not all that exciting, generally taking up space in the film with it's lack of seriousness and overall underwhelming results. These issues here do hold this one back though it is quite enjoyable nonetheless.

Rated PG-13: Violence and Language.
Could have Been Better!
Sherin9 November 2014
The Pastor took a different view to a serious problem .... but when he realised the seriousness it was already over .. Shows how important the role of a Pastor is .. It is important to understand Church and Pastors are there to guide and help us, but it is our duty to be watchful and know the rotten eggs out there! Just because your Pastor says something that is not right, you don't need to follow it ... Anyone can be corrupt in the end days and this movie is a very raw and straightforward testimony for that brutal fact! Many think getting inside a church is the end of a problem related to the dark force, the solution is within ... Faith! Not outside ... find it and fight it with Him (God) by your side!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A difficult film to review.
lois-lane335 October 2014
It was good and it was not good on many different levels. I liked the way it started but I thought it got a bit funny in the middle and then the ending was a good twist but also in a way and a cop out. I liked the performance given by the girl who was suffering from problems but I also think the film didn't represent the concept of an Exorcist film because a) the preacher didn't believe in Exorcism, and b) the graphics on the ad poster etc make you think it is one of the prequels/sequels to the Exorcist series of films when it isn't. Add bits of ad hoc video spam aka Blair Witch as maybe a homage to a "classic" that actually has weirdness to it or is it not a homage but an attempt to rip off a genre creating film? I kinda don't care-its like arguing about what defines a good a picnic table. There have been lots of horror films come and go and it is understood that its all in good fun and as such I think a film has to pack more of a punch and not make the audience feel they are stupid if they actually think God means something. It should mean more than a dumb bumper sticker-as such the film kind of maligns the idea of 'a good Christian' and paints Christians people as back woods dumb dumbs or charlatans. The original Exorcist film depicts a priest who is kind of a turd who gets the devil on his doorstep-is it karma? Maybe it is. A similar theme is dealt with by this film yet it is 'not affiliated' with the Exorcist movie. A rip off of a concept using a similar title & graphic style for the ads is to walk a precarious pathway. The girl in the movie won and award and the film was financially successful. Hooray for them. Not sure if I see this film as a keeper. Maybe not so much. A bit thin in the final analysis aka my bros and sisters liked it but I thought it needed something more. Like originality.
Just Awful
Rainey Dawn24 July 2014
Scraping the bottom of the barrel is how I would describe this film.

I am not one that writes a bad reviews for a movie but this one is awful. A terrible mockumentary - definitely not a documentary.

I watched the first 5 minutes or so of this movie and was appalled at what I saw. I could not even watch it long enough to get a good laugh out of it. The opening scenes were too fake - I felt as if I could have done a much better job at filming and acting than what I saw in this movie (and I do not say that about 99% of the movies I watch only about 1% I will say this about and The Last Exorcism is in that 1%).

I fast forwarded through the movie just to see if I thought it would get better but, alas, I only saw more of the same terrible acting and filming that was in the beginning. "OK, time to see this ending that I've heard others talk about" I said to myself -- what I saw was just stupid.

I cannot even get a laugh out of this film much less a good scare.

1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I was impressed & freaked
mitchw-61-30594221 July 2014
I watched this movie by myself, at home, in the dark at 9:00pm on July 21st, 2014. It all seemed very familiar to me. I could have sworn I'd seen the film before because of the entire beginning, albeit very confused if I had. I didn't remember it being documentary-styled. I did remember the reverends motive for his documentary (which is depressing as hell for a horror flick, right? If that's the plot, where's the horror?). My story ends here - I had seen the beginning ... and never watched anything further or fell asleep.

So I got to watch the story build-up (twice) and my first impression of something scary is about mid-way through the film at a hotel, and I was like "phew!" ... maybe this won't be nothing. I don't mind character build-up at all. I encourage it very much. The realism was FANTASTIC. I do not know of this actress who plays Nell. No sets. No Hollywood. I couldn't tell if they used computer graphics which was a solid plus. I read the actress playing Nell performed the contortions herself so maybe not, except for the end, unless they used kerosene (ha ha).

