IMDb > Little Big Soldier (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Da bing xiao jiang

Little Big Soldier More at IMDbPro »Da bing xiao jiang (original title)

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

an enjoyable jackie chan action comedy, but not one of his best

Author: daworldismine from United Kingdom
20 May 2012

little big soldier is a solid action comedy for sure, but after reading loads of reviews saying how this was jackie chans best movie in years, i went in expecting a masterpiece, and i didn't get it, the movie looks expensive and is very nice to look at, and some of the action scenes are really top notch, but anybody expecting a fight fest like the usaul chan fare will be very dissopionted. as chan is very much the underdog here, and really isn't a good fighter. the comedy here is funny, and it has an ending that will be shocking, and surprising. the movie has a lot to recommend, and it is very well made, but its far from perfect, and at times it drags, and there are long bursts without action. never the less this is still a decent jackie chan movie, and is definitely worth a watch

Evolution from pure action

Author: MoviesAboutLife from United States
31 March 2012

Jackie Chan stars as a soldier who plays dead during battle. He captures the injured enemy general (Wang Leehom) to take home for a reward. They are relentlessly pursued by a young prince and his mentor.

Little Big Soldier allows Chan to show us the comedy through martial arts. In the typical Chan tradition, Jackie plays a character runs into trouble. Similarly to his loyal character in Lust Caution, Wang plays a more serious character in contrast to Chan. Their . His developing relationship is both hilarious and contemplative. While certain parts of the movie are quite unclear (the singer and the mentor), Little Big Soldier is a evolution from Chan's purely action-packed repertoire, as it exemplifies positive virtues.

"Small Potato" art-house perfection...

Author: poe426 from USA
5 November 2012

Jackie Chan, graverobber...? Indeed- and it's one of his finest performances ever. Chan is learning how to mellow with age, and LITTLE BIG SOLDIER enables him to rely more on his carefully-honed acting skills than his death-defying antics. (Surprisingly, there's a cgi/wirework sequence here, but it turns out to be nothing more than a dream sequence- thankfully.) Chan's funnier than ever, too. He wears a fake arrow-through-the-chest rig that comes in handy when he's captured. The barbarian bandits are easily the coolest characters we've seen this side of the original Robert E. Howard CONAN stories (which are NOT to be confused with the alleged "feature films") (nor the live-action nor the cartoon teleshows). When a captured general escapes, Chan, as "Samll Potato," observes: "Just a general. Next time, I'll catch a king." There are some GREAT locations throughout LITTLE BIG SOLDIER and the ending is very dramatic, indeed. Another winner.

Refreshing new stuff from Jackie

Author: emir-alkafagi from Republic of Macedonia
30 May 2012

Jackie Chan comedies are funny, but have become clichés and a bit ridiculous at moments. "Little Big Soldier" is a refreshing comedy, action, adventure in which Jackie's performance is better than any of his latest movies. Even though he's a bad ass, kung-fu fighting farmer, he appears to be a coward, which later on proves to be otherwise. His humor is not as immature as before, I even felt like it came from his roots. The Chinese have proved themselves to be witty before, and Jackie really portrays that in this title. It really shows you how the Chinese history was, how the people thought and acted, and adds a big pile of good comedy on top of it. I enjoyed it more than expected and especially liked the twist at the end. I did not, for one minute, mind that this movie was in Chinese. Actually, I enjoyed not watching Jackie suffer with his English, even though it tends to be funny. This movie really deserves a larger audience than I believe it gets, but, I guess not everyone is ready to watch a Chinese movie. Loved it, and I would love to see more of this kinds of movies from Jackie.

The sparrow that will be a phoenix !

Author: ahmed elshikh (ahmed_abd_elreheem@yahoo.com) from Egypt
10 March 2013

Let's see what we have here : a buddy comedy, an action adventure, a road movie, a historical war movie, a story about a little soldier who turns big, and a meaning about the necessity of peace. Just WAW. Pure WAW !

