IMDb > "Meet the Browns" (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Meet the Browns" More at IMDbPro »

Good TV Show

Author: nguyenlilie01 from Houston, TX
1 July 2014

I really enjoy watching this show. I don't know this has so many bad reviews but this show is pretty funny. I like that it has some lighthearted (sometimes corny) jokes. I enjoy watching this so, it's a stress reliever. If you like shows like Girlfriends, Home Improvement, or any other comedy family shows, then I don't see why you wouldn't like this one. And the family/cast is very cute and endearing. You really feel for the characters and their ups and downs. I also think the show is very comparable to real life in it's choice of events, and the main guy, Mr. Brown is really outstanding and out there in his humor, but it is all in good fun. Overall I would recommend it for people who like slapstick humor, and families, as this show is funny as well as family friendly.

Just what you'd expect. Horrible.

Author: sylverknight21 from United States
26 May 2009

First off, before making this comment I read around and understand that it seems as though this is a love it or hate it kind of thing. Apparently most people truly hate this show, whereas others ( a tiny few) seem to like it. That being said, I knew nothing of Tyler Perry's work until now, and the only reason I even heard of this show is because it would be spammed during the commercials for the NBA playoffs.

Honestly, the commercials alone were unbearable for me, however I gave it a shot, and honestly, with no bias whatsoever, this has got to be one of the worst works I have seen. Its apparent that its meant to be some sort of G to PG rated "whacky family" type of scenario, but oh GOD please, how are people so ignorant. I wonder, before such works are made, or written, do the people involved actually wonder, hmm, would I really rather spend my time watching this than doing anything else? The answer is no. Anyone who even gives this show like a 10 or something is completely mad, there is nothing funny about it, its just some stupid attempts at humor, and the only funny thing is when people take this comedy into another light and claim it has purpose or has some sort of literary quality to its writing.

excellent show, must watch

Author: rjg2102 from pa
4 July 2014

Meet the browns is a great show its funny it's different, and I'm very upset these close minded people gave such bad review s and that Tyler perry stop producing the show., THIS IS A BLACK SHOW, it's wasn't made for the dry no humor having people who hated.I say great job to the actors especially. Mr Brown there isn't a white show ever made that's any thing like this one so stop hating, it's a great show.but because it wasn't appealing to some white people it got cut no good.I read the reviews some of you wrote and I cannot understand how you could dislike this show.there has never been a Mr Brown in any show ever made, great acting every thing this cat has played had been good with watching.I wish this show would come back with new seasons forget the haters great job

Missed the point

Author: Rockyj1 from United States
23 May 2014

This show is a black version of the Dick Van Dyke show.....yes it's silly. Just as Van Dyke made fun of the middle class white families & their ways this show is a group of black people doing the same thing as so many White cast shows have in the past....Married with Children is another example. I figure many blacks will see this show as racist & embarrassing just as many whites saw the above mentioned shows as embarrassing for them. No one truly believes that either truly portrait a race or economic group of people. It's just Silly -ss comedy! I'm glad to see shows like this that don't show all blacks living in a ghetto & most are ex crack addicts. There's educated & retired military people...not trash men or sewer workers.

Now I don't watch the show everyday but again I don't watch any shows religiously. But I do like silly comedy whether it's white or Black.....their all funny. On this show, They make fun of each other no matter the color. Old black men can be made fun of just as a old pompous white southern belle as long as racist name calling isn't involved. It helps break down the race barrier by showing people living, loving & having a great time doing it. This is just my opinion now...others will see the same thing in many different lights. But laughter is the key to breaking down most racist walls & myths.

One of the WORST shows on Television

Author: Writer01603 from United States
23 April 2010

The route of good comedy exist with creating characters who actions relate to their environment. Tyler Perry doesn't understand that. None of his characters are ever explained, we don't know why they are so stupid, why they act so crazy, or why they are completely nuts. Take Arrested Development, a real comedy, with incredibly inane, stupid, crazy plots, and even more psychotic characters. Watching it however, you can believe these people exist, because they're actions are exactly what they're characters would lead you to believe.

But we're supposed to believe that these blue collar, black folks, are stupid, moronic, inane, exaggerators of every small thing, and derive comedy from it. Family Matters was real comedy, it used it average intelligent people, acting sincerely, only to be drawn out through chaotic circumstances through the superior intelligence, but below average social person Steven Urkle. Brilliant comedy. Where is that dynamic. He doesn't seem to understand the straight man in a comedy routine duo. And their outrageous behavior is accepted as the norm. It doesn't make sense. It's pathetic. It's horrible. He really should stop writing.

Not good...not even close.

Author: forevermitch03 from United States
29 December 2009

I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would think this show is TBS worthy. I think that this show tries to hard to be funny and that pretty much ruined it for me. I couldn't sit through one episode because I thought it was absolutely preposterous! Everyone is ignorant and over-acts mostly every scene. I also feel this way about House of Payne as well. They are exactly the same show! Just aired at different times!

Whoever said that the only reason why people don't like these shows is because they're racist - is ridiculous! The reason why people don't like these shows because it lacks quality, talent, and morality.

I miss good shows like Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Family Matters, Friends, etc. They were funny because they were all well written. I feel that writers are getting so lazy nowadays and only want to make a quick buck.