I can't say much about my theories, because I don't want to give out spoilers, but I do have some about her brother and the ending. I believe it ended ambiguously. I read some comments on here and people have different perspectives about what was actually going on there, does that make it ambiguous or is it only ambiguous if that was the intention? Who cares? Heart racing sh!t for me. I believe in Satan! I believe in Satan! Does that make it more scary for me? I actually DoN't believe in Satan. Not in a demonic possession-way. I will say that it questions my doubt. Nicely played.

I was frightened and entertained. I've got a HUGE collection of horror films and regularly rent them. I think that says something to the quality of this film, for me anyway. The ending was unexpected which is great. Whether it went "too far" supernaturally, well, yes and no. I'm glad it was unexpected. I will settle for 'no'.

The actors did a great job. I don't know who the camera-man was played by, perhaps my only criticism ... no, I should say disbelief, is that he manages to hold the camera through everything he witnesses cause I would drop the F**K** and run the other way till my legs fell off.

Oh, and I just watched the second one. Not sure if it's because I turned the light on or what but it's not comparable to the first one at all (IMO). See it, don't see. Whatever.

Cheers!
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not bad (for what it is)
bowmanblue22 June 2014
Okay, as any horror fan knows, 'found footage' films are 'in' right about now. It seems anyone can run round shaking a camera for ninety minutes and call the result a 'found footage' horror film. The Last Exorcism is one of these 'found footage' films. This time a camera crew follows an exorcist on a job and… well, if you've ever seen (a) a found footage film or (b) and exorcism film, then you'll know what to expect.

And you get just that. Some might say that that's a bad thing as everything is pretty predictable (and they're probably be right – there's nothing really that new here to see). However, it's not as terrible as most found footage films. The characters are believable and they don't make a hundred and one stupid decisions (maybe one or two, here and there, but that's still less than your average star of a horror movie), so the acting remains good and the camera not too wobbly.

Of course the story descends into what you'd probably expect as the team get more than they bargain for.

I won't say that anything here is a classic, so it's really down to whether you can be bothered sitting through – yet another – found footage film, combined with yet one more exorcism film. If you decide to give it a go, be gentle – like I say… it's no masterpiece, but watchable enough.

0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good, down-to-earth exorcism film
d_in_chi8 April 2014
In The Last Exorcism, a documentary crew joins a highly charismatic Louisiana minister to film his last exorcism, a calling he inherited from his father. Having only used exorcism as a psychological and therapeutic tool, he admittedly employs illusions to "trick" the possessed and their families and give them peace of mind, but has come to a decision to renounce the act altogether. His last go-round won't be a simple matter of hocus pocus, as he finds himself dealing with a broken home, a psychotic girl, her deranged father, and other malignant elements.

Supernatural and demonic thrillers have a habit of coming up short if unique characters and situations aren't presented within the first 30 minutes and sustained throughout. Exorcism avoids this shortcoming with some outstanding performances from the lead character and the girl he is forced to try saving, and an interesting format. The first half of the film is highly entertaining, with the Reverend showing off his tricks of the trade while also making it clear that he's both a devoted man of God and a well grounded man of Reason, with nothing but good intentions. As a very likable character, he is a rarity in supernatural horror. I will admit I didn't know who Patrick Fabian is (despite his countless acting credits, I'm ignorant to television), but I am well aware now. He hits a home run in this role.

Nell is played perfectly as a believable home schooled daughter of a devout but deeply troubled Christian. Her character is not overly polished or sensational, which adds to the realism of the film.

The realism of the film is what makes the questionable ending work, and lays a good groundwork of suspense. Most of the activities involve using well informed reason to explain the girls' strange actions, even as the movie begins to go down darker and darker paths. This makes Exorcism an interesting exploration of taboo subjects, shame, and superstition. Most supernatural films instead use a tired and ineffective trope: the stock psychiatrist/therapist that the haunted/possessed is forced to see, without giving depth to the professional or the experience as a whole.