The greatest thing about this movie is being solid and entertaining while delivering a substance as well. The genre movie always, and maybe forever, is described as a way to make you enjoy, however I believe that with the right hands, it can make you think as well. This is perfection in my book. And this movie beautifully did it.

The storyline of that old, clumsy and kindhearted foot soldier fascinates me. He's originally a poor farmer, who dreams of having money, land, kids, and respect, though his dreams turn usually into nightmares. Someday he found himself in conscription during a long war, hoping to get out of it unharmed, so he avoided fighting to the extent of feigning death while the battles. But, he got through the journey which proved that he could be a hero; as a soldier and human being, even if he eventually had none of his dreams fulfilled. I loved the way of transforming into the very general he saw dying at the start, to end up exactly like him; dying with his flag up. I loved how he trades 10 years of peace for his captive's life. I loved his wise-cracking lines and dad's sayings. And I loved how Jackie Chan surprisingly didn't play him as Jackie Chan; the martial arts expert and the competent fighting machine.

The endless problems that the 2 leads get into during the difficult road made worthy action comedy. Yet the drama of them as from-haters-to-lovers, then the conflict of the title character to be brave and successful, added to the conflict of the second character, the general of Wei, with his own brother all enriched the movie to be such a delight satisfaction on many levels.

Did you notice smart touches along the way; like how the 2 leads have no names, or the consecutive dreams of the foot soldier which are colored with darkness, and predict his final fate, or Lin Peng as the singer who sings for peace and life, or a sorrowful line such as "Sorry dad, I will never have children." when the soldier is dying, or even how that character loses his fortune / the gold of the Wei general; as if to assure that he has nothing at the end but himself, and his proved success. Ahh, this is more than enjoyable, and makes this movie suitable to be watched for more than once. I bet, within a few years, Hollywood will remake it in let's say a western movie; just remember that you heard it firstly here !

I was astonished when knew that Jackie Chan wrote it (at first I guessed it needed at least a professional playwright to master !). Undoubtedly this is the best of Chan ever as a writer. Directer Ding Sheng made an impressive world of a movie, where all the aforementioned genres were very well served. Leehom Wang was keen as the little general. And the cinematography did something to be proud of. Aside from picturing the exotic backgrounds mostly ravishingly, it sometimes mounted the character to raising skies, to be like abstract symbols in a folk story.

Now to the problems. I thought that the pace of the second half was more fast, less sane than the first half. The final battle was sure less powerful than the one before it; where Chan rode a bull to break a wall. The matter of the general's brother killing himself to save his brother was melodramatic and forced. At times, I got the feeling of more than enough action and not enough drama. And it was wrong to have the bloopers right after the tragic ending; for one reason it somehow weakened the serious effect of the movie's end, and for another it was like compulsory Jackie Chan move; which while belonging to, and fitting more, his pure action comedies represented sort of dissonance this round.

This is unique Jackie Chan movie. Enough to recall that he isn't the usual Jackie Chan in it; however succeeds. And as a genre movie, it reaches really high top that not a lot of genre movies can reach. It is more like its own metaphor about the little soldier who could be big; a sparrow that could be a phoenix.

Back to Square One

Author: kosmasp
26 December 2010

Jackie Chan got back into physical comedy after the fail attempts (New Police Story, which did not work on quite a few levels and of course Shinjiku Incident, which fans seem to despise, though it wasn't that bad) to become more serious. He gets back and though he's trying to avoid fighting in this one (his character that is), it is not that much of a stretch from his prior roles/characters. Especially his comedies of recent years were in the vain of trying to avoid to really hurt his opponent.