Really Really Bad Oh My Goodness

Author: lceb
25 November 2013

Whenever I would go in to donate plasma the center would have this playing on their televisions. Even with a needle in my arm, blood being drawn, watching this show would be the worst thing happening to me.Whenever I would go in to donate plasma the center would have this playing on their televisions. Even with a needle in my arm, blood being drawn, watching this show would be the worst thing happening to me. Whenever I would go in to donate plasma the center would have this playing on their televisions. Even with a needle in my arm, blood being drawn, watching this show would be the worst thing happening to me.Whenever I would go in to donate plasma the center would have this playing on their televisions. Even with a needle in my arm, blood being drawn, watching this show would be the worst thing happening to me.

How Could a Show Like This Not Work?!

Author: Benjamin Black
1 June 2013

I was really excited to see Brown and Cora received their own TV show! After their success in theatre and their movie, it was about time to see them on TV. We got an idea of what their show was going to be about from the few episodes they starred in on "House of Payne." So after seeing a lot of their episodes, what did I think? Uh...it was...kind of a letdown.

Not only was I disappointed that Tyler Perry, freakin' Tyler Perry!, let this show be so low in quality, but it's really upsetting thinking a show like this couldn't work! When you go back and watch the Madea plays, look at Brown and Cora - they are funny! Imagine THAT on television; would you have imagined what we were actually given, or would you have expected something much funnier? Now, this isn't to say that there aren't some good elements about this show. They do address some serious topics in a good, tasteful way. Not all of the jokes work, but when they do, they are really funny! I actually like some of the earlier episodes. Do you remember the episode where Ms. Edna wanted to die, and it ended with the characters showing her her own life? That was very nice, very tasteful, and very well done. It wasn't trying to force a joke at us; it wasn't shoving a dramatic situation on us. We were just able to look at a character with a minor problem and see how it gets resolved. It's dramatic, but it's not too deep or too heavy. If the show had gone in this direction, it would have been much better.

As the series continued, however, we were forced with unlikeable characters, shoved with dramatic situations, and rather than being entertained with the Tyler Perry form of comedy, we were "entertained" with the sitcom form of entertainment. We're not laughing to get away from the emotions brought about by the heavy, dramatic moments; instead they're forcing a laugh for the sake of forcing a laugh. That is never funny. I hate sitcoms that tell jokes that aren't needed for any other reason than the fact that the producers and writers wanted to tell a joke. Rather than go for the honesty of the situation at hand, they go for the humorous. When they reach for the funny, it's no longer funny.

With the sitcom-style, I don't like the kids. You'd think that their background story with their real mother would give the writers something realistic to work with. But instead we have the typical daughter who can't stand her family. She can't tell you a thing about what she's learning in school, but she knows everything in pop culture. The son is so much smarter than his sister, and his over confidence in how smart he is often becomes his downfall. Also, I don't like the actor who plays the son, Gunnar Washington. I don't know, his acting isn't that spectacular.

My conspiracy is that Tyler Perry was busy writing plays, making movies, and running two shows on the air simultaneously. Because of that, he often looked over some of the things that didn't work about this show. Again, there are a lot of good moments in the show, but when the show chooses to be a modern sitcom instead of a good television show, it sucks pretty bad. If you want to see it to find those good moments or just to say you've seen all of Tyler Perry's productions, you could watch this, I suppose. But if you're sick of the typical modern sitcoms like I am, you'd probably want to stay away. BOOYIKA!

Meet the Stupid

Author: April Twist
9 August 2012

As I said on the "House of Payne" site, I like Tyler Perry. But I do believe this show is beyond dumb.

I'm sorry but Mr. Brown's character is very stupid. I know people who are not the brightest but this takes the cake, no one is this slow and this ridiculous. For example, The Colonel is a Vietnam War vet hence why they call him the Colonel but in one episode Mr. Brown after calling him this all this time thinks 'vet' is meaning 'veterinarian' in this case.

I will admit, Mr. Brown's outfits are very colorful and the only funny part of the show. His combinations are very unique and out of it that that you have to laugh. Once again though, there is too much 'baby' in like every other sentence between the spouses. I draw the limit at that. It's very annoying and irritating to hear that every five minutes.

Also, I'd like to add: does anyone know any nurse or medical staff who wear heels and nice dresses on the job? Me neither but in this show, it is the way of the world. Sasha, wears it all the time. No scrubs, no sneakers, just nice heels and a dress. Guess there's not a lot of emergencies at this hospital.

Very boring and not funny at all

Author: FilmCriticChick88 from United States
2 May 2014

Every time this show comes on, I find myself trying to give it try and to see if I might possibly enjoy at least one episode, but each and everyone of the episodes are very boring, and not funny at all. They make sure you hear the audience laughing (which I'm pretty sure it's just probably someone hitting the laugh button). None of the characters stand out and the script just seems like Tyler Perry just wrote it up carelessly. Never found Tyler Perry's films to be funny either, very overrated. But this show, is not funny at all. Leroy Brown, is by far the most annoying character on the show, and totally unfunny!! None of the characters draw you in and it's hard to connect with them. I bet even the actors themselves realize the show isn't funny either. Glad to know it's canceled.