IMDb > My Fake Fiance (2009) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

My Fake Fiance (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Predictable? Absolutely

Author: prncescbb85 from Columbia, MO
20 April 2009

I was watching this last night while trying to avoid actually finishing my American Lit homework, and I have to say, while it is a romantic comedy, and we all know how predictable they are, this one was actually pretty clever. Every turn I knew what was going to happen, but the filmmakers made it in such a way that you forgot that it was being predictable, and I think that's what succeeded for it. It will most likely never join the ranks of "When Harry Met Sally" or "10 Things I hate About You" in terms of romantic comedy classics, but standing on its own, it was an endearing film that shows that when you marry, you're not marrying one other person, you're marrying their entire family. It is a family movie, but all in all, a cute one.

Funny, cute, and very enjoyable.

Author: from United States
20 April 2009

We've all seen this plot before, the girl gets a guy to pretend to be her boyfriend and eventually falls for him. But the way this movie portrays it is both refreshing and entertaining. There are no dull moments, with smart humour and just enough chick-flick romance to keep fans of those interested but not so much that everyone else gets tired. Hart and Lawrence are a hilarious duo. Their characters are so much alike in their cynical sense of humour that they keep the scenes moving with witty dialogue. I will admit, the guys Vince owes money to aren't tough enough to be really believable, but then again real gangsters would be slightly disturbing in a light-hearted movie like this. Great watch, too bad it was a made-for-TV, it's much better than many on the big screen.

Better than I thought!

Author: xx_Sarah from United States
24 June 2009

This movie was very predictable. I knew exactly what was going to happen before the opening credits even came on! However, as predictable as it was, the movie was much better than I expected. I'm not a big fan of Melissa Joan Hart, but I really liked the movie. It was like watching a good movie for the second time (you know exactly what's going to happen, but you still want to watch it and end up loving it just the same).

It was basically about Jennifer and Vince - two strangers who meet through a mutual friend and are both broke - pretending to be engaged so they can get the gifts and the money. However, little do they realize, they end up falling in love. Their only problem is, do they go through with the wedding plan?

hilarious and feel-good romance

Author: candycaneska from United States
29 May 2012

I watched this movie with my best friend at 2am. We were just flicking back and forth on netflix and decided to put this on. I thought it was going to be another one of those cheesy TV movies, but to my surprise, it wasn't at all. The beginning was a clever start, immediately drawing you in with comedy. Of course it's predictable in story line, but not scenes and obstacles. This movie was one of the best TV movies I have ever seen! Lawrence and Hart have lots of chemistry and it's so hard not to laugh. The rest of the cast work pretty well together, too. Hands down to the comedy and romance and that they actually waited to be together 'til marriage. Awesome movie!

This fractured fairy tale romcom will delight fans of the genre

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
8 March 2012

Jennifer (Melissa Joan Hart) is miffed to be attending another friend's wedding. She has spent a fortune on gifts and new shoes, besides the humiliation of not being married or attached herself. Now in her thirties, Jenn does have a good job and has saved enough for her first house. But, hold the phone, folks meet their matches at weddings, no? Well, not today! Jenn finds herself at the same table as Vince (Joseph "Joey" Lawrence) who has a fresh mouth and a crumpled suit. Also, as he receives a telephone call at the reception, Jenn learns that he is a compulsive gambler, too, with big debts. Ugh. But, with no one else to converse with, Jenn and Vince soon get on a discussion of how much each of them has forked over for gifts for their pals. Soon, a brilliant idea is hatched. The new duo of Jenn and Vince will get engaged, plan a wedding, score some great gifts and cash then call it off at the last minute. No one really wants their purchases back anyway, right? As the couple begin to cement their plans, they must meet often and introduce each other to their extended families. Could it be that a fake fiancé might turn into the genuine article? This very cute fractured fairy tale of a romcom will delight fans. Hart is certainly becoming the champion of such stuff while Lawrence is not far behind. Both are attractive and funny performers who entertain their target audiences well. Also, the supporting cast is very capable, especially Steven Shirraripa as the mobster in control of Vince's bad habits. Sets, costumes, script, and direction are typical but more than adequate. Gals or any fans of these films, go search for this one soon. I got mine on a wonderful four volume disc with three other nice ABC family films.

Predictably Wonderful!!! Definitely Worth Watching!!!

Author: harrymatt1988 from India
6 November 2010

Before watching "My Fake Fiancé",I expected it to be an usual Romantic Comedy flick.But this one really surprised me.I mean for a TV movie it really was different and refreshing.

