IMDb > "Meet the Browns" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Meet the Browns"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Meet the Browns" More at IMDbPro »

Just what you'd expect. Horrible.

Author: sylverknight21 from United States
26 May 2009

First off, before making this comment I read around and understand that it seems as though this is a love it or hate it kind of thing. Apparently most people truly hate this show, whereas others ( a tiny few) seem to like it. That being said, I knew nothing of Tyler Perry's work until now, and the only reason I even heard of this show is because it would be spammed during the commercials for the NBA playoffs.

Honestly, the commercials alone were unbearable for me, however I gave it a shot, and honestly, with no bias whatsoever, this has got to be one of the worst works I have seen. Its apparent that its meant to be some sort of G to PG rated "whacky family" type of scenario, but oh GOD please, how are people so ignorant. I wonder, before such works are made, or written, do the people involved actually wonder, hmm, would I really rather spend my time watching this than doing anything else? The answer is no. Anyone who even gives this show like a 10 or something is completely mad, there is nothing funny about it, its just some stupid attempts at humor, and the only funny thing is when people take this comedy into another light and claim it has purpose or has some sort of literary quality to its writing.

One of the WORST shows on Television

Author: Writer01603 from United States
23 April 2010

The route of good comedy exist with creating characters who actions relate to their environment. Tyler Perry doesn't understand that. None of his characters are ever explained, we don't know why they are so stupid, why they act so crazy, or why they are completely nuts. Take Arrested Development, a real comedy, with incredibly inane, stupid, crazy plots, and even more psychotic characters. Watching it however, you can believe these people exist, because they're actions are exactly what they're characters would lead you to believe.

But we're supposed to believe that these blue collar, black folks, are stupid, moronic, inane, exaggerators of every small thing, and derive comedy from it. Family Matters was real comedy, it used it average intelligent people, acting sincerely, only to be drawn out through chaotic circumstances through the superior intelligence, but below average social person Steven Urkle. Brilliant comedy. Where is that dynamic. He doesn't seem to understand the straight man in a comedy routine duo. And their outrageous behavior is accepted as the norm. It doesn't make sense. It's pathetic. It's horrible. He really should stop writing.

Not good...not even close.

Author: forevermitch03 from United States
29 December 2009

I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would think this show is TBS worthy. I think that this show tries to hard to be funny and that pretty much ruined it for me. I couldn't sit through one episode because I thought it was absolutely preposterous! Everyone is ignorant and over-acts mostly every scene. I also feel this way about House of Payne as well. They are exactly the same show! Just aired at different times!

Whoever said that the only reason why people don't like these shows is because they're racist - is ridiculous! The reason why people don't like these shows because it lacks quality, talent, and morality.

I miss good shows like Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Family Matters, Friends, etc. They were funny because they were all well written. I feel that writers are getting so lazy nowadays and only want to make a quick buck.

Good TV Show

Author: nguyenlilie01 from Houston, TX
1 July 2014

I really enjoy watching this show. I don't know this has so many bad reviews but this show is pretty funny. I like that it has some lighthearted (sometimes corny) jokes. I enjoy watching this so, it's a stress reliever. If you like shows like Girlfriends, Home Improvement, or any other comedy family shows, then I don't see why you wouldn't like this one. And the family/cast is very cute and endearing. You really feel for the characters and their ups and downs. I also think the show is very comparable to real life in it's choice of events, and the main guy, Mr. Brown is really outstanding and out there in his humor, but it is all in good fun. Overall I would recommend it for people who like slapstick humor, and families, as this show is funny as well as family friendly.

Thank goodness this filth got cancelled

Author: trehxx
1 June 2012

This is one of the worst TV shows that I have ever seen. I cant believe this mess got to air on TV. This show should of gotten cancelled after the first episode. I tried to watch a few episodes and they just weren't funny. The shows elementary humor isn't funny to me. Tyler Perry must be doing something with the people of TBS because to keep this slop on the air because his TV shows are horrible. The characters have no chemistry at all. It just seems like they don't give a damn about their job as long as they get their pay check. The laugh track that is used every 30 seconds is annoying as heck. The laugh track is also used at the wrong times which is ridiculous. I don't understand why the TV show uses laugh tracks instead of having live audience. Its just ridiculous. This show is just like the House of Payne which is a pain in the you know what. That show needs to be cancelled also. This show deserves 0 out of 10 stars because this show is beyond horrible. The people who give this show 10 stars must be one of the writers of the show or people who never seen a real comedy before. Its sad to say this but black sitcoms will never be the way they were back in the day as long as Tyler Perry is producing TV shows. He needs to either cancel his shows or hire brand new writers who have higher than an elementary education.