I do wish the end could have at least been explored more and toned down a bit (the fire thing was a bit over the top), if it wasn't going to be more in line with the approach taken with the rest of the story. However, it provides some shocks that are satisfying in spite of overindulgence.

Over all, a very good movie about realistic human experiences and demons as well. Highly recommended.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
.....what?
Andrew Atkins11 March 2014
I will be careful when reviewing movies in the future to never utter this line again, because I honestly feel "The Last Exorcism" deserves this title without doubt...

"This is the worst movie I have ever seen.. EVER." Pure garbage from start to finish. The trailer had me thinking this was going to be great, and I give so much credit to whoever edited 87 minutes of garbage into an entertaining 2 minutes, but also ask them "Why?". Why did you have to make me think this was going to be in any way entertaining? This movie was the most dull, deprived, stupid horror movie I've ever sat through. If you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg to go to the movies nowadays, I would've walked out 20 minutes in. I sat there, hoping there was any redeeming factor in this movie that could make me say, "At least that part was kind of cool", but not once did I find myself in any way entertained. And by the end I, especially at the end, I regretted more than ever staying in that theatre. What a joke of an ending to a joke of a movie.

The actors can not be faulted for this movie, and may honestly by the only saving grace this movie had from being a 1/10 overall on IMDb. They gave solid performances to a very undeserving movie.

Please, save yourself from this Exorcism. I wish somebody would have saved me.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
There's nothing new to see here.
BA_Harrison7 March 2014
The Last Exorcism follows evangelical minister Cotton Marcus (Patrick Fabian) as he performs his final exorcism for the benefit of a camera crew, revealing the whole process to be a sham—a series of clever tricks designed to fool the 'possessed' and their concerned kinfolk into believing that the demon has left its host. Unfortunately, Cotton's method doesn't go as planned with teenager Nell Sweetzer (Ashley Bell), who might just be the real deal…

The whole shaky camera, faux documentary/found footage horror thing has been done to death since the success of The Blair Witch Project and this film adds absolutely nothing new to what is now an extremely tired sub-genre: predictably, The Last Exorcism's strange supernatural events gradually escalate, Nell's behaviour becoming more and more unsettling, with the whole thing culminating in an ambiguous 'shock' ending that not only manages to rip off Blair Witch, but which is also rather reminiscent of The Wicker Man and Race With The Devil.

4.5 out of 10, rounded up to 5 for IMDb.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good idea and compelling Ashley Bell
SnoopyStyle6 March 2014
In Baton Rouge, evangelical Reverend Cotton Marcus (Patrick Fabian) has been a preacher since he was a kid. However he is tired of the fraudulent exorcisms. He takes along documentarian filmmaker Iris Reisen (Iris Bahr) and the cameraman Daniel Moskowitz to do one last fake exorcism. The Sweetzer family has asked for help for their daughter Nell (Ashley Bell). However, there may be something much more real than anything Cotton had planned for.

This is a low budget faux documentary take on the exorcism horror genre. There are a couple of logical questions in the movie in need of answering. For what it is, this is a good original movie. Ashley Bell projects a very compelling disturbing creepy and yet innocent girl. The ending isn't that good. The ending looks cheap. The movie builds good tension, but the air bleeds out of it instead of exploding.
A nice horror movie...
Thanos Karagioras19 January 2014
"The Last Exorcism" is a simple nice horror movie and nothing more than that. It has nice special and visual effects, suspense and a little bit of scary.

It reminded me the "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" movie combined with the "Grave Encounters" movie but in a lower version of that. I liked this horror movie because it had suspense and the story and the plot of it was interesting.

"The Last Exorcism" is a movie which did not make the difference between th horror movies because it did not have this thing which can make it unique.
1 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this