Even though the plot is funny and predictable,the acting and great chemistry between the leads Melissa Joan Hart and Joey Lawrence made the difference.I watch it repeatedly and it never bores me but makes me excited every time.

But this flick is underrated and it deserves more.I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves romantic comedies.It is definitely worth watching.

My Rating: 9/10

Fluffy

Author: Cedric_Catsuits from United Kingdom
4 August 2011

MJH is one of those actresses who rarely gets big hits but always delivers a watchable performance, often rescuing films that would otherwise be pretty missable. Here she looks less cutesy than in previous years but is still full of character.

The script is unoriginal and the situations formulaic but there are some funny moments. The Monkey and his henchmen with their 'green' credentials are actually quite amusing. Lawrence never convinces as a leading man, even if he does look like the love-child of Vin Diesel and Brad Pitt.

If you're a fan of Hart then this won't disappoint, but don't expect to be splitting your sides.

Typical romantic comedy...but that's not a criticism

Author: gee-15 from United States
21 April 2009

Joey Lawrence and Melissa Joan Hart make a nice couple and I laughed several times watching this movie. (Particularly the scene where he tells her parents about his family. Modern viewers probably won't get the joke) However, as the movie made its way to its inevitable conclusion (do I really have to spell out what that conclusion was?) it made an interesting point. As most relationships develop, you start out knowing the best about your partner and then gradually become aware of the "less ideal" aspects of that person. In this movie, the process is reversed and the two characters start out knowing all the bad things about each other and gradually come to see each other's better qualities. It's not exactly deep but I liked the concept.

Cute, no more and no less

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
2 June 2013

So about two weeks ago I decided to watch Melissa and Joey on Netflix. Well, something clicked in its old school sitcom feel and now I'm hooked...I love it! I've always been a sucker for the ABC Family/Disney Family type movies. So having become a fan of Melissa Joan Hart and Joseph Lawrence I was pretty excited to discover this little movie they did before Melissa and Joey. I knew it wasn't going to be stunning or anything but I expected cute, fun and it was exactly that. In many ways it was almost a direct precursor to the TV series. Their characters were vaguely similar though toned down versions, and their tempestuous relationship was also vaguely similar to the playful hatred Mel and Joe have for each other. The film starts out stumbling a little. It doesn't really know where its going and their personalities were a little grating at first. But then around the middle of the movie it starts to find its groove and turns in a cute adorable little romance that is your typical (in a good way) ABC Family rom-com. They still don't have near the chemistry that they manage to have in their ABC Family sitcom but it was fun and simply and you just have to sit back and enjoy.

I never really considered Melissa Joan Hart or Joseph Lawrence to be A list actors but you know watching this and knowing their characters from the TV show I can say they are both very talented at what they do. They are both just very down to earth and you can relate to them and their characters in the film go through a lot of different developments to end up together. Both are very comfortable in their roles and clearly have good chemistry. The supporting cast are decent if not very predictable (another surefire sign of an ABC Family film but who cares really?) Steve Schirripa is cliché to a T as a mobster/loan shark/book that Lawrence must contend with. They even poke a certain amount of fun at the cliché characters. But he does it well. Hart's parents are played by Rhoda Griffis and Mike Pniewski and they are really great. They don't have a big role but they have some great lines and good chemistry with Hart and Lawrence.

Director Gil Junger is no stranger to directing. He has been directing Television shows for decades and some of them are classic shows. He has a great understanding of Family type films (though I would still classify My Fake Fiancé as more of a PG-13 type movie.) I have no doubt that many people reading this will roll their eyes and talk about how bad this movie was because its the furthest thing from a Hollywood blockbuster. But I firmly believe there is NOTHING wrong with fluff!! Fluff can be good and this was good!! Not great but good. The romantic ending was sweet and perfect. As with many romances everything happens very quickly in a mostly unrealistic time frame but sometimes you can't put realism to something that is simple fun. Sit back and enjoy it for what it is and try not to take life and movies so seriously!! 7/10

Great Lighthearted Romantic Comedy

Author: ddkampf from United States
6 March 2013

I have been a fan of the Lawrence brothers for a long time. The movies of their's that I have seen have generally been wholesome, family oriented movies. This one is no exception. It is a simple plot but has a few twists here and there sufficient to keep you watching. I enjoyed the comedic friction between Vince and Jennifer. It is interesting how Jennifer and Vince get thrown together, and how much of a challenge they have at pulling off their charade. As others have said, loan shark's enforcers are not really very believable and one of them could have used some acting lessons. However, overall it was a very enjoyable romantic comedy. It was refreshing and clean, without the cursing and nudity so common in today's films.