Really Really Bad Oh My Goodness

Author: lceb
25 November 2013

Whenever I would go in to donate plasma the center would have this playing on their televisions. Even with a needle in my arm, blood being drawn, watching this show would be the worst thing happening to me.Whenever I would go in to donate plasma the center would have this playing on their televisions. Even with a needle in my arm, blood being drawn, watching this show would be the worst thing happening to me. Whenever I would go in to donate plasma the center would have this playing on their televisions. Even with a needle in my arm, blood being drawn, watching this show would be the worst thing happening to me.Whenever I would go in to donate plasma the center would have this playing on their televisions. Even with a needle in my arm, blood being drawn, watching this show would be the worst thing happening to me.

Meet the Stupid

Author: April Twist
9 August 2012

As I said on the "House of Payne" site, I like Tyler Perry. But I do believe this show is beyond dumb.

I'm sorry but Mr. Brown's character is very stupid. I know people who are not the brightest but this takes the cake, no one is this slow and this ridiculous. For example, The Colonel is a Vietnam War vet hence why they call him the Colonel but in one episode Mr. Brown after calling him this all this time thinks 'vet' is meaning 'veterinarian' in this case.

I will admit, Mr. Brown's outfits are very colorful and the only funny part of the show. His combinations are very unique and out of it that that you have to laugh. Once again though, there is too much 'baby' in like every other sentence between the spouses. I draw the limit at that. It's very annoying and irritating to hear that every five minutes.

Also, I'd like to add: does anyone know any nurse or medical staff who wear heels and nice dresses on the job? Me neither but in this show, it is the way of the world. Sasha, wears it all the time. No scrubs, no sneakers, just nice heels and a dress. Guess there's not a lot of emergencies at this hospital.

Meet The Browns

Author: jejohnson2244 from United States
2 May 2011

I met the browns alright, when I got off the commode. Perry just says just put faith in god and he will make it better, well depending on god I think he lost faith a long time AGO. Lets face it the more I watch this crap, the more my head hurts and yes it literally hurts bad. How on earth can this be considered entertainment when a strange bald headed gorilla highlighter and his gray haired daughter (who by the way is the actor's wife, don't want to know what they do at night)are constantly acting like idiots? I just can't tell it because it freaking makes me sick. Another thing, his nephew and niece in law are as boring as they can get especially the girl who plays their daughter. The first girl I guess wasn't boring enough so he got the most blandest actress I've ever seen in my life and guess what, neither one of them can ACT. I bet when Jesus watches this show he literally just pukes and says "forget it this show ain't worth me dying for the sins of no man, I need some holy water for my sight to wash this crap induced show out my in the name of myself". Just one Heep of warning, This show will take your soul and beat it, stomp it, and slap it in the name of Jesus then say in Jesus name amen then send you to hell. P.S. This show sucks my dew dew crack.

Missed the point

Author: Rockyj1 from United States
23 May 2014

This show is a black version of the Dick Van Dyke show.....yes it's silly. Just as Van Dyke made fun of the middle class white families & their ways this show is a group of black people doing the same thing as so many White cast shows have in the past....Married with Children is another example. I figure many blacks will see this show as racist & embarrassing just as many whites saw the above mentioned shows as embarrassing for them. No one truly believes that either truly portrait a race or economic group of people. It's just Silly -ss comedy! I'm glad to see shows like this that don't show all blacks living in a ghetto & most are ex crack addicts. There's educated & retired military people...not trash men or sewer workers.

Now I don't watch the show everyday but again I don't watch any shows religiously. But I do like silly comedy whether it's white or Black.....their all funny. On this show, They make fun of each other no matter the color. Old black men can be made fun of just as a old pompous white southern belle as long as racist name calling isn't involved. It helps break down the race barrier by showing people living, loving & having a great time doing it. This is just my opinion now...others will see the same thing in many different lights. But laughter is the key to breaking down most racist walls & myths.

Very boring and not funny at all

Author: FilmCriticChick88 from United States
2 May 2014

Every time this show comes on, I find myself trying to give it try and to see if I might possibly enjoy at least one episode, but each and everyone of the episodes are very boring, and not funny at all. They make sure you hear the audience laughing (which I'm pretty sure it's just probably someone hitting the laugh button). None of the characters stand out and the script just seems like Tyler Perry just wrote it up carelessly. Never found Tyler Perry's films to be funny either, very overrated. But this show, is not funny at all. Leroy Brown, is by far the most annoying character on the show, and totally unfunny!! None of the characters draw you in and it's hard to connect with them. I bet even the actors themselves realize the show isn't funny either. Glad to know it's canceled.