While this role takes it up a notch, there is still quite a bit of action to be seen here. Though not enough for people who are slightly drunk and expect non-stop fights (fortunately they weren't sitting anywhere near where I was sitting). Still the mixture of action and drama does not work entirely and the dramatic moments don't mix that well with the comedic moments. It means well, but sometimes fails horribly (mood-wise). Still no self-respectful Chan fan should shy away. You will like it anyway and especially if you were disappointed of movies like the ones I mentioned above

Lacking

Author: sunraider from United States
5 February 2012

I hate to give a negative review to anything Jackie Chan does since he's simply one of the most likable actors around. Even in poor movies, he generally shines, which he does here. The problem is the lack of any breadth or depth to this story. There's just not much in this movie. To summarize, Jackie Chan plays a lone surviving Liang soldier who captures the only other surviver, the enemy general from Wei, in hopes of taking him home and being rewarded. What transpires is a road picture of sorts as the mismatched pair quarrel, fight, and find common ground on the journey to Liang, all while trying to evade a band of uncivilized nomads and a young Wei prince who has reasons of his own for wanting the general back.

There's a basis for a story here, but it's not fleshed out in any way. This film desperately needed some "Meanwhile, back at the palace in Wei...," or "Meanwhile, back at a farm in Liang...," scenes to provide some background, context, and emotional heft to the story. The political and filial rivalry between the Prince and the general is never fully explored in any detail and the resolution of that conflict is incredibly weak. And some things just don't make sense. Why would a prince, supposedly the next ruler of his kingdom, go off in search of the general himself and take only a handful of soldiers to protect him? Wouldn't he be leading a fairly substantial army? All the actors do their job; Chan is his usual funny, endearing Everyman and I especially liked the actor who portrayed the young Prince Wen. He was suitably haughty and proud. But, there just isn't enough here to recommend the film.

A rather unremarkable outing

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
25 July 2011

A fun but flawed period piece from Jackie Chan, which sees the star indulging in some of his madcap comedy routines while at the same time the film takes more serious inroads in its look at the nature of warfare and violence in the historical age. Indeed, LITTLE BIG SOLDIER is an unusual film, unsure whether it wants to be a serious, character-based drama or the usual knockabout action film that we'd expect from the star. So at one stage we have Jackie beating off a trio of barbarian bad guys and the next we get some moralising about the pointlessness of battle and the fate of warring kingdoms.

Still, even at this late stage in his career, Jackie is difficult to dislike as the star. His stunts may be less outrageous and his fighting less impressive than it was twenty years ago, but he brings a warmth and genuine presence to his role. There's some fun to be had from the premise of two enemies being forced to travel together (bringing to mind all those old handcuffed-together comedies like MIDNIGHT RUN) and the action scenes, while unspectacular, are solid. Certainly not my favourite Jackie Chan film of recent years though, this pales in comparison to the likes of the powerful SHINJUKU INCIDENT.

Bonding between a farmer and a general

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
3 September 2011

I was expecting a good movie, but it was far from being good. The journey in this was just dull and boring for the most part. The humor in this sort of works but it just didn't know which direction it wanted to go with this. One of the main reason I decided to check this movie out is because it has Yoo Seung Jun in it, who use to be a popular Korean star until he neglected his military service. But anyways his charisma really shows in this and his acting was alright and he did the best he could with what he was given. Another negative is it's pacing is also pretty bad and just seems out of nowhere at times. The fight sequences aren't even that good and there is nothing memorable about it. Except maybe still watching the old Jackie still jumping around and evading attacks. I give this movie a 4 because I thought the ending was alright, maybe because it was sort of unexpected.

Spoiler alert

Author: michael_ekblad from Sweden
12 July 2011

What the hell is wrong with filmmakers these days? WHY must the hero always die? I hate those kind of movies, it automatically makes the movie awful in my eyes. Jackie, i love you man, but seriously, if this picks up, all my respect for you disappears like the garbage into the garbage-chute. The story was amazing, the stunts and fighting scenes as well. And yet, it HAD to be ruined by the main character dieing? "It gives depth"? Bullshit it does, it gives a small hint of cheesy story writing that almost stink like they did not know where to go with the story. What next? Will Lu Bu die and then awake 3 days later and go to heaven?

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]